Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would LE let Barry or the public know he’s a POI Or suspect and possibly scare him to flee before they finish building a strong case they are in no rush he’s not going anywhere. I would bet they have him under 24/7 surveillance. I’m sure right now they are getting warrants and or have and are going through all the digital stuff like Phone records, text, cell tower pings, computer searches, financial records, etc.. this stuff takes time. I think LE has a good idea what happened and just tying up loose ends.

JMO MOO

One of the reasons of LE being so tight-lipped is they want SM to be found. It is very critical for the case and I too think they have their POI under their watch 24/7. they are hoping for a slip, a hint of where she possibly could be. Could he be frequenting the spot just to make sure he has everything covered? I hope BM conversation with the Youtuber may have given some hint to LE of where to look. Hopefully, she will be found soon. MOO.

It took your post for it to click for me. It could be her phone or keys. IMO, BM would know if they are not at the house, assumed she had them with her but still not know exactly what LE recovered.

I’ve also thought a shoe or lightweight jacket/pullover.

If somebody was missing, wouldn't they ping the phone and find it immediately and the same day? Unless it was turned off, I would think that they would have that information very quickly.

In BM's interview with TD, one of the more troubling moments is when BM tells TD if he "finds something, don't touch it," "take a picture," etc.

It never occurred to BM to express "If you find her, and she's unconscious or appears injured, don't move her, call 911 immediately," etc.

So, your wife remains missing, and you're not even entertaining the possibility that she might be found?

Is finding your missing wife not your primary focus?
Is it not your first, last, and only mission?

Apparently not.

Instead, it was "If you find something, don't touch it."
Because, you know, DNA and stuff.

But don't worry about coming across SM or anything...
On account of, you're not going to find her here.

In my eyes, that's extremely damning.

That 210k reward ain't in any danger of being collected.

None whatsoever.

JMO.
BBM
This!!^^^^^

I think another thing to keep in mind is that old question about how the Morphews managed to afford a $1.4 million house on Barry's income as a fireman / dirt layer. Where did that money come from? Well, what if it came from Suzanne / Suzanne's family? What if their very nice life and lifestyle was based in large part on Suzanne's or Suzanne's family's money? How would Barry respond if Suzanne were to tell him that she wanted to leave him? Where would this leave Barry life and lifestyle-wise? Could the potential loss of this very nice life and lifestyle have served as motive for Barry? It's worth considering, but it goes without saying that this is all merely speculation.

What did the youtuber touch?

The first in the series of 4 videos shows TD finding a plastic bag with “Day #4” written on it. He picked it up to look inside and it contained provisions that could have been dropped by a hiker or a SAR individual. This video has since been taken down as have the others.

If somebody was missing, wouldn't they ping the phone and find it immediately and the same day? Unless it was turned off, I would think that they would have that information very quickly.

I believe that her phone was at home. There is NO cell phone service off of Highway 50 except for isolated pockets of reception, like the immediate area of her home. Carrying a cell phone on an off-road bike trip makes no sense, and frankly, LE finding her cell phone out there would be a tip-off to me that is was planted by someone staging an accident. IMO

This case is so confusing! What intrigues me the most is that the FBI and CBI were called in so quickly. Was there some indication that she danger? A call to police about a previous threat or problem? I feel if this was anything other than a targeted attack, police would be posting some sort of information to the public. It's just too strange that there is no bolo, or alert to the public. I feel like they know there is no threat to the public

I know that I am in the minority here, but when he opened the video with "Oh Suzanne", I felt desperation on his part and I felt that he was speaking as to, I wish I would have been here to protect you. I most certainly have not killed anyone, but I sat on my couch saying the words he spoke and for the life of me, I couldn't do it without shaking my head side to side.

I'm with you. I'm over 60 and that's exactly what I said and how I said it to my Dad when he told us he had cancer: "Oh, Daddy". :(

the silence from immediate family members and any friends seems unusual to me.

I dont know what to make of all the silence other than I find it sad.

Just like some of us want to hope beyond hope that she can somehow be found safe or even found at all, you would think someone from the family or one of her friends would at least want to make an occasional statement to the media to get the case back in the top of the news headlines to help find her. Even if just locally for them.

Allegedly SM's family has been asked by LE not to make statements. Now let's logically think about why:

- LE does not need or want the public to go out searching for SM.
- What need is there for the family to make statements? For whose benefit? To assuage the curious? Nah.
- Staying quiet allows the family not to say anything that might compromise the investigation.
- The media is keeping this story alive, not to mention thousands of people on social media, crime forums, etc.
- If you read between the lines you realize LE is doing specific searches based on leads, tips, investigation. They are narrowing in, quietly.
- Also apparent: the reality of an alive SM popping out of the mountains is nil.
- LE is in the phase of analyzing what they've seized from search warrants, and testing of various items physical and digital are or will be occurring. The emphasis is not only looking for the missing SM, but looking for evidence that can or will prove a crime occurred and point to the 'who done it.'
- There is nothing for case followers to do. LE has already said what they wanted (locals to preserve any videocam footage from May 8 onward).
- The rest is doing what so many don't want to & dislike: wait and see how this unfolds.

Bumping this post because it's all that, IMO. Props to GordianKnot for your perceptiveness. Fence-sitters, take note!!
JMO After 21 days, chances of finding her there are slim, evidence also, but just in case...plenty to see saw about, this isn’t much of a wobble......and if BM has really been looking there he may feel nothing left to find...but just in case, noted.

Last edited:
I think another thing to keep in mind is that old question about how the Morphews managed to afford a $1.4 million house on Barry's income as a fireman / dirt layer. Where did that money come from? Well, what if it came from Suzanne / Suzanne's family? What if their very nice life and lifestyle was based in large part on Suzanne's or Suzanne's family's money? How would Barry respond if Suzanne were to tell him that she wanted to leave him? Where would this leave Barry life and lifestyle-wise? Could the potential loss of this very nice life and lifestyle have served as motive for Barry? It's worth considering, but it goes without saying that this is all merely speculation.
He has a very successful landscaping business, probably does it for companies and builders. He's a go-getter and I admire that.

Do you honestly believe a Judge signed a search warrant based on LE’s desire to make BM the “culprit?” That’s just not how it works. LE’s job is to discover WHY SM disappeared and WHO is involved. If it appears that LE have all eyes on BM, I’d have to conclude they’ve found something very suspicious about BM’s “story.” If he has been caught in a lie he will of necessity become a suspect, whether or not he is called that publicly. Even if this turns out different than many of us expect, LE must follow where the evidence takes them, until it does not, at which time they would shift gears. For the time being, it appears they’re in “first gear” and that is BM.

I've said this before but I feel like it's worth saying again: the fact that LE (read, the FBI) dug up a home construction site where Barry had laid dirt tells you that LE has decided it's Barry. I guess it's possible they did that search/dig on the basis of a bad tip, but I don't think that's very likely. I think they've concluded that it's Barry, and I think that if they've concluded it's Barry, discussion of the bike is a little moot. If it was Barry, the bike is obviously staging. JMO.

BM certainly tops the list of who LE will be looking at. But he’s not necessarily the primary or only connection to that searched riverside property. It would be slack of us to ignore other reasons for LE’s interest IMO. No formal permits were issued to BM to conduct work there, he was presumably at that riverside site as a subcontractor along with a crew of some sort (we can assume he has a crew because he said words to this effect relating to his Denver Mother’s Day job).

And nor is BM the primary connection to County Rd 240 near Maysville which had rangers stationed there from 3am when media visited and questioned what what going on.

So LE may well be interested in people close to BM and not just him. We’ve got to keep an open mind here. If for one moment we assume BM is completely in the clear, it’s possible that any number of individuals knew he was going to be in Denver on Mother’s Day weekend, that his daughters were interstate, and that SM would be home alone. It would be as simple as BM saying to a co-worker or friend, for example: “I’m heading to Denver early Sunday morning, we really have to get this job ready for an early start Monday, I feel a bit stink doing this on Mothers Day and leaving Suzanne home by herself while the girls are away, but she doesn’t want to come. I’ll head back Sunday night once the crew are setup and will see you on Monday at the riverside place for the concrete pour,” or whatever.

This creates opportunity for a related third party to be involved. Yes, it’s not the number one likelihood, but who knows what sort of characters BM works with, or what (indirect) interest in or (direct) connection to his wife a related third party may have.

BM came home to this. IMO someone grabbed her wrestled the bike away from her and threw it down the ravine. My heart goes out to him and his daughters. 3 1/2 weeks and you have both LE and FBI there. :confused: If they had believed in the husband in the first place, like I do , maybe she would have been found.

This probably sounds bad, but I feel like it’s very arrogant of Barry to assume Suzanne was kidnapped for ransom. How self-important do you have to think you are to think someone’s going to kidnap your wife for money?

It’s difficult to find specific statistics because googling produces a lot of stories about Americans being kidnapped in other countries for political reasons, but the last one I could find that happened in America was 1976 when children were kidnapped on their school bus and the kidnappers demanded ransoms from their families.

If anyone can find any better info than I was able to find, I’d like to see it because the topic does interest me.

Or, it could have nothing to do with ego and it's just be a practical solution that was something he could do at that moment.

It could be that if she was taken, a financial incentive might convince an abductor to let her go or that huge reward might be too hard to pass up for someone who might know what happened, who did what or even where she is.

Money can sometimes make things happen.

This case is so confusing! What intrigues me the most is that the FBI and CBI were called in so quickly. Was there some indication that she danger? A call to police about a previous threat or problem? I feel if this was anything other than a targeted attack, police would be posting some sort of information to the public. It's just too strange that there is no bolo, or alert to the public. I feel like they know there is no threat to the public
Agree-- there has been no BOLO, no description of clothes she wore, no alerts from LE to the community about a possible threat of either man or mountain lion, nothing from LE confirming if bike was found or not.

I like this theory, except for the fact that it doesn't explain the bike. If a stranger had assaulted her at their house, he wouldn't have thought to use her bike to stage a crime scene elsewhere. I don't think that's believable.

Unless it wasn’t a stranger at all, but someone who was accustomed to visiting the house when BM wasn’t home.

Pure gold in my view, especially if this becomes a circumstantial case against BM.

This case, like many, will likely be a circumstantial case. Direct evidence is: confession by the perp, eyewitness to the crime, or video of the crime being committed. Everything else is Circumstantial Evidence. That includes forensic evidence, digital evidence...everything that's not Direct Evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla