GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a disgraced and embarrassed ex-cop father who had visions of personal redemption dancing in his head for many months (hero with LE cred saves the neighborhood from scary UBM burglar!).

((I was struck by Agent Dial saying he believed GM probably WAS thinking "don't shoot, Travis!," but just didn't say that out loud, even if he thought he had.

At first that seemed like an extremely generous take on what might have been going through GM's mind just before and during that first shot by TM into Ahmaud's chest. But.....maybe not. See above)).

I think you scenario is plausible.

The GBI struck me as being consulate professionals. If GBI agent states that he thought GM had wanted to call off the confrontation short of shooting the victim, I can accept it.

A possible thought by GM of calling off the confrontation would also coincide with his police experience (even if less than stellar).

GM's police experience may have led to a quite voice telling him that corralling and bringing in the 'perp" (no doubt in his mind to the expected accolades of the neighbors put into what, legendary epic poetry and song?) would be acceptable legally. But... actually shooting AA was entering into unknown territory.

Too bad that GM ignored the voice. He could have called loudly to TM to "Let him go!!" as soon as he exited the truck with the shotgun. In all probability, AA would have then not defended himself, but continued to flee.

Perhaps English and/or the hood posse spun that nothing into a larger and larger until it was felony burglary tale.......

There are many possibilities why after the fact of AA's murder Mr. English can't seem to give a straightforward account of that alleged theft. Perhaps one or more of those possibilities helps explain his willingness to voluntarily be interviewed by attorneys for the accused?

E has also gone philosophical over what it means to truly converse with someone in regards to a discussion he had with GM that appears to have included subjects like confronting trespassers.

I wonder ......

If
it can be shown that E made the $2,500 theft claim and if it can also be shown that E knew that the 'hood posse (great term) intended to confront trespassers (actually uhmm...selected trespassers) with weapons, could he be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter?

The $2,500 theft claim and claims of deep concern over the trespassing appear to have contributed greatly to the formation of the 'hood posse and the eventual armed confrontation. If E deliberately poured gasoline on a smoldering fire via false theft claims, then perhaps he is partially responsible for the outcome?

Normally, I dont like "party to being party to" type lines of thought, but given the enormity of the 'hood posse's actions and the fact that one theft claim in particular contributed to the formation of the posse, such a line of thought might be justified.

“It’s just a horrific event that has shocked the entire community,” said Georgia State Senator William Ligon (R-Brunswick).

In an interview Wednesday with WTOC, the senator confirmed that he has renewed efforts to give Glynn County voters the absolute power to dissolve the county police department.

[snip]

“The decision should have been made early on to refer this case to the GBI and there certainly as we’ve seen enough evidence for an arrest immediately and that determination could have been made and should have been made by the Glynn County Police Department,” Ligon said. "And those are questions that go straight back to leadership. " Ahmaud Arbery’s death renews efforts to dissolve the Glynn Co. Police Department

Actually, what TM told the 911 dispatcher on Feb 11 was that he saw the UBM reach into his pocket, not his waistband. TM even specified it was the left pocket.

It was GM who first said the UBM reached into his waistband, and that he, GM had been there to see it. Both of those statements were lies.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bond hearing set for third man charged in Arbery death
The hearing for William “Roddie” Bryan, 50, is scheduled for June 26. Bryan is charged with felony murder and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. His case was bound over to Glynn Superior Court last week after a judge ruled probable cause had been established.

'Breakdown' podcast: Defendants in Arbery case get their day in court
[interesting, I didn't realize Mr. Evans was on the Cooper Harris prosecution team]
During the hearing, held June 4 before Chief Magistrate Wallace Harrell, lawyers for the McMichaels and Bryan argue that the GBI had no justification to arrest their clients for felony murder. Evans, one of the prosecutors who obtained a conviction against Justin Ross Harris in the hot car murder case, tells Harrell the three defendants hunted Arbery down so he could be “executed.”

I think you scenario is plausible.

The GBI struck me as being consulate professionals. If GBI agent states that he thought GM had wanted to call off the confrontation short of shooting the victim, I can accept it.

A possible thought by GM of calling off the confrontation would also coincide with his police experience (even if less than stellar).

GM's police experience may have led to a quite voice telling him that corralling and bringing in the 'perp" (no doubt in his mind to the expected accolades of the neighbors put into what, legendary epic poetry and song?) would be acceptable legally. But... actually shooting AA was entering into unknown territory.

Too bad that GM ignored the voice. He could have called loudly to TM to "Let him go!!" as soon as he exited the truck with the shotgun. In all probability, AA would have then not defended himself, but continued to flee.

Maybe I didn't see/read exactly when he supposedly said (thought?) that, but is it possible GM said it when TM was standing at the inside of the door and raised and pointed the shotgun when Arbery was still approaching the truck?

Maybe I didn't see/read exactly when he supposedly said (thought?) that, but is it possible GM said it when TM was standing at the inside of the door and raised and pointed the shotgun when Arbery was still approaching the truck?
I think it is possible. But, the thought would have needed to occur immediately upon TM exiting the truck and before AA turned towards them.

GM could have thought that shooting a fleeing AA would not be legally defensible- even with the Brunswick DA. Thus, he had a fleeting thought to call off TM as AA was still fleeing.

Once AA began to advance towards the truck, however, GM stated that he did not think AA would stop. He then concluded that shooting was "justified".

My guess is that whatever thoughts GM may of had, the only chance to stop the event from reaching its horrible conclusion was for GM to loudly order TM "No- Let him go!!".

If AA heard that command and TM lowered the weapon (which he may well of at his father's command), AA might have concluded that he was not going to be shot down from behind. He would have then continued to flee.

Last edited:
I don't believe this has been posted yet....

"Don't Rush To Judgment": Attorneys For Travis McMichael Says He Has Been Vilified For Ahmaud Arbery's Death

4 weeks ago
Attorneys representing Travis McMichael say that their client has been vilified, and is not guilty of the charges against him for the killing of Ahmaud Arbery.

Robert Rubin and Jason Sheffield, attorneys for the 34-year-old McMichael, released a statement saying that they “conducted an extensive initial investigation and believe there is compelling evidence that Mr. McMichael is not guilty of the charges against him.”

“Travis has been vilified before his voice could even be heard. … The truth in this case will exonerate Travis,” the attorneys said elsewhere inn the statement, according to WGN9.
[.....]
"Right now we are starting at the end. We know the ending. What we don’t know is the beginning,” Sheffield said, with Rubin adding: “We implore all of you … don’t rush to judgment.”

Attorneys for Arbery’s parents responded to Rubin annd Sheffield’s statement, writing in an email: “We agree with the attorneys for Travis McMichael that the justice system affords all citizens the presumption of innocence and that there shouldn’t be a rush to judgment or stereotyping. We only wish that their client, Travis McMichael, had provided that same presumption of innocence to Ahmaud Arbery before chasing and killing him.”

"Don't Rush To Judgment": Attorneys For Travis McMichael Says He Has Been Vilified For Ahmaud Arbery's Death

4 weeks ago
Attorneys representing Travis McMichael say that their client has been vilified, and is not guilty of the charges against him for the killing of Ahmaud Arbery.

Robert Rubin and Jason Sheffield, attorneys for the 34-year-old McMichael, released a statement saying that they “conducted an extensive initial investigation and believe there is compelling evidence that Mr. McMichael is not guilty of the charges against him.”

“Travis has been vilified before his voice could even be heard. … The truth in this case will exonerate Travis,” the attorneys said elsewhere inn the statement, according to WGN9.
[.....]
"Right now we are starting at the end. We know the ending. What we don’t know is the beginning,” Sheffield said, with Rubin adding: “We implore all of you … don’t rush to judgment.”

Attorneys for Arbery’s parents responded to Rubin annd Sheffield’s statement, writing in an email: “We agree with the attorneys for Travis McMichael that the justice system affords all citizens the presumption of innocence and that there shouldn’t be a rush to judgment or stereotyping. We only wish that their client, Travis McMichael, had provided that same presumption of innocence to Ahmaud Arbery before chasing and killing him.”

This article is a month old. Did it come out before or after the 4 minute vid was released?

4 weeks ago

[.....]

Spin. "Don't believe what your eyes see".

'SNL' Star Jay Pharoah Shares Video Of Police Brutalizing Him On Week Before Ahmaud Arbery's Death

Saturday Night Live
alum Jay Pharoah came dangerously close to having his own "jogging while Black" incident in Los Angeles this past February, one week before Ahmaud Arbery's death.

The comedian is sharing horrifying video of the incident, in which police accosted him on the street, forced him to lay on the ground spread-eagle and put a knee to his neck, all because he "fit the description" of a Black male suspect wearing grey.

Pharoah "says he was getting exercise, wearing noise-canceling headphones, when he saw the cops approach. He thought whoever they were after was in big trouble ... and then it dawned on him -- they were after him."

This article is a month old. Did it come out before or after the 4 minute vid was released?
I'm pretty sure it was after the video was released and was probably a reaction to the public's response condemning the actions of the perpetrators.

It was after the GBI had taken over the investigation, if I remember correctly. The article was posted here in an earlier thread.

4 weeks ago

[.....]

I posted it in the last thread (or maybe the one before that) because I couldn't believe the defense spin and my internal voice screamed pretty much what the Arbery family attorneys responded with. The BBM bears repeating over and over and over IMO.

Any one know or heard when the Grand Jury might be meeting up? I have in my notes not until after July 12th. TIA! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member