UT UT - Rachael Runyan, 3, Sunset, 26 August 1982

Would be also interesting to know if they have tested or are going to test the white lace underwear found near her body ?
I believe this case can be solved.

Responding to @Sweetsbeach, efforts are being made to extract DNA using the Bardole Method (Francine Bardole) and test it. If those efforts are successful, the next step will be genetic genealogy. (The extraction/testing and genetic genealogy will be provided by our organization's nonprofit forensic DNA lab, Intermountain Forensics, and genealogists.) This case may be solved in the coming months.

Responding to @Sweetsbeach, efforts are being made to extract DNA using the Bardole Method (Francine Bardole) and test it. If those efforts are successful, the next step will be genetic genealogy. (The extraction/testing and genetic genealogy will be provided by our organization's nonprofit forensic DNA lab, Intermountain Forensics, and genealogists.) This case may be solved in the coming months.

I hope that this is true. The new DNA results have been amazing in other cases!

Case is interesting i'd venture to call it "unique" , in that most children who are murdered at that age are usually killed by family, namely parents, guardians, or someone at least acquainted with the family .

Stranger abductions of children that age are very rare

Abduction murderers of children tend to be white males, who predominantly kill victims within their own race .

Most younger victims are also taken by force rather than by ruse, which i find it odd to see an offender needing use a con or ruse to lure someone so young.

If there had been no eyewitnesses, I would've almost certainly leaned on the parents, reminiscent of Susan Smith's story. Those close must be eliminated as suspects 1st.

A few questions if anyone has this info:

Id be interested to know the racial demographic of the area, predominantly white, mixed etc? , Id also be interested in what time of day it occurred .

Hello!
You prove a good point. The area is predominantly white. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell y0u what I know about the case. You seem like you know your facts. I've tried talking to the police but no one will listen. Police need to look into Byron Dennis Pentz. A railroad worker at the time, a serial child rapist. I've spoken to many many of his victims and they all stated that most of their abuse involved getting nearly drowned in water. One of which told me she was to the point of passing out being drowned in a bathtub when his wife at the time begged him enough to stop so they wouldn't get caught. Another was only three years old when he was nearly drowned in a toilet. He targeted young girls ages from the ages of 2-14 and even some boys but I've only had two men come forward in secrecy. Sadly, even though some of these instances where reported, they are not on his permanent record because he was best friends with the sherrif in area and then eventually ran away when thigs started catching up to him. Byron is from Morgan and get this, herded sheep through that area in trappers loop where her body was found. His family leased it at the time. I've spoken with Byrons son who states (with no prior pushing for info) that he always believed his father had something to do with it. The whole reason why I started looking into this was becuase of his son's suspicians. I don't know how to help law enforcement look into this. I know they have a suspect but I think looking into this man is worth a shot

Her body is recovered some 25 mi away I believe? , in a body of water and she was found with her hands bound behind her back If I read correctly

I believe it said she was only feet from her home with 2 other siblings?

Ill explain why later
Case is interesting i'd venture to call it "unique" , in that most children who are murdered at that age are usually killed by family, namely parents, guardians, or someone at least acquainted with the family .

Stranger abductions of children that age are very rare

Abduction murderers of children tend to be white males, who predominantly kill victims within their own race .

Most younger victims are also taken by force rather than by ruse, which i find it odd to see an offender needing use a con or ruse to lure someone so young.

If there had been no eyewitnesses, I would've almost certainly leaned on the parents, reminiscent of Susan Smith's story. Those close must be eliminated as suspects 1st.

A few questions if anyone has this info:

Id be interested to know the racial demographic of the area, predominantly white, mixed etc? , Id also be interested in what time of day it occurred .

Her body is recovered some 25 mi away I believe? , in a body of water and she was found with her hands bound behind her back If I read correctly

I believe it said she was only feet from her home with 2 other siblings?

Ill explain why later

We can rule out killers who are known to have been *overwhelmingly attracted to boys*.

The reason I asked for that information is that there are some aspects of this case (aside from the obvious) that are something to call attention to

The suspect in this case, a black male took a huge risk in a predominantly white area, was seen talking to several children prior to approaching the 3 Runyan children this was approximately 12pm I believe she was abducted shortly before 12:55 pm

That's EXTREMELY high risk for an offender.

The amount of time he spent there talking to children of a different race in a racially stout community, comfortably playing with the Runyan children and mentioning the name of the supermarket where he told the children he was taking her, indicates to me , 1 or 2 things

1) Level of commitment to the act,
and (or)
2) Familiarity and comfort with that area

or both

The mean age of the offender in most abductions that result in murder of a child is mid to late 20's to early 30's (usually around 27-28)

The offender is usually in the area of the crime for legitimate reasons, he usually lives, or works near by , or its an area he traverses with regularity.

The victim is usually chosen solely based on opportunity, that's important in this case, because he was actively talking to children in the play area, which is tantamount to to openly "hunting" for victims. Most offenders who abduct dont take that type of risk being "out in the open" if you will , they usually happen upon the victim by sheer chance, and they feel this is as good a chance, as any , the solitude of the victim usually empowers, them to act. they feel omnipotent at that moment.

But not in this case,

A black male in a white neighborhood, in broad daylight, in plain sight, with no fear of being spotted, casually talking to children sipping coffee , with no fear of being discovered, let alone accosted only feet from residential homes (don't worry this is going somewhere)

His original MO was to use ruse When his approach/ruse broke down, he resorted to force to grab a screaming victim in broad daylight , for some reason he wasn't going to let her go that was what he wanted.

Now I have a personal theory having studied maybe a thousand different case of child abduction/murder, so take this with a grain of salt, again its just MY findings, in cases of stranger abduction which are almost always bad to begin with, any time a child is physically grabbed and removed by an offender, its almost certain they are going to wind up deceased, there are exceptions, but the physical aspect of it often seems to indicate a predetermined violent outcome by the offender, just personal experience.

Her body is discovered some 25 miles, away nude, bound and face down in a body of water, cause of death is unable to be determined due to her state of decomposition, sexual assault likely.

The overwhelming motive in Child abduction homicides is sexual .

The murder site and body recovery site in these cases, tend to be within a 200 foot radius of each other, child victims are most often killed very near where they are found in many cases, the scenes are the same.

The time between the actual abduction and when the victim is killed is usually within 3 hours, within 24 hours, its almost 100% certain they are dead.

Now here's the really bad part (as if this case wasn't horrible enough) of all offender types , those who abduct and murder children for sexual purposes, have the HIGHEST rate of re-offending multiple times, in other words, these types have the highest propensity if not apprehended to become serial killers .

And here's where it gets even worse, binding is often found in cases of murdered children, especially if the child is older, and the offender needs to control the victim, however in cases, where the victim is younger, binding becomes, less about control and more about the sexual deviant fantasies of the offender . In this case, we essentially have a toddler, whom the offender felt the need to bind .

In a study done by the state of Washington in 2006, that offenders who bind child victims have something like an 80% chance, of having offended before and almost certainly after, so in cases, where you see a child bound, especially very young victim bound that's a good indicator of a possible serial killer at work.

When you look at the risk taken by this individual, the cool calm approach in an area where it would be easily able to discern a black male suspect, who when his ruse broke down, resorts to outright violence to abduct and kill a toddler , then tells her brothers he's taking her somewhere local indicating having spent time around that area this tells me you are dealing with someone who was actively out looking for a victim

This wasn't your typical abduction where a sexual deviant comes across a lone child with no-one around and springs, this is a predatory action taken with the sole idea of acquiring a victim to subject them to their deviant violent sexual fantasies

In most cases of child abduction homicide, the victims body is hidden even rudimentarily to avoid detection as long as possible , in this case, the victim was simply discarded, though an argument could be made she was placed in water, since she was not weighed down to hide her body its more likely she was put in the water in the hopes that the water would destroy evidence or drowning may have been a means of killing the victim. Which would even tell us more about the offender.

This wasn't your impulsive sociopath type, this was more personal , more psychopathic in that he was out looking for victims ,

Once the act was done , she was discarded, she served her purpose for the offender.

Knowing a cause of death would help, but in any case, id have a hard time believing this was his first murder, or his last, unless he was dead , incarcerated or incapacitated .

This individual also brought bindings with him to subdue the victim furthering the notion that the bondage/control aspect of his psyche was more about sexual need than merely a means to control a victim.

The MO in these types of cases, tend to vary very little , therefore its imperative to look for similar cases, where a black male approached a victim who was abducted or suspected to have been abducted and murdered, primarily if there are any similarities in the bindings, (type of material, type of knots used, any subsequent findings or behavioral ques in the binding itself)

Last edited:
A lot of circumstantial evidence points to Hill Air Force Base, as potentially being critical to the case.

The base is literally the opposite side of I-15 from the town of Sunset.

This potentially significant to Rachael's case in several respects:

- the African-American population of Davis County is barely 1%, however within the US Air Force, African-Americans account for around 15% of active personnel. If the eyewitness descriptions of the suspect as an African-American male are correct, this may point towards the AFB.

- the use of parachute cord as a binding would also seem to point in this direction.

- AFBs aren't just served by military staff, there would be a huge volume of civilian staff and contractors, some working in short term capacities on site as well.

My initial thought was that the playground was tucked away sufficiently that only someone with significant local knowledge would have happened upon the children playing there, however, having looked on street view, the playground is directly visible from the northbound lane of I-15, and hence could have been spotted by anyone travelling the road.

Crime had spilled from the base previously and affected local communities - the notorious 1974 Hi-Fi murders in nearby Ogden were commited by serving airmen from the base. 6 men were involved the brutal triple killing, 3 of whom were airmen from the base; the other 3 having never been identified.

A lot of circumstantial evidence points to Hill Air Force Base, as potentially being critical to the case.

The base is literally the opposite side of I-15 from the town of Sunset.

