Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah during Erin's case and researching mines I noticed some of the mine shafts were not totally straight down but rather went down at a steep angle so a camera on string would not work too well because some of the mine shafts are not straight down. They were more angled down steeply.
Maybe for mine openings like those they could maybe use some kind of robot that could crawl down the opening with a camera.

There is a group of mine searchers that helped during Erin's case and they would be the right people for LE to consult with. They had tons of experience.

Most ore shafts are angled. The ore is removed from an upper adit, and pushed into a shaft with a mucker. In the old hand days, muckers were strong guys pushing an iron tool that loosely resembled a modern snow pusher. The shafts tended to be really polished rock on the slope, which even a century later makes it nearly impossible to traverse with anything.
Truly vertical shafts either held elevators (even if it was a rope and bucket affair) or were air shafts for ventilation.
If a mine only goes back a short distance and stops, chances are great that the entrance has been plugged by drilling into the rock roof, packing explosives into the holes and caving in enough of the roof to block entry.
IMO

Nope. I don't think he even had much of a 'landscaping biz.' I think he rented some basic equipment and bid on small jobs, all his "workers" were solo subcontractors and they had their own trucks. That's my belief, from what I've seen. It's just a hunch.
ITA. I’ve questioned his “successful” landscaping business from day 1. My ex owns one nice truck to go sell jobs, 4 old beater trucks to do the actual work, three trailers and employs 5 guys. All the trucks and trailers are parked on his property at the end of each workday. I met several other landscape co. owners while I was with him and they ALL operated the same way. It’s nearly impossible to run a successful, profitable landscaping business without multiple work trucks and a few employees. MOO

What does a stalker do if he actually manages to abduct his obsession?
In this case, IF there is a stalker at all, I assume it is a stalker (predominantly online), who wanted to abduct and murder a victim in a spectacular way.

Either BM knows the stalker or he doesn't know him; I still have to form an opinion about that.
Because BM is behaving so verrry inexplicable, I think, he rather knows the stalker.
Whether BM has an advantage of the disappearing of his wife or has not in the slightest and is a victim himself, I don't know atm.
BM might be in a pinch mill since May 10th and doesn't know, what to do next.
Maybe, there is no stalker in the play and only BM is responsible. We will see.
MOO of course.

I think it was noted somewhere earlier in this thread that there are indeed abandoned mines in the area. (I'm too lazy to find it, so I'll say IMO for that.)

If someone was hunting, how likely would they would be to run across these abandoned mines? How obvious are they? Only there if you know where to look? Stick out like a sore thumb? Is there some sort of topographical map that shows them? Would that be something you could research online?

I posted this link a couple of days ago. There are literally a hundred or so mines in Chaffee County.

https://colorado.hometownlocator.com/features/cultural,class,mine,scfips,08015,startrow,1.cfm

I would like to know, if LE/FBI have a right to learn, who in cases of missing persons/murdered persons donated to the reward.
If the donator is named "anonymous", is that valid for LE/FBI? Somebody out there, who knows??
-.-.-
In most cases, it might be completely irrelevant, who donated money. It might be not irrelevant at all in special cases.

For geographical info, topo maps, old mine sites, etc., the Colorado School of Mines would be a good source. I'm sure LE has contacted them and gotten any info that LE wants or needs. Colorado is laced with old mine shafts, ghost towns, odd geo features. But does LE have the money or time to look everywhere SM might be? Probably not.
Regarding features (mines, historical or potential cultural sites, et al) on USGS topographic maps: there are older editions of the maps than what is available in new maps at the present unless one can find or otherwise find earlier or initial printings, particularly on public lands. Some is because things change over time but also to avoid public looting of the sites or safety reasons (such as sealing a mine adit).

Life Ins policy. Beneficiary/ies?
.... if SM is found dead, I suppose BM can collect her life insurance. Unless Investigators prove that BM is responsible for SM's death. Then, I would hope the life insurance would go to her daughters. MOO
@moonshine sbm :) Seems natural if a surviving spouse does not receive life ins. policy death benefit, that then the offspring of the insured-deceased would receive the $ instead. Often that is true and may be in this (hypothetical-only death) case as well, but it it a policy-specific issue.

Life ins applications ask the purchaser to designate beneficiary/ies, who are to receive the death benefits on the insured's death, and also ask for secondary/contingent beneficiary/ies who would receive $ if the primary beneficiary does not outlive the insured or for some reason does not qualify to receive the $ (<---more on that 'not qualify' phrase in a later post). Those beneficiary designations (& changes, if made) become part of the policy contract. just my 2 cts.

I dunno, some of the theories here have convinced me that a drowning at home would be a possibility. Killers don't like to be seen and are more likely to commit crimes in familiar places. Of course, there could have been some familiar outdoor place, too.

I like to keep in mind that his truck had GPS that can't be disabled, so there are clues there. I assume LE has also looked at Suzanne's car.

