Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59
Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

Permanent thread bans have been and will be issued for members who persist in trying to make the thread about politics.

In case you have not read the opening posts above, please etch this part of Tricia's post above in your memory:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT

Hey everyone,

Politicizing is not allowed. We realize it's difficult to separate Covid from politics in this discussion, but ...

If you are going to post about 1 or 1 million people attending a rally, a church event, etc, put on by God knows who, make sure your post indicates how the content of that post relates to Covid19 and isn't just about politics or political figures.

From Tricia's post at the beginning of each of these threads:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

This post lands at random.

Address the post and NOT the poster.

Snarky, rude and personalizing posts that disrespect or denigrate another member get removed and may result in a permanent Thread Reply Ban or a board Time Out.

Politics, racial tensions, dismantling of statues, and protests are off limits.

If members wish to mention protests as they relate to the potential for spreading of the virus, that's fine, but otherwise it is off limits.

I'm a big proponent of social distancing, wearing masks, and sometimes being just plain anti-social. But I have trouble with the beach thing. My sense, based on zero scientific evidence, is that the virus gets easily diluted and disappates
in that type of environment. Not to mention, my father-in-law, God rest his soul, always said that salt water cures everything (well at least poison ivy). I also heard it's gonna be hot as heck in the south this weekend - so what's the alternative - everyone socializes indoors where the A/C will re-circulate all those germs? I say keep the beaches open, stay on your own blanket, and keep 6 feet from strangers.

The idea of ascribing "points" to the worth of individuals is the first step to medical genocide. What's even more horrifying is the state has openly decided to do it and citizens don't even blink.

Why not transfer patients to states/hospitals that have laid off staff, including doctors and nurses, due to lack of patients and revenue? Use VA hospitals? Build field hospitals? Convert hotels?

No, let's just tell everyone our solution is to willfully deny care to some arbitrary group of people we've decided are worth less than others. No one will mind.

Pathetic.

Horrifying, IMO. I remember reading stories about this sort of thing happening in Italy a few months ago and how traumatized the doctors and other health care workers were by having to decide who would live and who would die.

I'm a big proponent of social distancing, wearing masks, and sometimes being just plain anti-social. But I have trouble with the beach thing. My sense, based on zero scientific evidence, is that the virus gets easily diluted and disappates
in that type of environment. Not to mention, my father-in-law, God rest his soul, always said that salt water cures everything (well at least poison ivy). I also heard it's gonna be hot as heck in the south this weekend - so what's the alternative - everyone socializes indoors where the A/C will re-circulate all those germs? I say keep the beaches open, stay on your own blanket, and keep 6 feet from strangers.
The problem is people don’t just sit on their blanket all day or keep 6 feet away from people not in their group. How do you tell kids to just stand still in one small spot of water? It will be jam packed with people yelling loudly at their kids, their friends, etc.
The local beaches will be tent to tent with people.

This Field of Dreams thing is so damned stupid. It really was a huge dream of mine to go. But it is not worth risking lives. There’s no way in hell it’s actually going to happen, IMO, so it’s dumb to get people’s hopes up. This will just make for some super depressed and upset kids and adults when it gets cancelled. And if it doesn’t, then it’s going to result in some dead baseball fans, and probably some I know since this is pretty close to me.

I’m just venting. I don’t want to see anything about this on FB because then I will know which of my friends are going to risk their lives for this.

ETA - this is a good example of some of us being upset about any idiotic mass gathering, not just rallies and 4th of July celebrations. And this one is way off yet. I’m still against it.
IMO-since the MLB season is starting on July 23 and I've read nothing about the fans being allowed at games (at least not for the Chicago Cubs anyway), I'm fairly confident that they are planning on playing this game without fans and it will be televised nationally. I'm fairly confident that I read other teams are not having fans either and will put up cardboard people and record crowd noise to play at the games. I know some states are allowing crowds at sporting events, but this might just be an MLB rule even if the state allows it. Again all IMO.
ETA-This article does say it's not yet known if fans will be allowed to attend.
IMO-Not sure how many were going to be able to fit in there anyway, but maybe they would do half capacity and distance them like some other sports are doing?White Sox to take on Cardinals at Field of Dreams stadium

Last edited:
Yes, if these people could social distance. But what we saw what happened with beaches is that people packed into the beaches, without any social distancing. Also people drive from other places to these beaches, have parties, eat/drink at restaurants/bars, then go back home and spread covid there. That happened with a bunch of teenagers. So who wants these trouble?
Here is a story about one such beach.
"With summer in full swing — and the Fourth of July holiday around the corner — scores of Americans have booked hotels, hit the boardwalk and camped out along the popular South Carolina coast. The unexpected rush of vacationers has helped rejuvenate a local economy left in tatters this spring when shops closed and travel halted nationwide amid the pandemic. But it has also turned the Myrtle Beach region into a coronavirus hot spot — and a startling example of the difficult, and perhaps deadly, calculation some cities and states face about when to reopen."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/07/01/myrtle-beach-reopening-coronavirus/

Exciting news: there’s another WHO team going in again next week to try to find the zoonotic source.

Cross your fingers!

*source

(ETA/making note: some previous comments re: initial findings (surface examinations @ Wuhan market, extent of initial investigation, etc. were via Dr. Sylvie, iirc.)

Last edited:
IMO-since the MLB season is starting on July 23 and I've read nothing about the fans being allowed at games (at least not for the Chicago Cubs anyway), I'm fairly confident that they are planning on playing this game without fans and it will be televised nationally. I'm fairly confident that I read other teams are not having fans either and will put up cardboard people and record crowd noise to play at the games. I know some states are allowing crowds at sporting events, but this might just be an MLB rule even if the state allows it. Again all IMO.
ETA-This article does say it's not yet known if fans will be allowed to attend.
IMO-Not sure how many were going to be able to fit in there anyway, but maybe they would do half capacity and distance them like some other sports are doing?White Sox to take on Cardinals at Field of Dreams stadium
Without fans, a game at the Field of Dreams is pointless, IMO. Plus, they want those ticket sales. We'll see, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288