Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way this case has gone, it wouldn't surprise me if people did come forward and have their tips either ignored or lost in the bureaucratic shuffle...
The owner of this site just did an interview with Tim Miller, the owner of Texas EquuSearch, whose daughter disappeared in 1984 and whose remains were found 18 months later.
-
Tim mentioned that when he saw a newspaper article stating that skeletal remains had been found—remains that later turned out to be those of Laura, his daughter—he called the local police department to see whether the remains could be Laura's. The police department no longer had the missing-person report. They had thrown it away. They had figured Laura had run away and not taken the report seriously.

The owner of this site just did an interview with Tim Miller, the owner of Texas EquuSearch, whose daughter disappeared in 1984 and whose remains were found 18 months later.
-
Tim mentioned that when he saw a newspaper article stating that skeletal remains had been found—remains that later turned out to be those of Laura, his daughter—he called the local police department to see whether the remains could be Laura's. The police department no longer had the missing-person report. They had thrown it away. They had figured Laura had run away and not taken the report seriously.
bbm
Yeah too many of those. With that attitude it's never surprising when someone is identified who was never reported missing, (or was, but "file not found.")

Only the other day I read of someone who tried reporting their son missing and the police said she had to wait 24 hours.

I can see how LE assumes someone has run away, but a missing persons report should never be denied and should never be allowed to get lost or be thrown away.

Not sure how I feel about these two, if they were reported missing or not, if they're from the US, Canada or elsewhere.

Hopefully some progress by DDP soon!

Here’s a missing guy I’d never seen before. I can’t explain anything about this possible match other than they look very similar. And I guess the circumstances could fit...

Robert “Robbie” McDonald
View attachment 227726 View attachment 227727 View attachment 227728 View attachment 227729 View attachment 227730
Missing from Honolulu Co., Hawaii - May 1976
- 22 years old, 6’0”, 150 lbs., brown hair & hazel eyes
- per NamUs: Robert McDonald was last seen leaving his residence on May 20, 1976 in his vehicle. McDonald related to his roommate at the time that he was going to visit a friend. Rumors surfaced that McDonald was possibly murdered by two acquaintances over drugs.

Here is his Find A Grave page, has a few more details about him

I found an additional photo of Robert in an Ewa Beach, HI 1970 Campbell HS yearbook (he graduated in 1971 but ‘70 is the only book available on classmates.com) The best photo I was able to locate, is one of him and his prom date. Quite a lovely couple, IMO. His teeth look good, not sure if that’s natural or due to extensive dental work. And the photo showing more of his upper body reminds me a lot of John Doe.

JMO FWIW

I was just doing some looking at Hawaii and came across this one again, Robert McDonald. There is also Michael Cannon but I can't find much on either one. From what I understand Cannon was the heir to millions $$$ and McDonald may have been involved in drugs. That could be a possible motive. I don't know why it would have happened on the east coast but who knows. I wonder if there's DNA in these cases?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I was just doing some looking at Hawaii and came across this one again, Robert McDonald. There is also Michael Cannon but I can't find much on either one. From what I understand Cannon was the heir to millions $$$ and McDonald may have been involved in drugs. That could be a possible motive. I don't know why it would have happened on the east coast but who knows. I wonder if there's DNA in these cases?

Interesting..From 1 st link.
Robert McDonald

-

--

I'm sorry if I'm repeating or asking a question that have already been answered. There are so many threads about this!

Wikipedia says more DNA testing is underway. I'm so glad to hear that! I hope they will do a genealogy search if needed. Does anyone have further info on this?

At first glance it is surprising that neither of them have been identified. However, I've followed true crime in its various forms for over 30 years and I don't recall the case. (It's possible I've run across it.) There's been very little publicity about them. So people who have info could've easily missed this story.

On the other hand, family members would've been looking at Does.

I just ran across this case today and it's already driving me crazy.

I think Stephen Locke Packard and Linda Lee Lovell look a lot like the mystery couple -

Stephen Locke Packard – The Charley Project
Linda Lee Lovell – The Charley Project

The only big difference in description is that Stephen is described as blonde, although his photos look more like he has dark hair imo.
Packard was a much bigger guy than Jock Doe—several inches taller and much burlier. There also isn't much of a resemblance if you look at their facial features carefully. The woman doesn't close resemble Linda, either, when you focus on specific features.
-
This couple has already been compared to just about every known missing couple that has a presence online. Looking for missing couples online is an exercise in futility. I guarantee you that when these two are identified, they will turn out to be people who were never reported missing or whose reports never made it online.

This case has been driving us crazy as well. The DNA project, in my opinion, is probably the one hope at solving this. Dont understand why it is taking so long for results..on both of them!
They could be dealing with (highly) degraded material. The testing of the 1944 Hartford Circus Fire Does were stalled just recently due to the high bacterial content in the remains.

But I have to remind you all that DDP aren't known to give up that easily; they worked long and hard on Annie Doe, whose testing failed several times, the same as Corona Girl, Julie Doe, and Rebel Ray, all either solved or active cases.

I only see the Quebecois Dr. Jacques Ferron mentioned here once, as a possible father to Jock, so I don't know if this has been discussed before (sorry if it has). However, Ferron reportedly had nine children by two wives (between 1945ish to 1955ish) and I can't find a single one of his children mentioned by name anywhere online. Jock allegedly stated that his father disowned him, and Ferron was a highly respected physician and medical researcher in Quebec at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if Ferron, for whatever reason, disowned one of his children. Additionally, the names Jacques, Pierre, Johan, Jean and Jean Paul seem to be very common in the Ferron family tree. Nothing unusual, sure, most of those are very common in francophone families, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Also, was the ring ever checked for a maker's mark? Since it isn't mentioned anywhere I lean towards thinking that it didn't have any markings besides the initials. If that's the case, it has to be extremely unusual, doesn't it? Unless Jock got the ring custom made by a small and independent maker, there wouldn't be any reason for there not to be a maker's mark? Sure, it could've been filed off at some point, but why? The ring also could've been older than Jock himself, but the florentine finish wasn't really a thing before the late sixties. If there was a maker's mark, the investigators should have been able to trace it back to the shop where it was bought, or at least to whom the ring was distributed for sale. After all, it's not like it was a very common ring, even by 70's standards!

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything about it.

I only see the Quebecois Dr. Jacques Ferron mentioned here once, as a possible father to Jock, so I don't know if this has been discussed before (sorry if it has). However, Ferron reportedly had nine children by two wives (between 1945ish to 1955ish) and I can't find a single one of his children mentioned by name anywhere online. Jock allegedly stated that his father disowned him, and Ferron was a highly respected physician and medical researcher in Quebec at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if Ferron, for whatever reason, disowned one of his children. Additionally, the names Jacques, Pierre, Johan, Jean and Jean Paul seem to be very common in the Ferron family tree. Nothing unusual, sure, most of those are very common in francophone families, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Also, was the ring ever checked for a maker's mark? Since it isn't mentioned anywhere I lean towards thinking that it didn't have any markings besides the initials. If that's the case, it has to be extremely unusual, doesn't it? Unless Jock got the ring custom made by a small and independent maker, there wouldn't be any reason for there not to be a maker's mark? Sure, it could've been filed off at some point, but why? The ring also could've been older than Jock himself, but the florentine finish wasn't really a thing before the late sixties. If there was a maker's mark, the investigators should have been able to trace it back to the shop where it was bought, or at least to whom the ring was distributed for sale. After all, it's not like it was a very common ring, even by 70's standards!

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything about it.
Welcome to Ws velvetcrumbs, thanks for your informative first post!

The Ferron family sounds like a good lead and worth further pursuit. A fractured family would explain why no one was searching for him. But still, someone might have searched for his companion.

As far a the ring goes, the initials are inside the ring rather than outside. Most, but not all monogrammed jewelry has the monogram exposed. I think it is likely that the “jpf” is a makers mark, instead of the owner’s initials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member