Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your church must be well attended. :)

We aren't exactly crowded here. I base my opinion on that. Jmo

It's not my church.

Watch the video. It's from the contact tracers of one patient about how CoVid spread in real life.

It's about people dying after their contact with that person. It's about birthday parties and funerals that real people attended. And when 7 members of one family got CV-19, two (probably the elderly) died.

It's everyone's lives, has absolutely nothing to do with my own personal life. Please just watch the video, it's very helpful and informative and you can see easily why ALL of these gatherings are highly problematic for containing CoVid.

All that happened is that an infected person sat next to a non-infected person at church - no information at all about how many were in the room. The one asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic person transmitted to a stranger (who probably then went on to transmit it to their family or to their social group).

The video isn't about crowds. It's about CV transmission in various normal settings.

It's not my church.

Watch the video. It's from the contact tracers of one patient about how CoVid spread in real life.

It's about people dying after their contact with that person. It's about birthday parties and funerals that real people attended. And when 7 members of one family got CV-19, two (probably the elderly) died.

It's everyone's lives, has absolutely nothing to do with my own personal life. Please just watch the video, it's very helpful and informative and you can see easily why ALL of these gatherings are highly problematic for containing CoVid.

All that happened is that an infected person sat next to a non-infected person at church - no information at all about how many were in the room. The one asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic person transmitted to a stranger (who probably then went on to transmit it to their family or to their social group).

The video isn't about crowds. It's about CV transmission in various normal settings.
terrifying iMO and now FL schools are opening in the fall.. I'm so worried for my teacher friends now
JMO

Your church must be well attended. :)

We aren't exactly crowded here. I base my opinion on that. Jmo

I'm not trying to influence your behavior, btw. I didn't post to influence any one person's behavior. I posted because it is an accurate video.

I'm posting about how CoVid spreads and what happens when ONE asymptomatic person goes about life as it is normal. You can make all your own personal decisions, but you can still get CoVid by going to a less crowded indoor space - you can't know who is contagious, it's impossible.

We all then define how we want to roll the dice - you get to roll 'em as you see it. If you had a genetic factor that made it almost certain you'd die of CoVid if you got it, perhaps you would fold and go home (mixed gambling metaphor there, sorry).

Maybe you are already high risk (I don't know) and you've decided to live your life however you wish. But for those of us who are higher risk and who don't want to die as this pandemic peaks from now until the end of the year, the video and the concepts in it are very useful.

UCLA has a mixed plan, announced about a month ago. They will try to give enough online options that students who wish to avoid contact can get their schedules. However, in programs of study where online classes are not possible (nursing, etc) they will be real world, with as much social distancing as possible. They will also offer a full range of real world classes across their curriculum, but avoiding large intro lecture classes (they'll be half to third size - which is actually quite a great opportunity).

No word on how students are to manage the residential situation, but I would assume they will make all sleeping quarters solo. That will likely change the off campus housing market considerably.

Thanks 10ofRods! Much appreciated for the info! He lives in the Bay Area - so thinking he'll be able to stay at home & take online classes. He wants to be an attorney.

terrifying iMO and now FL schools are opening in the fall.. I'm so worried for my teacher friends now
JMO

Thank you, Oviedo. I too am alarmed. The data from Israel, which we have no reason to doubt, are terrifying.

170 cases in one school after 2 weeks. They had to shut schools. I don't think the US will do that (although California might because when teachers start dying/getting very sick because we have law on the books that protect public employees from public health risks and the State would find itself in a terrible liability situation).

My school is fully online until January (as is my husband's). But neither of us will be able to go back in Spring, either, that much is now clear.

It's not just us. Students are scared too. The online classes are full and overflowing. Younger teachers have many people they need to protect in their families. ADA prohibits employers from demanding full medical records, just a note from a doctor will suffice (all I have had to do is get the most meaningless kind of note from my doctor - but I do have the results from my genetic testing, they don't even ask for it).

All because we couldn't manage this crisis with an actual plan.

And kids do die from this. This virus entered the pandemic phase through adult business doings and airplane travel, mostly. Most places shut the schools before anyone could discover what would happen. Israel is finding out.

