MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

In Michigan there are 1,177 untested rape kits. http://www.endthebacklog.org/michigan

Does one of these rape kits contain DNA that would match the DNA found at Julia's crime scene? Read this article - it is a *very* worthy read, and shows how not testing rape kits can lead to serial killers on the loose. Credit to Websleuther @Yemelyan for sharing this powerful article on the Abby/Libby thread.

Perhaps our answer is sitting on a shelf in one of those 1,177 untested rape kits....

An Epidemic of Disbelief

2019 Michigan Rape Kit tracking system
MCOLES - Michigan's Sexual Assault Kit Tracking System

Amateur opinion and speculation

The article was citing 2017 data. I have talked to the Michigan State Police crime lab and that backlog has been eliminated and the lab is currently up to date.

In Michigan there are 1,177 untested rape kits. http://www.endthebacklog.org/michigan

Does one of these rape kits contain DNA that would match the DNA found at Julia's crime scene? Read this article - it is a *very* worthy read, and shows how not testing rape kits can lead to serial killers on the loose. Credit to Websleuther @Yemelyan for sharing this powerful article on the Abby/Libby thread.

Perhaps our answer is sitting on a shelf in one of those 1,177 untested rape kits....

An Epidemic of Disbelief

2019 Michigan Rape Kit tracking system
MCOLES - Michigan's Sexual Assault Kit Tracking System

The article was citing 2017 data. I have talked to the Michigan State Police crime lab and that backlog has been eliminated and the lab is currently up to date.

Good! Let's hope they keep it up to date. I've been doing a little more research on this topic and most states aren't in compliance and reporting is all over the place. There are various initiatives to federate all this data and get a source of truth....but we are far from being there yet.

This is a critical program that must be fast tracked to bring Perps like Julia's to justice.

Yesterday, the show "Still a Mystery" on Investigation Discovery channel (season 2, episode 6) did a piece on Julia's murder, featuring interviews with her mom and sisters. Hopefully, renewed attention to the case will lead to new tips.
Thanks for posting this. I don't have access to that channel but saw a sliced up/wonky version of the episode on YT. It didn't appear as if there was much new, but it's good to get Julia's story out there. Hopefully it will generate renewed interest in the case. I'm glad the family is actively promoting her case.

Short update...... I filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the city of Ypsilanti requesting " A copy of all Ypsilanti Police press releases related to the murder of Julia Niswender in December of 2012."
The answer from the Police Department was "No records of the press release".
I am left with two possibilities..... YPD did a press release but there are no copies of it or they never did do a press release! Based upon their comments of not wanting any "outside" help, I tend to believe that they never did a press release. For some reason or other, they do not want any publicity about Julia's murder. Why??? Again, I am lead to believe that they made some "mistakes" during their initial investigation and don't want anyone to know about it. Just my speculation but it seems to make more sense as time goes on...................

I have a different speculation as to Ypsi’s approach to Julia’s case. I think their work behind the scenes approach is intentional, and I have long suspected that they have a very strong opinion on a suspect. If my amateur speculation is accurate, this would suggest additional studies are needed to insure a conviction.

The actions and status of all the main players in this case could further support, or refute that speculation.

amateur opinion and speculation

As most of you know, my granddaughter, Julia Niswender, was a student at Eastern Michigan University and was murdered in December 2012. Her murder remains unsolved and since November of 2018, the Ypsilanti Police Department has informed me that they will no longer talk to me. I have emailed them, and they will not respond or even acknowledge that they have received my emails. I have written the Michigan Attorney General over a month ago and have yet to receive a response from that office.

I have submitted Freedom of Information Act requests to the city and they said they do not have any records concerning any police press releases to the public!

Most people nowadays have free long distance. I would like to get the attention of the Ypsilanti Police. I would like to ask my friends and family to call the Ypsilanti Police (non-emergency line) and merely ask them “Has there been any updates on Julia Niswender’s murder case?”

The phone numbers are:
(734) 483-9510, then select option 4 (Detective Bureau) then select option 2 (Detective Coppock). I have been trying this and it is almost impossible to get through!

(734) 482-9816 which is the Chief of Police (Tony DeGiusti)

Please call during normal business hours which are 9AM to 4PM EDT.

I hope lots of calls about this will make them realize that they should provide information to the public. Thanks to all that do make some calls. Call once a day or more often if you want to. I will appreciate any and all assistance you can be. Please feel free to share this information.

Does anyone still care about Julia?
Aside from her Grandfather, no one seems to be talking about her!!!

Why?

The same question remains.
Soon, it will be *eight* years (8!!!) since Julia Niswender was murdered, and there have been ZERO updates from law enforcement on this case. Have people just given up? Does anyone still care about this poor girl and her grieving family? Are people not concerned that this Perp is still walking free amongst the general population?!

I find the silence on this case very troubling. Poor Julia and those who loved her.

It will be 8 years next month and still no arrests and the possibility of that happening looks less and less each and every day that passes. The Ypsilanti Police Dept (YPD) will not submit the required one nanogram of DNA to Parabon Labs for their genetic testing which could result in solving this crime. Why not?? Maybe their initial CSI work did not collect enough DNA but yet they had enough for the Michigan State Police Crime Lab to check and build a profile to check agains CODIS. That lab also requires one nanogram of DNA for their testing. I am starting to firmly believe the YPD original CSI work was not done as well as it could have been. Two years after her murder, the detective was asking Julia's mom if she had a purple rug from the bathroom that was in the crime scene photos! That rug is no where to be found. I firmly believe the YPD released the crime scene too early for the apartment to be "cleaned out" by Julia's family. Her body was found Tuesday evening and the apartment was released by noon on Thursday. Rather quick don't you think. We can not go back in time but only go forward which is why the YPD should take advantage of Parabon Labs testing. I pray for resolution each and every night. Julia deserves justice! I can not believe the Perp is still out there walking around. For all I know, he may be dead already! We need Justice for Julia and resolution for her family.

Amen to that Trojan. Those of us who have been following this case for many years are equally dismayed that more vigorous actions haven't been taken, at least that we the public are aware of. I am equally dismayed that the press doesn't consider this a public service to report that Julia's killer is still on the loose.

The silence is very concerning, and confusing. I pray there is a change in approach very soon. The current one clearly hasn't resulted in an arrest. Let's try something different!

:+:MrTT:+:, Apr 17, 2017 Controversy post when i made it back in 17. It may get deleted now. I've notice the mods are deleted my posts from time to time over time, which makes it much harder to remember the mind set when things were posted.
I quite some time ago raised the flag on this topic as well, but from a different perspective. I was wondering if she attracted attention because she was a white woman dating black men. Either scenario is possible, and shouldn't be dismissed. Your out of the box theory isn't so out of the box IMO. Race could have definitely played a part in this murder.

I quite some time ago raised the flag on this topic as well, but from a different perspective. I was wondering if she attracted attention because she was a white woman dating black men. Either scenario is possible, and shouldn't be dismissed. Your out of the box theory isn't so out of the box IMO. Race could have definitely played a part in this murder.

I do not believe this was the motive for Julia's murder. I may be wrong, but that is my speculation.

I do not believe this was the motive for Julia's murder. I may be wrong, but that is my speculation.
Thank you for your response Trojan. We continue to dig and research for any little detail that might help advance Julia's case. We are certainly no replacement for professional law enforcement, but you never know....one little idea that leads to a tip might be just what helps move this forward. Prayers for you and your family continue. Justice for Julia!

I do not think that race played a big role in Julia's murder. Julia's views on race seem to be mainstream and I don't think anyone would have singled her out for this. She has dated people who were black and who were white,
and the person she went out with the day before her murder had middle-eastern roots.

The semen found on her body suggests sexual motive. But there may also be an underlying hate of the perpetrator that could be personal, or against a group that Julia represents (for example women).

In any case, I will keep following this case,
although I no longer live close to where the crime happened. Officially it is still an open case, but it seems to be on the back burner at the Ypsi police. Perhaps this case would have a better chance of being solved if some cold case unit would look at it.

A few months ago I noticed that a person who claimed to have dated Julia pleaded guilty to and was convicted of attempted aggravated stalking (something most likely unrelated to Julia). I have passed on his name.

Are there any legal scholars here? Is attempted aggravated stalking a felony and would DNA be collected and entered into CODIS for such a crime?

I do not think that race played a big role in Julia's murder. Julia's views on race seem to be mainstream and I don't think anyone would have singled her out for this. She has dated people who were black and who were white,
and the person she went out with the day before her murder had middle-eastern roots.

The semen found on her body suggests sexual motive. But there may also be an underlying hate of the perpetrator that could be personal, or against a group that Julia represents (for example women).

although I no longer live close to where the crime happened. Officially it is still an open case, but it seems to be on the back burner at the Ypsi police. Perhaps this case would have a better chance of being solved if some cold case unit would look at it.

A few months ago I noticed that a person who claimed to have dated Julia pleaded guilty to and was convicted of attempted aggravated stalking (something most likely unrelated to Julia). I have passed on his name.

Are there any legal scholars here? Is attempted aggravated stalking a felony and would DNA be collected and entered into CODIS for such a crime?
It is a felony in Michigan
Michigan Legislature - Section 750.411i

Yes, they would/should collect a DNA Sample: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/CODIS_FAQs_491665_7.pdf

Thank you for being on the ball! Someone needs to be...

Thanks for the info. Could you PM me with the person's name?

Does anyone still care about Julia?
Aside from her Grandfather, no one seems to be talking about her!!!

Why?

I don’t understand it either. Julia was such a beautiful girl, you would think her family and friends would be doing all they can to keep Julia’s case in the lime light.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back