NY NY - Bronx, E 171st St, WhtHispFem 35-55, UP7897, in apt w/2 living children, Oct'93

As a NYC resident I will first say, the NYPD aren't called the "NY FINEST" for nothing. We have the oldest and largest Police Department in the country and maybe the world. 36,000 police officers and a population of 8.6 million. Have you ever been to a NYC Precinct to see how busy they are? The police officers are promoted, transferred to different precincts, etc.

Our detectives have so much experience due to large population here, compared to a one horse town. They are on their game.

Namus case report could never kept up with the correct investigating officers on any old cases, So why post the incorrect information. Just because it is not listed does not mean it is not on someone's desk. A case this old right now would be in the Medical Examiners hand because with any luck if she is identified that could lead to her killer at this point.

The detectives most likely hit a dead end on this case. You can be sure it was investigated at every level, the person that leased the apartment, to the surrounding neighbors and everyone else.

Maybe she was a squatter in that apartment when the renter was away for awhile, perhaps she gave a false name and lied about her background to the the renter that let her stay there.

There are a lot of possibilities.

Thanks for shedding light on this! I will take your word that this case was thoroughly investigated.

As for requesting info from the NYPD, I have found a crime report request form online. It requires a complaint #. I don't know if the NamUs or OCME case #'s will work. But, I might as well try.

Another interesting thing I have learned is that the NYPD online unidentified persons archive seems to list only with living un-i.d.'ed people. To the OCME with the dead, I suppose.

I'm not sure how to else to say it, so I'll just be blunt. I would be surprised if many (if any at all) tenants had housekeepers.

There was a lot of crime in the city in the 90s. You can see the crime stats for the bronx in 1993 at this link. I believe the apartments is served by the 44th precinct (not positive though).

Historic 30% Drop in Murder in The Bronx As Overall Crime Rates Continue to Fall - Welcome2TheBronx™

The address shows as Precint 42, Sector A in the NYPD's online precinct search. Could have been a different precint # at the time of the incident, though.

I do wonder if this is the family's undocumented housekeeper. Parents of the children returned to find their employee deceased and at least notified LE.

JMHO YMMV
Honestly iam not feeling the housekeeper and people on vacation. I looked up the address the place looks like projects to me. 1993 living in Bronx in projects I don’t think anybody has a housekeeper or nanny to leave their kids with an go on vacation. That is just my opinion though.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Attachments

• 690C0339-49A4-4DCA-A2CF-5DFDCEEFCA2C.png
    690C0339-49A4-4DCA-A2CF-5DFDCEEFCA2C.png
    630.1 KB · Views: 11
@madamx , I really don't know much about apartments in New York -- just trying to come up with reasons that a completely unknown adult would be in one with 2 disabled people.

Good find on the pic of the building!

The whole thing is odd and I can only think she gave fake info. Because she must of had public assistance for those kids and prob got her rent paid for also. So sad I wonder if the kids are even still alive.

@madamx , I really don't know much about apartments in New York -- just trying to come up with reasons that a completely unknown adult would be in one with 2 disabled people.

Good find on the pic of the building!

@ Laughing it’s funny I figured that after I posted it!!!
But it’s so odd and does not say the ages of the kids or if they were in fact hers or maybe she had a drug addicted daughter and those were her daughters kids. There are so many questions and so many theories that we can think of.

it’s just sad all around.

I'm going to be very honest here, because I grew up right outside the Bronx during this time, and in a similar situation. This building is in the south Bronx, and 1993 was the end of the crack era. Crack, and heroin, hit this area hard. A lot of kids my age were raised by their grandmothers because their mothers became lost to the streets due to the drug life. It was not unusual for people in the south Bronx to move apartments often when they got evicted from one or couldn't keep the lights on. Sometimes if your daughter was involved with a dealer, he would pay the rent for you (or pay you in drugs, if you were also using) so you could watch her kids while she ran the streets and helped him sell.

I have a very strong feeling that's what happened here. This woman was likely looking after her grandkids. The police were overwhelmed with homicides. The children, described as severely mentally retarded, likely could not give any information as to who their mother was. Even if they were neurotypical and verbal, they probably did not know where she was. They got put into the system. Family may not have come forward if they feared LE due to their own illegal operations.

@jessr927 , that's certainly relevant information, probably very close to the actual situation!

Likely, we'll never know.

(I prefer my neat-as-a-pin caring, undocumented housekeeper passing of natural causes while the rest of the family returns from a nice vacation! )

JMHO YMMV LRR

Madam X is right; People living in Housing Projects would never be able to have the means for a vacation, let alone a housekeeper.
Definition of housing project
: a publicly supported and administered housing development planned usually for low-income families

Madamx, you have a good NY eye. 500 East 171st is indeed a NYCHA building. It is part of the Morris Houses.

Honestly iam not feeling the housekeeper and people on vacation. I looked up the address the place looks like projects to me. 1993 living in Bronx in projects I don’t think anybody has a housekeeper or nanny to leave their kids with an go on vacation. That is just my opinion though.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Screenshot_20200608-210327_Drive.jpg

@jessr927 , that's certainly relevant information, probably very close to the actual situation!

Likely, we'll never know.

(I prefer my neat-as-a-pin caring, undocumented housekeeper passing of natural causes while the rest of the family returns from a nice vacation! )

JMHO YMMV LRR

..Omg I just cracked up...ha...yeah I like that too!... its so squeeky clean.. love it!

I'm going to be very honest here, because I grew up right outside the Bronx during this time, and in a similar situation. This building is in the south Bronx, and 1993 was the end of the crack era. Crack, and heroin, hit this area hard. A lot of kids my age were raised by their grandmothers because their mothers became lost to the streets due to the drug life. It was not unusual for people in the south Bronx to move apartments often when they got evicted from one or couldn't keep the lights on. Sometimes if your daughter was involved with a dealer, he would pay the rent for you (or pay you in drugs, if you were also using) so you could watch her kids while she ran the streets and helped him sell.

I have a very strong feeling that's what happened here. This woman was likely looking after her grandkids. The police were overwhelmed with homicides. The children, described as severely mentally retarded, likely could not give any information as to who their mother was. Even if they were neurotypical and verbal, they probably did not know where she was. They got put into the system. Family may not have come forward if they feared LE due to their own illegal operations.

Yeah Jess927.. I think your totally on the ball here....I guess that solves that case...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back