GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what he and the first officer talked about for so long before the field sobriety test was administered, but my thought was that that was generous on the officer's part. It could be viewed that he gave the the man's BAC as much time as possible to lower.

There are many ways to get around Atlanta and avoid a DUI. But first, given that he told officers that he was on his way home from his 8yo (IIRC) daughter's birthday party, a friend or family member could have driven him home, if he'd asked.
I think he asked to walk to his sisters house not for a ride. I think these two officers were part of a special unit targeting dui drivers. That might explain somethings.

This is an important view of the struggle from two cameras (starts over again at midpoint, from point of view of cruiser cam). Courtesy of Bloomberg Markets video channel; I’ll try to find the whole footage.

I'm a bit confused about the taser thing. The DA said Rolfe knew he discharged his taser twice. Problem is Brooks took Brosnan's taser, not Rolfe's. Here's the footage of the struggle:

Truth be told, from the footage I can't really tell if Brosnan ever had the chance to discharge the taser before Brooks took it. When Rolfe used his, the discharge was pretty loud and noticeable. I think the defense could reasonably claim that during the course of the melee, Rolfe had no idea how many times Brosnan used his taser.

With regards to the kicking and standing on the shoulder, as far as I'm aware the DA only showed a single still of the alleged kick. Was it really a kick? Did Rolfe kick away the taser and hit Rayshard? Considering the...ummm... somewhat slanted nature of the DA presser, I'd really like to see the full footage before coming to any conclusions.

For years I've been very impressed with DAs because they never stoop to the level of trying their case before a trial is held, and they certainly don't convict any defendant in the court of public opinion. Most all DAs are very mindful of due process, and IUPG. It's obvious Paul Howard is not one of those.

Maybe he's hoping this will be a big distraction to his own problems he's having that may land him in the criminal justice system as a defendant himself.

Now I have seen one who is very willing to stoop to that level. Paul Howard.

It's easy to layout a case against any defendant when there isn't anyone there to defend the defendant nor tell the other side.

Jmho

I guess the truth be told we have all made some bad choices in life. :D

I know I sure have made, and do make, my fair share of bad choices. Resisting arrest is a bad choice that rapidly gets worse. At best, you get additional charges and time. And then grabbing anywhere toward an officer's gun belt, that's a doozy of a bad choice.

This is an important view of the struggle from two cameras (starts over again at midpoint, from point of view of cruiser cam). Courtesy of Bloomberg Markets video channel; I’ll try to find the whole footage.

It's clear by hearing the officer say "hands off the f'ing Taser" hands off the taser" that he was going for the taser.

Justified homicide IMO

Georgia Bureau of Investigation

The GBI was not aware of today’s press conference before it was conducted. We were not consulted on the charges filed by the District Attorney. Despite today’s occurrence, the GBI will complete its mission of completing an impartial and thorough investigation of this incident and we will submit the file, once completed, to the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office.

I haven’t been able to find the whole footage yet, but just from what I’ve seen it’s plainly obvious felony murder is nonsense; and it’s also biased nonsense that the DA didn’t point out that from the footage I have rolled, THE COPS were equally polite and nice to Brooks until he lost it; but you didn’t see the DA say that anywhere. These cops aren’t racist IMO, based upon anything I saw in said footage, and didn’t want to do anything other than stop a criminal from getting away.

I know I sure have made, and do make, my fair share of bad choices. Resisting arrest is a bad choice that rapidly gets worse. At best, you get additional charges and time. And then grabbing anywhere toward an officer's gun belt, that's a doozy of a bad choice.

Indeed. I have not been allowed to wander off home after a DUI, and I don't have violent felonies in my past. I somehow know better than to assault an officer, and I would fully expect to get shot if I grab a weapon from them regardless of tazer or gun...and then fire it towards them. I guess now though you can just run away. Fortunately I'm sober and no longer make idiotic choices.

The GBI was not aware of today’s press conference before it was conducted. We were not consulted on the charges filed by the District Attorney. Despite today’s occurrence, the GBI will complete its mission of completing an impartial and thorough investigation of this incident and we will submit the file, once completed, to the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office.

This is an interesting statement...is this unusual ?

Hmmm interesting. Sounds like they are annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow