Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other vehicle assembly plants were not closed except for a deep cleaning, when they get a positive case or exposures - they close, clean, reopen. Deemed essential business.

They are probably running at least 2 shifts.
Think of the thousands of workers that have to stay six feet apart so they can have their temp checked (or thermal imaging) and clock or badge in. Do you know long that would take? Plus the workers get dinged if they clock in late.
They all share the same equipment, computers, tools, etc.
Noisy, pull down masks to talk, hearing loss in those environments is common, especially in the impact tool area (“rivet land”)
They go outside to a small area outside to smoke.
I’m surprised it hasn’t dramatically increased like the meat packing facilities.
I am surprised too. If it gets to be above the overall case rate on the outside, then I think they should consider additional precautions otherwise I think they are doing OK as long as their rate stays less than the state wide rate.

GM declines request to shut down plant as cases of coronavirus grow, union says i hope this link works. This plant is close to where i live. What do you guys think?
The link works well, its a nice feature that I began using too ;)

It appears to me that the leader's (across all entities) top priority is restarting the economy then the upcoming election. As far as the pandemic, it seems we will be on our own - all my honest opinion.

My plan is to prepare for a second wave and to continue following the advice of the medical advisors.

This op ed writer in The Atlantic (under "Ideas"), seems to think it is trivial that people have to go back to work to survive, and therefore have had to make hard choices. Instead, he writes, sensationally:

"Thanks to the effort of millions of people, we were close to a great success story. But because of the failures of Trump and Chauvin, of the CDC and the WHO, of public-health experts and Fox News hosts, we are, instead, likely to give up—and tolerate that hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens will die needless deaths."

This op ed writer in The Atlantic (under "Ideas"), seems to think it is trivial that people have to go back to work to survive, and therefore have had to make hard choices. Instead, he writes, sensationally:

"Thanks to the effort of millions of people, we were close to a great success story. But because of the failures of Trump and Chauvin, of the CDC and the WHO, of public-health experts and Fox News hosts, we are, instead, likely to give up—and tolerate that hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens will die needless deaths."
I could not agree more. Although I wear a mask, I'm beginning to feel like an alien. It's like everything is going back to a pre-virus normal without, of course, things being normal, and I keep wondering if coronavirus will be taken seriously again. It seems to me that Americans, as a whole, have become uncaring and just want to get back to their own normal lives no matter if others are hospitalized and dying. I never thought I would see this side of so many individuals.

I could not agree more. Although I wear a mask, I'm beginning to feel like an alien. It's like everything is going back to a pre-virus normal without, of course, things being normal, and I keep wondering if coronavirus will be taken seriously again. It seems to me that Americans, as a whole, have become uncaring and just want to get back to their own normal lives no matter if others are hospitalized and dying. I never thought I would see this side of so many individuals.

Like I said in a prior post, this virus is polarizing by its very nature: 80% of the people who get infected either have no symptoms or their symptoms are mild. This virus has an affinity for people with a weakened immune system, which includes the elderly. So what has happened is the 80% are like, I am going to live normally, no problem: i am not going to sacrifice my normal life for those who get very sick or may die. There are always exceptions - some very fit young people have contracted the virus- most recover, a few have passed away. So those of us who are in that 20% have to remain as vigilant as we can---there is another element to all of this: politics: masks have become a political issue: it is absurd but true.

Right now, I miss my Great Grandmother. She died when she was 103. She was in her 30's during the Pandemic in 1918. I wish so much to be able to talk to her about it. What happened? How did everything get better?

And remember, after the Pandemic, there was the Great Depression about 10 years later.

My Great grandmother always had an immaculate home. Very minimalist. No clutter. No debt. Every thing they bought, was with cash.

I wonder if the Pandemic she lived through changed her. Too bad we just don't have those folks around.

I wish that I could meet your Great Grandmother too. Perhaps she has left you a legacy of her influence that is part of you today.

I'm betting 12K is on the lower end for cost these days. Average people i know have been spending that amount for years. It is insane to me as well, but to each his own.

lol where I live, the average wedding is around $60k

I eloped and we had a small party in our backyard later on, and even that cost us $10k

Coronavirus: Beijing shuts food market and goes into 'wartime emergency mode' after spike in COVID-19 cases

A district of Beijing is on a "wartime emergency" footing and tourism has been banned in the Chinese capital after a spike in coronavirus cases centred around a food market has sparked fears of a fresh outbreak.

The move comes amid mounting concern over a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Eleven neighbourhoods around the wholesale market in the city's southwestern Fengtai district have gone into lockdown, where an official said it was in "wartime emergency mode".

Like I said in a prior post, this virus is polarizing by its very nature: 80% of the people who get infected either have no symptoms or their symptoms are mild. This virus has an affinity for people with a weakened immune system, which includes the elderly. So what has happened is the 80% are like, I am going to live normally, no problem: i am not going to sacrifice my normal life for those who get very sick or may die. There are always exceptions - some very fit young people have contracted the virus- most recover, a few have passed away. So those of us who are in that 20% have to remain as vigilant as we can---there is another element to all of this: politics: masks have become a political issue: it is absurd but true.

Yes, I agree with you, but note that it's not this way everywhere. I see a huge amount of support from the working age people where I live. Early in the Covid reports, I believe it was Korea, that was going through an election. In their reports, they pointed out how detrimental it is when anything to do with Covid becomes political. A successful country will have leaders who agree to set aside all partisanship in favour of making the best decisions for their people.

Yes, I agree with you, but note that it's not this way everywhere. I see a huge amount of support from the working age people where I live. Early in the Covid reports, I believe it was Korea, that was going through an election. In their reports, they pointed out how detrimental it is when anything to do with Covid becomes political. A successful country will have leaders who agree to set aside all partisanship in favour of making the best decisions for their people.
Well, we can see what happened here. No more comments necessary.

Sadly (and tragically) we do not have those type of leaders at this time (save for a few)- here in the United States. If we did we would not be in the position we are in.

According to these articles and a few more, there are Americans crossing the currently closed Canadian southern border saying they are driving to Alaska - a loophole.

The Canada-U.S. border is closed, but Americans are still coming through. Here's how.

They are not quarantining as per directives - they are vacationing in various tourist spots not on the way to Alaska. In one instance an American couple confesses to a waitress in Banff that they lied in order to get across.

Someone asked yesterday on this thread how Americans are acting irresponsibly.

Nice of this man to figure this out AFTER too many deaths---
Well he does qualify it. They did have a large amount of care home deaths.

"Dr Tegnell, who is Sweden's state epidemiologist and in charge of the country's response to Covid-19, told BBC News in April that the high death toll was mainly because homes for the elderly had been unable to keep the disease out, although he emphasised that "does not disqualify our strategy as a whole".

p08bdghg.jpg

Media captionSwedish state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell argued in April that Sweden’s strategy is largely working.

Now he has told Swedish public radio: "If we were to encounter the same disease again, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done." "

As an example about 8 countries have higher deaths per million including the UK and Belgium. Also 10 US states have a higher death rate.

Per million Deaths cases

Sweden 483 and 5,045
UK 614 and 4,337
USA 354 and 6,436
Ten US states are higher than Sweden eg NY is highest with 1,587 deaths and 20,754 cases per million.

Last edited:
Doesn't the US wash chicken in bleach though, to kill salmonella?

I suppose that's one reason. The real reason is so that the surface of the chicken (which is swabbed) will be free of pathogens. It does nothing to remove other contaminants deeper in the chicken parts. Since chickens sometimes have other kinds of infections, the bleach just makes it possible for the authorities to say it passes. It could still have salmonella (we have more outbreaks of it than any other industrialized nation), and it certainly could still have other contaminants.

I don't eat it. We haven't eaten it in years, and I think one reason that someone in my broader circle of family and friends gets some form of food borne illness fairly regularly (daughter is recovering from a bout 3 weeks ago). Anyway, the stats you read about the US having more food borne illness are true. As a result, many people overcook all their food, especially chicken. Maybe that's why we like KFC, at least the deep frying kills most things. But it sure isn't healthy to do it that way.

Not all our chicken is chlorinated, so many of us do not buy that kind of chicken. Some grocery chains ban it, as well (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, last time I checked).

What's crazy is that the US is demanding that UK not be allowed to label chicken as coming from the US in the first place.

According to these articles and a few more, there are Americans crossing the currently closed Canadian southern border saying they are driving to Alaska - a loophole.

The Canada-U.S. border is closed, but Americans are still coming through. Here's how.

They are not quarantining as per directives - they are vacationing in various tourist spots not on the way to Alaska. In one instance an American couple confesses to a waitress in Banff that they lied in order to get across.

Someone asked yesterday on this thread how Americans are acting irresponsibly.

Great. Just great. /s

I am ashamed of the behavior of about ⅓ of my fellow citizens (perhaps more).

Parts of Beijing locked down after dozens of people test positive for Covid-19

DOZENS OF PEOPLE tested positive for Covid-19 in Beijing as parts of the city were locked down today after the emergence of a new cluster linked to a wholesale food market.

People were ordered to stay home at 11 residential estates in south Beijing’s Fengtai district and the nearby Xinfadi market was closed as authorities raced to contain the outbreak that has fuelled fears of a resurgence in local transmission.

Most of the six new domestic infections reported today were linked to the meat and vegetable market, the National Health Commission said.

But another 45 asymptomatic cases — which China counts separately — were detected after mass testing of nearly 2,000 workers at the market yesterday, city health official Pang Xinghuo later told reporters.

They have been placed under medical observation, Pang said.

Coronavirus | Beijing shuts largest wholesale market Xinfadi after six new COVID-19 cases reported

This article seems to mention 6 markets. Also gives the source as a cutting board used for imported salmon.

Last edited:
We have been invited to a small outdoor gathering tomorrow afternoon. There will be 6 or 7 adults and we will be in one couple's back patio/yard. Social distancing will be observed. DH and I will wear masks, and I hope everyone else will, too. We will take our own beverages/snacks.

This is our first in-person social event since the shutdown. Even though I feel that it will be safe, I'm still a little worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus