TX TX - Gregory Wedel-Morales, Army soldier, 23, found deceased, Fort Hood, 19 August 2019

The military should act swiftly to do all of this and more - I understand why they had to do this in the first place but I do feel had they just investigated a bit more - they may have discovered he was never AWOL - he was dead. It's a tragedy
JMO

Ita!

Swift action must be taken by the Army to right their assumptions.

I do understand why it was done, but it must now be corrected expeditiously.

If the Army does not do so in a timely manner the family needs to ask for DOD assistance quickly where this young soldier can finally be laid to rest in peacs after his military funeral.

The American flag draped coffin means so much to military families who lay their loved ones to rest.

Those never serving nor have had family members who did will never be able to fully understand how important it is.

Imo, the draping of our beautiful American flag on coffins is one of the greatest honors that can ever be bestowed for our military men, and women who selflessly sacrifice so much for us all.

After the funeral service is completed the soldiers will go through a heart rendering special flag folding ceremony.

It will then be given to his wife, and she will cherish it forever as it always should be.

Jmho

Ita!

Swift action must be taken by the Army to right their assumptions.

I do understand why it was done, but it must now be corrected expeditiously.

If the Army does not do so in a timely manner the family needs to ask for DOD assistance quickly where this young soldier can finally be laid to rest in peacs after his military funeral.

The American flag draped coffin means so much to military families who lay their loved ones to rest.

Those never serving nor have had family members who did will never be able to fully understand how important it is.

Imo, the draping of our beautiful American flag on coffins is one of the greatest honors that can ever be bestowed for our military men, and women who selflessly sacrifice so much for us all.

After the funeral service is completed the soldiers will go through a heart rendering special flag folding ceremony.

It will then be given to his wife, and she will cherish it forever as it always should be.

Jmho
Wow....so his family took the initiative to "track" his car via carfax and THEY alerted CID that someone was attempting to have it inspected in Dallas, not the other way around? :confused:
Army shelved him as AWOL.

I had a rough time in my marriage we didn't file for divorce
I’m so sorry for you and all of his family. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that the military does the right thing since he obviously did not go AWOL.

Thanks for joining us again. It’s never easy losing a loved one, even if y’all were separated. I hope your children are are doing well during this traumatic ordeal.

I hope they have evidence with the car. Someone needs to pay for his death if - and I suspect so - it is a homicide!

"In December Wedel-Morales’ family saw on CARFAX that someone in the Dallas-area was trying to have his car inspected, and alerted CID. In January, they saw the car was transferred to Killeen. In May, CID told Wedel-Morales’ mother, Kim Wedel, that they took the car into possession in January -- promising to run tests."

I also hope the military returns him to honorable quickly!

Prayers for his family during this time. I am sure there are many people that are hurting.

"In December Wedel-Morales’ family saw on CARFAX that someone in the Dallas-area was trying to have his car inspected, and alerted CID. In January, they saw the car was transferred to Killeen. In May, CID told Wedel-Morales’ mother, Kim Wedel, that they took the car into possession in January -- promising to run tests."

It's so disheartening to hear stories like these, of law enforcement dropping the ball. I always take into account that we don't know the whole story. But if this is what it looks like on the surface, we know at the very least that they kept poor communication with the family and the public, and didn't utilize basic investigative tools.
The family didn't even learn until May that the authorities had the car since January.

Does anyone know the process for the military to change the AWOL status? This seems very wrong to me Based on what we are learning now..
JMO

It's worse than AWOL, GWM was assigned AWOL within 30 days of missing and at 90 days his status was "Deserter."

He is no longer considered a soldier and therefore has no benefits, period. His body was released after autopsy but it's on his parent's dime to cover his funeral and pay for his remains transported to Oklahoma.

The video news link below confirms that the decision to remove deserter status from his record is not a FT Hood decision but a decision of Human Resources Command at the US Army.

Mother of Gregory Morales pushing for change in deserter status of her son

He was days away from honorable discharge. The least they can do is give him his honor back posthumously.

This is shameful and a disgrace the way this man and his family are being treated. Nobody looked for GWM. There was no reward until pressure built up for a reward for Vanessa. That's when a tip came in to CID and GWM's remains located.

He absolutely should be restored to the correct status and show that he left his service with honor.

Army CID confirms skeletal remains discovered are those of Gregory Wedel-Morales

June 19, 2020

“I’m just glad he was found. I want to thank whoever it was who sent in the tip,” she said.

According to officials, foul play is suspected and he was identified using dental records. An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the cause and manner of death.

The remains were found during a K9 search of a wooded field in the 3200 block of Florence Road in Killeen after the Fort Hood Criminal Investigation contacted Killeen police in reference to a tip it received.

Killeen officers, Fort Hood CID personnel and a Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife K9 team searched the field Friday morning and discovered the remains and established a crime scene, police said.

Morales’ mother, who lives in Oklahoma, said the Army notified her of the discovery Friday and told her it could be the remains of her son. Saturday morning, Fort Hood officials traveled to Oklahoma and confirmed, in a face-to-face meeting, the remains were indeed those of her son.

Pvt. Morales disappeared on Aug. 19, 2019 and was classified as AWOL, then deserted.

Family of Fort Hood soldier whose remains found in Killeen wants military funeral

June 28, 2020

GWM was located in a field about 4 miles from Ft Hood.

SOCIETY
Family of Fort Hood soldier whose remains found in Killeen wants military funeral

Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:26PM

KILLEEN, Texas (KTRK) -- The family of Gregory Morales, whose remains were found in a field in Killeen, are fighting to get him a military funeral.

According to KXXV-TV, when Morales disappeared in August 2019, the U.S. Army listed it as desertion. Now, Morales' family is responsible for the cost of the funeral, and Morales won't receive a proper military burial.

"He was NOT AWOL or a deserter. He was murdered," Morales' mother, Kim Wedel wrote in a Facebook post. "He deserves all honors and respect due to a soldier."

Morales also went by his former last name of Wedel and was in the midst of being discharged from the Army. The end of his military service was due to be finalized within a couple of days of his disappearance.

The family reached out to U.S. Rep. John Carter to help advocate on Morales' behalf. Carter told KXXV in a statement that he has reached out to Fort Hood.

Morales' brother said the Army is waiting for autopsy results, but they said that they won't clear his deserter status unless he has been dead for 10 months.

Remains of missing Fort Hood soldier Gregory Wedel-Morales found in Killeen, foul play suspected

June 21, 2020

Kim Wedel, the mother of Private Second-Class Gregory Wedel-Morales tells FOX 7 Austin the remains have been identified as his.

On June 21, CID also confirmed the remains to be that of Wedel-Morales and announced that foul play is suspected at this point in the investigation. Morales was positively identified using dental records with the assistance of the U.S. Army Dental Corps.

[..]

Chief of Public Affairs for CID, Christopher Grey told FOX 7 Austin the circumstances surrounding Wedel-Morales’ disappearance were “suspicious.”

In December Wedel-Morales’ family saw on CARFAX that someone in the Dallas-area was trying to have his car inspected, and alerted CID. In January, they saw the car was transferred to Killeen. In May, CID told Wedel-Morales’ mother, Kim Wedel, that they took the car into possession in January -- promising to run tests.

Army Special Agents are working closely with the Killeen Police Department and are offering a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone with credible information concerning the circumstances surrounding the death of Wedel-Morales.

"We just want to thank whoever gave the tip to CID that led to him being found. While the news was not unexpected it is still very hard to process this."

Wedel says her son was “always willing to help anybody.” He grew up in Oklahoma, the eldest of three boys.

She says he “always wanted to join the military,” following in the footsteps of his “dad, uncle, grandfather,” and “many other people.” He joined the Army immediately following high school graduation in 2014.

During his service, he got married and changed his last name from Wedel to Morales. In August 2019, he was in the process of separation. “He wanted to get a job driving for Pepsi like his brother,” said Grey.

