MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you, @mickey2942. Unfortunately, Officer Chauvin thought his badge was a license to kill. :(

I am chilled to the bone every time I see his face in the video(s). Never have I looked into the eyes of a man with such evil superiority, daring the onlookers to stop him. He knew exactly what he was doing. He heard the pleas from Mr. Floyd- and yet he continued, without a care in the world.

I would be curious to know how many other officers in the department have marks on their records for unnecessary force? Clearly; if the mayor forbids officers not to place their knees on a subject's back or neck- there is a reason for it. I continue to be completely astounded that not one of the officers on scene made any attempt to end the situation before it was too late. :mad:
That’s what keeps me up at night. The killer is bad enough, but THREE other grown men stood by and protected the killer while he killed. I can’t even fathom that not one of them knew this was wrong.

The officer was wearing black gloves and black pants. He didn’t have his hands in his pockets.
I beg to differ. If that hand isn’t in his pocket then it’s a very weird way to hold it.

Attachments

• D0467466-7D94-44F7-9B61-F59403121640.png
    D0467466-7D94-44F7-9B61-F59403121640.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 68
I thought he had his hand in his pocket at first but in other stills you can see the glove more clearly. But I mean hand in pocket or hand resting on his leg it's a pretty casual posture either way. Clearly was not feeling threatened by Floyd at all.

Minnesota Dept. of Human Rights files civil rights charge against Minneapolis police

The Department will investigate the past 10 years of MPD policies and practices.

"According to a news release, the investigation will focus on policies, procedures and practices over the past 10 years to "determine if the MPD has engaged in systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color and ensure any such practices are stopped.

"Minnesota Dept. of Human Rights files civil rights charge against Minneapolis police

Dear Jax49,

Thank you for posting this!

In the article, the lawyer is quoted saying the 3 won't be charged until the charge against Chauvin is upgraded. This does make sense to me if it's the case.

"I can tell you the Attorney General, Keith Ellison, knows this has been screwed up," Friedberg said. "The Attorney General has a problem, he's looking at a complaint that doesn't fit."

"So where does the case go from here?"

"Friedberg said the attorney general, who is now in charge of the case, will likely have to amend the complaint and charge Chauvin with first or second-degree murder before anything else happens with the other three officers."

"There's no question that Officer Chauvin should have been charged with second-degree murder," Friedberg said. "

"He could be charged with intentional but not premeditated second-degree murder. He could be charged with unintentional second-degree murder with force, which is called felony murder. Either one of those two crimes you can have accessories to."

Minnesota Dept. of Human Rights files civil rights charge against Minneapolis police

The Department will investigate the past 10 years of MPD policies and practices.

"According to a news release, the investigation will focus on policies, procedures and practices over the past 10 years to "determine if the MPD has engaged in systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color and ensure any such practices are stopped.

"Minnesota Dept. of Human Rights files civil rights charge against Minneapolis police

I don't see that the Minneapolis PD is "racist", as much as running a completely dysfunctional police department, with officers who should have been fired long ago for issues. Maybe it is a union problem.

Did we see a huge race problem when Justine Damond was shot and killed, by an officer who should have never been carrying a gun?

Is it a "race" problem when an officer who has had 18 write ups, and is still out on the street?

If we take color and race out of this, what we see is a bureaucracy that is a culture of covering up for officers who should have been off the job years ago.

I guess I can see why they might need more time to investigate. They need to make sure there is enough evidence to ensure a conviction. They may still have witnesses to track down. I still haven't heard whether or not the officers were wearing body cams.

I wonder if they are looking into whether or not Chauvin knew who Floyd was since they both worked at the same club.

I still want to know if the officers ever checked to see if the money was counterfeit.

I don't see that the Minneapolis PD is "racist", as much as running a completely dysfunctional police department, with officers who should have been fired long ago for issues. Maybe it is a union problem.

Did we see a huge race problem when Justine Damond was shot and killed, by an officer who should have never been carrying a gun?

Is it a "race" problem when an officer who has had 18 write ups, and is still out on the street?

If we take color and race out of this, what we see is a bureaucracy that is a culture of covering up for officers who should have been off the job years ago.

