GUILTY WA - Remains in bags, Alki Beach, Seattle, Jun 2020 - Jessica Lewis & Austin "Cash" Wenner *arrest*

I have one big problem with this case and it's the two suitcases.

The night before we read about the bags being found in this case I watched a show on Forensic Files II entitled "Human Sawdust". Unfortunately this episode doesn't appear on YouTube. Melanie Maguire murdered her husband Bill by shooting him in the head and torso and then dismembered his body and disposed of it in Chesapeake Bay.

A family was out boating and saw a suitcase (similar in appearance and size to the one found on the beach in this case) floating in the water. They fished it out thinking that it was buried treasure. When they opened it they found it contained a large black plastic bag, the same as in this case, with 2 human legs.

Days later, a second suitcase washed up onto the shore. It also contained black trash bags similar to those in the first suitcase and contained the torso, arms and head.

Days later a third suitcase was found floating in the water and it too had black plastic bags which contained the remainder of the body (? hips and thighs).

The gas from the decomposing body parts had caused the two bags in the water to float to the surface.

Here's the problem. There were three suitcases and one body, but in this case there are only two suitcases and two bodies. Unless the second suitcase was huge, I can't imagine how this is possible, unless of course they hadn't yet discovered all the parts but still had enough to identify the two victims.

Dismemberment is very rare, somewhere between 1-2%. The most common reason is "Defensive: where the motive is to assist in hiding or moving the body, or getting rid of evidence, or making identification of the victim more difficult.

As for motive, it's impossible to say at this point, but as they weren't living together, they were obviously targeted. He had a wonderful girlfriend and after having his child, seemed hugely happy with his life.

Yes, the neat packaging. What kind of paper wrapping did they use? Freezer or butcher wrapping? They didn't look bloody. Looked like small packages. Like they took them time to do it.

In the post above where I was describing the Bill Maguire case, the blood had been drained from the body before it was dismembered. Apparently this is usually done in the home where the murder occurs.

Not an expert, but killers usually use this method of disposal to delay discovery of the victims and prevent others or LE from figuring out where they were killed.

Something about the murder scene links the victims to the killer, so I'm guessing the killer is someone who lived with or near the victims or was a frequent visitor to their home or workplace. Conversely, the crime scene may also have been a place of business or residence the victims visited frequently. They may also have been lured there by the killer. It may have been a place that LE is likely to visit when interviewing family or acquaintances of the victims.

The murder was somewhat planned and the killer has since made efforts to clean up the crime scene. It's a place where other people live or visit regularly. May have been more than 1 person involved as it might have taken 2 people to do all the work. Not certain of that, though. But, JMO, this happened in someone's residence or place of business where other people are nearby.

ETA: Due to the time consuming dismemberment, etc. of the victims. The crime scene was probably a place where the killer was comfortable doing that gruesome task. Other people probably have suspicions about who the killer is.

JMO

Not an expert, but killers usually use this method of disposal to delay discovery of the victims and prevent others or LE from figuring out where they were killed.

Something about the murder scene links the victims to the killer, so I'm guessing the killer is someone who lived with or near the victims or was a frequent visitor to their home or workplace. Conversely, the crime scene may also have been a place of business or residence the victims visited frequently. They may also have been lured there by the killer. It may have been a place that LE is likely to visit when interviewing family or acquaintances of the victims.

The murder was somewhat planned and the killer has since made efforts to clean up the crime scene. It's a place where other people live or visit regularly. May have been more than 1 person involved as it might have taken 2 people to do all the work. Not certain of that, though. But, JMO, this happened in someone's residence or place of business where other people are nearby.

ETA: Due to the time consuming dismemberment, etc. of the victims. The crime scene was probably a place where the killer was comfortable doing that gruesome task. Other people probably have suspicions about who the killer is.

JMO

I think it is West Seattle. It has been more or less detached from the rest of the city now, what with COVID and West Seattle bridge being under construction. It used to be an interesting place. We went to one of its best restaurants, a truly popular place. And each time I’d be surprised with the abandoned areas around it. And all West Seattle is like it, cluttered neighborhoods, long streets and wasteland around.

I think it is West Seattle. It has been more or less detached from the rest of the city now, what with COVID and West Seattle bridge being under construction. It used to be an interesting place. We went to one of its best restaurants, a truly popular place. And each time I’d be surprised with the abandoned areas around it. And all West Seattle is like it, cluttered neighborhoods, long streets and wasteland around.
Being from West Seattle, I have a completely different take on our neighborhood than you, yet the conditions of WS are irrelevant to this case. I saw mention in a social media post of victim's connection to a neighborhood called White Center-- about 10 miles away. Alki - the discovery point - is unique in that it has a boat launch and a pier (to throw things from?). This contrasts to the waterfront only areas near White Center. I'm with Judge Judi above - there have to be more parts not yet found.

As for motive, it's impossible to say at this point, but as they weren't living together, they were obviously targeted. He had a wonderful girlfriend and after having his child, seemed hugely happy with his life.

RSBM - Hi, I'm in the UK, a lot of news articles I click on won't allow me to view as I'm outside America.

How do you know this info please?, that Austin had 'a wonderful girlfriend etc'

Yes, the neat packaging. What kind of paper wrapping did they use? Freezer or butcher wrapping? They didn't look bloody. Looked like small packages. Like they took them time to do it.
Now that detail, if you've seen something like this in the media, does not make me think angry revenge killing in a love triangle where they just want to dispose of a body quickly and not get caught. Taking great care to wrap body parts is not something I'd expect from a crime of passion situation.

Just look at the situation at Fort Hood. This Robinson suspect is alleged to have bludgeoned Guillen and then convinced his adulterous GF to join him in hacking up the body and burning it and then trying to hide it in the field with concrete (if those details are all correct). Those two were trying to hide evidence. You would not catch those two painstakingly packing a suitcase of parts.

I remember the TikTok video from this case and how the grey plastic bag was, indeed, very neatly packed into the case. Whoever did it seems to have not gone out of their way to disrupt identification, so they weren't necessarily trying to "hide."

And I also continue to wonder about the size of the suitcases and the two bodies identified from the parts. The size of that suitcase did not seem large enough to hold one whole person.

Last edited:
Now that detail, if you've seen something like this in the media, does not make me think angry revenge killing in a love triangle where they just want to dispose of a body quickly and not get caught. Taking great care to wrap body parts is not something I'd expect from a crime of passion situation.

Just look at the situation at Fort Hood. This Robinson suspect is alleged to have bludgeoned Guillen and then convinced his adulterous GF to join him in hacking up the body and burning it and then trying to hide it in the field with concrete (if those details are all correct). Those two were trying to hide evidence. You would not catch those two painstakingly packing a suitcase of parts.

I remember the TikTok video from this case and how the grey plastic bag was, indeed, very neatly packed into the case. Whoever did it seems to have not gone out of their way to disrupt identification, so they weren't necessarily trying to "hide."

And I also continue to wonder about the size of the suitcases and the two bodies identified from the parts. The size of that suitcase did not seem large enough to hold one whole person.
Unless the murderer was a meat packing employee, a butcher shop employee or had access to those type facilities. I don't think the suitcases were big enough for one body each either. I think they need to put more divers in the water. If they can find evidence on camera of anything, there should be more remains. Altho, it's possible not all the remains were put in water. Perhaps some were burned or buried.

Unless the murderer was a meat packing employee, a butcher shop employee or had access to those type facilities. I don't think the suitcases were big enough for one body each either. I think they need to put more divers in the water. If they can find evidence on camera of anything, there should be more remains. Altho, it's possible not all the remains were put in water. Perhaps some were burned or buried.
Eeeeek. I feel like I know where you were going with that. I'm getting a Sweeney Todd image there.

I'm still stuck on the water/suitcase/location issue. So murderers dispose of bodies in water to get rid of evidence. I'm thinking of Atlanta Child Killer there. Fibers and evidence were found on bodies in the forest and he changed his MO to dump in water to remove evidence. Then I'm thinking of LISK and how that one dismembered and spread the remains in different locations that seemed remote. That one was trying to use disposal methods to reduce not just ID of killer but ID of victim, too.

But our suitcase boy here tosses tightly wrapped remains in bags in suitcases into water right by Pike Place Market? Not remote, the remains do not have evidence washed away by currents, they're too tightly rapped, and the victims were identified within days? I can't tell if this killer is very organized or very stupid.

I'm getting a serial killer vibe here. The dismemberment and packing of the bodies, in my opinion, implies definite experience. If they were indeed homeless, maybe they were lured by food or day labor or something of that nature. I just can't see this being a drug hit or drug deal gone wrong.

I'm getting a serial killer vibe here. The dismemberment and packing of the bodies, in my opinion, implies definite experience. If they were indeed homeless, maybe they were lured by food or day labor or something of that nature. I just can't see this being a drug hit or drug deal gone wrong.
How many serial killers have you read about who carefully pack (rather than abandon) and then dispose of (rather than keeping) remains? Especially with what I would consider one of the less “intimate” killing methods (firearm)? I can recall some who impulsively shoot victims and abandon the remains, and some who more intimately kill and then show concern for the remains (and usually just to either conceal them in some kind of container or store them to keep) - but not usually both criteria, with serial killers. To me, firearm implies impulsive more than planned, while carefully packaging and disposing implies thought and concern. That leads me to assume someone who knows one of them (likely the female victim, who had more wounds) killed them - whether due to domestic violence, robbery, or roommate squabble - and knew they were close enough to one or both people to be considered a suspect, then deciding to take the time to conceal the crime and dispose of the evidence. The remains may have been carefully packed in an effort to prevent obvious smell of decomp or leaking fluids while the person(s) responsible tried to determine where and when they would be able to dispose of their remains. I think that the specificity of the date of death and the swift identification, along with the lackluster statement to contact police with information but no formal pleas for witnesses, (in my opinion) means LE may already be building a case against an obvious suspect.

Last edited:

Yes, something like SK.

Strangely, the case of animal dismemberment comes to my mind. Those mutilated cats in Olympia. I don’t know the details but were I LE, I’d check if the pattern of dismemberment matches those animals.

Also, there is something about the nature of the killer. I swear tight, neat wrapping bespeaks environmentally concerned person to me, strange as it may sound.

I keep going back to the game the young people were playing that drew them to that location. Does everyone playing get the same coordinates? Or, does the group use just one phone to play? Could someone familiar with the game have deliberately planted the suitcase based on known coordinates? Apparently no other location has been found to have body parts or it would have been newsworthy.

The packaging is just odd for body parts. Maybe fingers in one, ears in another, maybe teeth, maybe body organs (heart, liver) in others? Maybe a medical student dissecting a body? Would a woman more likely wrap carefully?

I keep going back to the game the young people were playing that drew them to that location. Does everyone playing get the same coordinates? Or, does the group use just one phone to play? Could someone familiar with the game have deliberately planted the suitcase based on known coordinates? Apparently no other location has been found to have body parts or it would have been newsworthy.

The packaging is just odd for body parts. Maybe fingers in one, ears in another, maybe teeth, maybe body organs (heart, liver) in others? Maybe a medical student dissecting a body? Would a woman more likely wrap carefully?
I’m thinking an experienced hunter would have equipment and skill. Maybe a farming operation that butchers it’s own animals for personal use. I grew up with a family that did their own beef, pork and chicken on their farm. They had a few sheds with equipment.

Did I miss an article or document describing the remains as being wrapped up like butchered meat, somewhere? The images simply represent the remains as being secured in a relatively clean black trash bag and efficiently filling a pristine travel luggage bag... I did not see anything that would indicate that the person responsible must have any kind of professional or trade experience in packaging and / or dismemberment.

Last edited:
Family of couple found murdered at Alki Beach speak out
“I don’t want them to be remembered for the brutality, I don’t want them to be remembered in any violent way. I want them to be remembered for their humanity and their kindness,“ she said.

Jaschke said the pair lived together in Seatac and that Jessica had been working for her grandmother, helping to care for developmentally disabled adults. Jessica was also a mother with four children.

“They had their struggles like we all do, and that’s just shows how much they cared about each other. They didn’t leave or anything when things got rough, they always stuck it out together through the ups and downs,” Jaschke said.

Jaschke said she has no idea why anyone would do this to the longtime couple. It’s an unimaginable scenario that’s left them with so many questions. They said they won’t give up until they have answers.''

https://www.westsideseattle.com/hig...tim-seeking-answers--page-seeking-raise-10000

''Jessica Lewis and Austin "Cash" Wenner have been identifed as the murder victims whose remains washed up on the beach near Duwamish Head in West Seattle June 19. The remains were wrapped in plastic and stuffed in suitcases. Forensic examination determined they had both been shot''
rbbm.
“Somebody knows something.” Family of murdered couple found in suitcase asking for answers, justice
''FBI profilers told KIRO-7 whoever put the remains in bags could have been attempting to make a statement.

"If they're trying to send a message, what are they saying? That they're animals? That's the only message that you've gotten out to anybody!"

"What I can do is keep this alive in everybody's mind," she said. "Somebody knows something. Somebody saw something, they might be scared to say anything. You know what? The smart one of the bunch is going to go and turn themselves in. Because no jury is going to have any sympathy for any of them."

The only suitcase I saw on video originally being opened by the young person was neatly packed with small neatly tied (flat looking) packages with something that looked like butcher or freezer paper. Their live video didn't not show any other suitcases or bags.

Now I see on DM article they are showing a suitcase being opened by a young person that had a black trash bag stuffed in it.

Are there two/three different locations on the beach where suitcases and bags of body parts were found? I must have missed a link somewhere.

This is the side by side photo on Austin's fb page posted December 19, 2015. His relationship status is currently set as "single" with no link to her page. Her FB has "in a relationship" with no link to his page. I am assuming its to each other but...
Austin Wenner is with Jessica Lewis.
December 19, 2015 ·

Curious her page has no photos of her four children?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back