Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the info used at NAMUS is usually inputted by LE.

In the case of this missing person, NAMUS lists the "Date of Last Contact" as May 10, 2020.

Regarding the circumstances of the disappearance it states that she "went missing on 5/10/2020 while on a bicycle ride on County Road 225 and West Highway 50"

Of the four images on NAMUS, one involves the missing person in bike gear, including a helmet.

IMO LE attempts to put the most accurate info possible on NAMUS.

IMO all the facts produced by LE indicate the person went missing on MD and the bike ride is a factor in the case.

It could be that after cancer, she cut ties with a lot of people? with my mom I noticed a lot of her "friends" werent that helpful? I dont know how to explain it. There were a lot of friends that just dropped off. It might be that also it's hard to be a friend to other people. I dont know I just mean that sometimes there is a thinning out of friends.
I'm just gonna say it. She could have let friends drop away because BM and his attitudes and behaviors were painfully embarrassing. As always, speculation, moo.

My #1 theory is a stalking, targeting SM. This does somewhat fit w/ in the victim continuum risk assessment. SM is basically a low risk victim , until you throw in the long solo bike rides. I haven’t watched the videos,lately, so allow me to to just say this is a working theory.

However, I try not to have tunnel vision, so I do attempt to be open to other members’ posts.
@kay74 does bring up some interesting points. The one that caught my attention was her drifter from out of state.
Most of us remember the days before national data bases, and how criminals used this to their advantage, Ted Bundy comes to mind.
I’ve assumed the FBI does oversee the interstate cases, and I am sure there is more sharing of info between different jurisdictions than in the not so good old days.
Before I put the totally random stranger abduction, on the back burner, I pursued similar cases, utilizing the Charley Project, simply because I was more familiar with it. My intention was to next go to NAMUS, Jane Doe, but it is time consuming. 20 + states and paused.
I discovered many old cold cases similar to SMs, so the event is NOT as rare as we would like it to be. I found some of the saddest stories, of other disappearances.
I did narrow it down to current similar cases.
One stands out for me, I’ll try to hit the high points and my memory may be imperfect but close enough for working theory.
Holly Alcott White, Taos New Mexico, 52 years old?, 2017. She and her husband were in process of moving, husband and she talked the night before, by phone. He was already at their new location.
She vanished on day she was to leave town, her car was located in parking lot of Royal Gorge Bridge, a landmark and tourist attraction.
Husband, of course was primary suspect, and eventually cleared, although it took time.
Her physical resemblance to SM is interesting. Further she would have been low risk as we conclude SM is.
However, several things may have changed that. She was leaving a position, that may have been publicized, giving her higher visibility, more risk.
She also may have been getting rid of things, due to the move, and that could factor in.
Total random predator, could fit in with someone who is using tourist areas to blend in and “stalk” victims. RVs blend in smoothly in these areas. It’s also important to note the proximity of these two cases, if this is a regionally based predator...

There is a third case, but I need to refresh my memory on that case, suffice it to say, for now, this lady disappeared in CO.
IMO our case involves someone more locally based, acquainted with Suzanne, who has been stalking her or the daughters for a while.
Statistically MOO, is that majority of cold cases are those committed by people so far down on the suspect list, they get overlooked, or they were never on it.

I am not by any means trying to imply SMs case IS a cold case, by no means or definition. I AM saying that reviewing cold cases can be helpful in solving current cases, and solving current cases sometimes leads to solving cold cases. DNA can be a remarkable tool.

I wonder how many weekends he commonly worked. I also wonder whether he has staff or is he just successful enough to own millions in homes because he's doing the work of 10 men solo. It's not unheard of to go to job sites, but probably not alone. Isn't he in landscaping? These days just getting your lawn mowed has 3 guys showing up with equipment in a trailer. If mothers day isnt important to him, it would be to staff.

Has he said what type of job in Denver?

This was part of the reason I was asking if we knew whether he regularly worked away, also because if this was a frequent weekend thing, a
My #1 theory is a stalking, targeting SM. This does somewhat fit w/ in the victim continuum risk assessment. SM is basically a low risk victim , until you throw in the long solo bike rides. I haven’t watched the videos,lately, so allow me to to just say this is a working theory.