Dear @mickey2942,

Thanks for your post. You've made great points, as usual.

I imagine the investigation which has already begun as part of the Civil Rights charge will take a long time as it is going to scrutinize the past 10 years.

The following article describes in details some of the complaints against Chauvin.

Derek Chauvin, officer arrested in George Floyd's death, has a record of shootings and complaints

I guess I can see why they might need more time to investigate. They need to make sure there is enough evidence to ensure a conviction. They may still have witnesses to track down. I still haven't heard whether or not the officers were wearing body cams.

I wonder if they are looking into whether or not Chauvin knew who Floyd was since they both worked at the same club.

I still want to know if the officers ever checked to see if the money was counterfeit.

Dear @MsBetsy,

Great post with important questions that need to be answered!

I have yet to find an article about whether the police checked to see if the bill actually was counterfeit.

As to whether Chauvin and Floyd knew each other - they did work at the same place, as we have read.

George Floyd and Derek Chauvin Were Once Co-Workers, Ex-Club Owner Tells TV Station

"Maya Santamaria, former owner of El Nuevo Rodeo, said that both Floyd and Chauvin worked security at the club. She said that the two could have crossed paths, though Chauvin mostly worked outside as an off-duty officer, while Floyd primarily was inside as a bouncer. She wasn't sure if they knew each other."

"Santamaria also told the TV station that Chauvin "had a real short fuse," adding that he often pulled out mace and pepper spray when she thought it was unwarranted."

George Floyd, Derek Chauvin Worked Security At Same Minneapolis Nightclub

Last edited:
He's out of jail on bond, that's what I have trouble with, why??

I cannot find any information at all regarding his release. This would be a travesty of justice, if true. The protesting and riots we've seen so far will look like a picnic in the park if, indeed, Officer Chauvin is no longer incarcerated. :(

My Brother was called to active Guard Duty in Baltimore the minute the Governor of MD requested their service. (He will soon be sent to the nation's capital, if the protests continue). This, IMO, would be a total slap in the face to all of the men and women risking their life and health to protect the citizens they've been called to serve. When I spoke to him earlier, he indicated that these riots are just as bad as a war zone- if not worse. The idea of harming another US citizen (if necessary) weighs heavily on his mind. He asked me to pray for all of them- the experience has been terrifying at times.

Anyway; sorry for the long post. Do you have a link you can provide? (I'd kinda like to give my Brother a heads up, if true). :confused:

This is the latest information I can find:

Derek Chauvin, fired officer charged in George Floyd's death, moved to two detention facilities in same day

[...] "Derek Chauvin, the fired Minneapolis police officer who is now charged with murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd, has been moved to a second detention facility in the same day. CBS station WCCO-TV reports Chauvin had previously been held at the Ramsey County Jail after being taken into custody in Minnesota".

"On Sunday afternoon, he was transferred to the Hennepin County Jail. Just hours later, he was moved to a department of corrections facility in Oak Park Heights, WCCO reported". [...]

Two homes? I thought cops were underpaid, officially, anyway.

Believe me, they are not underpaid. They usually pad their salary with overtime pay, shift differential pay. They can "moonlight" at security jobs, while wearing their official uniform.

And since their pension is based on the "High 5", that is why the Florida officer, who was "retired" after the Parkland shooting, is making $8,700 a month in a pension!
Disgraced Parkland school deputy is collecting a six-figure pension

(Note: this is a discussion on the perception that police officers are under paid, not whether or not the salary is sufficient for the job).

He's out of jail on bond, that's what I have trouble with, why??

I don't think he is out on bail.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Derek Chauvin, the fired Minneapolis police officer who is now charged with murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd, has been moved to a second detention facility in the same day.

Chauvin had previously been held at the Ramsey County Jail after being taken into custody in Minnesota. On Sunday afternoon, he was transferred to the Hennepin County Jail. Just hours later, he was moved to a department of corrections facility in Oak Park Heights.
Ex-MPD Officer Derek Chavin Moved To Second Detention Facility In Same Day Due To COVID-19 Concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo