Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mind is racing with this one. As a big game hunter BM has to know his theory regarding the cat dragging her away without a trace is impossible, ridiculous and easily disproved. Why is he pushing it when he knows no one will believe it? The abduction theory is more likely. Why will LE not tell according to the TNcondition the bike was found in. Why will LE not tell BM the personal item belonging to SM they found on the first evening? Why would BM nearly slip up telling ‘Dad with a phone the way the bike was laid out and show fury as LE for mishandling the bike. They are all connected.
1.The cat story is not for us to believe, it is to give the impression that BM is clueless.
2. LE found incriminating evidence at the scene regarding both the bike and the mysterious personal item found. Hence BM shared that LE would not share with him the item found. The odds of LE not cooperating with the spouse on the initial search in the first evening are very low.
3. BM let slip he knew how the bike was laid out before checking himself. TN begged the public to ask LE for the condition of the bike, LE has not shared the condition of the bike for a reason, if they believed BM was innocent they would have.
4. There is something about the bike that implicates BM, hence his fury at LE for ‘mishandling‘ it. He has already started his defense.
Bam!

I’m still waffling between premeditated or losing it on the spur of the moment. I doubt there was a weapon. His arms and hands look like weapons.

All speculation on my part.

Ed:sp
Snipped and bolded by me.

I did wonder whether the shirtless, tank top look captured on video was maybe to show that he was free of any scratches and marks.

I imagine SM and the girls were in CO for the beginning of the school year. Perhaps they rented an Airbnb until they closed on the house?
As someone pointed out before, there is a sports picture on the Mountain Mail site with one of the kids dated August 2018 if you scroll down to the bottom of the page. So that would indicate they were in the area as of that date... imo

Lady Spartans volleyball loaded with upperclassmen

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

In reporter Lauren Scharf's video (below), she discusses the case and answers questions.

She states that the Fire chief told her that he met B.M. at a homeowners association meeting where B.M. expressed interest in volunteer firefighting and that B.M. completed training in October, 2018.

Still though, no information as to exactly when Suzanne moved to Salida.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine SM and the girls were in CO for the beginning of the school year. Perhaps they rented an Airbnb until they closed on the house?

Yep, that's one way to imagine it. Or, since the girls would have started senior and freshman year, respectively, perhaps they finished out the semester and then went to the new home for Christmas.

Given the expressions on their faces in Suzanne's photo, I'd say the girls look like it might be the latter.

<modsnip: sleuthing BM's social media is not allowed>

It's also interesting to think that BM must have had to have an income (Suzanne had been ill, no record of her being a full time or a substitute teacher in those years). So perhaps BM did go over to Salida early and join the volunteers, try to network, work up business.

If BM did in fact move the whole family to Salida in August, 2018, it would make only a small difference to my overall theory - but I do not think we have LE or MSM confirmation either way.

For those of us who were thinking BM had been allowed in the house before they taped it off-- isnt true.

"DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

Cops search a property in Colorado for evidence of mom-of-two missing since Mother's Day | Daily Mail Online

Thank you so much for finding that and putting it together. I really think this is important. That also means that the property was in the hands of LE for longer than 3 days (the source of which I believe to be...BM).

So I'm going to assume that LE went into the house for a welfare check, to find Suzanne. They did not find Suzanne (nor her bike), but they had a chance to walk through the house on May 10. What did they find?

What was Barry's reaction to not being allowed into his own house? Surely he had lots of questions for LE, and they had questions for him.

So when sleuthers here say that LE had a very early clue/set of clues, I think they are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband gets quite stressed out on Mother's Day. For some reason, he resents this, partly because of the commercial aspect, but also emotionally.

Its strange, he does love Father's Day and it has become a bit of a family joke...the kids and I tend to ignore him.

We don't know anything about the Morphew household, but just the fact that 2 daughters were coming back home and maybe the father too. Irrespective of whether they were going to celebrate MD or not, it is not unreasonable that Suzanne would have prepared a meal or have ordered a takeaway/delivery for their return.

Also, would there have been a delivery of flowers, for example, for Suzanne home alone, if all 3 were unlikely to make it on time?

As others have posted, LE must have found indicators and details of home occupancy early on in their investigations.

I can't imagine delivery of hot meals, but they might be able to jog down the trail to the RV park to pick up some chips & salsa.
Floral delivery is out, too. The nearest florist is Buffy's Flowers & Gifts in Buena Vista. They do deliver locally......meaning " in Buena Vista". IMO
THE BEST 10 Florists near Salida, CO 81201 - Updated COVID-19 Hours & Services - Last Updated - Yelp

I think about this case ALL the time. What if BM is lying about his trip to Denver? We have never heard anyone supporting his claim. We never heard anything about LE confirming or questioning his alibi? The whole Denver story could be totally made up. We never received any info about about the "job" he was setting up. Never heard a peep from any of his "workers" that were going to the job site in Denver. Never heard a peep from any of the locals in town - Isn't it weird that NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON has come forward with an anecdote or claim about seeing BM on the days prior to and leading up to May 10? Isn't that weird? I wonder if BM and SM were still living in the same house? I am confident that LE is making progress in this case. I think the "electronic evidence" will be crucial in solving this case. Just such silence. Maybe it is the "calm before the storm." ALL JMO

There have been posts removed due to stating the Morphew home was taped off within 5 or 6 hours of Suzanne being reported missing.

For the record, while BM may not have stayed at the home since he returned Sunday night, May 10, the earliest article I can find that makes reference to the home being cordoned off is dated Tuesday, May 19 which appears to be the same date the home was cordoned off.

Please post responsibly by checking your facts before posting and don't post misinformation or rumors.

I think about this case ALL the time. What if BM is lying about his trip to Denver? We have never heard anyone supporting his claim. We never heard anything about LE confirming or questioning his alibi? The whole Denver story could be totally made up. We never received any info about about the "job" he was setting up. Never heard a peep from any of his "workers" that were going to the job site in Denver. Never heard a peep from any of the locals in town - Isn't it weird that NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON has come forward with an anecdote or claim about seeing BM on the days prior to and leading up to May 10? Isn't that weird? I wonder if BM and SM were still living in the same house? I am confident that LE is making progress in this case. I think the "electronic evidence" will be crucial in solving this case. Just such silence. Maybe it is the "calm before the storm." ALL JMO

IMO, that's the most telling aspect of this situation. the silence. i've never seen a missing person's case where the family was so quiet. if they truly believed this was abduction, mountain lion, bike accident or aliens, they would be out in the public searching and shouting loudly for someone, anyone to help them find her, regardless of whether they were told by LE not to.

we also have silence from LE that is also interesting. and it's not that they haven't named any suspects, it's that they haven't CLEARED any, either.

MOOmooooo.

I was surprised to learn that so many people go missing each year in State and National Parks. Many of them "disappear without a trace". I imagine a very few disappear intentionally. I wasn't looking for them, but one came up in my youtube rotation (I have been watching lots of tornado chase vids, but don't see the connection) and it caught my interest, so I researched a bit more. A variety of circumstances, a variety of people and dogs, too. Even Park Rangers go missing in their own parks. Sometimes, items belonging to them are found years later.

The link below is only a fraction of the people who have gone missing.

Cold Cases - Investigative Services (U.S. National Park Service)

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

You hit it out of the ballpark! By now, all the results of any searches and dna tests, electronic data, etc. have come back, zip! IMO they are NOT looking for BM slip up... nope, just nope. If they are canvassing, that WOULD be unnecessary to nail BM.
IOW, if they now need tips from the community, that they couldn’t get from all those searches? !
I follow LE lead, they are looking for the real suspect, who could be long gone.
Surely they have also checked out the local possibles, so it’s likely to be someone else, someone you’d never expect...or total random stranger. Somebody in town may have some little clue.
would a questionnaire to residents actually help? Never heard of it, but completely anonymous? Voluntary?

We don't know what evidence they have from searches, electronic data, DNA, etc. Perhaps they don't have enough to put a case together. And canvassing would not necessarily mean they are looking for the 'real' suspect IMO. They are looking for anything at all to help them solve this mystery, whether it contributes to any theory they already have or leads them in another direction. I'm not buying the random stranger abduction but it does bother me that someone seems to have gotten away with this (so far). JMO.

I think about this case ALL the time. What if BM is lying about his trip to Denver? We have never heard anyone supporting his claim. We never heard anything about LE confirming or questioning his alibi? The whole Denver story could be totally made up. We never received any info about about the "job" he was setting up. Never heard a peep from any of his "workers" that were going to the job site in Denver. Never heard a peep from any of the locals in town - Isn't it weird that NO ONE, NOT ONE PERSON has come forward with an anecdote or claim about seeing BM on the days prior to and leading up to May 10? Isn't that weird? I wonder if BM and SM were still living in the same house? I am confident that LE is making progress in this case. I think the "electronic evidence" will be crucial in solving this case. Just such silence. Maybe it is the "calm before the storm."