The finding comes only a week after they raised the reward for information in the case. The where the remains were located backs up to Kings Court off of Florence Road and is surrounded by neighborhoods.

[..]

Wedel-Morales went missing in August 2019 at the age of 23. The Oklahoma native was labeled AWOL, and then a deserter. He was set to exit the army in September. He had also been making arrangements to work post-army.

He was declared dead at 11:10 a.m. Friday morning and an autopsy has been ordered.

Wedel started a petition to change protocol for labeling soldiers “AWOL.”

“I just want them to take it more seriously when people are missing, especially ones who have no reason to disappear,” she told FOX 7 Austin on June 16.

I realize I haven't been back on this thread in awhile.

I am a little upset that the Army has not taken away the AWOL/Deserter status yet. I feel as if they should have had an autopsy completed by now to hopefully determine how long he has been deceased, and cause of death. Since he was in a shallow grave and a tip led them there, I am convinced it is homicide.

Since the tip was anonymous, is there no way to track who/IP address/Phone tower the trip came from? That person is the key to this investigation, I'm sure. He was days away from ETSing and was excited about going home. I'm not sure how promotions after death work, but I think he should get a promotion as well. I feel like Fort Hood did him no deeds by automatically assuming he was AWOL and not looking for him at all. They could have missed evidence and opportunities to find him and solve his case much faster. I am so glad that he has been found though, so he can be laid to rest properly and his family has closure.

all MOO

Long before VG brought missing soldiers from Ft Hood back to the forefront of media, I've wondered why GWM was deemed AWOL within 30 days of not returning to the base.

Is there any evidence that GWM was being discharged in Sept 2019 for cause (i.e., dishonorable discharge) leading officials to believe that GWM voluntarily walked away and/or worthy of AWOL status?

Is there a procedure that determines when AWOL becomes a deserter? The implications of a deserter are very harsh. This status has left a grieving family with the added task of having to restore dignity to their son/brother that he died a soldier.

I understand that reversing this decision is not made by Ft Hood but the responsibility of Human Resources Command at US Army. Trying to understand the delay.

MOO

Skeletal Remains Identified as Fort Hood Soldier Missing Since 2019

June 22, 2020

“The First Team is saddened by the news of the passing of PV2 Gregory Morales," Maj. Gen. Jeffery Broadwater, commander, 1st Cavalry Division said in a written statement. "His life was taken too soon, and we appreciate his service to our nation."

Morales, of Sapulpa, Okla., entered the Army in June 2015 as a motor transport operator. He had been assigned to the 1st Sustainment Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division.

He was last seen driving his personal vehicle outside of Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas, on Aug. 19, 2019, and was last verbally heard from Aug. 20, 2019. He was scheduled to be discharged within a couple of days of when he disappeared, officials said.

Morales had been awarded two Army Achievement Medals, an Army Good Conduct Medal, a National Defense Service Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a Korea Defense Service Medal, an Overseas Service Ribbon, a Driver and Mechanics Badge and an Army Service Ribbon.
bbm

I realize I haven't been back on this thread in awhile.

I am a little upset that the Army has not taken away the AWOL/Deserter status yet. I feel as if they should have had an autopsy completed by now to hopefully determine how long he has been deceased, and cause of death. Since he was in a shallow grave and a tip led them there, I am convinced it is homicide.

Since the tip was anonymous, is there no way to track who/IP address/Phone tower the trip came from? That person is the key to this investigation, I'm sure. He was days away from ETSing and was excited about going home. I'm not sure how promotions after death work, but I think he should get a promotion as well. I feel like Fort Hood did him no deeds by automatically assuming he was AWOL and not looking for him at all. They could have missed evidence and opportunities to find him and solve his case much faster. I am so glad that he has been found though, so he can be laid to rest properly and his family has closure.

all MOO
I have no doubt this was a homicide. As to his status, the army, like any government institution, is a bureaucratic nightmare. This will take time, but I have absolutely no doubt that he will not keep that “AWOL” designation. It’s just a matter of when that is rescinded.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back