Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've omitted the overflow area that was meant to hold up to 40,000 - bringing the total to 69,000. The anticipated balance was made up from people showing up hoping to get in.
What overflow area?
Does this mean that 9 people dying is acceptable from a gathering that was irresponsible to hold in the first place?

Who is the winner here? Would 9,000 more tests be necessary if the rally was not held? Someone has to ultimately pay for the tests - often taxpayers, but not always.
It's not for me to say whether 9 deaths are acceptable from a gathering of 9,000. That's for the governor and mayor and OK Supreme court who made the decisions. I am just saying what the worst scenario could be. This could also be applied to all the mass gatherings in the last few weeks too. This rally had temperature screenings. The protests didn't.

What overflow area?

It's not for me to say whether 9 deaths are acceptable from a gathering of 9,000. That's for the governor and mayor and OK Supreme court who made the decisions. I am just saying what the worst scenario could be. This could also be applied to all the mass gatherings in the last few weeks too.

Exactly.

Now that we know the subject is tests per million, how do you think the tests from outdoor events will compare to indoor events?

Or do we already know that from previous links?
I don't think that data is available. A lot of tests are just people driving thru random testing sites.

N.Y.C. Hired 3,000 Workers for Contact Tracing. It’s Not Going Well.

This is interesting. With digital technology, people who test positive for Covid, could just give permission for the Contact tracers to have access to their data from their cell phones. That would pretty much give a time, data stamp, and GPS coordinates of where these people were for the last month. Cross match that information with other people who are positive.

Who can remember every single interaction in the last month? Of course, these days, probably most of us could.

Contact tracing has been made more difficult by the phone scams that are so prevalent in our nation. Many have been called by scammers claiming to be the IRS or Social Security or our credit card company. We have good reason to suspect a call from our state public health authority is actually a scam.

Deaths lags behind increase in cases. It takes a long while for covid patients to die. It's not a quick death, usually. Especially for those ending up in ICU on a ventilator-they can stay on a ventilator for multiple weeks before dying.

There is also a delay between a death from COVID-19 and that death showing up in official state numbers. In my state this is typically at least a week and often multiple weeks.

Fauci will oppose any rush to announce COVID-19 vaccine before ‘scientifically sound’

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading infectious disease expert on the White House coronavirus task force, pledged on Thursday to publicly oppose any effort by the Trump administration to rush an announcement of a COVID-19 vaccine by the November election unless the medicine has been proven “safe and scientifically sound.”"

"President Donald Trump has pushed the Department of Health and Human Services to expedite its work on a vaccine, already set against the unprecedented timetable of achieving one by the end of the year, so that the public can glimpse an end to the pandemic ahead of the November presidential vote.

“Take that to the bank,” Fauci said when asked by McClatchy whether he would oppose any administration effort to announce a vaccine by November if it is not ready. “There is no chance in the world that I’m going to be forced into agreeing to something that I don’t think is safe and scientifically sound. I’ll guarantee you that.”"

"The nation’s top infectious disease expert said he has confidence a vaccine is achievable, because most individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 have been able to clear the virus out of their body naturally on their own.

“There’s a pretty good chance that we’re going to be able to induce in the body a response that could either protect you from infection or, at worst, could protect you against getting disease from that infection,” Fauci said. “Do we think we can do that? Yes. The timeline? I really don’t like the word Warp Speed, because what it does is it implies carelessness in stepping over important steps.”"

[red bolding above by me]

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article243633232.html#storylink=cpy

Public safety, public health shouldn't be political. It should be easy to disseminate the correct information, which is based upon science, not upon feelings or economics or political party. It should be a priority to keep all people safe.

I live in a tourist area. The tourists are back, in force. A month ago, I was getting curbside meals from favorite beach restaurants in order to both feed my family and support these restaurants. I can't do that now, because last time I did, the only unoccupied spots in the parking lot were the curbside pickup spots, and I'm too afraid to eat food from the same places that the tourists area.

My favorite restaurant ever, an intimate lovely place, closed for a month even though they didn't have to and paid their people anyway, opened for curbside until they were allowed to have dine-in, didn't have dine in but sidewalk dining and were extraordinarily careful, and had to close two weeks later when an employee tested positive.

My nephew is awaiting results after his coworker became sick. He has Type 1 Diabetes.

My daughter-in-law's friend spent 8 weeks away from her children, including 6 weeks in the hospital. She is okay, but has scarring on her lungs. She's 29 and had no underlying conditions. Lest somebody jump in and say she's probably obese, she's not - I'd estimate her at 5'6", 130 pounds.

I was not able to attend the funeral of a woman I've known for 20 years, with whom I shared a hobby. She was 74. Yes, she was COVID-19 positive. I never knew her to have anything other than high blood pressure, under control.

My daughter-in-law will probably, based on bloodwork from last week, be admitted to the hospital and have labor induced on Tuesday. She will be allowed only one person in labor with her. She's frantic. She needs her mother. And she needs my son.

Yesterday's coronavirus update indicated that 21% of new cases are not locals. Did they come here for our tiny protests? Or did they come here for our beaches?

We don't know. It's not political. Coronavirus isn't political.

I guess another symptom of covid is a complete collapse. I remember when there were initially videos coming of China of people collapsing on the street-a lot here didn't believe it. And yet we have a comedian suddenly collapsing during a show here-and he had no clue he even had covid.
Will that whole audience need testing now? I notice he was classed as asymptomatic.

Fauci will oppose any rush to announce COVID-19 vaccine before ‘scientifically sound’

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading infectious disease expert on the White House coronavirus task force, pledged on Thursday to publicly oppose any effort by the Trump administration to rush an announcement of a COVID-19 vaccine by the November election unless the medicine has been proven “safe and scientifically sound.”"

