Found Deceased MO - Marina Bischoff, 39, Kansas City, 28 May 2020

Kansas City Missouri Police Department
Please read the sister-in-law's comment RE: the recent update by the KCPD.
What she was told by the police initially and by the family whose yard Marina and her car ended up in is very different from what the police are now saying.
I wish I could cut and paste the SIL's comments from a few hours ago and from the other day but that is not allowed due to TOS.

Also, there was a post on the KCPD facebook from a few days ago from a lady who saw Marina around 7:30am after she left the police station and was able to describe the direction where she was heading on foot and in the rain.

The SIL and the family are playing this very nice and they are apparently not getting anywhere and being told different things at different times.
The family is from Brazil, which I hope doesn't have anything to do with anything in this case.
JMO, I hope they hire a competent attorney.
MOO

Kansas City Missouri Police Department
June 4 at 1:41 PM ·
UPDATE, JUNE 8: We've released additional information here: https://www.kcpd.org/…/search-continues-for-missing-social…/

. We've also added a picture taken the day she went missing.

MISSING: Marina Bischoff, 39. She was last seen at 7 a.m. May 28 leaving Shoal Creek Patrol Division, 6801 NE Pleasant Valley Rd. She's 5'3, 110 lbs. and was wearing a black shirt and blue jeans. She hasn't been seen since. Call 911 if you know where she is.

SEARCH CONTINUES FOR MISSING SOCIAL WORKER
Publish Date 06/08/2020
bischoff-marina.png

Police continue to look for 39-year-old Marina Bischoff, who was last seen leaving the Shoal Creek Patrol Division the morning of May 28.

Ms. Bischoff was arrested a little after 10:30 p.m. May 27 for DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. She eventually returned to the crash and refused an ambulance at the scene. She told officers she had been drinking. They took her to detention at Shoal Creek Patrol, 6801 NE Pleasant Valley Rd. During that time, she had access to a phone to make calls, as do all other arrestees. She was released on a signature bond, per COVID-19 protocols to reduce detention populations of non-violent offenders. Detention staff deemed her competent to be released. She left the station with everything she arrived with.

She’s 5’3, 110 pounds and has brown hair and eyes. She was last seen wearing a black shirt and blue jeans.

Witnesses saw her walk east from the station to a neighborhood at Crystal and Corrington. She came back to Pleasant Valley Road and was seen walking toward Interstate 435. That was the last sighting of her. Family reported that she had been depressed leading up to her disappearance.

Police have led searches with nearly 100 volunteers along 435 from Pleasant Valley Road to Brighton. Missouri Search and Rescue Canines also participated in the search. Police have searched the wooded areas surrounding Shoal Creek Patrol Division and will continue to search.

Bischoff lives near 152 Highway and Indiana. She is a social worker for Children’s Mercy Hospital. She frequents a church in south Kansas City. Anyone who has any information on her whereabouts should call the KCPD Missing Persons Section at 816-234-5136.
Search continues for missing social worker

I may be completely full of it, but something struck me as a little odd. She's a social worker. Unless she lives fairly far away from where she works (and she may, I don't know that area at all), surely the cops would have a fair amount of contact with and at least recognize, if not know well, the social workers in the area. And they let someone who's essentially a coworker go waltzing out the door in a dubious medical condition? I feel like I'm missing an elephant-sized something or somethings here.

I may be completely full of it, but something struck me as a little odd. She's a social worker. Unless she lives fairly far away from where she works (and she may, I don't know that area at all), surely the cops would have a fair amount of contact with and at least recognize, if not know well, the social workers in the area. And they let someone who's essentially a coworker go waltzing out the door in a dubious medical condition? I feel like I'm missing an elephant-sized something or somethings here.

I understand what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense.
However, she is a medical pediatric social worker.
She most likely worked with kids who were hospitalized (cancer, chronic medical problems, etc.) and may have had little contact with the regular police.
Kansas City, I'm sure, has a special unit devoted to interacting with underage victims of abuse, etc. which she may have had contact with.
MOO

Social Work
The Department of Social Work provides licensed social workers and other social service professionals to support families in nearly every inpatient and outpatient setting across the health system and into the community. Social Work staff is available for consultation 24 hours per day 7 days per week.

Programs and Services
Medical Social Work Services
Child and Family Therapy Services
Community Programs and Special Initiatives
Family Support Fund
CARE Workshops
Community Resources
Ronald McDonald House

The Ronald McDonald House Charities provides lodging for families who do not live in the Kansas City area. Please contact the Department of Social Work for additional information or a referral to the Ronald McDonald House at (816) 234-3670.

Additionally, the Department of Social Work makes other referrals to patients and their families, and information is provided below on some of the agencies to which we refer.

If you still have questions, please contact the Department of Social Work for further assistance.

It's a huge area and a huge hospital. And social work and the police don't overlap as much in pediatrics as in the adult world. I would be very surprised if she ran into anyone she knew at that station. Maybe in a small town the social workers/nurses/police officers would all know each other. But in that area a person could go their entire career and not encounter the same police officer twice.

It's a huge area and a huge hospital. And social work and the police don't overlap as much in pediatrics as in the adult world. I would be very surprised if she ran into anyone she knew at that station. Maybe in a small town the social workers/nurses/police officers would all know each other. But in that area a person could go their entire career and not encounter the same police officer twice.
Yes, that makes sense. As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with the area so wasn't sure how things worked there- it would certainly be different in a very, very large metro area.

It seems odd to me the Police that picked her up so close to her home didn't take her home, wondering if they asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital and she said no. Sounds like something very bad has happened to her on her walk from the Police Station. Was she intoxicated or using drugs when the Police picked her up? Did they offer her a ride home from the Police station and she said no? It says she had no phone with her when she left and must not have had any money. I'm thinking it's not Police policy to make sure people they release from jail have a ride to safety from their jail. This truly is horrible because this may be another policy Police need to change. They cared enough to pick her up and jail her but seems they ceased caring after they released her. Of course we need to know what she said to them while in Police custody. 4.5 miles to her home was a very long walk for someone reported disoriented 5 hrs earlier. Was it night or day when she left the jail and I also read it was pouring rain. This may end up a lawsuit against the Police Dept. More importantly, where is Marina?

Here in Kansas City they do just kick people out of jail anytime time of night or day, or weather. People are not allowed even to make a call when leaving, they have to fend for themselves almost all of the time with a dead cell phone and no money. She would have had to walk somewhere else to get help.

As search for missing Kansas City woman continues, family hires private investigator
P.I. John Underhill is planning an extensive search for the missing 39-year-old beginning at 11 a.m. Wednesday.

He, Kansas City police and community volunteers will meet in the area between the Shoal Creek Patrol Division and the Police Training Academy, which is located at 6885 N.E. Pleasant Valley Road.

As search for missing Kansas City woman continues, family hires private investigator

Relatives looking for social worker who left police station, disappeared

“ “I hope to be able to find my sister,” her brother said.

What makes her disappearance so troubling for her family is that Marina suffers from depression and had been very down in recent days. They said it was due to fears of COVID-19. They also said even her text messages carried a sad tone.

“She wasn’t as cheerful as she usually was,” Victor said. “Very down in general regarding COVID.”

Family and friends have passed out fliers near her Northland apartment and near the area where she’d crashed days before. They’re hoping someone, somewhere had seen her.

Loved ones say Marina is quiet and an introvert, but not when it comes to her job of helping children. They said she uses her own depression to better understand what her young clients are going through. “

Can someone please tell what clues are mentioned? This one is restricted for me, thanks!
"A search party found some clues in the disappearance of a metro woman on Wednesday, but what they found also brought up new questions.

According to someone on the search team, they found Marina Bischoff’s phone and keys.

A search team, made up of community members, police and a private investigator"

A couple years ago I witnessed a man who was sitting on a sidewalk in a shopping center. He was clearly intoxicated but making no trouble. A police officer was talking to him and even with help he had trouble standing up. I went into the pharmacy and when I came out there was an ambulance there and he was refusing going to the hospital. I sat in my car and watched(because nosey) and the cops allowed him to walk away. I was so worried he would fall and hurt himself. I guess there is a liability issue. I wanted to offer to help him but didn’t think that was smart.
A shame compassion can’t outweigh liability:(

A couple years ago I witnessed a man who was sitting on a sidewalk in a shopping center. He was clearly intoxicated but making no trouble. A police officer was talking to him and even with help he had trouble standing up. I went into the pharmacy and when I came out there was an ambulance there and he was refusing going to the hospital. I sat in my car and watched(because nosey) and the cops allowed him to walk away. I was so worried he would fall and hurt himself. I guess there is a liability issue. I wanted to offer to help him but didn’t think that was smart.
A shame compassion can’t outweigh liability:(

This is an issue I personally go back and forth on. I hope this is okay to post here, if not I'm sure it will be deleted. People have autonomy - they get to make their own decisions even if they are bad ones. There are very specific criteria that let the police or a hospital detain someone against their will. Danger to oneself or others. I've seen a lot of anger toward the police in this story. And I understand it. It's possible this whole thing could have been prevented if someone had just done something different. But at the same time, what grounds would they have had to keep her at the police station or take her to the hospital against her will? Then we would be talking about unlawful detainment. I'm sure, that as a social worker Marina would know how to answer the screening questions that would prevent them from holding her there if she didn't want to be held. It's a terrible situation, and I so hope it has a good outcome. I just think that adults have the right to make their own choices, even when they are bad ones.

"A search party found some clues in the disappearance of a metro woman on Wednesday, but what they found also brought up new questions.

According to someone on the search team, they found Marina Bischoff’s phone and keys.

A search team, made up of community members, police and a private investigator"
Wait what? She had her cell? So did they run her cell records for any leads? Pings?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back