This potentially significant to Rachael's case in several respects:

- the African-American population of Davis County is barely 1%, however within the US Air Force, African-Americans account for around 15% of active personnel. If the eyewitness descriptions of the suspect as an African-American male are correct, this may point towards the AFB.

RSBM - listen to the video. They no longer believe he was African-American. The child giving the description never liked the sketch. The PI does have a possible suspect based on this new sketch. A sexual predator that even lived in the area and may have driven the same car that was described.

I am watching with interest to see if this goes anywhere!

Rachael Runyan Private Investigation

RSBM - listen to the video. They no longer believe he was African-American. The child giving the description never liked the sketch. The PI does have a possible suspect based on this new sketch. A sexual predator that even lived in the area and may have driven the same car that was described.

I am watching with interest to see if this goes anywhere!

Rachael Runyan Private Investigation
I thought that the suspect was black, as described by the witness.

I chose to say 'black', not 'African-American' as there is a chance, however small, that the perpetrator came from outside of the United States.

I thought that the suspect was black, as described by the witness.

I chose to say 'black', not 'African-American' as there is a chance, however small, that the perpetrator came from outside of the United States.

The witness was her brother. As he grew up, he realized that he may have been mistaken. He said he never did like the sketch that was drawn. As an adult, he said the person was likely darker skin, but possibly hispanic, not black. That was the newest information that the investigator is working with and he said has provided a new "promising" lead.

A white male would fit the bill for this type of predator much better than a black male, a black male in a predominately white area, and vice versa (for ex the Atlanta Child murders) would be taking a huge risk to be identified , however the behavioral aspects would still be the same

Binding is a huge tip off when used against a young or very weak victim.

Though binding is used most often by child abduction murderers, its usually found with older victims, because they are stronger etc..

With small child victims, its found less, however, when it is ... Its almost always a part of a series, the binding of a toddler is not about the need to physically control the victim, its more about the bondage fantasies of the offender

Therefore when you have a very young murder victim that is bound, you have a very high likelihood you are dealing with a serial killer .

A white male would fit the bill for this type of predator much better than a black male, a black male in a predominately white area, and vice versa (for ex the Atlanta Child murders) would be taking a huge risk to be identified , however the behavioral aspects would still be the same

Binding is a huge tip off when used against a young or very weak victim.

Though binding is used most often by child abduction murderers, its usually found with older victims, because they are stronger etc..

With small child victims, its found less, however, when it is ... Its almost always a part of a series, the binding of a toddler is not about the need to physically control the victim, its more about the bondage fantasies of the offender

Therefore when you have a very young murder victim that is bound, you have a very high likelihood you are dealing with a serial killer .
Sometimes I come across people and I cannot tell if they have ethnic ancestry or simply a very good tan. It becomes very awkward when I try to ask them what race they are.

In this case, if the perpetrator is not black, they could be tanned, mixed-race or Hispanic/Native American. This simply makes the whole thing more confusing.

Is there any DNA available? If so, it might help to solve this whole mess.

If you are interested in trying to crowd-solve this case with like-minded sleuths, we'd love you to join us this coming Tuesday June 28 at 9PM Eastern.
In Episode 2, we explore the tragic 1982 abduction and murder of 3 year-old Rachael Runyan in Sunset, Utah.
You will be able to ask questions in chat, share theories, call in to leave voice mails, etc
Leave us a voice mail at- https://www.speakpipe.com/citizendetective
Where do you tune in to take part, or watch?
Our Facebook homepage:
https://www.facebook.com/CitizenDetectivePodcast
Our Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
Our Twitch page:
https://www.twitch.tv/citizendetective
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

The Citizen Detective team is looking forward to teaming up with you to explore an all new case

Sometimes I come across people and I cannot tell if they have ethnic ancestry or simply a very good tan. It becomes very awkward when I try to ask them what race they are.

In this case, if the perpetrator is not black, they could be tanned, mixed-race or Hispanic/Native American. This simply makes the whole thing more confusing.

Is there any DNA available? If so, it might help to solve this whole mess.
I don't know whether there is DNA, but I can tell you behaviorally when an offender strikes in a predominantly racial denominated area opposite their own race, they are generally at higher risk of being noticed.

If you are interested in trying to crowd-solve this case with like-minded sleuths, we'd love you to join us this coming Tuesday June 28 at 9PM Eastern.
In Episode 2, we explore the tragic 1982 abduction and murder of 3 year-old Rachael Runyan in Sunset, Utah.
You will be able to ask questions in chat, share theories, call in to leave voice mails, etc
Leave us a voice mail at- https://www.speakpipe.com/citizendetective
Where do you tune in to take part, or watch?
Our Facebook homepage:
https://www.facebook.com/CitizenDetectivePodcast
Our Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
Our Twitch page:
https://www.twitch.tv/citizendetective
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

The Citizen Detective team is looking forward to teaming up with you to explore an all new case
I'll have to defamiliarise myself with this tragic case.

Thank You for putting this together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back