GUILTY MI - Amber Griffin, 27, last seen by boyfriend, Battle Creek, 22 Jun 2020 *arrest*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Battle Creek police are continuing their search for a woman missing since late Monday night.

Detective Sgt. Joel Case said Thursday that the boyfriend of Amber Griffin, 27, said he last saw her shortly before midnight Monday at their residence at the Creek Valley Mobile Home Park in Bedford Township.

cb069f91-aa89-4e4f-9d7b-9787c926235a-missing.jpg

More at Search continues for missing Battle Creek woman

https://local.nixle.com/alert/80761...yacLq5bYgxwY3xwEwxBqCDh-XjWjtohyHDKCVLsAwfO6E

Creek Valley Mobile Home Park is located at 70 Creek Valley Cir, Battle Creek, MI خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

"Detective Sgt. Joel Case said Thursday that the boyfriend of Amber Griffin, 27, said he last saw her shortly before midnight Monday at their residence at the Creek Valley Mobile Home Park in Bedford Township.

Case said the woman apparently left without her phone or wallet and wasn't in a vehicle. Family members said she uses insulin and is not believed to have any supplies with her.

"She had no phone, no vehicle, no wallet and no insulin," Case said."
Search continues for missing Battle Creek woman

anytime i read the words "last seen by bf, significant other, husband, (sometimes wife/gf) i get a bad feeling. sad that it is like that, but statistically that almost always signifies that this person is missing due to them, and i feel like when they add those words to a missing person's text/poster, they are usually pointing fingers. don't ya think? hope i'm wrong on this one, as i have certainly been before.

When the boyfriend is the last to see her and she leaves the house on foot very late at night without her belongings that sets up every red flag I have as someone who worked in law enforcement for years.

Agreed, esp when her leaving at that time isn’t part of a routine (ex: shift work, gym, neighborhood store).

Forgive me if I missed it, but did it state who reported her missing & the time span from time missing to reported time?

Boyfriend charged with murder of missing Battle Creek woman

Boyfriend charged with murder in woman's disappearance

I’ll never understand how people can do such horrible things...

Derek Horton, 25, was arraigned Monday, June 29 in Calhoun County District Court on a single count of open murder in the death of Amber Griffin.

Investigators say Horton's side of the story had a number of inconsistencies, and he was witnessed purchasing a shovel on June 23.

Based on the evidence collected, police believe Horton buried Griffin's body.

Detectives say Horton drives a black 2003 Chevrolet Impala, and may have transported Griffin's body in it.

BBM

anytime i read the words "last seen by bf, significant other, husband, (sometimes wife/gf) i get a bad feeling. sad that it is like that, but statistically that almost always signifies that this person is missing due to them, and i feel like when they add those words to a missing person's text/poster, they are usually pointing fingers. don't ya think? hope i'm wrong on this one, as i have certainly been before.

I was thinking the same.....

Boyfriend charged with murder of missing Battle Creek woman

Boyfriend charged with murder in woman's disappearance

I’ll never understand how people can do such horrible things...

Derek Horton, 25, was arraigned Monday, June 29 in Calhoun County District Court on a single count of open murder in the death of Amber Griffin.

Investigators say Horton's side of the story had a number of inconsistencies, and he was witnessed purchasing a shovel on June 23.

Based on the evidence collected, police believe Horton buried Griffin's body.

Detectives say Horton drives a black 2003 Chevrolet Impala, and may have transported Griffin's body in it.

BBM
I don't recall seeing a charge of "open murder" before. But I'm very happy to see it, I can think of many, many, other cases here at WS where that sort of charge could apply.
They have evidence of murder, just haven't found her body :(

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing a charge of "open murder" before. But I'm very happy to see it, I can think of many, many, other cases where that sort of charge could apply.
They have evidence of murder, just haven't found her body :(

I remember searching the term open murder in another case almost a year ago as I wasn’t familiar with it either. Thankfully saved the link...
* Open Murder: [MCL 767.71] -- Michigan law does not require a prosecutor to choose between First Degree or Second Degree Murder when issuing a complaint, or even at trial. A prosecutor may charge "Open Murder", which is a combination of First and Second Degree Murder, and the jury may determine the appropriate degree based on the proofs.
What does the term open murder mean? Legal Definitions Legal Questions & Answers

I remember searching the term open murder in another case almost a year ago as I wasn’t familiar with it either. Thankfully saved the link...
What does the term open murder mean? Legal Definitions Legal Questions & Answers
In Michigan, all murder is either in the first or second degree.

* First degree murder: [MCL 750.316] (Felony: mandatory life; no parole) -- "felony murder" (murder committed in the course of another felony), murdering a peace officer in the line of duty, or "premeditated murder". Murder cannot occur accidentally, the defendant must have intended to kill. Premeditation means that the defendant had time to consider the pros and cons of the killing beforehand.

* Second degree murder: [MCL 750.317] (Felony: Life or any term of years) -- causing death + intending to kill or do great bodily harm or knowingly creating a very high risk of death or great bodily harm knowing that death or such harm would be the likely result of his/her actions.

* Open Murder: [MCL 767.71] -- Michigan law does not require a prosecutor to choose between First Degree or Second Degree Murder when issuing a complaint, or even at trial. A prosecutor may charge "Open Murder", which is a combination of First and Second Degree Murder, and the jury may determine the appropriate degree based on the proofs.

Mother of missing Bedford Township woman presumed dead desperate for closure

Battle Creek police have been trying to locate a Bedford Township mother of two who has been missing for more than week and have arrested her boyfriend.

Carman Griffin turned 44 on Tuesday, June 30 2020. She spent the day in agony, crying and going out into the woods to search for her daughter, Amber Griffin, 27, who she had last seen eight days prior.

"She missed my birthday yesterday, and I know she was [not] alive, I know she’s not, she would’ve called me," Griffin said.
——————————————-
How incredibly sad...I can’t even begin to imagine.

Mother of missing Bedford Township woman presumed dead desperate for closure

To Note:
•Derek Horton is the main suspect
•While he originally said that Amber walked away from their home the night of June 22, witnesses told police the couple was at a party on Oneita Street early Tue morning (23rd).
•LE found signs of an assault where the party took place.
•Her mother said she went to the house, and saw blood in the basement.
•someone anonymous shared that they heard Amber down there (basement) screaming he was going to kill her
•Court records show Horton has a lengthy criminal history, including several assault charges. Amber was the victim of two cases.
•LE said Horton was seen buying a shovel the day after Amber went missing, which he may have used to bury her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back