I am looking for answers for my sister..

Should we apologize to you for showing her compassion and acceptance.
She obviously is doing what she thinks is best.
Why do you want to bring something positive down?
I am probably gonna be in trouble for stating MOO. Its worth it.

OH MAN NO NO NO THANK YOU FOR YOUR THIS!!

That's not my direction. I'm not putting her down for trying to find out about how to help her sister? IF that's how you took what I wrote? Maybe I'll try and explain better/responding:

Her sister cares about her a LOT, enough to make a post to understand how better to help her. The experience she says, just by mentioning the name, means something horrible happened to her.
There are those who say, face your fears, let it out, deal with it, etc. She was a child, that can't apply. There is no helping a child let alone an adult, understand why someone did/does horrible things. There is no rationalizing it.

She has a memory of something that causes her stress. Like Death/Grief causes us, but not in the same way as being a Victim of something horrible. If we hear the name of a loved one a tune on the radio, we have an emotion. Her's in 100x that.

I wouldn't bring it up to my sister. Yes, I have one and we been through some stuff, some stuff is just understood, we reflect sometimes but move on push each other.

Again, I wasn't trying to bring anyone down or say anything negative. I'm sharing a personal experience in hopes of helping someone. I appreciate all opinions -I don't want to live in a YES world :)

Our brains must feel safe to even begin healing.

@CuriousLittleKitty , you've taken big steps to help your lil' sis feel safe.

Do check in & let us know how to support you & your sisters.

As well as safety, you & Lil' Sis need good nutrition, healthy physical activity, and good sleep. Those can all be very difficult after trauma.

Respectful of a broad range of spiritual practice, praying for you & your sisters.

Best, Laughing

I'm not a doc, this is just my opinion. You say you want to help your sister and understand where she's coming from by trying to go back to the learn about the place she was put long ago? To learn what's upsetting to her? Your sister is still alive and you want to help her cope?

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. What you describe is something very traumatic, like PTSD, flashbacks, just the mention you said of the name gets to her :( That's horrible I'm so sorry.

There's never really a way to understand another's trauma, except to be compassionate and have patience. Taking into account the timeline and what those types of places were like, wow just gives me shivers. She experienced that as a child, wow.

Don't bring it up. Look to other ways to help her, where she may of fallen/not up to things. Do the shopping, laundry, bring a pizza, clean up, just sit there do nothing but be there. That's what I would do for my sister.

Again, I'm so sorry :( I look forward to hearing better news <3

I'm not bringing it up with her directly per say, Im just trying to understand what could have happened for myself. It's very confusing because a lot of things that were her favorite things before she hated after. We've also been gas lighted about our own experiences and lied to so its pretty blurry what happened and confusing. I have to trust my own objective memories and try to piece together what happened. I really don't want to harp on every detail of our childhood to justify why I want more information or how neglectful our guardian ad litems were. I am just trying to piece together the past and have a general idea of what happened. Thank you.

Hey there everybody, I'm going to abandon this thread. You have all helped me and I believe I have found the answers I was originally seeking. Every single person in this thread is genuinely kind and I'm really grateful for your time, effort, advice, and concern. I am getting sort of burnt out now and it doesn't seem like there is much more information available on Namaste. I really appreciate everyone in this thread and what you have done for me when you didn't have to. Thank you.

Hey there everybody, I'm going to abandon this thread. You have all helped me and I believe I have found the answers I was originally seeking. Every single person in this thread is genuinely kind and I'm really grateful for your time, effort, advice, and concern. I am getting sort of burnt out now and it doesn't seem like there is much more information available on Namaste. I really appreciate everyone in this thread and what you have done for me when you didn't have to. Thank you.
Don't leave just yet, I am just now seeing this. I was born and raised in New Mexico. There is a place called Tobosa in Roswell NM. I don't know much about it but it could be another possibility

@CuriousLittleKitty , take good care of yourself & your sisters and know that there are people who care about you!!!

images

Don't leave just yet, I am just now seeing this. I was born and raised in New Mexico. There is a place called Tobosa in Roswell NM. I don't know much about it but it could be another possibility
Nice to see a fellow New Mexican! That's interesting, what do you know about this place? Why do you think this could have been the place? I can not find much about this place either unfortunately. I think maybe I should just accept that there was a lot of controversial stuff and loopholes going on around that time and my sister ended up being a victim of it. I think maybe I wont ever have a real idea of what went on. The best I will have is the understanding that it was so out there and whacky that scientologists could have had a hand in it, which is absolutely ridiculous. I guess that is more information than I started with and interesting to know so, I would consider that a success in some way.

