Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s what the FBI told me regarding this question: This is a local investigation, not a federal one, so #SuzanneMorphew is not listed on FBI's missing persons page (even though FBI is assisting). The FBI will only post a missing person if requested by local authorities. (1/3)

2/3) As of now, local authorities have not requested to have #SuzanneMorphew put on the FBI’s missing persons list. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future. The FBI says there’s no specific reasoning why or malicious intent behind this — it’s an administrative thing.

3/3) According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, #SuzanneMorphew remains a missing person in Colorado and other national databases.

Previous story on why little info has been released to the public: bit.ly/3cPtH0i
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1280651387785764865?s=21

IMO the searches were done earlier, and to my knowledge, have not been repeated. I’ve not seen any evidence, that the investigation keeps coming back to BM.
IANAL, but IMO these were standard procedural events, based on statistics.
The concrete slab excavation, was an anomaly, possibly based on tip, which could have been an honest mistake by the tipster, or even a deliberate one by someone; an attempt to frame BM.

IMO the statement made about clearing the property owner is not the statement that BM was referring to in the TD interview. It would be unlikely for them to have cleared him before all the electronics came back. They could have informed him personally, once they had all the results.

IMO, there would not have been a need for recanvassing citizens, if they had overwhelming evidence against BM.

I’m not sure we would see evidence of BM and his team searching, because it is much more of the same information gathering, that some of us have been doing.

Past addresses, credit card info, and so on is extremely hard to find, when someone is off the grid. I certainly hope they have some experts tracking this. I am a novice and I am having little but some success.

One of the cases I followed in the past involved the Lyon sisters’ kidnapping and murders, eventually found to be committed by a drifter. The FBI timeline for the 45 yrs of this drifter’s life after that event were extremely vague, w/ lots of gaps.
We think our electronics have made it easier to catch these guys. They HAVE made it harder to avoid the grid. There are still people who pay in cash, and don’t maintain cell phone service, using the pre paid phones, etc.

Harder, not impossible. I believe the investigators have been looking for this Bad Guy, while we have been only focused on BM.
It serves no purpose to update us on these searches, and the public doesn’t need to have statements warning them, there have been enough incidents before SM disappeared, to alert the public.
It IS time consuming to search, that’s why I’m not posting as much.
It’s disheartening to check back here, and realize we are still pounding the same puzzle pieces into the puzzle.
IMO, they seem to fit, based on the norms, but this isn’t a normal puzzle.
People do not always know they have a stalker, this event did involve a degree of spying, surveilling, and planning.
We actually do have 2 people missing from Salida. Coincidence? I think not.
BBM
My understanding is we don't know where all they have searched. Also since that is the case, we don't know if they have went back and searched again in that area.

It was a fluke we found out LE searched the house. LE stated they weren't, but they did.

It was a fluke we found out about the foundation pad being removed. My own opinion is LE would have liked to have had that quiet also.

LE has stated there were searches in other areas. We don't know where these other areas are.

That’s a good point. But I think Dave was saying that being cleared implies they were under suspicion, which the homeowner never was. And that’s true.

But I think it’s pretty clear that the homeowner is not involved in anything related to what happened to Suzanne.
BAM!

It boggles my brain it keeps being brought up.

BAM!

It boggles my brain it keeps being brought up.
Ita.

And it's obvious LE would have taken the correct steps and procured a search warrant.
Not just the homeowner's permission.
If I were the homeowner I might have been tempted to ask if they found anything.
But of course they wouldn't say !
And rightly so.

I am dying to know what was in that SW.
Patience....

If they just needed Suzanne's DNA, it would likely be a very short search; all they would need for DNA would be her hairbrush or toothbrush.
MOO

ETA: They were there for what, 3 days?
I posted these thoughts way back, but they are valid in this discussion. Salida is a small community, everybody seems to know everybody. <modsnip>
The investigators, had to maintain strict protocols, to avoid being accused of conflict of interest. This may be one of the reasons, CBI and FBI were involved. SLED steps in in cases such as this in my state.
IMO, there may have been more of an effort to investigate BM to be sure they were treating BM as thoroughly as others.
If they went in the Ms house and spent less than 3 days, that could be considered less than thorough, that would be red flag for me. We didn’t see an enormous amount of anything brought out, IIRC

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted these thoughts way back, but they are valid in this discussion. Salida is a small community, everybody seems to know everybody. <modsnip>
The investigators, had to maintain strict protocols, to avoid being accused of conflict of interest. This may be one of the reasons, CBI and FBI were involved. SLED steps in in cases such as this in my state.
IMO, there may have been more of an effort to investigate BM to be sure they were treating BM as thoroughly as others.
If they went in the Ms house and spent less than 3 days, that could be considered less than thorough, that would be red flag for me. We didn’t see an enormous amount of anything brought out, IIRC
But we only saw what the daily mail (scoop) captured and printed ...
The media thread for SM may provide answers to many questions of what little we know about this missing woman as reported by MSM
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very heartened to recall they've done ten large scale searches (presumably one of which was the BM work site: very much visible as much as the other NINE not so much as a mum of a word whispered)

These are TEN 'large scale' searches that went under the radar & without any information released about SM in any other typical 'missing person' case fashion.....

To wit: LE had their leads from that first evening of May 10th IMO

I passed through Salida again today.

Large banners everywhere with her picture & that $200,000 reward..

I've got a sense of the community: now, I could be wrong (who purchased & put up those banners?).....BUT, seems like this community has a solid backbone of common sense....& that big 'ole reward: is like: pay up BM...

Now, that's JMO - but seems like a sly dig to me...but then, I'm a bit jaundiced in this case with regards to BM

But they sure make a point about that moola...

Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff

I might be wrong, but I’m in the ‘crime of passion’ camp.
MOO

I’m with you. I feel like he was involved, unfortunately. But I’ll be completely shocked if it was planned for profit. It’s been a long marriage for that kind of cold ending. I can seeing a flash of hot rage being the cause.

MOO, and I am hoping to see evidence that he wasn’t involved at all.

I’m with you. I feel like he was involved, unfortunately. But I’ll be completely shocked if it was planned for profit. It’s been a long marriage for that kind of cold ending. I can seeing a flash of hot rage being the cause.

MOO, and I am hoping to see evidence that he wasn’t involved at all.

Got any room around that campfire? I feel like maybe SM found out something and confronted BM with it.

BBM:

Ah! That is such a great question.

That is precisely the question we should all be asking.

Is he successful?

Is he, really?

I have my doubts.

JMO.
BBM
That’s possibly an exaggeration as well. He may have wanted people to think he was successful but yet he was owing money on taxes for properties he owned back in Indiana. He recently paid those up to date at the end of May I believe. I’m going to have to say this is my opinion because I’d have to double check but there are a lot of people who live way beyond their means. You just never know.

Got any room around that campfire? I feel like maybe SM found out something and confronted BM with it.
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if it was planned for financial benefit but I agree with you that it’s possible SM discovered something and she confronted him. The hard part is figuring out whether he lashed out immediately, or went off to meditate on how he was going resolve the problem. I waiver on my theories of how exactly it went down, but not about the aspect of premeditation. With regard to the premeditation it’s just a matter of long he thought about it, 3 months, 3 days, 3 hours or 3 minutes.

MOO
I’m curious about the crime of passion camp. If it was a crime of passion, does this mean that the camping trip and Barry’s work trip to Denver were coincidental and unrelated to Suzanne’s disappearance? Or that these out of town trips were indeed planned, but not necessarily connected to any possible crime? I struggle with this, but at the same time, I can see how the bike ride and Barry’s work trip could’ve been planned after the fact but were not essentially a part of a longer term strategy. JMO

Last edited:
Thank you -- that's my point. BM knows the girls aren't going to be home until late afternoon or early evening, but he acts like they were going to spend Mothers' Day with mom. Whether you are in a car coming from a campground, on a church bus coming back from a retreat, or hitching a ride on a fast horse, you aren't going to be home for 8 - 9 hours. Not in time to 'spend the day' with mom.

Let's not get the thread shut down, but let's also not assume that every single person who camps goes directly in one day from their campground to their home.

Tons of places to camp between any campground in Idaho and Salida...lots of beautiful scenery - even some places to snowshoe or maybe do a bit of hiking.

And how do you and so many others on here know or think he killed her? I do not see any evidence or any showing by him that shows he's the monster some people, on here, say he is and accuse him of killing her.

I totally respect your opinion BM didn’t harm SM. However, you mentioned that LE has ONLY focused on BM and they need to now spend time tracking down the real killer. Do you have inside information as to how LE, FBI, etc have spent their “man hours” since SM went missing. I have followed this case since day one and haven’t seen any MSM staring this as fact.

It isn’t that those of us who think he did it know beyond a shadow of a doubt. But, what we do know are the odds are that he did. And he has had odd behavior. So that is double the odds I guess.

MOO

For those of you who feel a pending divorce, and potential financial ruin for BM, are the primary motives explaining SMs disappearance, I would say you are part of the premeditated / planned ‘camp’.
JMO
BBM
Oh boy this reminds me so much of JonBenet and the initials for theories - BDI, RDI, IDI, ...?
We have copc and ppc here ? And others may believe Mountain Lion Did It, Stalker did it, random abductor did it. Others ?
JMO

I totally respect your opinion BM didn’t harm SM. However, you mentioned that LE has ONLY focused on BM and they need to now spend time tracking down the real killer. Do you have inside information as to how LE, FBI, etc have spent their “man hours” since SM went missing. I have followed this case since day one and haven’t seen any MSM staring this as fact.

It isn’t that those of us who think he did it know beyond a shadow of a doubt. But, what we do know are the odds are that he did. And he has had odd behavior. So that is double the odds I guess.
Ita.
You're correct in that LE have never solely focused on BM.
We don't know, for instance, if LE spoke with any of BM's relatives or coworkers.
LE may also have spoken to Suzanne's side of the family to understand what might have been going on around the last days she was seen by anyone outside of the family.

None of us have inside information at this time, not even msm ; and for good reason.
Esp. seeing how some stories early on became wildly out of control.

Tight-lipped is how LE are proceeding and they do not appear to be looking for a kidnapped woman, sadly !
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member