Arizona - Coronavirus COVID-19

I know someone who tried to get tested - after getting turned away from one facility, being unable to complete CVS' online scheduling form due to a website bug, and calling around, only to be told to check back later in the week, she gave up. By the time she could get tested and get the results, the Covid, if that's what she has, will have passed.

If the testing situation is that messed up all over the country, then we need to give up dreams of being like New Zealand.
I believe New Zealand was able to get their act together so quickly, due to their reaction to their terrorist attack. They came together, worked together, and banded as one nation to heal their wounds. Their leadership came together in both instances, and their citizens were able to believe in the ultimate goal.

That is our goal also. Defeat this nasty virus. And yes, I live in a dream world that believes that any life lost, is one too many.

Sure, we have lives lost over the (so called) normal average. I recall seeing some average like 8,000 people dying, on average, every day of the week. All those cancers, heart attacks, any number of ailments, and diseases. The numbers are disheartening. I need to find that article. It claimed the 'over average' with Covid-19 was close to 1,000 people dying, on average, every day of the week. That's what, twelve (12) percent more deaths, on average, every day of the week? Is that acceptable to our society? What if it was five (5) percent? Or even two (2) percent? What percentage can we all accept as normal for our society?

We have 120,000 (give or take?) fatalities in our United States. When was our first fatality, March 2nd? We will be coming up on July 2nd. Four months. Roughly 30,000 fatalities per month. Yeah, close to 1,000 more deaths every day.

We need to get all of those fatality numbers down! The question is can we? Will we? We certainly need to. All IMHO unless I can find that article and link it.

What if it was five (5) percent? Or even two (2) percent? What percentage can we all accept as normal for our society?

Assuming Ducey's figures of 30% living normal lives again, 30% never leaving their homes, and 40% on the fence, then that's a conversation the 40% need to have. The people I talk to in the other two groups don't care what the number is. Those of us that are out and about believe that the mortality rate will eventually settle at a number under 1%, but aren't concerned if it's higher. Those that are on permanent lock down tend to have a litany of heath issues, real or imagined, they believe make them prime targets, even if the mortality rate dropped close to zero.

My concern is that the 40% are swayed by the loudest voice they hear, and that voice talks about case numbers, while ignoring mortality.

Story about difficulty getting tested. The real take away, in my opinion, are the quotes about "lying" to get a test, and lamenting telling the truth about potential exposure and not being able to return to work until tested. Once people start lying about symptoms to avoid missing work, or a bbq, the only way out is heard immunity.
Arizonans express frustration trying to get a COVID-19 test or test results

42 deaths reported today, which are back-filling those days of 2 and 3 deaths. High for June is 22, on the 7th. April 30 and May 7 remain highest days, with 26 each.

I see that deaths for May 7 have been adjusted up to 27, and several days in June have been adjusted up to 26. So the daily death reports can be at least six weeks late.

Death rate (deaths over cases) down to 2.36%
New daily high of 28 deaths on June 15.

Death rate down to 2.3%
Highest daily death count = 32, June 15th

Death rate down to 2.0%
Highest daily total June 15 and 16. 33 each.

Dr Cara Christ said there was a problem with case/test/death data in AZ, so I will wait a couple of days for that to sort itself out.

There is concern over hospital capacity, which centers around ICU beds. On March 26 there where 458 ICU beds available. Today there are 187. In a State with 7.3 million people, that is a difference of 271 beds.

Death rate steady at 2%
June 16 adjusted down, so June 15 is high with 33 deaths.

Arizona coronavirus update: Cases down, but hospital figures up

“Arizona reported nearly 3,333 new COVID-19 cases and 37 additional deaths on Thursday, a big drop from the previous day's record-breaking case and death numbers, according to data from the Arizona Department of Health Services.

But the number of people in the hospitals and using ventilators broke records Wednesday.”
Bbm

This is exactly why the disease is dangerous. It has had little to do with the death rate from the beginning, but more to do with the ability of the healthcare system to handle it. Then, when they can't handle it, the death rate goes up. ICUs and hospitals can become quickly overwhelmed. I'm in Ohio and my daughter is in AZ. I have watched AZ and its governor be totally irresponsible since the beginning, while Ohio's governor, Trump, and the doctors made it clear from the beginning to people who were really listening, that this was exactly the danger. It's the reason the national guard was immediately sent to New York to set up hospitals and tents and the reason that ships were sent to hot spots. And now, it's the reason the Feds are sending 500 medical personnel to AZ. I hope AZ was listening when they were told to set up auxiliary medical facilities for the overflow. I'm assuming that's where the extra 500 will go.

I can't say AT ALL, that I didn't see this coming for AZ.

And I have to say that at this point I am also frustrated right now with the Ohioans that are at this time simply "done with this" and not following any guidelines at all. I'm not even 60 yet, with pre-existings, and also an essential worker who was told I have to work. You don't think I'm done with this too? I need a break and can't. I'm Following the guidelines.

Last edited:
AZ death rate down to 1.9%
Daily high 34 on June 19

AZ death rate down to 1.7%
Daily high remains 34 on June 19

Death rate up to 1,8%
Daily high 39 June 25th

Difficulty obtaining tests remains an issue.

“One in four COVID-19 tests in Arizona is coming back positive, the highest percentage in the country, according to Johns Hopkins University, and an indicator that there isn't enough testing to keep up with the new coronavirus' spread in the state.

[...]

“Arizona has the highest percentage among all states of positive tests, according to data from Johns Hopkins, with an average of 25.3% of tests coming back positive as of Tuesday.“

[...]

“Johns Hopkins says its data on test positivity rates is based on 7-day rolling averages because of fluctuations in daily reporting.”

Arizona has highest percentage of positive COVID-19 tests in the US. Here's what it means

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back