CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

It is a failing of mine to try to apply logic to things which helps me understand situations. Clearly, in situations like this, the rules are way different.
Perhaps he thought leaving carnage behind would slow pursuit.....but there I go again trying to make sense of it.

It is a failing of mine to try to apply logic to things which helps me understand situations. Clearly, in situations like this, the rules are way different.
Perhaps he thought leaving carnage behind would slow pursuit.....but there I go again trying to make sense of it.

I’m just speculating but he’s been described an “injustice collector” who turns everything inward so perhaps noticing a car idling on the side of the road was perceived as a personal threat to him, especially when he noticed the driver was talking on a cellphone. Were local radio stations broadcasting the Portapique shootings by then, I don’t know but if they were maybe he thought these drivers spotted him and were calling 911.

But yes indeed, a crazy, raging mind capable of the cold-blooded killing of innocent people isn’t thinking logically.

There was something off in his mind, whether it be pent up anger, or psychopathy or ... coupled with the 'injustice collector' profile. We all want to know why, as we try to make sense of it to bring partial closure. The reality is, how does the old saying go, if you understand a psycho, chances are you probably are one?

I'm thinking/wondering if perhaps he holed up wherever for the night, with all of his weapons, expecting to die during a gunfight with RCMP, and perhaps even kill a cop or two before he died himself. But that didn't happen during that night, and there he was the next morning, still a free man. So he decided to continue on with his carnage, figuring he was beyond escape/saving his life at that point anyway, or maybe even wanting to make the cops look even worse (?)

What MistyWaters said above.. I was wondering kind of the same.. did he see these women driving, perhaps while talking on their phones.. (illegal, right?).. and so he shot them as he drove by or whatever (self righteous, controlling), perhaps wondering why (in his head) cops are so incompetent (he hated the cops apparently?) and why they don't deal with infractions or whatever, because he was on his power and control trip, and he 'could'.

Maybe he spent the night thinking about others in close enough location range, whom he figured had wronged him somehow over his lifetime, and decided to start getting those people too.

It seems we now understand there were 'witnesses' who saw him shoot the two VONs and that he did not in fact pull them over?? But yet we aren't hearing the reports from the witnesses (or the police). Just hoping that someday we WILL hear the reports being held from the public. Normally there is a criminal case to build and protect, but apparently not in this case, so other than protecting the victims, why hold information back? I don't think anyone blames or would blame any of the victims for anything whatsoever. People likely wouldn't be so outspoken about the job police did that night/day, if police were just honest about the happenings during that however-many-hour rampage. jmo.

I'm thinking/wondering if perhaps he holed up wherever for the night, with all of his weapons, expecting to die during a gunfight with RCMP, and perhaps even kill a cop or two before he died himself. But that didn't happen during that night, and there he was the next morning, still a free man. So he decided to continue on with his carnage, figuring he was beyond escape/saving his life at that point anyway, or maybe even wanting to make the cops look even worse (?)

What MistyWaters said above.. I was wondering kind of the same.. did he see these women driving, perhaps while talking on their phones.. (illegal, right?).. and so he shot them as he drove by or whatever (self righteous, controlling), perhaps wondering why (in his head) cops are so incompetent (he hated the cops apparently?) and why they don't deal with infractions or whatever, because he was on his power and control trip, and he 'could'.

Maybe he spent the night thinking about others in close enough location range, whom he figured had wronged him somehow over his lifetime, and decided to start getting those people too.

It seems we now understand there were 'witnesses' who saw him shoot the two VONs and that he did not in fact pull them over?? But yet we aren't hearing the reports from the witnesses (or the police). Just hoping that someday we WILL hear the reports being held from the public. Normally there is a criminal case to build and protect, but apparently not in this case, so other than protecting the victims, why hold information back? I don't think anyone blames or would blame any of the victims for anything whatsoever. People likely wouldn't be so outspoken about the job police did that night/day, if police were just honest about the happenings during that however-many-hour rampage. jmo.

They aren’t releasing the full details because they are treating it like it would go to court. There also are possible charges in the U.S. regarding the illegal guns etc. I know it’s a bit hard to understand but it’s important to do it this way to provide a clear explanation of everything that happened to families. Also if they can learn some things that can be changed in future cases. It’s also the worst mass shooting in our country.

I just saw this posted this morning on the Global news site. I quoted an excerpt below:

Longtime neighbour John Hudson says the killer made a point of burning his uncle’s former home that night, even though he had moved away years ago. Among Wortman’s first victims was 49-year-old teacher Lisa McCully, who had purchased the uncle’s former home.

“It didn’t have anything to do with Lisa,” Hudson speculated in an interview in April. “He didn’t have her in mind. He was thinking of the problems he had with his uncle.”

If memory serves correctly, McCully's house did not burn and the children had hidden in there. If that is true it is sad that such a basic fact would "slip by" people fact checking at Global news.
Nonetheless, the story makes the point that while McCully was a victim, she was not the actual target in the gunman's mind. I can see the connection there. If true though, it still leaves so much of what happened in Portapique unexplained. What did the other victims represent? It often feels like one step forward, two steps back.

I just saw this posted this morning on the Global news site. I quoted an excerpt below:

Longtime neighbour John Hudson says the killer made a point of burning his uncle’s former home that night, even though he had moved away years ago. Among Wortman’s first victims was 49-year-old teacher Lisa McCully, who had purchased the uncle’s former home.