Last edited:
I think the Namaste lead sounds like a good one. I just will mention if there is any chance your mom or another adult she knew were involved in Scientology, they used to a run a "ranch style" school in New Mexico that claimed to solve behavioral issues in children. I don't think it would have been available to people outside of Scientology, but in looking up the history, it was started in 1987:
Mace-Kingsley Ranch School - Wikipedia

Unfortunately, there seems to be no staff older than 2015 found. A 2017 article speaks to Namaste and an adoption agency, La Familia, merging. La Familia was connected in a back door kind of way to them years ago and was cited multiple times for failure to place children in safe homes as well as contracting out the process to third parties. Could be another trail to check out.

My sister who is on the spectrum was sent to a residential treatment center for children somewhere in New Mexico in the 1990's. During this time I believe she was about 5-6 years old. My mother was frustrated that my sister wouldn't stop biting her arm or something . The first day my sister got back from there she got into the backseat of the car next to me and hit me and told me she hated me. It was shocking because, she was never like this before .Soon after this my mom kind of ditched us all. My sister changed after that place it was obvious to me even as a kid they had hurt her deeply there. My other sister and I who are also on the spectrum, but in a more "passing" way would talk about how my sister was never the same after the "Da Masta." "Da Masta" is what we all called that place but, we all had speech impediments and tended to mess words up. My sister would cry in her bed at night and would get upset at the mere mention of the name of that place. She never told us what they did to her there. I think she has never been truly happy after that and hated everyone and everything. Before she went she was happy a good portion of the time, and was best friends with me and my other sibling not really mean or cold. She did get over stimulated and have melt downs but she was still happy a good portion of the time and able to bond with us in our own way. She never trusts anyone or anything now, I don't believe she'll ever open up about what happened or why she is so hurt. I've searched everywhere to find more info on this place and what it was like, even what happened to it. I haven't been able to find out the real name or more information on their treatment methods. I was hoping someone could help me find more info on this place so I can understand what my sister might have gone through and maybe now as adults I can better help her to heal. I really want to understand as much as I can though I know it will always be a guess right now I have no information

DBM.

@CuriousLittleKitty,

I was even afraid of commenting, but then decided to say. I am commenting as a private person who lived in MA for years and constantly saw articles in Boston Globe on the subject.

I would recommend you to contact
Autistic Self Advocacy Network - Wikipedia
Disability Rights International - Wikipedia
and Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth - Wikipedia

• to find out whether there was any history of aversive treatment used in other centers? Of course your sister could have been merely stressed as a young child moved away, and unable to understand what was going on, too. But truth is, with almost nonverbal kids with self-injurious behavior, what do we know?

My sister who is on the spectrum was sent to a residential treatment center for children somewhere in New Mexico in the 1990's. During this time I believe she was about 5-6 years old. My mother was frustrated that my sister wouldn't stop biting her arm or something . The first day my sister got back from there she got into the backseat of the car next to me and hit me and told me she hated me. It was shocking because, she was never like this before .Soon after this my mom kind of ditched us all. My sister changed after that place it was obvious to me even as a kid they had hurt her deeply there. My other sister and I who are also on the spectrum, but in a more "passing" way would talk about how my sister was never the same after the "Da Masta." "Da Masta" is what we all called that place but, we all had speech impediments and tended to mess words up. My sister would cry in her bed at night and would get upset at the mere mention of the name of that place. She never told us what they did to her there. I think she has never been truly happy after that and hated everyone and everything. Before she went she was happy a good portion of the time, and was best friends with me and my other sibling not really mean or cold. She did get over stimulated and have melt downs but she was still happy a good portion of the time and able to bond with us in our own way. She never trusts anyone or anything now, I don't believe she'll ever open up about what happened or why she is so hurt. I've searched everywhere to find more info on this place and what it was like, even what happened to it. I haven't been able to find out the real name or more information on their treatment methods. I was hoping someone could help me find more info on this place so I can understand what my sister might have gone through and maybe now as adults I can better help her to heal. I really want to understand as much as I can though I know it will always be a guess right now I have no information to even begin to make an educated guess.

Good morning, I just signed up for this site today and I was wondering if you found an answer yet? If not may I suggest La Familia- Namaste in albuquerque new mexico. It has been recently closed due to allegations of abuse and has been open since the 90s. This might have sounded like the name you gave it as a child if it was the first time hearing it. Sorry again if you figured it out already.

Good morning, I just signed up for this site today and I was wondering if you found an answer yet? If not may I suggest La Familia- Namaste in albuquerque new mexico. It has been recently closed due to allegations of abuse and has been open since the 90s. This might have sounded like the name you gave it as a child if it was the first time hearing it. Sorry again if you figured it out already.

Welcome to Websleuths @Cookiekawaii. I don’t know if @CuriousLittleKitty found the answers she was looking for. Y0u’re in good company suggesting La Familia Namaste. We’ve discussed it on and off since post #11 and it seems like it could very well be the place. You’re a good sleuther, so stick around and check out other cases that need help. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back