CA CA - Davohnte Morgan, 28, left hotel for a walk, Mt. Shasta, 4 May 2020 *reward*

doodles1211

Reaction score
Devohnte-Morgan-300x169.jpg

Police in Northern California are continuing the search for a missing man.

According to the Mt. Shasta Police Department, Devohnte Morgan’s then-girlfriend told police she and Morgan got into an argument and broke up on May 4. They reportedly still spent the night together at the Cold Creek Inn before she left to watch the sunrise. They crossed paths again and Morgan was reportedly upset, but they didn’t say anything to each other. The two then separated.

On May 7, Morgan was reported missing.

“There is great concern for Devohnte at this point in the investigation as he has had no confirmable contact or activity,” investigators said. “Family is adamant that he would not have gone missing without contacting them. No family members have heard from Devohnte since his disappearance. The family has hired a private investigator and are now offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to his return.”

The police department is asking for surveillance video from all residents of Mt. Shasta that was recorded between May 5 and May 7 in an effort to find Morgan. He’s described as a 28-year-old black man, 5’11” tall with a thin build. He has a thin goatee and walks with a slight limp.

If you have any information, contact MSPD at (530) 926-7540, refer to missing persons case number 2005M-0110.

$25,000 reward for information leading to missing man - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

"The department requested and utilized Siskiyou County Search and Rescue assets with cadaver dogs to search two possible locations for remains and a grid search from his last known location," Mt. Shasta Police said. "One search included a consent search of a home with a cadaver dog. Another area was searched based on a hearsay report of a possible dumping of body."

Despite multiple searches, there was no sign of Morgan. Investigators also tried to track two cards that may have been in Morgan's possession. One was found to be in the hands of a family member, and the other has not been used.

"The department wrote and were denied a search warrant for a Chime credit card account which was believed to be in his possession and had a credit," the agency said. Police believe that this card was with Morgan when he disappeared.
Davohnte Morgan still missing after disappearing from Mt. Shasta more than a month ago

BBM-What's that about?

Morgan's girlfriend told police the next morning after the argument, she left alone to go watch the sunrise and was walking back to her room around 9:00 a.m. when she crossed paths with Devonte. She told police he still seemed upset and they did not say anything to each other. This was on May 5.

That was the last time Morgan was seen.

Morgan's girlfriend reported him missing to police on May 7 around 9:00 a.m.

Police say cell phone records show that the last time Morgan's phone had been pinged was in Oakland on May 3, the day before he arrived in Mt Shasta. A second ping was done a week later and confirmed that the phone had still not been turned on.
$25,000 reward being offered for information leading to man who went missing in Mt Shasta

Couple of things that are odd and stand out.
  • GF waited two days to report him missing?
  • Morgan's phone last pinged in Oakland on May 3rd? So his phone was not on and never hit a tower while he was in Mount Shasta? Am I understanding this right?
Something stinks about the details in this story...

The story about Devohnte being missing is extremely peculiar. I read the information multiple times, thought about it for a while, then reread the information. So much doesn't make sense!

Why was this couple traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area to vacation at Mount Shasta during the COVID restrictions? Mt Shasta is in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, and I thought that the National Forests were closed during early May. Although the area around Mt. Shasta is stunningly beautiful, I don't know why anyone would travel there if the National Forests were closed? The ski resort on Mt Shasta was closed. The motel they stayed at, the Cold Creek Inn, is certainly not a destination in itself. It looks like an affordable, updated roadside motel--rooms start at $79/night (https://coldcreekinn.com/). Did Devohnte and his girlfriend have friends/family in the Mt. Shasta area?

Whose vehicle did they drive up to Mount Shasta? Did they travel together? Why didn't Devohnte have his cell phone with him and/or why wasn't it turned on? How many days were they planning to stay in Mount Shasta? Who paid for the motel room, gasoline, and meals?

This new article has a lot of information:

Search for Devohnte Morgan continues one month after he disappeared from Mount Shasta

“. . .Shortly after taking the investigation we were able to find video surveillance of (Morgan) walking past the police department on the day he was reported to have gone missing on May 5,” said Restine. “The timeline was consistent with the original report and corroborated the timeline for the initial statement.”

MSPD contacted the San Francisco Police Department for consultation and the Fresno Police Department assisted by checking a residence, MSPD said. MSPD has also collaborated with Redding FBI and the California Department of Justice.

In a follow-up search of surveillance videos, MSPD found footage of Morgan walking around Mount Shasta on May 5 for approximately an hour, during which time he covered about 2.25 miles before there is no more surveillance found, said Restine.

(Morgan) was seen on 10 cameras at six locations. This hour timeline is after he was last reported to have been seen” on the morning of May 5. “We watched surveillance video at MSPD for a consecutive 72 hour time period from the point he is last seen on video. In addition, we watched surveillance video at eight different locations to attempt to track his movements,” said Restine. . ."

". . ."Devohnte is from San Francisco, is not an outdoorsman, and it was his first time in the area,” his family said on a missing flyer. “He is very close with his family and would not have taken off on his own without contacting anyone. . .”
The excellent article also goes into detail about the LE agencies involved in multiple locations. Follow the link for the rest of this long, well-written article.

Here is a map of Mount Shasta showing the Cold Creek Inn, where Devohnte was staying, and the location of the Mount Shasta Police Department (where Devonte was seen walking in front of on the morning of May 5, 2020.

upload_2020-6-11_3-28-24.png
Google Maps

This excellent article has a video of Devohnte on the morning of May 5, 2020:

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/famil...shasta-makes-public-plea-for-help?jwsource=cl

IMO, this video is from a camera on North Mt Shasta Blvd, less than 1/2 mile north of the Cold Creek Inn.

Family concerned for missing San Francisco man

"Mt. Shasta City Police said they received a tip from a pastor at a local church that he gave a man resembling Morgan a ride to Weed, a community about 9.5 miles north of Mt. Shasta.

Police said there is surveillance video at a gas station corroborating the pastor's account that has been shown to Morgan's family."

I haven't seen a followup to this lead anywhere, I wonder if his family identified him in that surveillance video.

Bay Area Man Missing, Last Seen in Mount Shasta on May 5

According to the Sheriff's office, he disappeared while visiting his girlfriend and left the city's downtown area on foot.

A private reward of up to $25,000 has been offered for Morgan's return.

According to the Sheriff's office, a secondary reward for anonymous witnesses is expected to be offered soon.

I feel for his family.

From the article posted above:
Surveillance cameras show him walking through the downtown area about an hour after his girlfriend said he left their hotel room, sheriff's officials said. The footage appears to show him leaving town.

If he purposely left without his phone to take some time alone for himself, you'd think he'd use his credit card, though.
Very concerning that he chose to leave his phone and hasn't used his card. :(

You can find DM's gf - Davohnte Morgan

This is an odd case, it seems like he is close to his family and well grounded in his hometown. Why take off and worry everyone? I get the sense there is more to this story and we don't have all the facts about what happened in the time before Devohnte left the room, MOO. It makes no sense and clearly his family agrees.

Something stinks about the details in this story...

I agree in that something feels odd re: the timeline of events as have been told.

Sunrise was at 5:58am on May 5th in Mt. Shasta (source) with a high of 73 and a low of 38 degrees (29 degrees the night of May 4 - Source). I feel like that's pretty early and pretty cold to be gone for so long.

Does the GF say where she went for 3 hours to watch the sunrise? Not pointing fingers, but perhaps those details could help fill in who else was around or what else could have transpired before she and DM parted ways.

SHASTA, Calif — 6 months after going missing near the city of Mount Shasta, Police say they’re still looking for a California man.

Mt. Shasta Police Department says Davohnte Morgan was last seen on May 5th, on North Mt. Shasta Blvd.

Despite multiple searches there’s still been no sign of Morgan.

Morgan, who’s from Oakland, was with his girlfriend in Siskiyou County.

There is a $25,000 reward for information leading to his recovery.

Man still missing 6 months later - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

It's like Davohnte just walked down the street and off the face of the earth :(

So the girlfriend breaks up with him while they are in a strange town...they stay the night in the same room and in the morning POOF he vanishes off the face of the planet. The strange thing to me is why did the now ex-girlfriend wait 2 days in a strange motel room in a strange town to call and report him missing. My big question is what were they doing in that area? Meeting someone? Did they have friends there? Or was it just where they ended up after a day of driving and decided to stay the night. Why go all that way to break up with your boyfriend? Was the argument that bad? Too many questions and I think this ex-girlfriend might hold the key to the answers. This young man needs to be found.

So the girlfriend breaks up with him while they are in a strange town...they stay the night in the same room and in the morning POOF he vanishes off the face of the planet. The strange thing to me is why did the now ex-girlfriend wait 2 days in a strange motel room in a strange town to call and report him missing. My big question is what were they doing in that area? Meeting someone? Did they have friends there? Or was it just where they ended up after a day of driving and decided to stay the night. Why go all that way to break up with your boyfriend? Was the argument that bad? Too many questions and I think this ex-girlfriend might hold the key to the answers. This young man needs to be found.

In a FB post linked above, the Mount Shasta Police Departments says that the girlfriend came in May 6 and talked with an officer about Morgan being missing. However, after speaking a family member of his, she decided to wait. Then she came back in May 7 to file the missing report.

Family concerned for missing San Francisco man

"Mt. Shasta City Police said they received a tip from a pastor at a local church that he gave a man resembling Morgan a ride to Weed, a community about 9.5 miles north of Mt. Shasta.

Police said there is surveillance video at a gas station corroborating the pastor's account that has been shown to Morgan's family."

I haven't seen a followup to this lead anywhere, I wonder if his family identified him in that surveillance video.

Looks like Weed, the town, has a higher than average violent crime rate.

Weed, CA Crime Rates & Map

Key Findings
  • Weed crime rates are 34% higher than the national average
  • Violent crimes in Weed are 235% higher than the national average
  • In Weed you have a 1 in 31 chance of becoming a victim of crime
  • Weed is safer than 6% of the cities in the United States

Last edited:
So he may have hitchhiked to Weed, a small tourist town 9 miles away from Mt Shasta?

That makes me worried that he may have continued hitchhiking from there. Weed is at the junction of two main highways:

Weed is at the intersection of Interstate 5 and U.S. Route 97. Interstate 5 is the primary north–south transportation corridor for the west coast of the United States running from the Mexico–US border to the Canada–US border. U.S. Route 97 is a major north-south U.S. highway continuing from Weed in a northeasterly direction toward Klamath Falls, Oregon, thence through Oregon and Washington to the Canada–US border. California State Route 265 also runs through the City of Weed, locally known as North Weed Boulevard. Only two blocks long, it is the second-shortest state highway in California.

Route 265
Weed is served by Siskiyou County's public transportation bus lines, Siskiyou Transit and General Express, commonly called "The STAGE".[14]

The closest airports for commercial air travel are Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport and Redding Municipal Airport. The Weed Airport serves general aviation and as a base of operations for search and rescue operations on Mount Shasta. Corporate visitors or geological researchers typically use this facility.

Amtrak trains pass through Weed, but do not stop there. The Amtrak bus/shuttle has one stop in South Weed. The nearest depot for Amtrak train travel is in Dunsmuir, approximately 15 miles (24 km) to the south.

Greyhound Bus Lines has a bus station, with both north and southbound buses making stops

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back