However, I try not to have tunnel vision, so I do attempt to be open to other members’ posts.
@kay74 does bring up some interesting points. The one that caught my attention was her drifter from out of state.
Most of us remember the days before national data bases, and how criminals used this to their advantage, Ted Bundy comes to mind.
I’ve assumed the FBI does oversee the interstate cases, and I am sure there is more sharing of info between different jurisdictions than in the not so good old days.
Before I put the totally random stranger abduction, on the back burner, I pursued similar cases, utilizing the Charley Project, simply because I was more familiar with it. My intention was to next go to NAMUS, Jane Doe, but it is time consuming. 20 + states and paused.
I discovered many old cold cases similar to SMs, so the event is NOT as rare as we would like it to be. I found some of the saddest stories, of other disappearances.
I did narrow it down to current similar cases.
One stands out for me, I’ll try to hit the high points and my memory may be imperfect but close enough for working theory.
Holly Alcott White, Taos New Mexico, 52 years old?, 2017. She and her husband were in process of moving, husband and she talked the night before, by phone. He was already at their new location.
She vanished on day she was to leave town, her car was located in parking lot of Royal Gorge Bridge, a landmark and tourist attraction.
Husband, of course was primary suspect, and eventually cleared, although it took time.
Her physical resemblance to SM is interesting. Further she would have been low risk as we conclude SM is.
However, several things may have changed that. She was leaving a position, that may have been publicized, giving her higher visibility, more risk.
She also may have been getting rid of things, due to the move, and that could factor in.
Total random predator, could fit in with someone who is using tourist areas to blend in and “stalk” victims. RVs blend in smoothly in these areas. It’s also important to note the proximity of these two cases, if this is a regionally based predator...

There is a third case, but I need to refresh my memory on that case, suffice it to say, for now, this lady disappeared in CO.
IMO our case involves someone more locally based, acquainted with Suzanne, who has been stalking her or the daughters for a while.
Statistically MOO, is that majority of cold cases are those committed by people so far down on the suspect list, they get overlooked, or they were never on it.

I am not by any means trying to imply SMs case IS a cold case, by no means or definition. I AM saying that reviewing cold cases can be helpful in solving current cases, and solving current cases sometimes leads to solving cold cases. DNA can be a remarkable tool.

I believe there is the possibility of someone who was familiar with her that may be involved, which is why I asked earlier whether we knew the husband working away was a regular thing, this would give the familiar person plenty of chances to learn SM's routines etc. and act upon their urges

It’s just my opinion, but there is a reason that Suzanne’s family is silent. They aren’t searching for her because they know she is deceased. Suzanne’s loved one’s must have information on the investigation that we do not.

Yep! The exact same reason why TN went from being talkative to extremely quiet, literally overnight. They found something out as a family. JMO.

It could be that after cancer, she cut ties with a lot of people? with my mom I noticed a lot of her "friends" werent that helpful? I dont know how to explain it. There were a lot of friends that just dropped off. It might be that also it's hard to be a friend to other people. I dont know I just mean that sometimes there is a thinning out of friends.

Some people do have a hard time interacting with a person who is ill with what could be a terminal illness. They don't know what to say or have a tendency to ignore the issue which can be seen as minimizing the illness. It ends up isolating the person who is ill and makes it difficult for them to talk about their fears and hopes for the future. I worked with a woman who couldn't even say something like "I'm sorry for your loss." She'd avoid someone like the plague if she knew they'd just lost a relative.

A new filing* in the guardianship case filed in Hamilton Superior 1 (here in Indiana) gives me further doubt about a financial motive to harm Suzanne on Barry's part, at least with respect to any assets in Indiana. The inventory shows that the joint assets of Suzanne and Barry total $300,000, which consists wholly of land in Hamilton County. No stocks, bonds, bank accounts, or interests in any businesses are listed. While $300K is not a small sum, the property was apparently owned jointly by Barry & Suzanne, so it was not her separate property; Barry already had a legal right to the land. Additionally, the inventory does not spell out whether the property has any liens on it (obviously, any liens on the property would lessen any financial motive, as the net equity of the property would be less).

* I'm assuming that -- since (1) the guardianship inventory is a public record, (2) is signed under penalty of perjury, and (3) the originating legal action -- the guardianship petition -- has been discussed widely in the MSM & on WS, mentioning it would not be considered sleuthing Barry Morphew. As previously discussed, Barry's lawyer could land in some serious trouble if she filed anything that she knew was untrue, so she provides an added safeguard to the authenticity of the inventory. If anything, the inventory -- being signed under penalty of perjury -- has even more credibility than the unsworn statements made by police, friends, or neighbors that have been cited by the MSM and on WS.
This is just one property. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a case by case filing.
It states that there are no liens on the property.
I also don't think the 300K represents the value of the property today. I could be completely wrong.

Thanks for this, @TxGidget. Very different descriptions in the two attacks, but eyewitnesses are notoriously bad when it comes to describing suspects. I would be interested to see apparent motive in these attacks. Since we’ve been following the SM case, we are going to jump right to the attack of the woman on a bike on a trail. Sounds familiar.
However, did this attacker have a vehicle nearby? Was the sole purpose of the attack to hit the woman and knock her off her bike? Then what? Steal the bike? Drag her off somewhere to murder and rape her? The victimology is similar, but until we know a little more, we can’t really connect the attackers’ profiles. MOO

My personal theory is that it was something instantly identifiable as belonging to or with Suzanne. No idea of what it would be, though.
Agree, my guess is her phone. The only reason I say that is it would be easily identifiable. If LE won't disclose what it was it narrows down the options. They would need a family member to identify any jewelry, or clothing. IMO

I don't really know of a single mom though that doesnt want some recognition on mothers day though. Especially since her and her daughters seemed close.