“It didn’t have anything to do with Lisa,” Hudson speculated in an interview in April. “He didn’t have her in mind. He was thinking of the problems he had with his uncle.”

If memory serves correctly, McCully's house did not burn and the children had hidden in there. If that is true it is sad that such a basic fact would "slip by" people fact checking at Global news.
Nonetheless, the story makes the point that while McCully was a victim, she was not the actual target in the gunman's mind. I can see the connection there. If true though, it still leaves so much of what happened in Portapique unexplained. What did the other victims represent? It often feels like one step forward, two steps back.

When the ex-neighbour gave an interview in April, it’s seems to me he was speculating. But now we know other victims as well were shot by this gunman simply for leaving the safety of their homes with the intent to help others. It would appear to me the raging lunatic intended to leave no witnesses alive while destroying the entire community. That he didn’t flee until after police arrived makes it seem as if he was interrupted. In another media report L’s sister indicated there was conflict within the community but didn’t go further into details.

I’m not sure this account below is correct either, that residents already had been warned by police to stay inside when L was murdered. However her children would’ve been aware of the reason they were asked to hide in the basement so perhaps this final selfless and heroic act by L is indeed accurate. If so, it has no connection to who owned the property before her.

The entire article is a wonderful inspiration to how she lived, as opposed to focus on how she died. I think each victims’ family would prefer that, possibly also the reason why the RCMP stated during the 2nd PC they would not be releasing to the public details of any relationships between the gunman and his victims.

Faced with unimaginable danger, the last moments of Lisa McCully's life exemplified her character as a selfless and passionate leader who cared deeply for others.

After residents received word from RCMP to lock their doors and stay inside their homes Saturday night in the small community of Portapique, N.S., McCully noticed her neighbour's house was on fire.

She placed her two young children in the basement and went back upstairs to try and help....”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ting-appreciated-the-wonder-of-life-1.5539585

Last edited:

I have wondered if GW was experiencing some kind of dementia (possibly caused by alcoholism) where he was operating far in the past at the time of the shooting. I have heard of this in alzheimers disease, where sufferers think it is 20 years ago. So he was still an angry, violent, injustice collector but demented enough to believe his enemies were still living in those houses.

I have wondered if GW was experiencing some kind of dementia (possibly caused by alcoholism) where he was operating far in the past at the time of the shooting. I have heard of this in alzheimers disease, where sufferers think it is 20 years ago. So he was still an angry, violent, injustice collector but demented enough to believe his enemies were still living in those houses.

Be interesting to know if the autopsy included inspection of brain tissue to assess the level of damage from his years of alcoholism.

Be interesting to know if the autopsy included inspection of brain tissue to assess the level of damage from his years of alcoholism.

I’d be curious to know what the autopsy determined was the blood-alcohol level in his body and if there were indications of other drugs as well, prescribed, legal or illegal.

RCMP union says mass shooting review must tackle 'under-resourced social support system'
“......Suave said if there are lessons to be learned about preventing or responding to situations like this in the future, the union supports a review to identify those aspects.

But he added it is "woefully inadequate" to only focus on the short period of time when officers are actively pursuing a shooter.

"This approach ignores the factors that led to a high-risk and volatile individual slipping through the cracks of our often chronically under-funded and under-resourced social support system for years," Sauvé said.......

.......The justice minister has already indicated the review will need to consider other "psychological and sociological elements," such as issues around domestic violence and mental health.....”

Interesting to read that. At times my thoughts are "you guys were close......" and then it drifts back to "how did that happen?".
Early Sunday morning he must have known they would be searching for him and the obvious location would be back toward Halfiax. Is that why he went to Wentworth? He did steal two vehicles that day so was he hoping to steal a vehicle from McCloud/Jenkins? Or in Glenholme? Perhaps he purposely went to these locations to acquire new vehicles to escape with. He must have known his time was limited in the vehicle he had.

One has to think he couldn't believe his luck when he never encountered a single roadblock. If not for a fuel stop he would have made his way into the city...perish the thought.

You’re right, if he didn’t have a disappearing act planned, he was heading toward Halifax/Dartmouth to continue ravaging the lives of more innocent people.

Albeit by a stroke of luck, I think it ended in the best way possible which prevented further bloodshed - by taking him down with the advantage of the element of surprise.

Otherwise the lives of any other motorists encountering a roadblock at the same time would’ve also been at risk, definitely the police officers attempting to stop him. So I’m not so sure he would’ve thought he was lucky not to encounter a roadblock. Maybe he was disappointed as he murdered only one police officer? Knowing what we know now, the opportunity to murder law enforcement had to have been just as high a priority for him as murdering civilians. JMO

Listen to this radio talk show:

choose:
June 11, 2020
10:00am
fast forward to around the 22:00 mark
someone being interviewed who has quite the theory(ies)

Paul Palango is a former senior editor at the Globe and Mail and author of three books on the RCMP. He talks with us about some new revelations about the April shooting rampage.

The Rick Howe Show - NEWS 95.7

Last edited:
So according to the reporting on the probate application, GW is listed as the owner of the properties. We know that he held at least some of them with his parents, likely as joint tenants.

Did they renounce any beneficial interest?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back