Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. So I kept having ideas pop into my head and figured it'd be good to get them all out in one go. So here we go. Disclaimer: I know I'm making some leaps here. These are my opinions based on what I know of the case and the gut feeling conclusions I draw from the clues.

Family
  • Mother & Father: He said he did not have contact with his family because his dad was abusive. This suggests to me that either his parents are still married, or his mother is dead. If they're alive and still married, I wonder if they're a part of a religion or culture where women have less agency or power. Maybe fundamentalist LDS, or fringe sect of Christianity. If we're going by what's more likely, I think she's probably dead. It's hard for me to believe that he could still be unidentified if his mother is alive and capable of looking for him.
  • Mother's background: I remember reading somewhere that he spoke creole french with someone along the trail, attributing his fluency to his mother. I know that he told someone that he was born in Baton Rouge. This leads me to believe that his mother was from Baton Rouge and his dad was not. I think that his dad probably met and married his mom, they had Ben, then they left the state shortly after. There are a few military bases around Baton Rouge - any opinions on whether Ben may have been an army brat? It might explain the lack of an accent, comfort with being a nomad, and how he hasn't been identified yet (no one from his childhood recognizing him)
  • Sister in FL: I don't believe he has a sister in FL. As others have pointed out, what we know about the timeline and his hiking progress doesn't align with a stay in Sarasota. That, and I think she would've reported him missing by now if this was truly the case. I believe he may have said this to the hiker as a way to excuse himself from being around anyone for too long. Kinda like a "hey, I have an early morning tomorrow at work, I gotta turn in..." type thing. If this is the case, I also wonder if the "I can only hike 10 miles a day" was another way to excuse himself from joining a group or spending too much time with others. This type of personality works with the things we know about his interests and hobbies. They're interests are things that can be enjoyed alone, which lends credence to my army brat theory as well.

Health
  • Death: I think he truly just didn't know how emaciated he was and starved by accident. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, but hear me out. On the show Alone, I remember there was a contestant named Dave Nessia. For those unfamiliar with the show, the premise is that contestants have to survive in the wilderness alone. Anyway, Dave was really knowledgeable on survival, very upbeat and chipper. Near the end of his run on the show, he talked about his caloric intake. It was...like, nothing. He was starting to look skeletal, but was absolutely convinced that he was thriving and doing awesome. Eventually the producers had to step in and pull him out. He was PISSED because, in his head, he was doing great and could've won the whole thing. Fast forward to the follow-up reunion thing, he admitted that he didn't have any idea how absolutely skeletal he looked by the end. (Link: So how is Dave Nessia doing? ) So my point: while this story is anecdotal, I think the idea that he "accidentally" starved isn't as far fetched as some might think. Add to this the fact that Ben was a rookie, and I think it's even more plausible.
  • Teeth: I've seen it stated that he had "good" teeth. I can also tell by some of the photos that he had straight, pretty white teeth. The autopsy stated there was some grinding but the teeth were in generally good condition. This leads me to believe that he grew up relatively comfortable and was well cared for. If he was "off the grid" as others suspect, he probably wouldn't have had access to braces (straight teeth) nor routine dental care (good condition). Teeth grinding is common, but it might indicate anxiety.
Adult Life
  • Career: I think he had to have been in IT as his career. The posts I've seen reviewing the screeps codes suggest that he was likely advanced when it comes to coding, but wasn't perhaps as familiar with the specifics of the game itself. In a reddit post in the screeps subreddit, one user notes that Ben's code unnecessarily identifies the number of power units needed once he gains access to a room. The user also stated that it was clear that Ben knew what he was doing when it came to coding, but wasn't as familiar with the ins-and-outs of the game. Maybe he picked up the game to keep his coding skills "fresh" while off work, or maybe to just entertain himself.
  • Residence: People mention that he said he lived in NY prior to setting off on his hike. I'm from Upstate NY, and I know when I tell people who live elsewhere in the country that I'm from NY, they automatically assume NYC. I wonder how often this detail has been muddied or complicated when retelling encounters with Ben. FWIW though, I think it's probably likely he worked in NYC just based on his job. If he told people he was "from NY", he could've been talking about his career or where he grew up. For the latter, it's possible that he could be referring to upstate NY and people could've conflated the two.
  • Ex Girlfriend: I believe this to be true. This detail was given to the same individual he told about his abusive father. The fact that he mentioned her makes me believe that it was either a significant relationship or it ended recently. During a conversation so deep, I find it hard to believe that he would bring someone up that he didn't care about or that was in his life many years ago. Perhaps they broke up before he decided to leave, or his decision to leave was influenced by a break-up. The ex GF may not even know he's missing if they ended on bad terms, which would explain why no one reported him.

The Hike
  • Appalachian Trail Thru-hike Registration: AT asks thru hikers to voluntarily register to help them determine the amount of wear and tear to expect on the trails in a given year. I tried looking in the WayBackMachine for their 2017 registry, but didn't have any luck. I'm wondering if someone more savvy than me could try to find this information online. Thru-Hiking

TL;DR: IMO, Ben's dad was in the military. His mom is likely dead. He grew up comfortably middle/upper middle class, but obviously moved around a lot early on. He is an only child. He may have broken up with a long-term girlfriend prior to leaving for the thru-hike. He had every intention of returning to his "real life" after the hike. His death was tragic and accidental.

Last edited:
I have never seen a source for this French-speaking incident. Oddly, I’ve also never seen or read someone who says they paid him to do work on the trail. I worries me that these moments, like the idea he was hiking the trail while he could because of an illness, get locked in as concrete facts of the narrative.

the only real concrete thing we know is they he wrote the name Ben Bilemy and to a lesser extent, the vague things he told people.

I disagree that he didn’t know how emaciated he was. Doesn’t seem possible. Even at 115 pounds he would have looked and felt painfully skinny and weak.

I have never seen a source for this French-speaking incident. Oddly, I’ve also never seen or read someone who says they paid him to do work on the trail. I worries me that these moments, like the idea he was hiking the trail while he could because of an illness, get locked in as concrete facts of the narrative.

the only real concrete thing we know is they he wrote the name Ben Bilemy and to a lesser extent, the vague things he told people.

I disagree that he didn’t know how emaciated he was. Doesn’t seem possible. Even at 115 pounds he would have looked and felt painfully skinny and weak.

I agree completely with the above. And 83 is skeletal. We have autopsy evidence that he was still eating meals though...so there's that, I guess.

The military father theory is interesting, as MH has several qualities that line up with former military and/or military brat. (This doesn't mean I think it is the gospel, but it makes sense for the theory)

His posture stands out a little, to me. There are certain ways he is standing and faces he makes that remind me of military members I knew (I am sure everyone rolls their eyes hearing it, but I was in the Army for over 10 years. I only mention it to add a little credibility to my claim)

He was reportedly doing the hike without GPS, and only using maps. I didn't see the mention of a compass, but any seasoned soldier will always emphasize the importance of having map and compass readily available, checking it frequently to ensure you haven't gone off your intended path, and if you have, readjusting from there. This makes me think that he was taught or learned navigational skills at some point. (A counter agreement could be that if he stuck to the beaten path, it would not be too overly difficult to stay on his intended direction).

A (perhaps unimportant) observation regarding military familiarity is that MH is ALWAYS wearing some kind of headgear. I do not think I have ever seen a picture where he was not wearing his Columbia hat or blue beanie/bandana.

MH also fits the physical description for a military member (and potential vet). He was white, he was between five feet 6 inches tall and five feet 10 inches tall, he was approximately between 150-180 pounds (when healthy). This physical description matches (probably under guessing) 60% of the U.S. Army Ranger Regiment. It is also my physical description.

Could be a brat, but unlikely a vet

Things that contradict MH once being a military member are the lack of tattoos and lack of tobacco product usage (that we know of with perfect teeth). However, I personally have zero tattoos, and I have never had to wear braces. I had one very small cavity, one time, over 10 years ago and I was devastated. I have a very small filling that is not noticeable. I have never used tobacco products, ever.

A big thing that stands out to me to rule him out as a vet is his pack. I have looked at multiple pictures of him wearing it, and it is almost as big as he is. Sure, military members can carry large amounts in their rucksacks/ALICE/MOLLIE etc. The point is, it looked like he had absolutely no idea how to pack his items for maximum space and weight efficiency (on the flip side, I have met soldiers who were in the military for many years and had just as bad packs, one of which was a SSG who had a lawn chair hanging off his pack, with several other items swinging from it :confused:)

Fingerprints is another big one that is mentioned to rule out former military. However, as I stated before, if anyone was going to misfile, lose, forget, accidently throw away, save under the entirely wrong folder, it would be government and military record keeping systems.

Abusive Father

I touched on it before, but I don't 100% buy it. This information was being relayed from interpretation, which can be different from person to person.

One of my favorite stories to tell is how my highly religious father was so upset with me, he took his glasses off and balled his fists up. He turned red, and pounded his head with one of his fists. He leaned forward and challenged me to hit him, saying something to the effect of "COME ON, GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON, COME ON!!! TRY TO HIT ME!!!" (Much like the account about MH, this all happened in our front yard) Some people hear this story and immediately feel deep empathy for me, as if I was traumatized. I was not traumatized at all, and personally I find the entire set of events to be hilarious. In my mind, when this happened, I was thinking to myself "Hell no, I am not going to try to hit him, this dude is mad as hell" :D

1) He continued hiking southbound. This seems the least plausible to me, as also mentioned by Narkj and Vespertine, as the Keys are highly populated, there’s only one main road in and out that he’d have to navigate, and there almost certainly would have been sightings. Vespertine also stated that “Mike” said that he did not show up on any trail cameras south of where he was found (where did this information come from? sorry if I missed it). Also: there were fires in the area.

Mike (the last person who saw MH alive) shared some information in a Facebook group dedicated to naming MH. He says in one of his conversations with the police they told him MH couldn't be seen on any trail cameras south of the I-75. That group is dramaville right now and I'm struggling to find the exact post. I'm not sure if I can post FB comments in here anyway?

Mike (the last person who saw MH alive) shared some information in a Facebook group dedicated to naming MH. He says in one of his conversations with the police they told him MH couldn't be seen on any trail cameras south of the I-75. That group is dramaville right now and I'm struggling to find the exact post. I'm not sure if I can post FB comments in here anyway?

Please PM them to me!

Completely random, and my apologies if this has already been discussed without my realizing it, but has anyone looked up Yelp or similar site reviews for any of the places MH was known to have stopped in? Like the pizza place and hostel in Damascus, VA?

Interesting thought!

I had thought about reviews for the Brooks-Range tent, Solomon shoes, etc. The reviews for specific places could be more early searched by using the times and dates he was there.

More details to come next week, but we are going to work with law enforcement to help with DNA testing for this case. We hope that a genealogical profile might help identify him.

More details to come next week, but we are going to work with law enforcement to help with DNA testing for this case. We hope that a genealogical profile might help identify him.

That sounds great! Excuse me for asking but who are "we"?
Here is some information on Othram.

Othram - Justice Through Genomics

Othram, it’s super exciting to have you on the case!

You might consider becoming a verified user on the forum!

Thank you! Hopes up, fingers crossed.

Mostly Harmless had pen and paper yet chose to not write down his name or information about his journey.

He did not want anyone to know who he is in my opinion.

How very sad and lonely for him. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member