"President Donald Trump has pushed the Department of Health and Human Services to expedite its work on a vaccine, already set against the unprecedented timetable of achieving one by the end of the year, so that the public can glimpse an end to the pandemic ahead of the November presidential vote.

“Take that to the bank,” Fauci said when asked by McClatchy whether he would oppose any administration effort to announce a vaccine by November if it is not ready. “There is no chance in the world that I’m going to be forced into agreeing to something that I don’t think is safe and scientifically sound. I’ll guarantee you that.”"

I don't believe him. He's allowed himself to be shut down, won't do any media interviews without approval from the White House. If it comes time to announce a vaccine in October, he'll be marginalized to the extent necessary, should he raise any concerns.

Public safety, public health shouldn't be political. It should be easy to disseminate the correct information, which is based upon science, not upon feelings or economics or political party. It should be a priority to keep all people safe.

I live in a tourist area. The tourists are back, in force. A month ago, I was getting curbside meals from favorite beach restaurants in order to both feed my family and support these restaurants. I can't do that now, because last time I did, the only unoccupied spots in the parking lot were the curbside pickup spots, and I'm too afraid to eat food from the same places that the tourists area.

My favorite restaurant ever, an intimate lovely place, closed for a month even though they didn't have to and paid their people anyway, opened for curbside until they were allowed to have dine-in, didn't have dine in but sidewalk dining and were extraordinarily careful, and had to close two weeks later when an employee tested positive.

My nephew is awaiting results after his coworker became sick. He has Type 1 Diabetes.

My daughter-in-law's friend spent 8 weeks away from her children, including 6 weeks in the hospital. She is okay, but has scarring on her lungs. She's 29 and had no underlying conditions. Lest somebody jump in and say she's probably obese, she's not - I'd estimate her at 5'6", 130 pounds.

I was not able to attend the funeral of a woman I've known for 20 years, with whom I shared a hobby. She was 74. Yes, she was COVID-19 positive. I never knew her to have anything other than high blood pressure, under control.

My daughter-in-law will probably, based on bloodwork from last week, be admitted to the hospital and have labor induced on Tuesday. She will be allowed only one person in labor with her. She's frantic. She needs her mother. And she needs my son.

Yesterday's coronavirus update indicated that 21% of new cases are not locals. Did they come here for our tiny protests? Or did they come here for our beaches?

We don't know. It's not political. Coronavirus isn't political.
I know quite a few people who had it. But thankfully they were all young (twenties-thirties) or at least youngish (under 50). Wide range of symptoms, from asymptomatic to being sick with varying flu and GI symptoms for multiple weeks. It's a bizarre disease that affects people so differently, from no symptoms to severe symptoms and ultimately death for some.

I don't believe him. He's allowed himself to be shut down, won't do any media interviews without approval from the White House. If it comes time to announce a vaccine in October, he'll be marginalized to the extent necessary, should he raise any concerns.
I posted the link on the prior thread. He cant give Interviews as he is on the White House Task Force. Any requests go thru the White House. I don't think the Administration wants any science out there currently. IMO

I think what's causing a lot of back and forth is President Trump said we're number 1 at testing. Which we are. We are at almost 28 million tests.

He didn't say number one based on tests per million or per thousand. But in order to say he's incorrect, we've added the "per" qualifier.

We're 26th worldwide in terms of Testing per Million.

Let's say the rate is the same as the protesters tested as shown above so 2%. 2% of 9,000 would mean 180 possibly testing positive. Death rate of 5% could mean 9 people dying. Out of 9,000. What would be good is if they and everyone, can get quick, easy free tests. MOO.

We have free, fast testing where I live, but it's mostly not used. No one goes until they have symptoms, although it does appear that the highly anxious have gone for testing as well as two of the key symptoms reported was rapid heart rate and shortness of breath. in patients who ended up negative for CoVid. At any rate, the initial rush is over, testing has expanded, not many are going to be tested.

This goes deeper here than simply having tests available. Anyone telling people that slowing down testing rates makes things better is not helping. We have no campaigns nationwide to get people to get tested, even though tests are now available and free nearly everywhere.

We have a statewide campaign, but it needs to make more use of SM, especially aimed at young people. Now that we're reopening, testing may pick up as more and more people know they're being exposed. But if they keep waiting until they have a fever, it's not going to do as much good as we would like to see.

Wall Street banking on a COVID-19 vaccine before US election

I think that reading Al jazeera gives a different perspective. There are a lot of interesting international stories about Coronavirus.

This focus on the vaccine prior to the election, as keeping the stock market rising is interesting. Because I believe that the market is going to tank again, October or November. That is when we will see the ripple effects of April/May. And the 2nd wave, after school starts. My own opinion.

The article was about an interview with McClatchy publishing co, publisher of the News & Observer and many other newspapers. He did the interview last Thursday. Maybe it's just certain media outlets that the WH has said can't have interviews with him, such as CNN...(?)

I'm not sure where this Dr Fauci not doing interviews is coming from? Maybe CCN??? Although I see CNN did interview him this past week, on CNN.

This interview was in June 18th, did the White House deny this interview?

Personally I would be concerned about speaking with any reporter. Most media is picking and choosing parts of interviews to misconstrue information to increase clicks.

The most accurate information is coming from CDC. Dr. Birx and Fauci review this information daily, they oversee this information.

What does it achieve for Dr Birx or Fauci, to stop working on critical problems, vaccines, hot spots to go on TV and have the media pick and choose what they feel the public should hear?

Jmoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member