This year, because of Covid, many mothers' recognition came via a phone call (and a card sent through the US mail). Just because the public doesn't see it, doesn't mean recognition isn't happening. Although personally I believe SM was likely gone by May 10th.

Yes, we know from the guardianship petition that (1) there was already a signed contract to sell the property and (2) if closing did not occur, the Morphews would be in breach of contract. The closing had to occur, and a guardianship was the only vehicle available in Indiana law to ensure that it could legally happen.

Exactly.

IMO there may be a 1031 going on as well, which means there was significant planning and consulting regarding these transactions.

This year, because of Covid, many mothers' recognition came via a phone call (and a card sent through the US mail). Just because the public doesn't see it, doesn't mean recognition isn't happening. Although personally I believe SM was likely gone by May 10th.

I realize that. My point was more that she would likely talk on the phone to her daughters and/or mother in law which would confirm her being alive on mothers day. I haven't heard any confirmation of people speaking to her at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, my guess is her phone. The only reason I say that is it would be easily identifiable. If LE won't disclose what it was it narrows down the options. They would need a family member to identify any jewelry, or clothing. IMO

From the pictures I have seen, she appears to wear very little jewelry, but what she wears is of high quality. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some items are engraved with her initials and a date, next to the jeweler's mark. IMO

I hope it was her phone. Based on whether the phone was off or on, LE would be able to retrieve the movement of the phone: day/time/where. If the phone had been turned off that would be apparent too because it would not have connected to a cell tower. If the phone had been turned off, say, May 9th at night, that would be a clue.

IMO

I realize that. My point was more that she would likely talk on the phone to her daughters and/or mother in law which would confirm her being alive on mothers day. I haven't heard any confirmation of people speaking to her at all
We haven't been given confirmation of that or much of anything. I don't think we will be given that info until the case gets litigated in court (assuming it will at some point). IMO

I do understand what you are saying, there are all sort of reasons, some kind, some clueless. MOO based on my mother living w/ us, not cancer. I think friendships require effort, and time . Someone who is fighting cancer uses these resources in the cancer fight.
True friends understand this, they make less demands in the friendship, patiently waiting for their friend to heal, offering support, expecting nothing.
I’ve observed in my recent years, many of the friends are out there fighting their own, or family members illness. It may seem that they have deserted you, when actually they have their own issues.
We have a couple in our church who are battling w/ her second serious bout. They moved here after the first.
He keeps her Facebook current and her prayer warriors well informed, he does a wonderful job! His wife focuses on her battle.
SM May have done the same thing. focusing on the battle, some people are private at these times. We now know her 2nd bout had only recently ended. The move may have interrupted her resumption of these activities with friends.
It’s certainly possibly her friends may not feel qualified to speak about her situation, possibly due to the distancing cancer creates.
IMO the move, cancer treatment, and covid, have impacted the information we usually are given.

Another possibility is the case, as far as LE has approached it , had gone flat and the recent activity was part of a reboot of an investigation that wasn't turning up much. Meanwhile the public is being mushroomed (kept in dark and fed little) by LE and the families.

This was part of the reason I was asking if we knew whether he regularly worked away, also because if this was a frequent weekend thing, a

I believe there is the possibility of someone who was familiar with her that may be involved, which is why I asked earlier whether we knew the husband working away was a regular thing, this would give the familiar person plenty of chances to learn SM's routines etc. and act upon their urges

No, we don’t have any info on his schedule, unfortunately. I agree with you, but this person could have had very little actual interaction with the Ms, simply hearing them discuss the camping trip, tho this is less likely with the covid isolation.
One of my theories involves surveillance from the nearby RV park. There are trails from there thru the woods connected to 225. sort of wrapping around the Morphew property.
I agree with you, this person was somewhat familiar with the family. I posted earlier, stalker could have seen girls leaving on camping trip, and then intensified his spying, seen BM getting ready for Denver night before, and taken advantage. IMO it was not entirely a spur of the moment event, there was at least minimal advance planning. Welcome!

No, we don’t have any info on his schedule, unfortunately. I agree with you, but this person could have had very little actual interaction with the Ms, simply hearing them discuss the camping trip, tho this is less likely with the covid isolation.
One of my theories involves surveillance from the nearby RV park. There are trails from there thru the woods connected to 225. sort of wrapping around the Morphew property.
I agree with you, this person was somewhat familiar with the family. I posted earlier, stalker could have seen girls leaving on camping trip, and then intensified his spying, seen BM getting ready for Denver night before, and taken advantage. IMO it was not entirely a spur of the moment event, there was at least minimal advance planning. Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow