Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, the whole German/English thing is not rocket science, it's totally possible to translate things in a way that are very exact and it is done every day. People are just getting too caught up with this - "oh, because it's a translation it could mean something else". In most cases it just means what it means, nothing is lost in translation. No overthinking necessary.
I disagree. Languages can be very layered and a single word may have multiple meanings and nuances. People speaking in a language that is not their mother tongue can sometimes be unaware of this and use a word that may be misinterpreted by the listener. It's always wise to treat translations with this in mind.

Seriously, the whole German/English thing is not rocket science, it's totally possible to translate things in a way that are very exact and it is done every day. People are just getting too caught up with this - "oh, because it's a translation it could mean something else". In most cases it just means what it means, nothing is lost in translation. No overthinking necessary.

Yes, I agree, sometimes we can all be guilty of overthinking.

I disagree. Languages can be very layered and a single word may have multiple meanings and nuances. People speaking in a language that is not their mother tongue can sometimes be unaware of this and use a word that may be misinterpreted by the listener. It's always wise to treat translations with this in mind.

They translate entire books from one language into another. And then you are sitting there reading your translated novel thinking about every other word and what the meaning could be?

I really can't believe that that the Germans would say that they have a photograph of CB when they actually have him in jail! That sounds just ludicrous to me.
That's what I thought too. But for the fact that we can't ask HCW and this topic possibily take up up several pages, I'm leaving it till further notice :)

They translate entire books from one language into another. And then you are sitting there reading your translated novel thinking about every other word and what the meaning could be?
No, but if I was the person translating the book I would want to be very thorough about checking that I was using the correct words to convey the sense of the original.
I will leave it there.

CB raped the 72 year old American but didn’t kill her. I think he probably also raped the Irish young woman as well. He didn’t kill her either.

German police think he killed MM. Why didn’t he kill the women he raped? Adult women are much for credible than children at positively identifying a suspect.

CB raped the 72 year old American but didn’t kill her. I think he probably also raped the Irish young woman as well. He didn’t kill her either.

German police think he killed MM. Why didn’t he kill the women he raped? Adult women are much for credible than children at positively identifying a suspect.

Because as his crimes progressed and after he'd got away with more and more, the more chances he took and went further and further until his ultimate prize.

Miya, grateful to have you on this thread to explain some of these things. Apologies if it's frustrating but some things which are entirely clear to you may be not so for others. While a transalation might seem to have no ambiguity in what is meant, there still can be due to the fact that different countries use different turns of phrase.

If a UK policeman came on the TV and said "we have a picture", it would mean they have a photograph. Not that they know what he looks like. The German police would obviously know what he looks like if they know who he is and where he is, it's almost a redundant statement to also say you have a picture. Someone in the UK wouldn't really say that phrase, that's why people are wondering what else it might mean.

Miya, grateful to have you on this thread to explain some of these things. Apologies if it's frustrating but some things which are entirely clear to you may be not so for others. While a transalation might seem to have no ambiguity in what is meant, there still can be due to the fact that different countries use different turns of phrase.

If a UK policeman came on the TV and said "we have a picture", it would mean they have a photograph. Not that they know what he looks like. The German police would obviously know what he looks like if they know who he is and where he is, it's almost a redundant statement to also say you have a picture. Someone in the UK wouldn't really say that phrase, that's why people are wondering what else it might mean.

Again - context. In every language you have to read every word in context. Plus as I already explained, I think they worded it this way because German law doesn't allow them to tell the public his name or show his picture. So also in this context it makes sense.

It is not to black and white in the mind of a criminal.

There could be a multitude of reasons. It is common when offenders attack children that they kill the children when the children cry or scream and ruin their fantasy.

They sometimes kill them because the act itself does not fullfill the fantasy but in fact the violence is needed to satisfy them, a grown adult can take much more than a child can.

The fact it is a Portugese mobile prefix suggests the call was from elsewhere in Portugal. They will know where it was made from via the cell tower pings, the fact they haven't revealed that location is probably quite significant. If it wasn't, they would have surely shared that information to help narrow down who may have been seen in that area at the time.

So CB received a call and he was in the PDL area just before MM vanished. They know where the call was made FROM, but don't know who made the call? Is that correct? This is moving so fast, its hard to keep track of.

Maybe the killing was a side effect as it were.

Because as his crimes progressed and after he'd got away with more and more, the more chances he took and went further and further until his ultimate prize.
In the rape trial, he was described as a “fortune hunter”. A (live) white European child was of high value to child traffickers, according to experts. Why would CB kill her, rather than sell her? He wanted nice things, luxury vehicles, nice clothes, pretty girlfriends, etc. MM had a higher dollar value alive than dead. Same with Inga!

I'm guilty of trawling too - it's only human nature! I have been pondering over the Telegraph though - last week they said about the tel numbers released.................
"Yesterday Portuguese media reported that one of the numbers was linked to a local bar manager who had worked in the area in the catering business back in 2007.

But the Telegraph contacted the family of the man, who denied ever knowing Bruckner and insisted he did not recognise the mobile phone number."

I know people are innocent before being proven guilty, but surely they won’t just take his word for it? ..I’d hope they would dig deeper into this.

Because as his crimes progressed and after he'd got away with more and more, the more chances he took and went further and further. Also if it was him, a paedophile has much difficulty in holding back their desires. Also his psychopathology maybe that women (for gratification)are viewed differently to him than children, (without going into too much detail)

So CB received a call and he was in the PDL area just before MM vanished. They know where the call was made FROM, but don't know who made the call? Is that correct? This is moving so fast, its hard to keep track of.
All they have said officially is that it wasn't made in the Luz area, which implies they do know where it was made from. But with cell tower pings they almost certainly would know.

Someone else mentioned they'd read it was somewhere in north portugal but not seen any source verifying that. If anyone has it, be good if they could post it.

Unfortunately, I have been on WS a few years now and I have never came across a case whereby a stranger child abductor has kidnapped, sexually abused and then returned said child. The statistics certainly for the USA are as follows :-

“The findings were that among abducted children who were murdered, "in 74 percent of the cases the victims were dead within three hours after abduction." What is not generally reported is the fact that this statistic refers to a very small group of children abducted by violent or predatory kidnappers (approximately 1 in every 10,000 reports of a missing child).

So yes, it is important to find the child quickly, in case the kidnapping is one of that small group.”

Maybe the German police are looking at the statistics rather than solid proof.

You really have no need to explain yourself over and over - if you find it troubling in any way being on here and are having horrible thoughts maybe take a break for a while. There's no need to put yourself through things that are uncomfortable for you - I know it can be interesting and quite addictive going through this case, but if it gets too much - take some time out for a while and take care.

If anyone is interested, if you click on the username of any member, you have the option to "ignore" them. If you click that, you will no longer see their posts going forward, and thus, perhaps some members may find it a little less frustrating to read the posts. Its not an ideal solution, but... it sure works well at times such as this. TedTink, this was a reply to your post, but was in no way directed at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge