Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, I don’t think the site MH was found was a desirable location. I believe it was overgrown with mosquito ridden standing water all around. Perhaps when he arrived, he knew he wasn’t leaving, that this was where he would die. Someone else mentioned him intentionally starving himself. They might be right. I don’t think This guy was mentally well and think the notebook code/writing was wild jibber overall.

Benadryl- did he take it to help him sleep? Ease bug bites? OTC pain meds, headache, muscle aches? But when I think of him having these in his system it shows a step to take care of yourself, IMO or was it to just make the end a tad more bearable?

One thought I’m comfortable with, he didn’t want anyone knowing who he was. So far, he gets a A++ for this if it was indeed his intention.

Another thought, if he was not an experienced hiker when he set off, I wonder if he was surprised by the kindness and acceptance overall by the hiking community? Did that keep him alive longer than his plan. Just my random thoughts on MH today.

IMO, I don’t think the site MH was found was a desirable location. I believe it was overgrown with mosquito ridden standing water all around. Perhaps when he arrived, he knew he wasn’t leaving, that this was where he would die. Someone else mentioned him intentionally starving himself. They might be right. I don’t think This guy was mentally well and think the notebook code/writing was wild jibber overall.

Benadryl- did he take it to help him sleep? Ease bug bites? OTC pain meds, headache, muscle aches? But when I think of him having these in his system it shows a step to take care of yourself, IMO or was it to just make the end a tad more bearable?

One thought I’m comfortable with, he didn’t want anyone knowing who he was. So far, he gets a A++ for this if it was indeed his intention.

Another thought, if he was not an experienced hiker when he set off, I wonder if he was surprised by the kindness and acceptance overall by the hiking community? Did that keep him alive longer than his plan. Just my random thoughts on MH today.

Have you ever looked at the notebook? It is very clear and concise, and at one point offers multiple layouts for specific VPN usage, server setups, and networking techniques.

Have you ever looked at the notebook? It is very clear and concise, and at one point offers multiple layouts for specific VPN usage, server setups, and networking techniques.

Fair enough. However, I still think the timing of the notebook writings might still show someone’s mind not well. Perhaps these codes were clear to him in a mind that was falling apart. OR he was of sound mind and this helped pass the time on the trail. IMO

I was just thinking about whether he did intentionally starve himself. And wonder if he found some sort of inspiration from the Chris McCandless story. I found this information on the process of starvation leading to death. What a terrible way to go. So sad and tragic. :(

What Happens When We Starve? Phases of Starvation
SBM
Starvation

Starvation is defined as a severe deficiency in caloric energy intake needed to maintain human life. It is the most extreme form of malnutrition. In humans, prolonged starvation can cause permanent organ damage and eventually, death.

….

The First Phase of Starvation

During the first stage of starvation, blood glucose levels are maintained through the production of glucose from proteins, glycogen and fats.

At first, glycogen is broken down into glucose. Only enough glycogen; however, is stored in the person's liver to last a few hours. After that period of time, blood glucose levels are maintained by the breakdown of fats and proteins.

Fats are decomposed into glycerol and fatty acids. Fatty acids can be used as a source of energy, particularly by skeletal muscle, thereby decreasing the use of glucose by tissues other than the brain.

Glycerol may be used to make a small amount of glucose, yet most of the glucose is formed from the amino acids of proteins. Some amino acids might be used directly for energy.

The Second Phase of Starvation

In the second phase, which might last for several weeks, fats are the main energy source.

A person's liver metabolizes fatty acids into ketone bodies that can be used as a source of energy.

After approximately a week of fasting, a person's brain starts to use ketone bodies, as well as glucose, for sources of energy. Proteins not essential for survival are used first.

The Third Phase of Starvation

The third phase of starvation starts when a person's fat reserves are depleted and there is a switch to proteins as the major source of the person's energy. Muscles, the largest source of protein in the body, are quickly depleted. At the end of this phase, proteins - essential for cellular functions, are broken down and cell function degenerates. Along with loss of weight, symptoms of starvation include:

• Apathy
  • Withdrawal
  • Listlessness
  • Increased susceptibility to disease
Few people die directly from starvation because they usually die of an infectious disease first.

Additional signs of starvation may include flaky skin, changes in hair color and massive edema in the lower limbs and abdomen, causing the person's abdomen to seem bloated. During the process of starvation, the ability of the human body to consume volumes of food also decreases.

Foods low in protein yet high in bulk often times cannot reverse the process of starvation.

Intervention involves feeding the affected person low-bulk food that provides lots of proteins and kilo-calories and is fortified with minerals and vitamins.

The process of starvation also results in dehydration and dehydration is an important part of intervention. Even with intervention, a person might be so affected by weakness or disease they do not have the ability to make a recovery.

Starvation and Death

Starvation wreaks havoc on a person's immune system, largely on account of an extreme deficiency of minerals and vitamins.

Some people will become weak and perish of immune-related diseases during starvation. Eventually, the person's body will run out of options. Fats, glucose, muscle mass and tissue are finite resources that will eventually be spent and the person will die. The end-stage of starvation usually brings with it one of two different diseases - kwashiorkor and marasmus.

Marasmus happens due to extreme energy deficiency, often from inadequate amounts of calories and protein. The person's body weight reaches dangerously low levels and infections are common. Kwashiorkor is a related disease that affects children who are protein-energy deficient and might result in edema and an enlarged and fatty liver, resulting in the distending of the children's bellies, providing the illusion that children who are starving are well-fed.

When the person's death finally arrives, its most immediate cause is by cardiac arrhythmia or a heart attack brought on by either extreme tissue degradation brought about by autophagy, or severe electrolyte imbalances. People can die of starvation in as little as three-weeks, or as long as seventy days.

Last edited:
Wondering if "MH" had Celiac disease, it can kill you, imo.
Her Searing Gut Pain Suggested Celiac. Why Didn’t Cutting Out Gluten Help?

''Her Searing Gut Pain Suggested Celiac. Why Didn’t Cutting Out Gluten Help?
“I’m dying,” the 57-year-old woman whispered. Though they sat right next to her bed, her two sisters had to strain to hear the words. “I can feel the life just slipping away from me.” They were going to take her to the hospital, the oldest sister told her. But not to the hospital she’d just left.

The patient hadn’t been healthy in years. Her rheumatoid arthritis was bad enough to force her retirement from nursing a decade ago; nothing she took seemed to help. But the joint pain was at least endurable. For the past couple of years, though, she had a new pain — one much harder to bear. Every time she ate, it was like being stabbed with a knife in her belly. She didn’t have health insurance, so she’d tried to figure it out for herself.''

The Grim Origins of 'Gluten-Free'

''Celiac disease — also known as celiac sprue, or sometimes simply sprue — is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the small intestine, the main organ that absorbs food into the body. People with classic celiac disease can’t digest the gluten found in wheat and other grains. Untreated, this intolerance can interfere with overall digestion, leading to severe diarrhea, malnutrition, weight loss and, eventually, death.

People with celiac disease can literally starve to death in the presence of food. Their reaction to gluten blocks absorption of what nutrients they can safely consume.''

I wonder if he was tested for rhabdo. The dark urine is a sign of rhabdo. I know overexertion and heat stroke can cause rhabdo. Some people need dialysis to survive it. It would be an extreme emergency, that has symptoms that would or could be ignored by a long distance hiker.

I honestly think we won't find out who he is through the way or circumstance of his death. I also struggle on the idea of starvation as a means of suicide. He had a water bottle, a jet stove and some food items with him still. Had he wanted starvation as a means of suicide, I believe he would have ditched all food items as to not prolong the process.

@meanmaryjean hello, how long do you think it would take for a average build 180 pound male (some might be able to estimate his weight from pics better than me) to get down to a shocking 83 pounds?

I’ve seen pics of other thru-hikers who left the trail extremely thin. I don’t think they even realize just how much weight they lost. This case, IMO, is completely different. This poor guy’s end had to be terrible.

@meanmaryjean hello, how long do you think it would take for a average build 180 pound male (some might be able to estimate his weight from pics better than me) to get down to a shocking 83 pounds?

I’ve seen pics of other thru-hikers who left the trail extremely thin. I don’t think they even realize just how much weight they lost. This case, IMO, is completely different. This poor guy’s end had to be terrible.
With my dad on chemo he started at 180. He was around 125 within 4 months due to lack of eating. While I’m sure chemo played a role in it. My husband was 215 and went vegan and was down to 173 in 2 months. I guess a lot would depend on his diet and medical conditions. However living in the Deep South just going out and tending to my garden led to me getting dehydrated last year. The heat and humidity here is no joke.

Physically active and in the heat I think as soon as 2 -3 months.

Hi all. Still following, thanks for posting the Autopsy report (Sorry forgot who did and laptop is not refreshing pages!) The only things that stick out of me are the edges of his superior (Top I believe) teeth where ground down, so it looks like he grinded his teeth maybe from stress or pain, it takes a while but lots do it in thier sleep, this can also obviously cause head, jaw and neck ache.
They mention he had adhersions inside his body attached to the scar, There are a few things that would need surgery for that vertical scar. One that came up was Stomach bi-pass..but i'm sure his actual stomach would have shown scar tissue also, that aside if it was done to tight that would have caused starvation..It doesn't mention the stomach was smaller than normal which I would have expected with starvation, unless it was much larger than before hence starvation made it a "normal" size.

I read the autopsy report in the link. I did not see a reference to a histology report. Perhaps a histology report was thought unnecessary with nothing that was observed pointing out the need for one? I don't know. I am wondering if we could draw any conclusions from the absence of a histology report. I would think that perhaps some sort of tissue or cellular disorder in a major organ might reveal something related to wasting. Would appreciate the comments of anyone with a medical back ground that might have insight on this.

I read the autopsy report in the link. I did not see a reference to a histology report. Perhaps a histology report was thought unnecessary with nothing that was observed pointing out the need for one? I don't know. I am wondering if we could draw any conclusions from the absence of a histology report. I would think that perhaps some sort of tissue or cellular disorder in a major organ might reveal something related to wasting. Would appreciate the comments of anyone with a medical back ground that might have insight on this.

I expect that "typical" tissue samples were taken & "typical" tests were run, the results were unremarkable or WNL -- Within Normal Limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627