Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #65

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s now July 2nd, and the total number of nursing home residents in the state of New York who died with COVID-19 exceeds the total number of deaths with COVID-19 among all residents (nursing home or otherwise) of the following states combined:

Florida
Georgia
Texas
South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky
Tennessee
Kansas
West Virginia
Utah
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wyoming

Yeah I had posted last night, but deleted it, that IMO it would be an absolute miracle if no transmissions occurred during all those many mass gatherings. Yes some wore masks, but not all did, including some LE, and there was very close crowding in some instances, high fiveing-in fact direct physical contact even occurred in some instances with LE. Remember that night I stayed up all night and documented all the physical assaults on cops, etc.?

The sheer numbers alone of those gathered in over 40 cities around the US, iirc. 60,000 in Houston, and we saw what happened with the Philly Parade in 1918 which was outdoors.

Now, here’s a thought: IMO it’s highly unreliable if a media report says no transmissions occurred during the protests bc I doubt they have access to information about all the known chains of transmission. There are strong confidentiality requirements in place, and on top of that, CDC and local health departments, etc are not going to (necessarily) report their findings to the media. Also data may be being analyzed as we speak.

So, imo, it’s virtually impossible that no transmissions occurred during the protests. And if they haven’t linked any, which I doubt, perhaps those transmissions just aren’t known or activities revealed to contact tracers, etc. Also, as @katydid23 mentioned, they would have to use facilities, etc.

I saw a media article that said “no transmissions have been known to have occurred”, but I don’t buy this one bit, based on what we have learned so far about this disease, JMO.

Now to read the article, @Sundog. Very curious what it says.

Last edited:
no bathroom in the basement-there is a bzthroomon the first floor

I would let them use The bathroom. Keep the door closed for a couple days after they use it and then disinfect well. Unless there’s only one bathroom. Then it gets scary. But they’re human and I can’t see having people work on my house without being able to use the bathroom.

I guess I would just clean it well after, while wearing a mask.

It’s now July 2nd, and the total number of nursing home residents in the state of New York who died with COVID-19 exceeds the total number of deaths with COVID-19 among all residents (nursing home or otherwise) of the following states combined:

Florida
Georgia
Texas
South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky
Tennessee
Kansas
West Virginia
Utah
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wyoming

That’s unacceptable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...29280c-bc97-11ea-bdaf-a129f921026f_story.html

Three paragraphs since it is likely behind a paywall:

Vice President Pence’s trip to Arizona this week had to be postponed by a day after several Secret Service agents who helped organize the visit either tested positive for the coronavirus or were showing symptoms of being infected.

Pence was scheduled to go to Phoenix on Tuesday but went on Wednesday instead so that healthy agents could be deployed for his visit, according to two senior administration officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private details of the trip.

Arizona has seen a spike in cases in recent weeks, and Pence scaled back the trip before the delay because of the growing amount of infections in the state.

Secret Service agents seem to be getting a lot of infections in the course of their duties. Don't they rate PPE?

Some pushback on the COVID party meme. This is from the Wired site:

‘Covid Parties’ Are Not a Thing

THE DREADED “COVID party” has come to Alabama. Even as the number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in the state reached record highs, news came out this week that college students in Tuscaloosa have been throwing parties with infected guests, then betting on the contagion that ensues. “They put money in a pot and they try to get Covid,” said City Council member Sonya McKinstry. “Whoever gets Covid first gets the pot. It makes no sense.”

That much, at least, is true: This story makes no sense. Despite its implausibility and utter lack of valid sourcing, the fantasy of Alabama virus gamblers has nonetheless exploded across the internet, with slack-jawed coverage turning up in CNN, the New York Post, and the Associated Press, among many others. A representative headline declares, “Tuscaloosa students held parties, bet on who got coronavirus first.”

Edited to fix grammar

I just don’t understand what the point is for this to happen. What is the hoped for outcome? Is it political? Is it rebellious? Is it simply stupid with no thought out process? Is it “look at us having a great time....and no one got covid”? I’m not even political so I’m not bashing anyone. I’m just truly confused. It’s like brain cells have been replaced by slugs that have had salt poured on them. *scratching my head*
IMO, it's because November 4: "keep the eye on the prize".

Some pushback on the COVID party meme. This is from the Wired site:

‘Covid Parties’ Are Not a Thing

Edited to fix grammar

Snopes has looked into it further .... here is a little bit of what Snopes referenced. (Hopefully I am allowed to put this here.)

Dr. Ramesh Peramsetty, a local physician, was quoted by the Tuscaloosa News as saying that there had been rumors of parties for about a month.
“While my nursing staff was triaging patients for COVID-19 swabbing, they were told about the COVID-19 house parties and were even shown videos of the parties by college students,” Peramsetty said. “When students are called for results, we noticed that some were very excited and happy that they were positive, while others were very upset that they were negative.”

(Just google snopes covid parties.)

And here is a small part of what the Tuscaloosa News said.

″... We thought that was kind of a rumor at first,” Smith said to the council. “We did some additional research. Not only did the doctors’ offices help confirm it, but the state confirmed they had also had the same information.”
Cases rise in youth amid reports of 'COVID parties'

Last edited:
At this point it doesn't seem to matter whether they are intentionally trying to catch covid at these parties or not. They spread it just the same. Seems obvious that young people partying is contributing a lot to the spread.

Outbreak of COVID-19 at the University of Washington's Greek Row | Daily Mail Online

171 students at University of Washington test positive: they were partying hard on that campus

As I live and breathe, what is wrong with our youth these days. I guess they really are the me me me generation.

The sad thing is that we cannot blame them solely for their me, me, me attitude. We raised them. Us, and the rest of the society that we created.

And while some may be going through a rebellious stage, one would have hoped that any ethics instilled in them by their parents would shine through in a crisis.

Who would have thought that the privilege of being able to go to University, and have many of the things that they want, would somehow lead to this disregard of other human lives?

Thank goodness they are not all like that.

Last edited:
Y'all! It is happening. Doctors are having to "choose".
This ~ 10 min video crushed my soul.
"Doctor Jeffrey Dellavolpe recalled a recent shift as the worst day so far. He said he had 10 patients and only three beds available."

"Now he says he’s lost track of how many patients in their 20s he has treated."
Inside look: San Antonio Methodist Hospital overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients

Give them a coffee can and send them to their truck or the bushes.

LOL! I recall only one time when a contractor asked to use the bathroom. He is our regular painter and has been to our home several times in 27+ years. Other contractors must "hold it" and take care of their "business" during lunch breaks when they go to local fast food outlets. The window installers who were in our home on Tuesday asked if they could wash their hands when they finished the job, and I directed them to the laundry room.

The sad thing is that we cannot blame them solely for their me, me, me attitude. We raised them.

And while some may be going through a rebellious stage, one would have hoped that any ethics instilled in them by their parents would shine through in a crisis.

Who would have thought that the privilege of being able to go to University, and have many of the things that they want, would somehow lead to this disregard of other human lives?

Thank goodness they are not all like that.
I remember what it was like to being young, when school was out for summer. I don't think it's how they've been brought up, it's hormones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53