Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
In thinking about ways they may find her (and at this point I really do think one can assume she is no longer alive), I just noticed that Colorado abolished the death penalty in 2020. One tool to find a body is to have a known suspect agree to lead LE to the location perhaps in exchange for leniency on that. Won’t have that option here. I think this case is going to take some time to build with old fashioned shoe leather and wide nets cast through surveillance video, DNA, circumstantial evidence as well. Similar to the Dulos case. We’ll see.
Actually, the DP can still be used in Colorado for crimes committed BEFORE July 1, 2020.
Just last week the prosecutor in the Stauch case said he has not ruled it out for her.
IMO he won’t, considering our Governor has already commuted the sentences of death row inmates to LWOP.
Prosecutors not ruling out possible death penalty case against Letecia Stauch
ah, thanks for clarifying this! Wasn’t aware of that. Good to know! And yes, looked like there were commutations of some death row sentences.

This bothers me so much. "The key is the difference between factual guilt (what the defendant actually did) and legal guilt (what a prosecutor can prove). A good criminal defense lawyer asks not, “Did my client do it?” but rather, “Can the government prove that my client did it?” No matter what the defendant has done, he is not legally guilty until a prosecutor offers enough evidence to persuade a judge or jury to convict." quoted from Representing a Client the Lawyer Thinks Is Guilty

My question would be, ethically, how can a defense attorney rigorously defend someone who they know to be factually guilty, but they believe guilt cannot be proven in court of law. I seriously wonder how they sleep at night? Unless, that Defense Attorney lacks ethics? I would clearly not make an effective Defense Attorney!

I think about this often, especially with the advancements in DNA testing, etc. which IMHO make it easier to show factual and court-related guilt. Not trying to go off on a tangent, but this case brings it to the forefront of my mind.

Yeah, I have no problem with zealously forcing the prosecution to prove its case, or lose.

But making up b.s. stories to sway a jury, like a bunch of satan worshipers in a van stole the pregnant woman who went missing, while supposedly walking her dog, or blaming an innocent grandfather for the death of his treasured granddaughter and insinuating he molested her, those are things we have seen too often in high profile criminal cases, from defense attorneys.

I am sorry, I speculated that even tho the rain could have washed away cat tracks, then the dog tracks from the search also would have been washed away. No tracks, before or after. I believe the sheriff may have explained this or later BM. I was actually rewording your post, and realized that, I’m a bit foggy on the east coast. My post earlier; we have only 4 pieces of evidence over 20 yrs, of bobcats on our property-1 sighting. I think evidence of a mountain lion is going to be hard to track, even w/ dogs. We aren’t dog owners, just dog lovers, but I think dogs would be more accurate following scent on the invisible tracks than the visible tracks. I believe a male lion has a heavier scent. I wouldn’t rule out lion attack on rarity, more on the expert trackers’ , with the dogs , conclusions. the likelihood of lion attack is slim, I certainly can’t prove it from SC IMO.

Ah. Got it.

Our fire departments are mostly volunteers, unless you live in the city. There are 6am many unknowns that surrounding the case. With the unknowns it's hard to make a decision on what, when, where. I haven't heard LE confirm how the bike was found
I really haven't seen anything confirmed. Her daughter's have to be a emotional wreck. I can say this tho, I want her to be found so her girls won't be left??????.That's horrific feelings I Would really like to see These crimes to go away. I know I don't have a bubble on a island to live in. I can wish, dream and hope tho.

I'm pretty sure he's never been employed at any fire department. He would need a paycheck to qualify for the exemption and he would have had to move to CO to take that job in the fire department.

He was a volunteer fireman. All the departments are run on volunteers recruited by paid chiefs with a few paid position.

I don't know if it's a requirement, but I've seen many vehicles in my decades of living with variations of "Volunteer Fireman" and "Volunteer Firefighter" decals. Mentioning it because it would be something to help identify a vehicle.

I also don't know if all locations have the same requirements to be a volunteer firefighter, but where I live, you have to graduate from an accredited fire academy, pass a background investigation, have a state EMT or Paramedic card and keep up annual training among other requirements. Takes a dedicated and talented individual to be a volunteer.