BTW, France seems to be opening the schools (with masks, I think, can't remember which ages of students - universities are harder due to higher risk in that population). They aren't seeing a huge uptick yet. They have always had fairly small class size. Belgium is opening without masks for those under 12. Data will be coming in soon.

Thanks 10ofRods! Much appreciated for the info! He lives in the Bay Area - so thinking he'll be able to stay at home & take online classes. He wants to be an attorney.

He may already know about this:

UCLA

It's taken on the role of "student center" in the pandemic. He can even join USC's and Stanford's subreddits to get into jolly collegial rivalries.

Tell him to major in anthropology (ha). It really is a good major for competitive law schools, because everyone else majors in poli sci or philosophy. Or sociology.

Pandemic...what pandemic?

This was a post today in my group that I run : "Has anyone done a Taco bar for approx 25-30 people? I would love any insight on how much you purchased of everything and budget"

sure, lets set up a taco bar for 30 people sticking their hands in everything, breathing and coughing on it all and making their own tacos....what could possibly go wrong?

Good for him. I wish him well on his Academic journey. He might join us here? :D

Not sure "what" kind of lawyer he wants to be - I'll ask on the next Skype in July! :)

He may already know about this:

UCLA

It's taken on the role of "student center" in the pandemic. He can even join USC's and Stanford's subreddits to get into jolly collegial rivalries.

Tell him to major in anthropology (ha). It really is a good major for competitive law schools, because everyone else majors in poli sci or philosophy. Or sociology.

Yes, I'm sure he knows all - but I didn't! :) That's why I asked. He did take sociology at Foothills College, so like I said above - I'll ask him next Skype on what kind of law he is interested in. I'll let him know about the subreddit places. He was also accepted at Columbia - but New York is way too crowded - in middle of Manhattan - not looking good with that virus. Also Santa Barbara & San Diego. He chose UCLA.

His father is/was a lawyer - workman's comp & he went to UCLA as did my sister (the one who died of cancer last August). :(

So my City was sitting at 3 active cases but today now 4. Rally here was a week ago where 2,000 attended. So IMO here we go. From the pics I saw it was very crowded and few masks.

What's interesting is that TX and AZ have extremely hot weather. So hot weather is not stopping covid spread.
What's interesting is that TX and AZ have extremely hot weather. So hot weather is not stopping covid spread.

I heard some newscaster today say something about the heat minimizing the virus - I am almost screaming at the TV- I was in Florida for the winter plus two months and I can tell you the heat does not stop Covid or minimize it and anyone that says differently is full of it. It has been really hot and humid in Florida since the beginning of May

Actually quite a few states have a 14 day quarantine either required or requested.

States are reopening, but many still require travelers to self-quarantine. Here's where
Interesting. But still different than Europe because there are boarder patrols between all the European Countries but not between States.

Boarder patrols can enforce quarantine but there is no one to enforce anything between States except possibly through airports. Hawaii tracks visitors to their hotels and has actually arrested people but you can only fly into Hawaii so it's all done through their airports.

No visitor will quarantine for 2 weeks unless forced. No one will sit in a motel for 2 weeks using up all their money and vacation time, not realistic.

What is realistic - instead of playing the guessing game - is you simply have testing at airports and drive-through testing between States. I wouldn't mind doing drive-through testing. If I was positive I would simply turn around and go back home.

The only reason for the lockdowns were to stop the health services being overwhelmed. Now that is under control, we are opening because the stock market and economy are now the concern.

Good grief - no wonder the US still has a rising Covid19 problem. This does not even remotely come anywhere near to telling the true story or big picture imo.

Please, if you can, enlighten everyone on how the stock market or the economy is protecting anyone from being infected by this virus. That is the goal is it not? Fortunately, most are not going to follow someone over a cliff where the bottom cannot be seen from the top. Jmo.

Good grief - no wonder the US still has a rising Covid19 problem. This does not even remotely come anywhere near to telling the true story or big picture imo.

Please, if you can, enlighten everyone on how the stock market or the economy is protecting anyone from being infected by this virus. That is the goal is it not? Fortunately, most are not going to follow someone over a cliff where the bottom cannot be seen from the top. Jmo.
The goal was not to overwhelm the health service. Hence the lockdown, temporary hospitals and hospital ships. Trump wanted to open up as soon as possible. Europe is doing the same. I have posted the link regarding the Gov.uk priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes