CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

This case is local for me. I just want to thank everyone who has posted to try to help find him. His family is absolutely devastated and doing a lot of work to try to locate him.

I can’t even imagine the family’s devastation. Maybe frustration too. It’s as if they’ve been blocked from moving forward, finding answers or eliminating possibilities. The arrival of a long and snowy winter at the remote, high elevation where his truck was found probably prevented a thorough ground or lake search being undertaken at that time. Then comes COVID-19, search organizations are strapped for funds in addition to the complexity of maintaining social distancing during a search, maximum group gatherings plus recommendations for no out-of-the-province travel and lack of hotels and restaurants willing to host or open to accommodate searchers. Obstacles, every step of the way, I really feel for them.

88073976_10163031460550117_5053478814194073600_o.jpg

Paige Bri
May 24 at 7:30 AM
As Marshals family we would like to update everyone on the status of the case. On Thursday May 21 we were informed by LPS that BC RCMP had confirmed they would be continuing their search for Marshal at the truck site the following day. On Friday May 22 they went to the site and searched the area using cadaver dogs. We were informed by LPS Friday evening that the search had been completed, nothing was found, and that the RCMP had searched extensively and were now done their se...arch.

We are disappointed that after waiting many months for the snow to melt so that the search could continue, it was finished in just one day. However it is not a complete surprise that Marshal was not found at the scene as we have never received any evidence that he was ever there.

With how the truck was found I dont understand why his disappearance is still not considered suspicious. Especially since there are key items of Marshals that have still never been located (his most recent cell phone, laptop, and wallet).

What scares me the most is that my little brothers body will need to be found before his disappearance will be treated as suspicious. Now that another search has taken place and Marshal was again not located I strongly hope that the case will be treated as suspicious. This designation would allow both LPS and us the ability to gain important information pertaining to Marshal and his disappearance.

This update comes at the 6 month anniversary of Marshals disappearance. I am so sad that we don’t have better news.

Paige Bri
Yesterday at 2:14 PM
Global News update with interview a couple nights ago. One minor clarification from the interview. We hired a PI team back in February/ March 2020 to work on this investigation while we waited for the final search. They are still continuing to work on this to help us find answers related to Marshals disappearance.

Paige Bri
May 24 at 7:30 AM
As Marshals family we would like to update everyone on the status of the case. On Thursday May 21 we were informed by LPS that BC RCMP had confirmed they would be continuing their search for Marshal at the truck site the following day. On Friday May 22 they went to the site and searched the area using cadaver dogs. We were informed by LPS Friday evening that the search had been completed, nothing was found, and that the RCMP had searched extensively and were now done their se...arch.

We are disappointed that after waiting many months for the snow to melt so that the search could continue, it was finished in just one day. However it is not a complete surprise that Marshal was not found at the scene as we have never received any evidence that he was ever there.

With how the truck was found I dont understand why his disappearance is still not considered suspicious. Especially since there are key items of Marshals that have still never been located (his most recent cell phone, laptop, and wallet).

What scares me the most is that my little brothers body will need to be found before his disappearance will be treated as suspicious. Now that another search has taken place and Marshal was again not located I strongly hope that the case will be treated as suspicious. This designation would allow both LPS and us the ability to gain important information pertaining to Marshal and his disappearance.

This update comes at the 6 month anniversary of Marshals disappearance. I am so sad that we don’t have better news.

praying for your family to get some answers. It’s absolutely ludicrous that it’s not being listed as suspicious.

I just listened to the Vanished podcast about Marshal this morning and it was so upsetting, devastating really to listen to his sister and mother talk about this case. The burnt out truck should IMMEDIATELY mark this case as suspicious, I am at a total loss as to what the PD is thinking regarding Marshal. This case is as suspicious as they come. I wish Marshal would come home safe, but a burning truck is so scary.

Also just wanted to bring back this interesting statement from the very first page of this thread:
Officers also recovered personal documents, cell phones that had been destroyed, a laptop that was also destroyed, a path of clothes that were partially burned “as if that person may have caught on fire when the vehicle was burning.”

New statement posted from Lethbridge police on Facebook

Lethbridge Police Service

Marshal Iwaasa investigation ongoing; plans being finalized for exhaustive search
“Lethbridge Police continue to investigate the disappearance of a 26-year-old Calgary man and are working with B.C. RCMP to plan an exhaustive search of the remote and mountainous area where his burned out vehicle was found last November.

Search efforts were suspended over the winter months but as a result of the ongoing snow melt, a preliminary search was initially conducted by Pemberton RCMP last month. The May search did not yield any new results and an exhaustive search of the terrain will be scheduled as soon as possible......

.......From the onset of this investigation Iwaasa’s disappearance has been considered suspicious, however there is no credible, corroborated or compelling information to suggest foul play or that the occurrence is criminal in nature.

The investigation has determined that prior to his disappearance Iwaasa had hidden the fact that he had stopped attending post-secondary classes. In examining Iwaasa’s personal affairs in the months leading up to his disappearance – including interviews with close friends as well as his financial, medical and social media activity – there is evidence to suggest he was experiencing stress in his life and had become withdrawn......

.......When the vehicle was located and the scene examined there was no evidence to suggest a criminal offence had been committed and no evidence to suggest that anyone other than Iwaasa was present when the vehicle was burned. It has not been conclusively determined if the vehicle was burned intentionally or as a result of an accident.

Some of Iwaasa’s clothing was found in a trail leading away from the vehicle into the forest. Investigators are aware there is a discrepancy between photos taken by the original hikers who located the scene and called police and RCMP photos taken when officers arrived some time later. It is possible other backcountry users encountered the items prior to RCMP arrival, and police are asking anyone who may have happened across the scene and inadvertently disturbed the items, to come forward.

All evidence that has been seized has been forensically processed, where possible, including all available electronics. The electronics that could be examined contained information linking them to Iwaasa. Several devices were old and did not contain current or recent data. In addition, fingerprinting has been conducted with no usable prints developed from the processed evidence.

All evidence is being retained for potential DNA testing. The evidence cannot be DNA tested by the RCMP crime lab unless officers have reasonable grounds to believe a DNA-designated criminal offence has been committed. At this time no such evidence or grounds exist. If a private lab were to conduct DNA testing immediately, the items may not be accepted by the RCMP lab for processing in future and any evidence recovered may not be admissible in court.

Iwaasa’s burned out truck remains in situ due to the extremely challenging remote terrain where it was found. Due to the winter conditions when the vehicle was first located and now a rock slide blocking the access road, it is physically impossible to have a tow truck access and remove the truck at this time. Upon being located, the truck was examined at the scene.

The vast majority of the information learned during the investigation to date, has been shared with Iwaasa’s family, however not all relevant and pertinent information has been shared with the public or on social media forums. The investigator’s report contains additional details and insights into the circumstances, scene and evidence which has not and will not be shared in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation.....

......As the investigation continues, and plans for an exhaustive search of the mountain terrain are finalized, any additional information about Iwaasa’s disappearance that comes to light will be investigated. Police continue to ask anyone with information to come forward.”

another interesting detail (I believe it was already known but not known right from the start so I always forget about it); "Iwaasa was last confirmed to be in Lethbridge on Nov. 17 when he said he was leaving to go to his storage locker. The storage locker key and out logs corroborate his code was used to enter the facility and then approximately two hours later leave the compound." Sounds like LE is highly leaning towards this being a voluntary disappearance.

another interesting detail (I believe it was already known but not known right from the start so I always forget about it); "Iwaasa was last confirmed to be in Lethbridge on Nov. 17 when he said he was leaving to go to his storage locker. The storage locker key and out logs corroborate his code was used to enter the facility and then approximately two hours later leave the compound." Sounds like LE is highly leaning towards this being a voluntary disappearance.

It seems that way to me too.

This caught my eye -

Investigators are aware there is a discrepancy between photos taken by the original hikers who located the scene and called police and RCMP photos taken when officers arrived some time later. It is possible other backcountry users encountered the items prior to RCMP arrival, and police are asking anyone who may have happened across the scene and inadvertently disturbed the items, to come forward.

If humans scavenged the truck as police suspect, I wonder if they came back again to ensure they left nothing behind to identify themselves, after burning the truck hours or days after M parked it and left to walk somewhere into the back country on foot? IIRC M’s cellphone and laptop that was in working order is missing, was it stolen from his truck as well?

It’s not the admirable side of human nature but I’d imagine there are people who will torch an abandoned vehicle in an isolated location just for the fun of watching it burn and steal what they can, then later be too cowardly to come forward and admit it for fear of being implicated in a missing persons case.

A thorough search of the broad surroundings where the truck was found is a positive step forward, now that the ice and snow have finally melted from higher elevations.

JMO

Last edited:
-RCMP will be performing an 'exhaustive ground search' soon
-the items taken for DNA testing can't actually be tested until police have evidence that a crime was committed here?? ...i know resources are always scarce but what if the DNA evidence is the evidence that will indicate a criminal component..

Police say some investigative details cannot be shared to the public
“Police said Monday that although the “vast majority” of the information learned throughout the investigation into Iwaasa’s disappearance has been shared with his family, not all can be shared publicly.

“The investigator’s report contains additional details and insights into the circumstances, scene and evidence which has not — and will not — be shared in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation.”
Marshal Iwaasa investigation: What we know about the missing Calgary man

I wonder if the RCMP were able to determine a link between MI and the province of BC, specifically the Whistler or Pemberton area? We’ve learned he wasn’t attending his SAIT program plus employment prospects in the oil patch would’ve been dismal and Calgary’s unemployment rate has been consistently high for the same reason.

So I wonder if he might’ve travelled to BC seek out a job opportunity? He might’ve not been inclined to announce the fact he was job hunting after dropping out of SAIT until he knew he was successful in gaining new employment. That’d be fairly common as not all young adult men share every detail of their lives with family members and often lean towards mainly sharing the “good news”.

However as police have indicated “......there is evidence to suggest he was experiencing stress in his life and had become withdrawn......”, depression, loss of hope for the future sadly can become a hurdle difficult to overcome. Perhaps this is why his disappearance is suspicious but the RCMP haven’t indicated foul play is believed to have been involved. And the reason for the exhaustive search.

My thoughts are with MIs family, hoping they will find answers beyond the nightmare of not knowing.

Paige Bri shared a link.
19 hrs
SEARCH UPDATE: I spoke with our PI team whom coordinated the dog and drone search teams being used for the current searches. Nothing was found yesterday and so far, nothing noted today. We will keep everyone posted as I know everyone here is invested in the outcome of this search.
We have been trying very hard to find a balance between informing everyone of new or relevant information while respecting that releasing some information might be more harmful than helpful. Howeve...r, we have started to get more questions about the LPS statement that members of the Iwaasa family are in attendance. I know it might be confusing but all the Iwaasa family and friends who have been assisting me in the search for my brother are not with the police at this time. I have just recently relocated back to Lethbridge and am still under quarantine. My family and I will be going together once LPS and the professionals have completed their search at the truck site.
I know many of you have been asking to join a larger public search. We truly appreciate your support but we have not yet figured out what is safest for everyone to help find Marshal. We should know more in the coming days but at this time we have never seen any concrete evidence that Marshal was even at the truck site in BC. Thank you again for all the support

Another update - same link as above.

“..........To our knowledge LPS and RCMP conducted and completed their search on Wednesday and Thursday. Neither LPS nor RCMP has contacted us about the conclusion of this search yet but I am sure once they are done reviewing all their information we will receive a update. Additionally our PI team will remain in the area for as long as needed until they feel ready to conclude their search.

Previously LPS released a statement that members of the Iwassa family were in attendance for this search. We were unaware of this but have since found out that the mentioned family members was our biological Father Perry. Unfortunately Perry has been estranged from myself and Marshal for the last 10 years and has not been involved in our search for Marshal.

As always I want to keep the focus on finding answers to Marshals disappearance and will keep you all updated as I hear more from our PI team, LPS or RCMP. Pictured below is just a small portion of the skilled search members our PI team arranged Casdda - Canadian Search and Disaster Dogs Association.”

Paige Bri
July 5 at 5:29 PM
We just want to let everyone that our family is currently in Pemberton, BC at the site of Marshals truck. The day after I was done quarantine we headed out here as a family to see the truck. The journey just getting here was extremely long and far from ideal. Normally the drive from lethbridge to Pemberton is about 13 hours. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen road closures caused by flooding, it took us over 32 hours to drive here.

However, it was worth it. This experience has ...confirmed what we have been feeling this entire time, that we do not believe Marshal was ever at this truck site. We studied the map so many times, knew exactly where we were going, and we still got lost at first trying to find the truck site. Once we found the right road, we couldn’t believe how overgrown, small and difficult it was. We don’t believe that he ever would have taken his vehicle up here by choice. We agree with many of you and those familiar with the area, that this isn’t a place where someone just “ends up”. Someone knew where they were going with Marshals truck.

We would like to give an huge thank you to 4LOW BC group who picked us up from our hotel, took us safety to the truck site, and helped us navigate around the mountain. We would have never been able to get there without the use of your vehicles, the donation of your time, your expert driving stills, and your friendship. We cannot thank them enough. If you check out there YouTube channel and you’ll be able to see the terrine they are able to handle (https://youtu.be/rCzxoHso69c)

To me this feels like the end of wondering if Marsh was ever up on the mountain with his truck. It is now time for us to push for concrete evidence of what happened to Marshal after he was last confirmed in Lethbridge and get answers as to what happened to him.

I feel like this terrible experience has showns me the amount of caring and support that is out there and I am truly grateful for it

To help all our wonderful supporters understand where marshals truck is , and the extreme terrain to get a normal truck up there is not somthing you would want to do.

106142822_10158729149659878_3090511729214689306_n.jpg

106142822_10158729149659878_3090511729214689306_n.jpg

-PAXP-deijE.gif

0:00

0:00

It looks like you may be having problems playing this video. If so, please try restarting your browser.
Close
Posted by Cat Lee

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater