CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

Something that continues to puzzle me, while the sister believes M was never at the location of the burned truck, it also doesn’t make sense how the truck ended up where it did, especially if M was never in BC. If M was hijacked/attacked somewhere near Lethbridge or Calgary there are many, many places to hide and destroy a truck far closer without driving it all the way to the coast of BC. The Rocky Mountains are between here and there, northern Alberta, the Crowsnest Pass, all within a few hours.

Because it was burned at an outdoor adventure trail, it attracted far more attention than if it had just been pushed over a cliff into a thick forest off a logging road in the middle of nowhere. It’s as if his truck was meant to be found for some reason. Because it was burned, there’s also no way to tell if was mechanically sound at the time.

While M might’ve never been at Pemberten, how the truck ended up there is integral to determining how it got there. But it seems to me, just as important is finding out what was going on in M’s life in the time leading up to his disappearance. As he’d hidden the fact he’d dropped out of his course at SAIT, how was he spending his days? Did he have an under-the-table job or involved in illegal activity, or was he job hunting, or spending his time alone in the depth of depression and despair? That answer has to be directly connected to his disappearance IMO.

Is nobody who knew M in recent times talking to the family and if not, why not because at the age of 26 it’s absolutely common for a young adult living away from home to share with his mother and sister only what he chooses to. As M apparently worked in the oil industry for a number of years, I guarantee he’d have crossed paths with people from all over Canada and definitely from BC as well. During Alberta’s boom times employees came from everywhere. For that reason I don’t think it can be ruled out M had no connection to anyone from BC. After the bust in oil prices, then it became widely known that BC offered greater employment opportunities than Alberta so the flow of the unemployed switched directions.

I hope the family is able to find the answers they’re seeking.

Last edited:
Something that continues to puzzle me, while the sister believes M was never at the location of the burned truck, it also doesn’t make sense how the truck ended up where it did, especially if M was never in BC. If M was hijacked/attacked somewhere near Lethbridge or Calgary there are many, many places to hide and destroy a truck far closer without driving all the way to the coast of BC. The Rocky Mountains are between here and there, northern Alberta, the Crowsnest Pass, all within a few hours.

Because it was burned at an outdoor adventure trail, it attracted far more attention than if it had just been pushed over a cliff into a thick forest off a logging road in the middle of nowhere. It’s as if his truck was meant to be found for some reason. Because it was burned, there’s also no way to tell if it was mechanically sound at the time.

While M might’ve never been at Pemberten, how the truck ended up there is integral to determining how it got there. But it seems to me, just as important is finding out what was going on in M’s life in the time leading up to his disappearance. As he’d hidden the fact he’d dropped out of his course at SAIT, how was he spending his days? Did he have an under-the-table job or involved in illegal activity, or was he job hunting, or spending his time alone in the depth of depression and despair? That answer has to be directly connected to his disappearance IMO.

Is nobody who knew M in recent times talking to the family and if not, why not because at the age of 26 it’s absolutely common for a young adult living away from home to share with his mother and sister only what he chooses to. Because he’d worked in the oilfield in the past, it’s absolutely guaranteed he’d have crossed paths with lots of other workers from all across Canada, definitely including BC too. Alberta’s boom time resulted in labour shortages, employees came together from everywhere. For this reason I can’t believe it can be absolutely ruled out M had no connection to anyone from BC.

I hope the family is able to find the answers they’re seeking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.. rbbm.
''Additionally, she said a team by the name of 4LOW B.C. reached out to them a little while back and offered to pick them up from their hotel and take them to the truck site, which is exactly what they did this past weekend.

“Their vehicles are equipped and well-prepared to drive us there… in four-by-fouring and rough terrain,” Fogen explained.

“One of the cool things we had is a four-by-four group that are kind of like mechanics, they do a lot of work on their own vehicles, [and] they’re quite knowledgeable about vehicles and vehicle parts,” Fogen said.
“They told our family that it looks like there’s all these extra vehicle parts, there’s all these other things that are at the truck site… it kind of looks odd, like maybe some pieces are missing. We still have to confirm that with police, but it does look odd to us.”

The police have not informed the family of any new breakthroughs in the case during their trip.

The family say they have reason to believe Iwaasa’s vehicle has been stripped for parts after examining it at the site.''
''She said the family is curious to find out who the broken gaming devices belong to since Iwaasa’s gaming accessories were still at his place when Fogen went to go check.''

