Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he would of had time to get to the Keys but we have to remember that he had huge fires just a few miles to his west and the trail was closed 5 miles to the south of the location he was found in due to a huge fire in that direction. Mike (the last guy to see him alive) has said none of the trail cameras further south picked MH up.

I really think we have to be careful with the whole French/Cajun connection until that couple are tracked down and shown a photo of MH/D and confirm he was the hiker they met. There are over 800,000 cajuns in Louisiana that hiker could be anyone. I'm already seeing posts on other sites stating that 'MH could speak French' and when you ask where they got this information the answer is WS.

Do we know for a fact that he wrote in these notebooks? Or is it possible that they belonged to someone else. Is it considered that possibly there is no sister? I would love to identify this gentleman along with many more but I'm starting to get confused on how we will do this by solving his screeps codes and how his autopsy will help. I had mentioned in another group that possibly he is gay and that seemed to upset a lot of people. I didn't say it was a fact but is it wrong to go down that avenue and share to some groups? I'm not trying to get kicked off or deleted I just said it's possible. Other opinions would greatly be appreciated because I didn't realize people would get angry over this.

Do we know for a fact that he wrote in these notebooks? Or is it possible that they belonged to someone else. Is it considered that possibly there is no sister? I would love to identify this gentleman along with many more but I'm starting to get confused on how we will do this by solving his screeps codes and how his autopsy will help. I had mentioned in another group that possibly he is gay and that seemed to upset a lot of people. I didn't say it was a fact but is it wrong to go down that avenue and share to some groups? I'm not trying to get kicked off or deleted I just said it's possible. Other opinions would greatly be appreciated because I didn't realize people would get angry over this.

Do you have a reason to think that? Gay, straight, bi, it is all the same to me.

Just wondering why you came to the possibility. I had put thought into it, but from everything we know, there just doesn't seem to be enough evidence to support his orientation, be it straight/gay/bi from my perspective.

Hi everyone. I followed a rabbit hole with this case after someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they were looking into the Twelve Tribes angle. There is a picture of the founder and some followers on Facebook taken from the Twelve Tribes own website that is blurry but has a person that looks strikingly like MH. Would it be breaking any rules to post it if it is a publicly available image?

Hi everyone. I followed a rabbit hole with this case after someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they were looking into the Twelve Tribes angle. There is a picture of the founder and some followers on Facebook taken from the Twelve Tribes own website that is blurry but has a person that looks strikingly like MH. Would it be breaking any rules to post it if it is a publicly available image?

Thats some interesting reading for sure. I looked through pictures but no one stood out to me as a possible likeness to our MH. I'm seeing links to the disappearance of Kevin Graves though and I understand how this is a definite rabbit hole.

Here is the picture. The guy in the upper left. The file name seems to indicate it was taken in Pulaski, (TN?). I found it by looking at the communities they have up north so I was initially excited. However, I don't know if he'd be at a home in TN. I also have no idea when it was taken. Maybe someone else can find out more if they think the blurry individual could be him. The cheeks and facial hair and skin tone look so similar, but it could just be some random guy lol. Sorry if this broke a rule. This picture comes up on the first page of results for Twelve Tribes.

Attachments

• pulaski-waving.jpg
    pulaski-waving.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 240
Here is the picture. The guy in the upper left. The file name seems to indicate it was taken in Pulaski, (TN?). I found it by looking at the communities they have up north so I was initially excited. However, I don't know if he'd be at a home in TN. I also have no idea when it was taken. Maybe someone else can find out more if they think the blurry individual could be him. The cheeks and facial hair and skin tone look so similar, but it could just be some random guy lol. Sorry if this broke a rule. This picture comes up on the first page of results for Twelve Tribes.

Sorry, just not seeing any resemblance based on these photos. I honestly feel like you could have said over half of the men in this photo where the man you thought bore a resemblance. The photo is simply not very detailed.

Not really related to the picture, but there is not a single known picture or MH that shows him without some type of hat/beanie on his head. None of these men have a hat. This detail sticks out to me and I feel like it could be a major component to solving who he is.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have noticed him myself back there if not for it being pointed out by another on Facebook. I'm not sure if the hat would be significant if this was taken before his journey but perhaps! I see his face on the person and so did my husband but it is so blurry, and I couldn't find out more about the individual so I will let others judge for themselves.

I also looked into the missing person from page 18, William Paul Faries because that is honestly the closest match I've seen put forth. But there is seemingly nothing about him of note to be found on the internet. When I had his side by side with MH up on my screen, husband walked in and was like "oh, they found him?!" Something about his eyes.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have noticed him myself back there if not for it being pointed out by another on Facebook. I'm not sure if the hat would be significant if this was taken before his journey but perhaps! I see his face on the person and so did my husband but it is so blurry, and I couldn't find out more about the individual so I will let others judge for themselves.

I also looked into the missing person from page 18, William Paul Faries because that is honestly the closest match I've seen put forth. But there is seemingly nothing about him of note to be found on the internet. When I had his side by side with MH up on my screen, husband walked in and was like "oh, they found him?!" Something about his eyes.

I am unaware of any injuries to MH...did he sustain some?

EDIT: Sorry, noticed I misread this :p

Do you know when/where this picture was taken? Interestingly, I see the most resemblance to the sketch of him deceased that was released originally. His face looks thinner here, like the sketch. Maybe it was towards the end? IMO

No further info. Just pics of him. This was the only one I hadn’t seen before.

How did you get access to the notebooks?

I'll apologize in advance if I make observations previously posted here, but I wanted to attempt a clean read of the notebooks. I'm a historian and spent most of my Phd deciphering handwritten documents and have some experience with programming and software design.

Caution: this has become a long post.

I wanted to jot some things down here that struck me after reading the notebooks.
  1. I think MH has a reasonably high degree of formal education. He writes with intention, is well-organized, and rarely makes spelling/grammatical errors, even when writing a.) in small flip books b.) in pen, c.) in what I assume were less-than-pleasant writing conditions along the trails. I do not assume this formal education to be in the field of computer science or engineering, as he could be self-taught in those fields.
  2. He might be a foreign national, but based on his word choices, I'd wager he spent his formative years in the US. First, he doesn't display any hallmarks of post-adolescent ESL training. Second, he uses US spelling conventions for words like center, color, defensive, fiber, etc. I think the words "defensive" and "fiber" are most important here, as they are words that do not have a codified spelling to which programmers/coders would become accustomed. In other words, the vast majority (there are exceptions) of programming languages utilize English and adhere to US spelling conventions.
  3. He has considerable experience with multiplayer roleplaying games, either in their online form or with in-person gaming. MH is absolutely known to others, as--by their very nature--these games are multiplayer. If he only engaged in online gaming, his former gaming partners might not ever be able to recognize his face. His explanatory sections lead me to believe that he would have been more comfortable as a player rather than a game master; he's focused on worldbuilding processes (the code) rather than worldbuilding narratives (the player classes in the flip-top notebook).
  4. The ordering of his notebook suggests that he has significant experience with web application architecture and IPsec. He's building his application in layers, one of which is a dedicated BLL (business logic layer) that follows this system of construction. He's also concerned about server security and he's knowledgable about blockchain...which seems overly complicated a protocol for the server he's intending to build. I can only find one guy who has blogged about using blockchain w/ Screeps...and his purpose is wholly different.
  5. His code is written in long-form Javascript, meaning he goes the long way around in places where he could rely on more concise language. That he's doing all of this from memory and without hesitation marks (no mid-code asides indicating he'll need to look something up or return to edit) suggest he's considerably adept at this language (JS) and its underlying logic.
  6. He seems to be right-handed given how closely he begins his lettering to the left margin. His writing also is incredibly clear, which is not what I would expect from someone writing in an inward-facing/self-referential manner. For example, he's fastidious in marking his zeros with a slash so as to not confuse them with the letter "o". This leads me to believe he a.) intended to compile his code or pass it along to someone to compile, and/or b.) was incredibly meticulous in his former roles as developer/project manager.

Thoughts after examining the timeline:

• He had become highly proficient in a gaming logic/language in a.) a little over two years (~Dec. 2015 [Screeps goes public] to April 2017 [hiking begins]), b.) in six months (we lose him May 2018 to July 2018), or c.) a combination of the both. Any way you cut it, his pace is fast and his engagement frequent enough to warrant him coding from memory.
  • As such, he would absolutely have left a digital trail either through downloading a pre-compiled version of Screeps, commenting on/contributing/forking its code repository on GitHub, or showing up as a registered player in the public rankings.
  • Let's say he doesn't show up when we look at that the digital trail, what then? Well, I'd suggest we look at the negative space, or what no longer exists. As we say in history, the absence is something does not mean the non-existence of something...it can be quite the opposite! For example, if he engaged at one point online but then deleted all his accounts for forums (shows on reddit, for example, as [deleted]), he wouldn't have also been able to delete replies to his posts or comments. So can we find inactive or deleted users, or find comments made by still existing users that seem to be replying to someone? A GitHub profile like this one, who engaged quite often with the repository in early 2017, then only periodically checked in to tweak some code in later months (including a spurt in August 2017), then disappears completely.
Remaining questions about the code/notes (I'll save my longer list for another day):
  • How certain can we be that his notes were written along the trail? Could he have lived somewhere with computer access in the summer months of 2018 where we lose sight of him? Could this explain why his code is relatively free of edits/omissions?
  • How many blank pages were left in the notebook(s)? Did he tear a bunch out? Which notebook was written in first: the flip-top or the side spiral?
  • What do the fronts of the notebooks look like? Particular brand? Did he write in these same notebooks along the entire AT or pick them up in Florida? If he had different notebooks on the AT, where are those?
  • How did he keep the notebooks dry? Ziplock bag? Were they well protected and cared for (invested in the project's completion?) or were they just shoved inside his pack (distraction to keep his mind busy like a crossword)?
  • Did he pop into a public library along any of his routes in order to look up some of the dimensions/attributes necessary for this code?
  • Could the hosts of the Screeps public servers check their logs to see if anyone visited from a Florida IP during his missing months, or if a regular user disappeared in March/April 2017?

I believe @Narkj posted a link to them earlier on in these threads. I’m on mobile out of the Josue for most of the day, so perhaps another forum regular can help pinpoint that message?

My understanding was Narkj requested them from Collier County in the process of writing an article (long-form, print) about MH. My primary read came from a pdf via DropBox that Narkj also posted on a gamer forum when asking for advice deciphering the code.

please forgive me if I’ve gotten any of this wrong...only on coffee #1 out here on the West Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member