Presumed Located AL - Lorene Virginia Collier, 83, Glencoe, visiting from Florida, 5 Mar 2019

There's a good bit of info in this article from September.

Six months missing: Nothing found in case of Florida woman missing from Glencoe

BBM

Her Kia didn’t have Sirius radio, or any other feature that would allow law enforcement agencies to track it.

Jones said when she learned on March 6 that no one knew where Collier had been overnight, she and her husband, Jerry, decided police needed to be involved.

While family members searched — following the back route up the mountain they believed Collier would likely have taken to her brother’s home — they contacted Glencoe police, reporting Collier missing at 9:30 p.m.

By then, Kelly noted, 28 hours had passed — vital time in a case of this kind.

Yes,katzeye,that's the route I was referring to.Its the one everyone takes to go that way.

There are about 4 other routes that I can think of.....but they are really just out of the way and too much trouble to go through.One is the interstate and taking the first exit off it.But she would have to miss the turn off 211 and go a few more miles.Another is up one of the streets in town.Two other ways are dirt roads that go through the woods.All of these routes are really too time consuming and out of the way.And no one really takes those roads to get up the mountain coming from Glencoe.With the exception of the interstate,but that's completely on the other side of town,and she didnt like interstates anyway.

I just have a hard time thinking an elderly woman from out of state would have known those alternate routes.Mostly because the one shown on your map is the one everyone takes.

@dnm - in the September article above, a family member referred to "the back route up the mountain." Do you have an idea which way that would have been ? We also have to remember it's been stated she grew up there and would know her way around. My 83 year old mom knows a lot of backroads where she grew up that I would never even consider. JMOO

I'm thinking the back route would be the interstate....but I'm not sure as she didnt like taking interstates.You could also go up 411 to owls hollow Rd to Glenn Gap rd,which is a dirt road.But kind of out of the way.

I'm thinking the back route would be the interstate....but I'm not sure as she didnt like taking interstates.You could also go up 411 to owls hollow Rd to Glenn Gap rd,which is a dirt road.But kind of out of the way.

Thanks @dnm ! Yeah, Owls Hollow Road would definitely be out of the way but doable. That said, it gets my nomination for a great place for a car and person to go missing. :( I wonder if there is any hunting along that road in the fall. I just wish she had had her phone with her. MOO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

NOV 30, 2019
Florida woman remains missing from Glencoe 9 months later
Glencoe Police Chief Alan Kelly hopes fall’s dying foliage and hunting season may bring new information in the search for a missing Florida woman, last seen March 5 leaving her brother’s home in Glencoe.

[…]

If Collier’s car is off some roadway, the falling leaves and dying brush might make it easier to see, Kelly said.

[…]

Though Collier is 84 and Kelly said there’s been some discussion that she showed some signs of dementia, family members didn’t object to her making the long drive from Florida to Gadsden.

[…]

Information about Collier and her car have been shared with law enforcement officers nationwide. So far, according to Kelly, none of the information that has come in panned out, and no license tag readers have recorded her car tag — Florida II75MQ.

Kelly said the fact that Collier’s car has not been located may be a sign she was not the victim of foul play. If she had, he would have expected the car to turn up somewhere.

[…]

Kelly said investigators have obtain Collier’s DNA and submitted it to a database so that if any evidence is found, they can determine more quickly if it is related to her.

In the meantime, he encourages hunters, hikers and anyone in the woods this fall to keep their eyes open for anything related to the case.

Kelly said they encouraged fishermen to also be aware of anything turning up on their depth finders that looks like a car in the water.

[…]

DEC 31, 2019
Etowah County's top stories of 2019
Looking back over the last year, there have been countless stories that have impacted Gadsden and Etowah County in both positive and negative ways.

[...]

A large search effort also was made for Lorene Virginia Collier, an 83-year-old Florida woman who went missing after leaving her brother’s home in Glencoe to visit other relatives on Bellevue Drive on Lookout Mountain in Gadsden. As of Dec. 29, neither Collier nor her electric blue 2019 Kia Optima have been found.

[...]

UOTE="alexwood, post: 14892900, member: 109917"]"Ms. Collier is an 83-year-old white female and may be suffering from a condition that may impair her judgement."

Missing Senior Alert - Lorene Virginia Collier[/QUOTE]

Hi, I live in this area. The only source I can see that mentions that Lorene Virginia Black Collier may be suffering a condition causing judgment problems is in a Huntsville paper. I can't believe that they haven't found her car yet. I am wondering if it is an assumption because of her age.

Last edited:
Hi, I live in this area. Please state your source that Lorene Virginia Black Collier may be suffering from a condition that may impair her judgment. I have read all of the reports in The Gadsden Times, and not once have I seen that mentioned. Thank you.

That is stated in the link alexwood included in his/her post. I'm not local, so have no idea if that source is reliable or not, but you can click on the link and read it.

From this link :

She left her brother's house on Macon Street that day to drive to her other brother's home on Lookout Mountain, on Bellevue Drive. She may have intended to take the back way up the mountain, a curving route on north Sixth Street and north Eighth Street.

Not being a local, I've made a map which includes Sixth and Eighth Streets. Would love to have a local look at it, if any are still following this, to see if it would make sense. Also would like to know if this route would have taken her through some sketchy areas.

خرائط ‪Google

Edited to correct typo/grammar‬‏‏

This poor woman. I pray she didn't suffer. A few years ago I was driving from Atlanta to Florida on I-75 when a woman up ahead lost control of her car and went airborne into the median which consisted of thick trees and brush. You couldn't see the car from the road. I stopped and called 911. She came walking out of the brush favoring her arm. When the officer came, he said I was the only one to call and that had she died in there, they may have never known what happened to her. And I wondered how many times something like that has happened to a person that went missing. So I was looking at the google map posted above and noticed that if she missed the turn toward Bellevue, if she kept going straight, she would end up on the interstate. Maybe she was driving along looking for an exit to turn around and something similar happened, she might have lost control and went into the brush. I noticed there is some brush in the median along the way. It's the kind of thing one might not think of. I think it was something like that or a body of water. I doubt it's foul play because her credit cards would have probably been used or her car found. I pray she is found.

This poor woman. I pray she didn't suffer. A few years ago, I was driving from Atlanta to Florida on I-75 when a woman up ahead lost control of her car and went airborne into the median, which consisted of thick trees and brush. You couldn't see the car from the road. I stopped and called 911. She came walking out of the brush favoring her arm. When the officer came, he said I was the only one to call and that had she died in there, they may have never known what happened to her. And I wondered how many times something like that has happened to a person that went missing. So I was looking at the google map posted above and noticed that if she missed the turn toward Bellevue if she kept going straight, she would end up on the interstate. Maybe she was driving along looking for an exit to turn around, and something similar happened; she might have lost control and went into the brush. I noticed there is some brush in the median along the way. It's the kind of thing one might not think of. I think it was something like that or a body of water. I doubt it's foul play because her credit cards would have probably been used or her car found. I pray she is found.

She was coming from Glencoe. I don't see how she could wind up on the Interstate if she missed the turn going to Bellevue. I live in Etowah County, so I am very familiar with the routes she could have taken.

The 'back route' mentioned very well could have been the 6th Street route mentioned before. Another article mentioned that she had lived in the area before, so she would know alternate routes. My wife ran across her family searching in that area shortly after she was reported missing. There is also this report from last year: Searches for woman missing from Glencoe come up empty

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back