I wonder if any Forest Service fire detection devices noted the intense truck fire? To pin down an exact date. Did anyone in the area see the plume of black smoke or the high flames (depending on the time of day) that must have risen from the forest as the truck fire raged?

It certainly is a very long distance to travel and a bizarre place to drive a vehicle to, and then set it on fire. What would be the motivation? How would Marshall, from so far away, know about an obscure forest road in a remote place in another province?

Could Marshall have had someone familiar with that remote area with him, either by choice or accidentally (hitchhiker?), who somehow convinced Marshall to drive to this remote area (maybe this person claimed he had a wilderness home there?) and something terrible happened to Marshall along the way?

I’m certain the sister is driven by a whole tangle of emotions including fear, despair, grief, and panic and yes anger, that’s normal too. This is especially difficult to overcome as a missing person’s spokesperson as well. However I do wonder if she’s able to consider how her insistence M was a homicide victim and criticism of LE for failing to automatically classifying it as such might hinder other people who knew M from reaching out to communicate with her or her PI team. Just having moved back to Alberta, this is the prime time for her to openly seek information from others who knew him in the days and months leading up to Nov/19.

M’s father and stepmother were involved with the Pemberten search which indicates to me they are in close contact with LE since I doubt they’d show up uninvited. Yet the sister claims both her and M have been estranged from their father for 10 years. How can she possibly know that, her living in Hawaii? Why would his dad travel to BC to join a search for his son if they were indeed estranged for that long, if he didn’t care about his son? Is it possible M had a relationship with his father and he chose to not disclose it to his sister, not wanting to create friction? Maybe the father is far more aware of the stresses M might’ve been faced with and what was going on in M’s life at the time of his disappearance? Sadly I’m thinking hostility within the full circle of M’s relationships can certainly impede the investigation. If nothing else, it must make it more difficult for LE involved in a missing person’s case if family members aren’t communicating with one and other.

While it’s acknowledged M carried broken cellphones and laptops with him in his truck, I don’t understand why a shell of an Xbox found near the truck stands out as overly suspicious as all fall within the same category of nonworking electronics. A newer version of Xbox seems to be marketed every year, so I don’t think it wouldn’t be all that unusual for M to have bought another one. It makes less sense to me for a murderer to leave behind a shell of an Xbox at a crime scene amongst other stuff known to have come from M’s truck.

As for the truck, if M was never at Pemberton, there’s still other possibilities that might explain the location where it was found.
- the truck was abandoned somewhere else, M died accidentally and the truck was stolen. Did he have any serious health issues or drug dependencies?
- the truck was abandoned at Pemberton intact, regardless of how it got there, then was ransacked and stripped by a separate group who also torched it. The burned truck doesn’t only point to burned evidence of murder.
- M just walked away from the stresses and frustration of everyday life and is somewhere off the grid, not wanting to be found.

But I’m not ruling out the fact M may’ve been a victim of homicide. It’s just that I admire those involved in finding Holly Clark for laying everything out there that might lead to answers, rather than adamantly concluding only one hypothesis over another is possible.

Unless or until LE is able to find proof M met with foul play, unfortunately it’s going to remain a missing persons investigation. But that doesn’t mean M’s disappearance will be forgotten - it’s just that without proof a murder occurred LE have no suspect to seek, as frustrating and heartbreaking it must be for M’s loved ones. A missing person has to be the ultimate worst nightmare, so many possibilities often leading to no real answers. I feel for their heartbreak.

Paige Bri shared a link.
4 hrs
It is frustrating that I must make this post but due to the recent article written by Lethbridge Herald we feel it is important that we clarify the situation. Perry is Marshal and my biological father who has not been involved in either of our lives for over 10 years. Without going into detail, I can simply say that Perry is not a good person or a good father. Due to Perry’s treatment of Marshal, Marshal had to come live with me and Cat Lee when he was just 16 and I was 19. Since then Perry has been estranged from the family. It is also important that it is made clear that Marshals family does not think Marshal was at the truck site or did this to himself.

I do not know why Perry is now inserting himself into the investigation and putting so much effort into trying to convince people that Marshal is dead, but it is not okay. Myself and my family will not stop fighting for an appropriate investigation into my brother’s disappearance. I cannot think of any reason a parent would give up without having any real answers into their disappearance. I never wanted to take any of the focus away from finding my brother but misleading information in this article needs to be corrected. Perry’s views are not the views of Marshals family, only those of an estranged father who knows nothing about Marshal.

I am disappointed that Lethbridge Herald published this article that portrayed Perry as being a spokesperson for the Iwaasa family or that he’s been involved in our search for answers on Marshals disappearance. I will be directly contacting the Lethbridge Herald author who wrote the article and requesting the information be clarified. We will continue to push for answers on Marshals disappearance and for it to be considered criminal

This is the cached version of the Lethbridge Herald report including information regarding the outcome of the Pemberton search provided by M’s father. It appears the article has now been pulled. Just my opinion, the content is what’s most important - the focus on finding Marshal.

Iwaasa family grateful to police for efforts in search for Marshal
“We want to say a special thank you to the police in all this; especially a big thank you Cst. Darrin Birrell. He is the lead investigator with the Lethbridge Police Service on Marshal’s case. He has kept us informed with the investigation on any new leads, and anything they were going to be doing as far as searches, and any updates. He has been very open and transparent, and it is not just him — it’s the whole Lethbridge Police Service. I would also like to thank Cpl. Mike Hamilton from the Pemberton RCMP.”

Iwaasa is particularly grateful that officers allowed himself, his wife Myrna and his son Mark to take part in the most recent search. He says the experience gave his family a feeling of certainty Marshal had indeed been there...

......There were three alternatives that were looked at by investigators,” Iwaasa explains. “One would have been criminal in nature, one may have been accidental, and the other may have been a mental health crisis. The police during their investigations looked at all three aspects, and every one they investigated came up with nothing.”

Iwaasa says the investigators are leaning toward the explanation that Marshal likely drove himself up to the remote location......

......Despite multiple searches of the area around where Marshal’s truck was discovered, the police have, for the moment, run out of leads, says Iwaasa. “They have done multiple searches in that area,” he says. “They have canvassed the area for businesses and other towns in that area and they have for businesses and other towns in that area and they have found no leads at all. Everything has turned up negative. It will remain an open case.”....”

“You Asked For It !” Tonight at 7 MT you can help us find Marshall with an exclusive interview with Iwassa family members Paige and Dawson . Will get updated information and hear how the surgeon Pemberton went on Jess TVand Jess FM “
Levi cox.

Other family members have appeared on JessTV/JessFM in the past. I am not sure how to access the program but I guess its streaming videos or SM located in Calgary or Lethridge.

Lethbridge Police Service
“Police continue to investigate the disappearance of Marshal Iwaasa and the file will remain open – with a dedicated investigator – until he is found.

Late last month an exhaustive search of the mountainous B.C. terrain where Iwaasa’s burned out truck was found in November 2019, was conducted by police and civilian search and rescue personnel. Iwaasa was not located during the search.

Iwaasa, who was 26-years-old at the time he was reported missing, was last seen by relatives in Lethbridge on Nov. 17, 2019. He told family he was returning to Calgary but hasn’t been seen or heard from since. He was reported missing on Nov. 25, 2019. Iwaasa’s disappearance is considered suspicious, however there is no credible, corroborated or compelling information at this time to suggest foul play or that the matter is criminal in nature. Throughout the investigation officers have continued to monitor Iwaasa’s personal affairs including potential personal contacts as well as social media, phone, medical and financial activity. Since Iwaasa’s disappearance there have been no footprints of life.

On June 24, 2020 LPS, members of the Pemberton RCMP and surrounding detachments – 12 police officers in total – and 15 Search and Rescue personnel from Pemberton and Squamish, were involved in a comprehensive ground search of areas that were not previously covered during past search efforts in November/December 2019. Members of the Canadian Search and Disaster Dog Association were also on scene and conducted an independent search. In addition to the search efforts, an RCMP fire investigator examined and processed Iwaasa’s burned out truck. LPS is currently awaiting the fire investigator’s report.

The surrounding area where Iwaasa’s truck was located has been extensively searched on multiple occasions and no further searches are planned at this time.

Iwaasa has been listed as missing with the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains (NCMPUR) and his DNA and dental records are on file to aid in identification if remains are later located. Investigators are currently conducting interviews with several individuals who may have information that could shed light on Iwaasa’s disappearance, continue to check various databases and will follow-up on any new information.

To date police have looked into and checked all available avenues and known sources of information to determine Iwaasa’s movements including CCTV footage from businesses, highway traffic monitoring images, national park/gate camera footage and made requests for dash cam footage from members of the public. At this time there is no known CCTV footage of Iwaasa or his vehicle after he went missing.

Once the identified investigative tasks have been completed, if no new information comes to light, the missing persons file will remain open with a dedicated investigator until Iwaasa is found or the case is solved. Any and all new evidence or leads will be pursued as they are received.

Anyone with information about Marshal Iwaasa is asked to come forward. LPS has jurisdiction of the investigation and can be reached by calling 403-328-4444. To remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.p3tips.com.

The above video details the latest search for Marshal in Pemberton B.C.
still crazy to me that the car is still just out there! but after seeing the terrain i don't doubt the difficulty in removing it; I wonder if the excavators are out there working in order to remove the car (but the operators not informed)?
must have been difficult for Marshall's truck to get out there in the first place. is his truck at the end of that ATV/bike trail, then? my opinions are changing again, really does look like someone drove that truck as far as it would go and got rid of evidence.

still crazy to me that the car is still just out there! but after seeing the terrain i don't doubt the difficulty in removing it; I wonder if the excavators are out there working in order to remove the car (but the operators not informed)?
must have been difficult for Marshall's truck to get out there in the first place. is his truck at the end of that ATV/bike trail, then? my opinions are changing again, really does look like someone drove that truck as far as it would go and got rid of evidence.

It’s a real mystery, that’s for sure. If someone else drive it there who was familiar with the area, they’d have known the truck would be discovered because the road was also the route to the Brian Waddington Hut. They’d also require a 2nd party to bring the driver back out or meet up somewhere. Unusual lengths to go to, to not really hide a burned out vehicle IMO. If someone else drove it there who wasn’t familiar with the area and thought the truck would sit there for months and maybe years before discovery, how’d they find the road?

I recall reading there was an avalanche somewhere which prevented removal of the truck this spring but now I can’t find the source. So if that were so, maybe the road workers were repairing the road due to that.

June 15 2020
Marshal Iwaasa investigation: What we know about the missing Calgary man
''Iwaasa’s vehicle remains where it was found

Iwaasa’s burned-out truck remains where it was located due to the “extremely challenging remote terrain where it was found,” police said.

“Due to the winter conditions when the vehicle was first located and now a rock slide blocking the access road, it is physically impossible to have a tow truck access and remove the truck at this time.”

I still think about the oddities of this case. Like many of you have mentioned, the location of the truck is strange. I can't see a reason for Marshal to go there, even if he wanted to get away from his old life. I suppose he could have wanted to rough it to get away from his life, it's possible, but that seems unlikely. My thoughts are still that his truck was stolen as a crime of opportunity and used to get to B.C., where it was dumped when it wasn't needed anymore. Why it was dumped there? I have no idea. Maybe the thief didn't know the area and thought it wouldn't be found? I also couldn't speculate whether Marshal intended to abandon his truck or what happened to him before/after the fact.

This is such an odd case. There must have been 2 vehicles up there including his truck for someone to just abandon it there.

And a torched truck is bound to attract far more attention as opposed to a vacant vehicle parked at the head of a hiking trail. And the truck could’ve been burned in an attempt to make it difficult to trace the registration of the owner but then why was MI’s passport laying on the ground?

I certainly could be wrong but my mind is stuck on the scene suggests a different 2nd party came along later and scavenged the abandoned vehicle, strew its contents around looking for something worth stealing and then torched it for a lark, just because that’s what malicious vandals sometimes do. If so, they’re not likely to come forward incriminating themselves in a missing persons case by admitting their criminal deeds. However that doesn’t explain why Marshal’s truck was parked there in the first place. JMO

ETA - Aside from the hikers who found the truck on the 24th, it appears at least one other group was also there shortly after who disturbed the scene. So while the area is indeed remote, it can’t be quite as unknown or inaccessible as might appear.

Marshal Iwaasa investigation: What we know about the missing Calgary man
“Police say hikers discovered some of Iwaasa’s clothing in the forest in a trail leading away from his vehicle.

According to Lethbridge police, there is a “discrepancy” between photos taken by the hikers who located the scene and RCMP photos taken when officers arrived some time later.

“It is possible other backcountry users encountered the items prior to RCMP arrival,” police explained.

As such, police are asking anyone who may have happened across the scene and inadvertently disturbed the items to come forward....”

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back