Identified! ND - WhtMale, UP70567, 30-40, wrist tattoo "sex", Little Muddy River, 22 Jun 1982 - Phillip Peterson

dotr

Reaction score
Jun 24, 2020
Williams County looking to solve 38-year-old cold case of unidentified body
''Williams County authorities need your help on a 38-year-old cold case: Identifying a body found in the Missouri River east of Williston in the early 1980s.

On June 22, 1982, a deceased Caucasian male was located near the mouth of the Little Muddy River. Despite a thorough investigation at the time, the male has yet to be identified.

The Williams County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help.

The male was about 5 feet 9 inches tall, approximately 160 pounds and between the ages of 30 to 40.''
sherry-tattoo-bw-1.png

sex-tattoo-bw-1.png

luvyou-tattoo-bw.png

Boots-sanitized.png

Article with some more details from the Williston Herald. The man is described as having medium length brown to reddish hair with a full beard which was light on the upper lip and thicker on the chin. Death did not appear to be suspicious.
LdulE5Rh.png

Williston, ND is close to the Canadian states borders of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, its possible the John Doe might be from there.

Someone in the Facebook comments mentioned Steve Thomas MacLaren, missing from Capital Trail Crew Camp, Alberta since June 30, 1981 The Doe Network: Case File 3926DMAB

The Doe Network: Case File 3543DMMB Carlos Manuel Yuste, missing from Thompson, Manitoba since January 26, 1981 looks like a possibility as friends described him as being very depressed at the time of his disappearance.

Article with some more details from the Williston Herald. The man is described as having medium length brown to reddish hair with a full beard which was light on the upper lip and thicker on the chin. Death did not appear to be suspicious.
LdulE5Rh.png
From link,
The uid is described as having had extensive dental work and wore boots that were cut off and looked like shoes.

If the body was drifting downstream in the river and had been in the water for days, it very easily could have come from Montana. I searched for any cases from ND to the west. This was one I came across:

Timothy Wayne Coulson – The Charley Project

There's nothing specifically connecting this case to ND or MT, but the fact that he lived a transient lifestyle and was known to be travelling sparked my interest. The height is also correct, as well as the brown hair and possibly a full beard.

If the body was drifting downstream in the river and had been in the water for days, it very easily could have come from Montana. I searched for any cases from ND to the west. This was one I came across:

Timothy Wayne Coulson – The Charley Project

There's nothing specifically connecting this case to ND or MT, but the fact that he lived a transient lifestyle and was known to be travelling sparked my interest. The height is also correct, as well as the brown hair and possibly a full beard.
Could be a contender..
Timothy Wayne Coulson
  • coulson_timothy.jpg
Coulson, circa 1982
  • Age 25 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'10, 180 - 200 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Coulson's lower teeth are in poor condition and his upper front teeth are chipped. He may have a mustache and a full beard.'
  • On June 1982, Coulson left Toronto, Ontario to return to Wells, British Columbia to get his belongings and get his life together. He was last seen in Kirkland, Washington on June 14. He has never been heard from again. Coulson has a history of living a transient lifestyle.''

Also, I've made a clearer version of the tattoo. I wish the photo was better quality.

Nice job - thanks! Do you think the little designs on the side are squiggles or letters? At first I thought they were little water lines but then I kind of saw an "s" on the bottom left (maybe for Sherry?) then an "m" above that. Perhaps an upside down "u" on the top? He did put the LUV YOU tattoo in a strange half-upside down manner.

The ones on the right are obscured besides the "s"-looking one at the bottom again. And I'm sure the SEX most likely means what it says but what if it were the initials of Sherry Elaine Xavier or something bahahaa!

Nice job - thanks! Do you think the little designs on the side are squiggles or letters? At first I thought they were little water lines but then I kind of saw an "s" on the bottom left (maybe for Sherry?) then an "m" above that. Perhaps an upside down "u" on the top? He did put the LUV YOU tattoo in a strange half-upside down manner.

The ones on the right are obscured besides the "s"-looking one at the bottom again. And I'm sure the SEX most likely means what it says but what if it were the initials of Sherry Elaine Xavier or something bahahaa!
rbbm.
Hey, that is actually a good idea- if not a gf's initials, perhaps his own?

rbbm.
Hey, that is actually a good idea- if not a gf's initials, perhaps his own?
If so, poor guy! Imagine the teasing! I wanted to name one of my kids Ian so badly but his last name starts with the letter P so that was out. Heck, my parents wanted to name me Beth (last name M__) but apparently it was too scatalogical!

There aren't too many surnames starting with X, though. It would be interesting if it really did signify something other than just sex! And I wonder what the fish is about. Doesn't look like the Pisces sign to me but maybe had some other meaning for him and Sherry.

I think the letters on the left and right side of the fish are PIS (top to bottom on the right side) and CES (top to bottom on the left side). If that’s what y’all are referring to. :D ETA: so it reads PISCES if you rotate the image counterclockwise... me thinks...

I think the letters on the left and right side of the fish are PIS (top to bottom on the right side) and CES (top to bottom on the left side). If that’s what y’all are referring to. :D ETA: so it reads PISCES if you rotate the image counterclockwise... me thinks...
You're right! I didn't even notice that. I'll update the drawing to reflect that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AggressiveFruit
Back