Somehow, I just keep thinking that LE has a good idea of where certain things happened and have searched those areas.

Pure speculation on my part, but when I saw those real estate pictures of the Maysville house, I remember thinking that the garden tub in the master bathroom would be a perfect place to drown someone with very little effort. Not just because it was big making it difficult for someone in the bath to grab the sides to keep above the water level but because it had steps leading up to it making it very easy for someone to maximize all their upper body strength to keep someone submerged. Just casually perched there maybe chatting or shampooing their hair then suddenly pushing them under.

So a freshly killed body in a tub wouldn't have any cadaver chemical smell especially if it was removed fairly quickly. A 110 pound woman would be easy for a fairly strong man to carry down the stairs and out the house.

I found that geological report on all the different types of rocks, boulders, gravel, silt and sand found in Colorado, and their locations and that there were plenty of areas in Chaffee County area where gravel and sand can be produced commercially.

Some areas have yearly rockfalls during the spring runoff so something superficially buried could end up being covered by a natural process of rocks, gravel and silt.

Someone earlier up thread corrected my assertion that it would be pitch dark after twilight because there was a special full moon, a Super moon on May 7th. It was so bright you might not even need your headlights on driving at night if you didn't want to attract attention.

I asked Dave F. earlier about bodies of water and where they were located. I don't know what direction these bodies flow. There is a creek northeast of Maysville called Placer Creek. A placer is a sand or gravel deposit that has been carried downstream.

I'm not sure where LE did there initial search but I got the impression it was in the general area where it was thought Suzanne went missing. Although I momentarily forgot that BM and his buddies searched 200 square miles.

A couple of days ago I asked if anyone saw the video taken of BM the day BEFORE TD secretly recorded him. TD said he was soaking wet, bare chested and that his upper torso was very red. I still can't find that video but I did find mention of TD's description on a YT video by a female who uses scripture at the end. It made me think BM WAS in the water, whether stream, creek or river and he was looking for something.

I wonder how long you'd have to run a bath to get rid of any evidence of a crime? If I was LE I'd be checking water usage at the house for May 7, 8 and 9th. MOO

I would like to know, if LE/FBI have a right to learn, who in cases of missing persons/murdered persons donated to the reward.
If the donator is named "anonymous", is that valid for LE/FBI? Somebody out there, who knows??
-.-.-
In most cases, it might be completely irrelevant, who donated money. It might be not irrelevant at all in special cases.

Depends on how the "reward" is done. If, for example, $100,000 is deposited in an escrow account, then the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) probably requires reporting to the feds (though not necessarily the FBI or local agencies). If the benefactor merely promises to pay the money upon completion of the condition, then there's no "right" to know on the part of authorities: the benefactor or anybody who spoke to him/her has a right to remain silent.

There's also a public policy argument to be made against requiring disclosure: if requiring disclosure would discourage at least some good Samaritans from engaging in beneficial behavior (freely offering reward money), then it may be more appropriate to not require disclosure.

Pure speculation on my part, but when I saw those real estate pictures of the Maysville house, I remember thinking that the garden tub in the master bathroom would be a perfect place to drown someone with very little effort
and

Jeez branmuffin, I just look at the pictures of houses for sale and admire the often terrible decor. Now I'm going to be looking for perfect drowning baths!!

ITA. I’ve questioned his “successful” landscaping business from day 1. My ex owns one nice truck to go sell jobs, 4 old beater trucks to do the actual work, three trailers and employs 5 guys. All the trucks and trailers are parked on his property at the end of each workday. I met several other landscape co. owners while I was with him and they ALL operated the same way. It’s nearly impossible to run a successful, profitable landscaping business without multiple work trucks and a few employees. MOO
I do not doubt he had a functioning landscape business in IN - I just believe he left that behind and operated this new "business" on a shoestring IMO - of course I have not seen the business or personal tax returns but who knows?
JMO

I wo
You are absolutely correct, I think they know exactly who it is. Not BM!
IMO, The BAD GUY is a local character, who drifts in and out of town. He’s a bit of a loose cannon, so everyone is keeping a low profile. LE is going thru every scrap of information they have on him and here’s the real scoop. The locals know he could be the one, and they ARE on high alert. He’s lived all over the place, almost as many places as there are mines.
BOTH SM and the BG are missing, they could be together somewhere. This is speculation on my part.
Could you give me some examples where this has happened with 50 year old women? I just don’t recall any.

I get that you are a BM fan and don’t think he did it, but that is really against all statistics and odds so I would love to read up on some other cases where some random person stalked and kidnapped a 50 year old woman.

See, that's funny, because I'm just the opposite.

I could moon over that avatar of QB12 all day long.

Meanwhile, the user associated with the avatar has me popping Xtra Strength Excedrin like they're Pez candies.
Moon? That is quite the picture in my mind. Or do you mean swoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288