BBM

IMO

"We," members of the public all over the U.S. and some in other countries too, are not going to receive much info or hear about details of the investigation. LE doesn't need anything from the public aside from specific tips or info about the disappearance. This frustrates and angers many, but it's part of the reality when following an active case.

The various questions people have listed, which are good questions, remain unanswered, and will, as they usually do, until a case goes to trial. It's <crickets> for now.

As for the family, they surely know by now SM is most likely not alive. People following the case and wanting family & friends to speak out & spill their guts is more about voyeurism & curiosity. We know LE does not want or need groups to go searching for SM.

/IMO

Timeline
6/18-The @******** page for #MissingPerson #suzannemorphew has given an update: "The extended Morphew Family would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has contributed to our efforts in #FindingSuzanne ..."
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1273721580003024896?s=21

6/10-Posted in: Press Releases by Chaffee County Sheriff | 0 Comment

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE Salida, Colorado PRESS RELEASE June 10, 2020 It has been one month since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, local, state and federal investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported ...

6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

5/29 - SM hometown shows support
Missing woman's hometown shows support

5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf

5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/23- CCSO no new updates
Press release May 23, 2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike
‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more item(s) the previous day 5/14.

Searching For Suzanne Morphew: Reward For Information Doubled To $200,000

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested
YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride

This case is already fading as far as national coverage goes. It was a perfect case for the press in the beginning-beautiful woman, beautiful family, idyllic looking life. With the lack of LE updates and family/friends not trying to get the word out and keep the search going, I feel like interest is waning. I don’t know if any of that makes a difference to the end result.

For those of us who were thnking BM had been allowed in the house before they taped it off-- isnt true.

"DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

Cops search a property in Colorado for evidence of mom-of-two missing since Mother's Day | Daily Mail Online
Just now, after reading this again, it made me think, how is it LE could immediately bar BM from his home? No probable cause yet, I would think? Is it possible it “wasn’t” where he was residing anymore? That he and SM had already separated or had some kind of “blow out” while the girls were away and he was staying elsewhere? This is the only thing that makes sense to me. That would also explain the vagueness in his “chat” with TD surrounding the calls that took place on MD. MOO

Timeline
6/18-The @******** page for #MissingPerson #suzannemorphew has given an update: "The extended Morphew Family would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has contributed to our efforts in #FindingSuzanne ..."

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE Salida, Colorado PRESS RELEASE June 10, 2020 It has been one month since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, local, state and federal investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported ...

6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed

Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
Awesome work @oviedo!! So thankful for all you and others do on these threads helping the rest of us keep up with all the links, untangling our befuddled minds. So often the details get rearranged as time goes on :confused:

Last edited:
Timeline

Find Suzanne Morphew

Find Suzanne Morphew

YouTube

Thank you oveido for all your hard work!

I was taken back by the words "who has contributed"...

Why not say "who are contributing"?

My heart just sank. That sounded more like someone who has finally yielded to bad news.....
:0(

Bumping this excellent post :

From TIGER0822 :

My mind is racing with this one. As a big game hunter BM has to know his theory regarding the cat dragging her away without a trace is impossible, ridiculous and easily disproved. Why is he pushing it when he knows no one will believe it? The abduction theory is more likely. Why will LE not tell according to the TN the condition the bike was found in. Why will LE not tell BM the personal item belonging to SM they found on the first evening? Why would BM nearly slip up telling ‘Dad with a phone the way the bike was laid out and show fury as LE for mishandling the bike. They are all connected.
1.The cat story is not for us to believe, it is to give the impression that BM is clueless.
2. LE found incriminating evidence at the scene regarding both the bike and the mysterious personal item found. Hence BM shared that LE would not share with him the item found. The odds of LE not cooperating with the spouse on the initial search in the first evening are very low.
3. BM let slip he knew how the bike was laid out before checking himself. TN begged the public to ask LE for the condition of the bike, LE has not shared the condition of the bike for a reason, if they believed BM was innocent they would have.
4. There is something about the bike that implicates BM, hence his fury at LE for ‘mishandling‘ it. He has already started his defense.

Did anybody do a deep dive into BM for marks on that video? Maybe he came home that night full of scratches and that was LE’s tipping point?
Good comment. ^^^

And no, I didn't listen after "...Let me tell you what happened..." remark from BM.
If he knows this so well --then where is Suzanne ?
IMO

Guess I could listen with the sound off. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members