Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

In the initial interview, at the very least, he would have been trying to "sell" his innocence.
He no doubt fully expected his version of events to be readily accepted and for LE's investigation to have proceeded as if she had indeed gone for a bike ride that day while he was hours away in Denver.
"No questions asked."

Only, turns out, LE must have had a few tough questions for him, after all.

Once LE signaled that they weren't biting on the staged bike/mountain lion/abduction storylines, he began taking a much more combative position with LE, as evidenced by the following:
  • Posts made by his "spokesperson," TN, on the Find SM page demanding that people "Ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike!"
  • That disastrous video with TD where BM himself accused LE of screwing everything up, not telling him anything, "10 people touched the bike," etc.
I have no doubt that BM has adopted a pugilistic stance with LE at this point.

I imagine he's told them things along the lines of, "Hey, look, you guys aren't telling me anything, so why should I tell you anything?"

The fact that that isn't how investigations work, notwithstanding.

JMO.

We also can't forget that TN announced the reward by the "the husband" within one day of the Sheriff's initial presser -- which BM did not attend. Why and why not take advantage of this opportunity to announce the reward for information leading to SM's safe return?

At the time of nephew TN's introduction, the announcement of reward, GET, and subsequent match to the reward (May 13, 14) it was obviously agreed in advance with media that TN would be audio-only interviews by phone, and BM would only be identified as "the husband."

His wife was missing, possibly abducted or victim of mountain lion attack and BM did not want to be publicly identified. I've never heard of such a thing.

Finally, BM debut via fb video on 5/17, and there's been no official update from the family (via missing page) since.

Yup, I think BM took a stand within 24 hours and it was not with LE.

MOO

Purely hypothetical question regarding the original FF training in Denver. Could it be as simplistic as BM said he was in Denver for FF training and then had to pivot when LE told him it had been cancelled?
Good point! I’m remembering a few mentions early on about a FF calendar shoot in Denver that weekend as well, seems plausible for BM

In the news conference of May 15, 2020 at 5:44 of the video:
"The question is if there's clues if we recovered the bike..............once again I can't comment on any items we found or any part of the investigation."

The original reporter's question, which is partially inaudible, appeared to be "Did you find any clues that would be helpful on her bike that you found?
Sheriff Spezze's answer cannot possibly be interpreted as "No..........we didn't find her bike."
It has to be interpreted as "I can't disclose what we found on her bike, that is part of our investigation."
I'm expecting you will disagree, but that is the nature of a forum discussion, not a TOS violation. IMO

I'll add to that TD's video where BM is talking about bike. He talks about its location, its position, and his thoughts about how LE (mis)handled it. It doesn't make sense that he'd be talking about LE finding his wife's bike, if they hadn't found it.

Or you could just watch what is going on.

If you think they didn’t follow the abduction playbook, dug up a property that BM worked on, sealed the house, and searched it using crime scene investigators, and that means nothing, then fair enough.

They were looking at Letecia. We knew that. They were looking at Patrick Frazee. We knew that. They are looking at Barry. I know that. I don’t think I’m the only one.
I agree that the investigators are looking at Barry Morphew. My contention, though, is that that fact alone is insufficient for me to think that he did anything to Suzanne. In this case, that's all we have because the search warrant probable cause affidavits (PCAs) are sealed. PCAs
are made under penalty of perjury, so -- if & when we get to see their content -- then at least we'll have an idea as to the bases for investigators' seeming focus on Barry. After reading the PCAs, I may think that there's a good reason for police to suspect Barry. Then again, maybe the PCAs will make me think that investigators are off their collective rocker.

Reporter clearly asks if the bike was found. He said he’s interested in the clues but there were conflicting reports and can you tell us if the bike was found. Then sheriff S says he can’t comment on anything they found or on any part of the investigation. Never does the reporter say police found the bike and the sheriff won’t comment.
Edited to add...Its my personal opinion that the bike has absolutely nothing to do with this case. I strongly believe it’s the red herring in this investigation.
BBM
I understand what you’re trying to say, but at the same time I must disagree. It may be a “red herring” but it does have A LOT to do with this case. If staged, which I believe it was, it was an attempt to misdirect investigators and further the false narrative that SM went on a bike ride on MD when in all likelihood she was already dead. More than a red herring that’s a HUGE bright red flag. JMHO.
ed:sp

Last edited:
I agree that the investigators are looking at Barry Morphew. My contention, though, is that that fact alone is insufficient for me to think that he did anything to Suzanne. In this case, that's all we have because the search warrant probable cause affidavits (PCAs) are sealed. PCAs
are made under penalty of perjury, so -- if & when we get to see their content -- then at least we'll have an idea as to the bases for investigators' seeming focus on Barry. After reading the PCAs, I may think that there's a good reason for police to suspect Barry. Then again, maybe the PCAs will make me think that investigators are off their collective rocker.

I'm curious, in your experience, how often are investigators all looking in the same direction, and it turns out all of them were wrong?
Really curious how often that happens anymore, with so much digital evidence now.

This LE, historically speaking, has shown themselves to be anything but off their collective rocker. Sure, some of the CBI and FBI staff could change year to year, but their track record in investigating Colorado murders and helping to put away criminals has been rock solid over the last few years.

