Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The East Lampeter Township Police Department & the FBI ask you not to spread rumors on social media about the search for Linda Stoltzfoos. Do not be responsible for redirecting our efforts away from where they need to be…. We should all unite to find Linda.

Sourced via CRIMEWATCH®: CASE: Linda Stoltzfoos Missing Person
I hope people listen. I understand it’s unsettling when a young person is missing locally, but people here are losing their minds. I’ve seen pictures of at least three vehicles posted by local “concerned citizens” with long, dramatic stories of “suspicious behavior” that “probably has something to do with that missing Amish girl!!!”

So people share the post. Some call the police. Then people post that they’ve talked to the police, it was checked out, and the vehicle was a delivery van with paperwork showing a legit delivery in the area. (It’s usually something that people could have observed on their own without jumping to conclusions.) But then it’s all reposted and other people call police about the van. Some insist that the police fell for a story and that the van really is there to kidnap children “and probably grabbed that Amish girl too!!!!!”

And on and on it goes. Such a waste of police resources. No wonder most police families I know hate social media.

BBM- This gives me reason to pause. Do the Amish "co-mingle" (for lack of a better word) with other Amish communities? Might there be a suitor from another community (either welcomed by LS or not)? Creepers can be Amish, too. Just saying...
Amish church districts are usually 20-30 families in a geographic area. But most of those families have friends and relatives in other church districts, so they do interact. And definitely there is dating among groups.

One widowed Amish lady I met was telling me about her daughter’s unsuccessful experience with dating. The girl’s father died just before that time, so some other dads in their church stepped in to try to help her meet some young men. She eventually had a few dates with a guy from another community. The mom didn’t give details but said they were initially sad when it ended but then relieved because they found out the guy was “a bad one.” So, yeah, it’s the same drama everyone else has.

They go through the same things we do...just didferent ways because of lack of availability. Maybe she had a journal...a best friend confidant...I'm sure they're looking into that. The old ways of doing things compared to how young people her age do it now. Considering those old ways its good police work... talking to people..searching her life.

I wonder if the family walked the same road the night she would have looking for her. If it were me I'd have looked on both sides and specifically for things like disturbed areas. I'm sure they may have and then that may have disturbed the area from it's natural state.

If we are thinking not side of road because chances of being found already were high and are thinking out buildings or somewhere that smell doesnt carry then we have to assume she was followed...someone who knew the area and knew of buildings unused and unnoticed. If a crime of opportunity you wouldnt know those buildings unless you were close and knew area well. If a crime if intent you would but then that means someone knows something. Tiffs arguments secrets. Which again leads to police work.

If she left...I've seen it happen in mennonite community..drugs, mental health affect these things sometimes as much as everyone else...guy was halfway across the country. She could have but how...a car? She didnt have one probably. A bike...shed have been biking home then. What resources does she have. Does she have any her own available money. If not well shes not on her own then.

Maybe a tryst. Even the quiet girls can be caught up in lust and love and romantic ideas. I'd be scared to go home if I were her too then.

If I had to look at all these.. I'd pick willingly over unwillingly. I hope anyway.

Imo*****

Talked to the Lampeter PD today. They have my credentials and contact information. The dispatcher and Sargent were very nice. Will let you know if I get called out, but understand I may be limited in what I can share here.

At this point, I see only two possibilities and while neither would surprise me, one seems far more likely than the other:

- Abduction by someone she knew/who knew her: Most likely someone she had met working the stand or out in public who stalked her and LS, being so trusting and docile, had no idea what was coming. Offhand chance that it was someone she met through a secret life of some kind on SM or whatever but I don't find that very plausible. Also very possible it was someone within the community who knew her, abducted her, did whatever and then reappeared. Far more likely imo - personal chances of it being this are around 60%.

- Planned leave: Wanted to leave the Amish life and ran away either by herself or with another person she knew. Hard to believe she ran away alone given how sheltered and again docile she was but it could be the case. Could be that she met someone working, they befriended her and planned to 'get her out' of the community, etc. Less likely but possible - chances of it being this are around 35% imo.

The other possibilities such as abduction by a random person or even further out there theories (aka the "it was aliens" type stuff) just don't hold weight for me given how rare they are in general and the circumstances surrounding her disappearance. They have a 5% or less chance of being what actually occurred.

I actually have started to think this is one that might go a long time before being solved given how little LE has to go on and the lack of a digital trail given her lifestyle. There hasn't even been a PC saying anyone who saw such and such vehicle/person/etc. call this number for tips. It's rare for a case to have this much attention after a week and have so few leads or info. :(

To family and neighbors, it's a heartbreaking mystery: Where is 18-year-old Linda Stoltzfoos? Stoltzfoos is the young Amish woman who was reported missing June 21 in Lancaster County. Now, ten days later, she is the subject of billboards and flyers from York to Lancaster and Philadelphia.

The FBI is assisting East Lampeter Township Police in their efforts to locate the young woman with additional resources, according to officials.

A simple search on Facebook or Youtube with her name brings up numerous pages where people are posting their theories on her whereabouts - rumors of possible foul play and Stoltzfoos potentially leaving the Amish religion.

While police have stopped their physical search for Linda, the Amish have not. Lt. Matt Hess says the focus for East Lampeter's detective is now sifting through all the tips received.

Lt. Hess says the department has not yet ruled out that Linda may have walked off on her own accord, despite contradicting reports that foul play is involved. Police say a lack of physical evidence is making the investigation more challenging.

"Yes, the lack of physical evidence," explained Lt. Hess. "The lack of, maybe, a social media imprint or the things that a traditional English person may be accustomed to."

It has been reported Linda was last seen walking along Stumptown Road after a church event, but police say that's not correct. They say Linda was last seen at a church event located on Stumptown Road between Beechdale and Gibbons Road. She was supposed to go to another church event later in the day.

East Lampeter Township Police address rumors circulating online about Linda Stoltzfoos whereabouts

Last edited:
I will let you know. Contacting LT Hess at East Lampeter PD today.

Hi there, @Trackergd, *Thank you* for your willingness to use your skills and experience to assist LE in this case. **Love** that you are not only willing to do so should that opportunity occur, but also that you are generous of your time and knowledge (knowledge of a very helpful subject when it comes to cases of missing persons).

We at WS understand that, should you participate in such a search (now or in the future), what you can share here -- if *anything* -- is likely very limited. Our thoughts and prayers are with LS' family, as well as with those working diligently to search, gather information, and to move toward locating LS. Thanks again from all of us!

Others on here have asked important questions:

Did no one wonder why LS missed Youth Group after church? None of her peers wondered where she was?

Did no one at home wonder why the bars were still there?

I guess it seems odd that in a small community, there wasn’t a random conversation on Sunday about why she wasn’t where she was expected.

I agree with ACG2x but, unfortunately, we should not discount a completely random abduction. We have seen this scenario before and it is so heartbreaking. Maybe we can only hope that there was at least one witness who saw something or a security camera or two along her supposed route home. We can be sure that law enforcement is looking at everything. They have probably been looking at all the cameras at gas stations, fast food, etc. in the surrounding areas.

Since we know very little about Linda, her family, community and relationships, it's impossible to say one way or the other if voluntarily leaving would have been in the radar. Is it possible? Yes, of course. Maybe I'm just projecting my own motherly instincts and have my rose-colored glasses on...but would a beloved daughter with a loving family (7 siblings) just walk away and put them through that heartbreak? I doubt it. She was 18 and free to go if she wished.

A couple points:
The Amish don't have churches. They hold services in member's houses. It's possible that someone at the service Linda attended on June 21 knows something, as they may have been the last people to have seen her. I hope everyone in attendance has been questioned and the house thoroughly searched. Did anyone there see her leave? Did anyone there see her walking on the road?
It seems unlikely she would have run away during a pandemic, right after church, taking no possessions or extra clothes with her. It also seems unlikely she'd have willingly gotten into a car with a stranger. She went missing in daylight hours. It seems to me, just as a hunch, that she knew the person or persons. No one claims to have witnessed a struggle as far as I've heard.
Did she have a job outside her parent's farm?
I believe it was mentioned that LS works at the soft pretzel stand IIRC

East Lampeter Township Police address rumors circulating online about Linda Stoltzfoos whereabouts

It has been reported Linda was last seen walking along Stumptown Road after a church event, but police say that's not correct. They say Linda was last seen at a church event located on Stumptown Road between Beechdale and Gibbons Road.
———————
Every article I have read up to this point have ALL said that she was seen at Beechdale & Stumptown walking alone...But now, that’s not the case? *scratching head*

It has been reported Linda was last seen walking along Stumptown Road after a church event, but police say that's not correct. They say Linda was last seen at a church event located on Stumptown Road between Beechdale and Gibbons Road.
———————
Every article I have read up to this point have ALL said that she was seen at Beechdale & Stumptown walking alone...But now, that’s not the case? *scratching head*
Me too. I guess after drilling down, investigators realized no one actually saw Linda walking home. Maybe that’s why they want to talk to anyone who traveled those roads in the 8-4 timeframe.

So, did she leave at all? Did she tell anyone she was leaving, or did they just assume she’d left when they didn’t notice her there anymore? Presumably the place they had church that week was thoroughly searched, along with adjacent fields and buildings.

Did she leave the service in a carriage with someone? You can’t really see into the closed ones.

Did she leave the service and get into a vehicle? Happenstance or prearranged?

Lots of questions.

Edited to add: I wonder if the report of Linda seen walking around 12 or 12:30 was actually someone else in her family that was seen. Sometimes Amish families wear matching clothing to church or for other special days.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if she entered a vehicle, it was most likely voluntary because she recognized and trusted the individual. It would have been more difficult and time consuming for a vehicle to stop, the driver to get out and run around the car, grab her, open the trunk or a door, put her in, slam the door, run back around, get in and drive away without being noticed. Possible but not probable MOO MOO

Last edited:
Seems to me that nobody knows what happened. Is this deliberate And Amish community are covering or just bad reporting? Could hamper this case if the facts aren’t quickly established....

how many go to these ‘churches’ as I read pews etc are transported to accommodate everyone

are vehicles used? I thought not on sundays but would that also mean Amish people are not permitted lifts from non Amish?

The facts in this case are very wishy washy and that’s concerning

Imo....Maybe only a select few would be involved in any cover up, not the entire community! Or did something else happen that Linda witnessed?

from what I can gather she was last seen in an Amish home (church) within the Amish community alongside Amish family and friends.....yet we are led to believe non Amish Mr Nobody has abducted her?

Imo....Maybe only a select few would be involved in any cover up, not the entire community! Or did something else happen that Linda witnessed?

from what I can gather she was last seen in an Amish home (church) within the Amish community alongside Amish family and friends.....yet we are led to believe non Amish Mr Nobody has abducted her?
I don’t think that’s THE theory. It’s just A theory out of several possibilities. Now that the FBI got involved, I feel confident that the Amish community isn’t just getting a pass. That’s probably how they now arrived at the awareness that no one actually saw Linda walking home on the road. I just think there’s very little to go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam