Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels good to see it in print.

I mention in my article that I did a lot of investigating into the Twelve Tribes. Would explain the lack of ID, Phone, etc. I thought Ben Bilemy sounded Hebrew, which is what members take on. Not sure they would report one of their own missing.

after seeing the notebooks, I was much less convinced about 12 tribes. If he did write the notebooks, he has far too much computer experience to be a member of that group.

Attachments

• B3EBAE44-1BBA-4F44-85AA-13185903141C.jpeg
    B3EBAE44-1BBA-4F44-85AA-13185903141C.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 104

I mention in my article that I did a lot of investigating into the Twelve Tribes. Would explain the lack of ID, Phone, etc. I thought Ben Bilemy sounded Hebrew, which is what members take on. Not sure they would report one of their own missing.

after seeing the notebooks, I was much less convinced about 12 tribes. If he did write the notebooks, he has far too much computer experience to be a member of that group.

Congratulations on the article. Beautiful presentation. And another round of congratulations for your dogged work on this case. It's been a real pleasure to stumble across your breadcrumbs in the most remote corners of the internet.

[Edit: this note is in response to @lonewanderer in-line comments on my previous post, but the quoted text isn't showing up in this message]

I agree that the shaving indicates a departure in his normal course of behavior. Perhaps he cleaned up to meet someone?

In conjunction with the tan, the shave makes me think that he possibly stopped for a while to make some money under the table. Several of my high school friends had brief stints doing seasonal farm work in that corridor in the May-July period. Mostly cucumbers, if I recall correctly. Strawberry season would have just ended, but beans, blueberries, and watermelons would fit.

Wow!

Theoretically, MH could have been at the Noble camp for a couple of months. I believe the last time there was a sighting of him was April, and he was found dead in July. Thoughts?

I agree that he might have been there for a long period of time. IMO

Even the description info in NAMUS says:
The decedent did not appear to be in good health. It appeared the decedent was living in the park.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think the computer experience would be dependent on when he would of left a community like that. He may have left early teens and picked up coding easily. Or even immersed himself in it given it wasn't easily accessed in that type of community.

For what it's worth. I'm totally not offended by the suggestion he could be gay....why would you be anyway, it doesn't change anything.
Because a lot of my good friends are and they will tell you with a quickness that their social circles are somewhat different than a straight person. I figured it wouldn't hurt to post in different groups. Clearly what everyone is doing isn't working so I'm trying to step outside of the box. Until we have facts instead of hearsay then no harm done.

Because a lot of my good friends are and they will tell you with a quickness that their social circles are somewhat different than a straight person. I figured it wouldn't hurt to post in different groups. Clearly what everyone is doing isn't working so I'm trying to step outside of the box. Until we have facts instead of hearsay then no harm done.
But I get so many rude comments for even suggesting this. It's my idea not a fact. But people are offended

But I get so many rude comments for even suggesting this. It's my idea not a fact. But people are offended

I know you have good intentions, and are thinking outside the box. It is the year 2020 and almost everyone has came to accept varying sexual preferences.

To quote a line from Atlas Shrugged "It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."

The point is, consider the audience you are introducing your opinion to, and make sure to have good, fact based, and solid evidence to support your claim (which seems to be very little by any interactions to support any theory on MH's orientation).

So, what difference does it make if MH was any orientation? I don't ask this rudely, I ask because if there is an angle to explore that myself or anyone else is not seeing, I would be glad to help you explore it further.

Looking into William Faries more (I am a hobbyist genealogist for the past decade) I think he's a very strong candidate. (Besides all the other matching with circumstances) He himself has zero social media. He has connections to Florida (Via his father I believe) but lived in NC. His mother and sil has an account. His brother not on sm but found on internet, has the same greying beard pattern MH does with the brown/red beard at the front. In The newspaper archives, there is a lovely write up and a photo about his brother and sil wedding in 2008. There is no mention of William at all, and yet he is mentioned in several other papers when relatives have passed. I think he may have been "Nomadic" as his family mentioned before 2008 , and I think that his picture maybe older than we think. He also goes by Paul Faries (not to be confused with the New york baseball player which sadly is all that comes up) But basically I can't find any pictures of him anywhere in newspaper archives or other internet places. Like others I called him in when he came up on namus, and hope we get some answers soon

To justify what @Armalita has put forth: Even in today's society some gay people are shunned (or think they will be shunned) by family and co-workers and are distanced from them. It is a possible explanation of why no one is missing him.

Personally, I don't see any reason to criticize for asking about this potential angle.

I would love to identify this gentleman... SNIPPED I had mentioned in another group that possibly he is gay and that seemed to upset a lot of people. I didn't say it was a fact but is it wrong to go down that avenue and share to some groups? I'm not trying to get kicked off or deleted I just said it's possible. Other opinions would greatly be appreciated because I didn't realize people would get angry over this.

Do you have a reason to think that? Gay, straight, bi, it is all the same to me.

Just wondering why you came to the possibility. I had put thought into it, but from everything we know, there just doesn't seem to be enough evidence to support his orientation, be it straight/gay/bi from my perspective.

To me it reads as if @Armalita simply thinks that "if" there's the chance Denim had interactions within the gay community, then it "might" be wise to advertise directly to them via their preferred/more frequented channels of communication. There's also no evidence that Denim was a member of any religious groups or cults, but people are discussing the idea, without the same criticism. He lived a life. There stands the possibility that he crossed paths with people who may happen to be a part of the LGBTQ community.

ETA - clarification to @lonewanderer I'm not implying you've criticised in your response. Poor word choice on my part. My apologies.

Armalita, imho, it is not "wrong to go down that avenue". Unfortunately I cannot advise you on where best to begin. Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree that he might have been there for a long period of time. IMO

Even the description info in NAMUS says:
The decedent did not appear to be in good health. It appeared the decedent was living in the park.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I have had several conversations with the young man who found him. his opinion, from being in the camp itself, is that if MH had been there awhile he rarely left the tent. The grass was almost chest high, it was wet all around the tent, there were zero signs that anyone walked a path from the tent, nothing but shoes and poles outside the tent. MH died sitting up at the entry to the tent. It is all so bizarre.

To me it reads as if @Armalita simply thinks that "if" there's the chance Denim had interactions within the gay community, then it "might" be wise to advertise directly to them via their preferred/more frequented channels of communication. There's also no evidence that Denim was a member of any religious groups or cults, but people are discussing the idea, without the same criticism. He lived a life. There stands the possibility that he crossed paths with people who may happen to be a part of the LGBTQ community.

ETA - clarification to @lonewanderer I'm not implying you've criticised in your response. Poor word choice on my part. My apologies.

Armalita, imho, it is not "wrong to go down that avenue". Unfortunately I cannot advise you on where best to begin. Good luck!

Your'e good, I didn't take it that way.

You have done some good wording here! I couldn't quite say what I wanted to say, but I think you have done that for me, thank you.

A human life (of all that have ever lived, with 8 billion on this planet as we speak) is INCREDIBLY complex. To rule out an orientation for any reason would be shortsighted for sure. Hopefully, we can get the OP to relay their thoughts and ideas a little better and help them explore their angle.

Your'e good, I didn't take it that way.

You have done some good wording here! I couldn't quite say what I wanted to say, but I think you have done that for me, thank you.

A human life (of all that have ever lived, with 8 billion on this planet as we speak) is INCREDIBLY complex. To rule out an orientation for any reason would be shortsighted for sure. Hopefully, we can get the OP to relay their thoughts and ideas a little better and help them explore their angle.

Ty for understanding and not taking offense. You're welcome! I agree 100% with what's in bold above. We also must imagine that even if he did not identify within any particular community (i.e., LGBTQ, religious, age, music genre, etc.) he may have had a more distant relationship with someone(s) from said community such as a customer-retailer/service provider type of relationship (e.g., restaurant owner, hairdresser, computer service tech., concert/party event planner, etc.).

As part of my reporting and dead ends, I put in a public info request with NY state parks about anyone ticketed for illegally camping at Harriman or Bear Mountain and any cars abandoned there. They redacted most of the personal info, which made it mostly useless, but I suppose one of these cars could be his. I forwarded this all to CCSO and didn't hear anything back on it. Here's a link to my Dropbox with all the files. Not sure it will help, but there was more abandoned cars there than I would have imagined. Dropbox - Harriman-Bear - Simplify your life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288