Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Ok well I got logged in on.my phone but can't figure out how to attach pictures of my plant damage. Is there a WS app cause this is really annoying.

Click in the comment box, then you click the button that says Upload a File and go from there.

Click in the comment box, then you click the button that says Upload a File and go from there.

I tried that. It takes me to a page I don't recognize and then there are six pictures to choose from, one of which isn't even mine - don't know where it came from - someone's black & white cat. Except there are actually hundreds of pictures on my phone, including the ones I just took of my plants. I'm gonna post on a tech thread for advice. sorry for derailing this one.

I transplanted about half zucchini’s and half green beans yesterday morning and did the liquid miracle gro this morning - interesting thing I discovered - despite watering a couple times a day (morning and late afternoon) the bottom of the soil was totally dry - so I need to water longer and more thoroughly I guess ? Will work on the rest - 3 day weekend coming up and we are staying home

I transplanted about half zucchini’s and half green beans yesterday morning and did the liquid miracle gro this morning - interesting thing I discovered - despite watering a couple times a day (morning and late afternoon) the bottom of the soil was totally dry - so I need to water longer and more thoroughly I guess ? Will work on the rest - 3 day weekend coming up and we are staying home

When you're watering, try sticking the hose all the way down the container, as if you're going down to meet the roots. That way , you'll know the roots will be reaching down for that water.

Last edited:
my cucumbers have bug damage now too

If they are in pots, the best way is to put the little veggie pot in a bigger no bottom hole container. Fill big container with water. Little pot with veggies will wick up water from the bottom up. You’ll be surprised at how much of the water the little pot will absorb. Best is for top of little pot to be at water level. It seems that it cannot suck up more water than level of water in big pot. Equilibrium met. Little pot takes in water until it reaches level of water in big pot. Add more water to big pot, little pot will continue to wick up water. Be careful trying to lift little pot out of big pot. It will be really heavy. Little pot veggies will love you.
ETA: once completely soaked like this, slow watering will keep the soil moist. A trickle. The water will have a chance to flow into all the dirt. If you have a fast water source, it tends to drain around the edges of the pot.

Last edited:
Three courgettes, the size of my pinky finger, have appeared almost overnight, it feels. The cucumbers have flowers, the tomato plants have many, many flowers and I’m so impatient as I wait for baby ‘maters to appear. Cream and red flowers have sprung up on the runner beans and I had such an intense memory when I saw them this morning - of my Grampy and my favourite Aunty in their vegetable garden. I could swear I smelt the Pears soap my Aunty always used...
Anyway, I’m babbling. There is so much happening in the garden right now - the honeysuckle is finally thriving and there is a flower in my jasmine plant (woo hoo!). More butterflies than I’ve seen in years. And the bees! I have a valerian bush under the bedroom window, planted for the cats to play in. At lunchtime there were four huge bumblebees collecting pollen. I’m always so amazed at how they stay up, they really don’t seem engineered to fly and hover the way they do :p

I mentioned this on another thread...try using diatomaceous earth on the leaves of the plants where you see the damage. Just sprinkle on some of the powder, it won't hurt the plants.

Home Depot or Tractor Supply store....$10 or less.

DE is great around the house, in the cabinets, anywhere you see insect activity. Gets them.

I love this thread. I feel like I need to print it out and put it in a little binder. I’ve learned so much. The problems and solutions are universal no matter your location.

SWFL doesn’t lend itself to growing anything but peppers in the summer. I’m planning out my cool season garden. Oct-May. My fenced back yard is 75’ x 75’ plus the side yards. I want to plant the entire thing and have zero grass! LOL!

The value of every thing in containers is that you can move them around. I moved the tomatoes and zucchini to the south side of my garden area.

Every thing is growing, a picked a few peppers. It has been raining and chilly here for the last few weeks. Might warm up a bit.

The flowers look amazing. I have a giant sunflower plant, several petunias, geraniums, snapdragons, marigolds. I moved those to the north side.

I love this thread. I feel like I need to print it out and put it in a little binder. I’ve learned so much. The problems and solutions are universal no matter your location.

SWFL doesn’t lend itself to growing anything but peppers in the summer. I’m planning out my cool season garden. Oct-May. My fenced back yard is 75’ x 75’ plus the side yards. I want to plant the entire thing and have zero grass! LOL!

Three vegetables survive the summer heat in Jax - small tomatoes (grape or cherry types), peppers and okra.

Have you tried growing okra during hot weather? I love okra in every form (steamed, fried, stewed w/tomatoes, etc.). Plus the plants are pretty with large blooms.

OMG! I saw a few deer across the street. And here is my beautiful garden, looking like a wanton woman laying out, ready for her lover. Beautiful, verdant, fertile. And completely exposed! No fence!

Those feral creatures better stay away. I know, they are beautiful. But this year, they are out of control. There are so many wandering around every where. If I go outside and see my garden devastated by those fleabags...I am going to be very annoyed.

Going to Home Depot for garden netting today.

OMG! I saw a few deer across the street. And here is my beautiful garden, looking like a wanton woman laying out, ready for her lover. Beautiful, verdant, fertile. And completely exposed! No fence!

Those feral creatures better stay away. I know, they are beautiful. But this year, they are out of control. There are so many wandering around every where. If I go outside and see my garden devastated by those fleabags...I am going to be very annoyed.

Going to Home Depot for garden netting today.
Uh oh! It sounds like they were scoping out your ‘hood!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back