It’s possible that they’ve suddenly become incompetent and unreliable, but it’s doubtful.

IMO

I'll add to that TD's video where BM is talking about bike. He talks about its location, its position, and his thoughts about how LE (mis)handled it. It doesn't make sense that he'd be talking about LE finding his wife's bike, if they hadn't found it.

Let's be clear here: we all understand that WS is a facts-based forum and the comment in question, stated as fact was "LE has only acknowledged that they found the bike" which is blatantly untrue.

Not on their own or when specifically asked has LE confirmed they located the bike, the condition of the bike, or even whether SM was seen riding a bike. Nada.

Would it make sense that just because BM also floated his theory that SM was possibly attacked by a mountain lion to insist that LE said SM was attacked by an animal? It's not true.

Sorry, BM doesn't speak for LE no matter how badly the facts get twisted. MOO

Last edited:

I’m not looking at convicting the guy. I’m just looking at what is overwhelmingly likely.

If you think a low risk victim was abducted from a low crime area, during a perfect time period, and law enforcement committed an epic screw up, fine.

Maybe it’s a coincidence that the husband didn’t give a flying .

Maybe the FBI and CBI suddenly forgot how to investigate cases.

Maybe not though.

Last edited:
I’m not looking at convicting the guy. I’m just looking at what is overwhelmingly likely.

If you think a low risk victim was abducted from a low crime area, during a perfect time period, and law enforcement committed an epic screw up, fine.

Maybe it’s a coincidence that the husband didn’t give a flying ****.

Maybe the FBI and CBK suddenly forgot how to investigate cases.

Maybe not though.

Don't worry, MassGuy. It’s defense posturing. 12 future jurors see it just like you do, through the eyes of a prosecutor.

Premeditation can be formed in a matter of seconds. An example of that is strangulation. It takes up to 4 minutes to strangle someone to death. The perp knows if he continues to cut off the airway of the victim, that victim will die. If he continues to do so, he has intent to kill and thus has met the premeditation burden for first degree homicide.

I think what folks are thinking is "pre-planning" the crime.

Really?! So if they got into an argument and it got physical and he choked her to death in a fit of rage it is still considered premeditated? I did not understand what crime of passion meant then. What if he got angry, shoved her and she hit her head and died?..it only takes a second to shove someone so that would not be premeditated?? If he got angry and pulled out a gun and shot her that takes seconds to minutes to do so that would be premeditated. If he held her head under the water in the tub that would definitely be premeditated then...and especially cruel and heinous. Confusing but I think I understand. So if he planned it way in advance or “pre-planned” to kill her does that goes into the degree in the charges such as 1st degree? What is the difference in 2nd degree and manslaughter? TIA!

BBM:

Well, a judge read the PCAs and signed off on the warrants, so the judge obviously doesn't think LE's off their collective rocker.

Last edited:
This LE, historically speaking, has shown themselves to be anything but off their collective rocker. Sure, some of the CBI and FBI staff could change year to year, but their track record in investigating Colorado murders and helping to put away criminals has been rock solid over the last few years.

It’s possible that they’ve suddenly become incompetent and unreliable, but it’s doubtful.

IMO
IMO, they are very competent, and have proven that. However, I interpret their actions differently. They apparently did change direction rapidly from SAR, and began a criminal investigation. I interpret this urgency to be an indication, this WAS an abduction. Yes, they seemed to focus on BM, but he needed to be ruled out as a coconspirator.
Our focus, may have been on BM, but investigators, are trained to avoid tunnel vision.
IMO it takes just as much time and effort to clear an innocent man, as it does to charge him w/ a crime.
We focused only on BM, far too quickly. That is the tunnel vision investigators can not allow.
We started w/4, then it did narrow down.
However, if investigators narrowed down that quickly to one possibility, that would have been a red flag, indeed. BM could always have been framed.
the abduction theory is much more difficult to track down. We do have evidence this theory HAS been pursued, especially from the timing of certain events. Abduction even explains why certain steps were or were not taken.
I am confident this was a big consideration from the beginning and Ultimately, that is where we will find SM.
We have gone back and forth over some of the puzzle pieces that don’t seem to fit?
IMO, we put a few in the wrong place to begin with. The only way to finish this puzzle is to take some pieces out and start over.
I suppose it is even possible the abduction suspect could have been a worker on the basement foundation. I’ll set piece aside for now.

I view it as a premeditated hit by BM with a lot of subdued passion as driving force. SM final resting place was maybe prepared several months before she disappeared. BM had means and opportunity to bury a 55 gal. drum upright 2ft below ground level on some remote property he had access to. When the time came to "bury" SM it was lose dirt. Could of even had a bush or small tree already planted above. If it had been entirely a thing of in the moment of passion then all the things after the act itself would need to be taken care of with too much room for error. Pure speculation and MOO.
Woah...I never thought of that!! That’s such a good idea for hiding a body in that area...did you think of that or see it in a show or movie? A bush or tree on top! Dog prob can’t smell either due to being inside the tin drum. Evil genius but let’s hope BM didn’t actually do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member