The qualifications, benefits, and annual requirements to remain a volunteer firefighter are available at the Chaffee County Fire website. Volunteers are paid a per call stipend at $5 per call that's paid every December. Probably the best unknown benefits for volunteer firefighters is their eligibility to earn pension credit. It's also been reported that BM/SM were often seen together at the local Gym and a gym membership also cited as a benefit.

https://www.chaffeecountyfire.org/

Last edited:
Agreed. I listened to "Dad with a phone "and it also struck me that when he was talking about the Cat or abduction theory he is factual and not at all emotional.
I read on several threads here that BM hunted game and that his house had hunting trophies on the wall. After reading this, it makes the cat theory even more suspicious, the fact he was talking about with Dad with a phone shows he is still pushing the theory.

In fairness to BM, it might have been more practical for someone local to call 911. I doubt BM had the direct phone number to the police station in his phone. I think if you call 911, operators will connect you with the closest 911 tower/location. He might have been several hours from home when 911 was called. I am no tech expert, so MOO.

If someone would be kind enough to answer a couple of questions. I am way behind trying to catch up:).

Has it been confirmed anywhere what time BM actually arrived back in Maysville on MD? I thought I read somewhere that he returned home at 9pm. Was that after he had tried to join the search parties, or was he just rolling into town? Did he stay at their house that night?

TIA
When a family member is missing practicalities should go out the window immediately. Can you imagine learning that your child is missing and saying, "Hmm. Okay. Now, what's the most PRACTICAL thing to do since I'm out of town? As a parent, my knowledge is extensive and would be invaluable in this situation. But I don't have that number. Sure, I could Google it in a few seconds with my phone. But it would be more practical to have my other child call the neighbor lady who would only know the bare minimum about this whole situation or where to look. Or I could call the neighbor lady, myself, and engage in several minutes of 'wait, what?!?!' with her."

To be honest, not only is it odd and irresponsible of BM, but it's not easier or more "practical" to go through the neighbor because he would have had additional steps plus he'd worry his kids.

Its MUCH more likely that he didn't want to be trapped in his car and on the phone with 911 for any part of the long drive home from Denver. We've all heard how many questions 911 operators ask, and BM would have been compelled to answer every last one or risk sounding extremely guilty. It didn't work all that well, because NOT calling is also suspicious, but it's better than a Chris Watts debacle.

I will be honest and say that I am on the fence and not leaning either way BUT it’s the little that we do already know and BM’s chat with Ty that is pointing the finger back at himself and this is where the questions come up.....we will soon hear ( I hope ) and either way I hope SM is located / recovered . If BM is involved then it’s so sad that she survived cancer twice ,only to suffer such a fate and it makes me question is in fact BM took out large life Insurance policies on SM thinking that she would die from the cancer and both times she was strong enough to beat it thus scuppering his plans and therefore he committed the ultimate sin , all for money ? I am again not saying that this is the case , it’s merely thoughts on paper and I apologise for the graphic nature of those thoughts but we have to examine all aspects and not just the nicer parts but the ugly parts of the investigation too I’m afraid!
So true! And what's worse is if she now wanted to leave him and take "his money" now that she'd survived and realized "life's too short" etc.

There is zero chance that a cougar, or bear took Susanne. Zero. The area where the bike was found was searched thoroughly – with trained search dogs. I grew up working with cougar hounds, and they would not miss anything – it's impossible. You can guarantee that not one blade of grass was left unturned within the immediate area, and that is where the remains would be if it was animal predation. A cougar, or bear, would be around for 2 or 3 days before it moved on....and wouldn't expend any energy on moving a kill, unless it were in the middle of the road. Further, there would be remains. Tracking dogs would loose their mind if there were a predator there, on a kill.

Of all the variables in this case, you CAN trust the dogs. All the humans involved are making mistakes by the minute, but the dogs, nope.

