Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a summer berry bake tonight for dessert and it was wonderful. If anyone has any wild berry patches it would be a good use for some of them. I would think you could substitute strawberries or blackberries if they were available.

2cups raspberries
1 cup blueberries

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon curd
1/2 brick cream cheese (4oz) softened to room temp.
1/4 cup light brown sugar

turn on broiler and place rack about 7 inches from broiler.

place berries in 1 quart oven safe dish I think a 8x8 pan would work well, I used an oval baking dish I had that looked about 1 quart.

Whisk sour cream, lemon curd and cream cheese until smooth. Hand mixer would have been faster but it did it old school, probably took 2 minutes.

spread cream mixture evenly over berries. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
Broil until brown sugar is bubbling, 2-4 minutes. Serve.

it’s sort of like an inverse creme brûlée. Not nearly as rich but with a lot more berries.

TY :) Another favorite from Marcella Hazan is this pork loin recipe--only 5 ingredients and it is ridiculously good. I would never have tried it on my own--pork with milk sounds like a weird combo, but my mom made it once and, since then, I've made it many times.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk...

<respectfully snipped>

I haven't cooked pork with a dairy product, but I'm sure it's delicious. Dairy acts a a tenderizer for meats and even some seafoods. I've marinated and/or cooked chicken in buttermilk, leg of lamb in yogurt, scallops soaked in milk. Cooking meats in milk might sound weird, but it's really wonderful :)

Ha I don’t even really like berry desserts (I’m a brownie Sunday or gooey chocolate cake type ) but this sounds delish :D

I made a summer berry bake tonight for dessert and it was wonderful. If anyone has any wild berry patches it would be a good use for some of them. I would think you could substitute strawberries or blackberries if they were available.

2cups raspberries
1 cup blueberries

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon curd
1/2 brick cream cheese (4oz) softened to room temp.
1/4 cup light brown sugar

turn on broiler and place rack about 7 inches from broiler.

place berries in 1 quart oven safe dish I think a 8x8 pan would work well, I used an oval baking dish I had that looked about 1 quart.

Whisk sour cream, lemon curd and cream cheese until smooth. Hand mixer would have been faster but it did it old school, probably took 2 minutes.

spread cream mixture evenly over berries. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
Broil until brown sugar is bubbling, 2-4 minutes. Serve.

it’s sort of like an inverse creme brûlée. Not nearly as rich but with a lot more berries.

Our “extra” freezer died. Two of us can only eat so much and none of our adult kids eat meat so cooked and froze for the pets and some had to be thrown out. We have to decide if we stick with one fridge or buy a replacement for the mudroom

Our “extra” freezer died. Two of us can only eat so much and none of our adult kids eat meat so cooked and froze for the pets and some had to be thrown out. We have to decide if we stick with one fridge or buy a replacement for the mudroom
Oh no. Thats a bummer. No neighbors or friends wanted any of the food? It’s such a balance to keep enough on hand but not lose too much during an outage.

Oh no. Thats a bummer. No neighbors or friends wanted any of the food? It’s such a balance to keep enough on hand but not lose too much during an outage.
We have acreage so not ina neighborhood. People by us took some chicken.

TY :) Another favorite from Marcella Hazan is this pork loin recipe--only 5 ingredients and it is ridiculously good. I would never have tried it on my own--pork with milk sounds like a weird combo, but my mom made it once and, since then, I've made it many times.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
90 mins
Total time
1 hour 40 mins

Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds pork loin
  • 2½ cups milk
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground pepper all over the loin. Pat it in with your hand.
  2. Put the butter and oil in a enameled or heavy-bottemed pot that fits the loin snugly over medium-high heat.
  3. When the butter foam subsides add the meat fat side down.
  4. Brown the loin thoroughly on all sides. Lower the heat if the butter turns dark brown.
  5. Slowly add the milk to the pot.
  6. When the milk comes to a boil reduce the heat to medium-low or even low to keep the milk at a low simmer, cover the pot with the lid a bit askew.
  7. Cook the loin slowly until the meat is fork-tender, about 1½ to 2 hours.
  8. Turn and baste the loin occasionally and if needed add more milk.
  9. By the time the loin is cooked the milk should have coagulated into small nut-brown clusters on the bottom of the pan. (If it is still pale remove the loin, uncover the pot, raise the heat and cook briskly until the milk bits darken.)
  10. Remove the loin and let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
  11. Skim all the fat from the pot. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and scrape up all the residue on the bottom of the pot as the water evaporates. Taste the pan sauce and add more salt and black pepper if desired.
  12. Cut the loin into half-inch slices and arrange them on a serving platter.
  13. Spoon the pan sauce over the slices and serve immediately.

I've got pork loin cooking in milk at this moment. I'll let you know how the family likes it.

Sorry to hear about this :( We've never had a freezer other than a kitchen refrigerator/freezer unit, but we nearly lost a freezer-full of food during a lengthy power outage several summers ago. DH grilled as much of the ground round, chicken, pork chops as he could, but there were many items that couldn't be salvaged. That was the largest refrigerator/freezer we'd ever had (side-by-side French doors), and we vowed to never get that style ever again.

Baking a double batch this morning....

Strawberry Bread

(gluten free, egg free, dairy free, vegan, lower sugar version)

2 cups of fresh strawberries, diced plus some for topping

3 1/8 cups of gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 or King Arthur)

1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon

½ teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 ¾ cups regular sugar

4 egg equivalents (Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer)

1 ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil

1. Dice strawberries, set aside.
2. To 4 tablespoons of egg replacer add 8 tablespoons of water. Whisk together until smooth (it will be lumpy at first). Set aside.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, set aside.

Blend oil, sugar and egg replacer together, add dry ingredientsblend until thoroughly mixed. It will be thick. Fold in or blend in the strawberries. Pour in to pans and decorate tops of loaves with chunks of strawberries.

Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean. Baking time depends on the size of the pan. I use mini loaf pans which bake quicker and make single servings. Wrap individually in wax paper, then in foil to freeze.

You're Not An Adventurous Eater

You don't take risks in your diet. You prefer to stick to your tried and tested favorites, and are not very open to new culinary adventures. While you may try some exotic foods occasionally, you aren’t technically an adventurous eater.

I noticed that many of these "vintage" foods were made with Jello or plain gelatin. I can't remember the last time that I made something with Jello, but I do recall making Jello Jigglers for DD in the 70s and 80s. My mom used to make a dessert similar to the Bavarian Cream in the quiz. I also remember having a Whitefish appetizer that was made in a fish mold and Eggplant Terrine, both of which were made with clear gelatin.

Now that I have A/C, I've been baking and cooking. So here is a recipe I converted. The kiddos (ok, young adults) all raved about it. Next time, I will make a double batch.

Chocolate Banana Bread

(gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free)

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons of powdered egg substitute
4 small bananas or 2 large bananas mashed (approx. 1 1/3 cups)

Mash bananas, set aside.
Mix 2 Tablespoons of egg powder with 4 Tablespoons of water, blend well.
Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder, set aside.
Blend together brown sugar, white sugar, butter flavored Crisco and egg substitute until smooth.
Slowly add dry ingredients, either on low speed of the mixer or by hand.
Spray regular loaf pan (4” x 9”) or mini loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes 1 regular loaf or 8 mini loaves.

Original recipe calls for chocolate chips and chocolate sauce but they both have dairy in them.
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread - Spend with Pennies

I've been meaning to provide an update on my preserved Meyer lemons that were "ready" last Friday after three weeks soaking in heavily salted water. I chopped them finely and mixed with olive oil and dill to spread on salmon. Delicious! Today I will use the preserved lemons in a marinade for lamb chops, and I will make Chicken Piccata this weekend. The preserved lemons will last six months in the refrigerator, and I'm sure I will make good use of them.

I posted this in another thread and thought it might be a good idea to post here too.
If you know a child with a straight 'A' report card they can get free donuts at Krispy Kreme. All you have to do is show the report card. Depending on the location you get either 6 or 12.
EBM.

My oldest kid convinced two boat mates to try my refrigerator pickles that I made at the end of May. LOL! They said they were “still a bit too cucumber-y” yet. This was after 2 weeks and the minimum was 7-8 days. Now we will wait a big longer. Maybe I didn’t put enough dill in them.

In highly unusual fashion, she also shared her strawberry bread and chocolate banana bread mini loaves with 3 other boat mates. Both were a hit and they’ve all put in their order for their next research launch near me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member