When a family member is missing practicalities should go out the window immediately. Can you imagine learning that your child is missing and saying, "Hmm. Okay. Now, what's the most PRACTICAL thing to do since I'm out of town? As a parent, my knowledge is extensive and would be invaluable in this situation. But I don't have that number. Sure, I could Google it in a few seconds with my phone. But it would be more practical to have my other child call the neighbor lady who would only know the bare minimum about this whole situation or where to look. Or I could call the neighbor lady, myself, and engage in several minutes of 'wait, what?!?!' with her."

To be honest, not only is it odd and irresponsible of BM, but it's not easier or more "practical" to go through the neighbor because he would have had additional steps plus he'd worry his kids.

Its MUCH more likely that he didn't want to be trapped in his car and on the phone with 911 for any part of the long drive home from Denver. We've all heard how many questions 911 operators ask, and BM would have been compelled to answer every last one or risk sounding extremely guilty. It didn't work all that well, because NOT calling is also suspicious, but it's better than a Chris Watts debacle.

Do not compare this to the Watts case.

If you are not at the scene, then the 911 operator would certainly ask if there is someone who could check out the house to see if she is there. Those operators absolutely prefer someone at the house instead of someone driving home, who is just relaying information.

The neighbor called him back, and after that he said: ''Call 911.'' The neighbor is there at the scene, she is the first person to meet LE, so I still think that was a good idea.

ITA about people not coming forward with statements.
It occurs to me that this case is also affected by the current social distancing going on. If large public gatherings were allowed, IMO we would be seeing one or more candlelight vigils, etc. The MSM would definitely cover them and would find family members/friends willing to express a few feelings on SM and perhaps both SM and BM.
JMO

ITA about people not coming forward with statements.
It occurs to me that this case is also affected by the current social distancing going on. If large public gatherings were allowed, IMO we would be seeing one or more candlelight vigils, etc. The MSM would definitely cover them and would find family members/friends willing to express a few feelings on SM and perhaps both SM and BM.
JMO

To my knowledge, there were 2 candlelight vigils: one in Alexandria (where they also had a prayer vigil, and another in the Salida area. Both towns are also decorating with yellow and aqua ribbons.

Also, having lived in Alexandria for many years, I still have many friends from the area. I have read a number of posts from people in the area who have known Barry and Suzanne for years (many have known them since childhood). Everyone says that Suzanne and Barry were the perfect couple, that they helped people in need by giving them jobs, and that Barry would never harm Suzanne. I know Suzanne's birth family, but don't know Barry, so I cannot give a personal opinion about him one way or the other.

I just have to say it cracks me up when I see all this tutting about the neighbor being a “senior citizen.” I’m close to 70 and am perfectly capable of walking several miles and I could easily check on a neighbor using my full faculties. I’m guessing that any “senior” living in any kind of remote area is in at least decent physical and mental shape. I feel like there’s this implication she wasn’t capable of helping or evaluating the situation.
Wholeheartedly agree! The disparaging comments and assumptions on her potential frailty, faculties, etc.
Colorado mountain raised and I know many women of her age and up that compete in ski races, bicycling events, hike daily and in better shape than many 30 year olds.
Heck my 91 year old mother could have received the same call and easily walked or driven to SM house, she’d be perfectly capable and would think 70 was a youngster!

Gag order?
They used one in the Piketon murders
Who Are The Families In The Rhoden Family Murder Case In Piketon, Ohio?

I didn't think this case was going anywhere but I guess sometimes silence helps. I don't know. I am learning how all this works.

That's what I have been thinking, too ... that silence might be due to a gag order. Because LE has been extremely tight-lipped, I don't imagine they were too happy with TN after he publicly revealed that the bicycle was found the same night SM was reported missing (& he urged the public to ask details about the bike). If I remember right, a couple of days or so passed before LE finally confirmed that it had been found. So it would make sense if they issued a gag order.

That's what I have been thinking, too ... that silence might be due to a gag order. Because LE has been extremely tight-lipped, I don't imagine they were too happy with TN after he publicly revealed that the bicycle was found the same night SM was reported missing (& he urged the public to ask details about the bike). If I remember right, a couple of days or so passed before LE finally confirmed that it had been found. So it would make sense if they issued a gag order.
We had attorneys on here say you can’t have a gag order without charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288