Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Naya Rivera: Ex-husband, family members swim lake in search of missing ‘Glee’ star, who vanished after weekday boating trip

Josey, whose father is Dorsey, told investigators they had planned to swim in the lake together but that she never returned to the boat. Search crews have included divers, drones, helicopters, and even cadaver dogs. Poor visibility in the lake has hampered search efforts.

Unlike natural lakes in the area, he said, Piru Creek creates a current flowing down out of the canyon in the lake, while winds kicking up most often blow in the opposite direction, at times creating harsh conditions, although Lake Piru Recreation Area along the western shore is a popular area for boating, fishing, swimming, and camping.

Ventura Co. Sheriff @VENTURASHERIFF
25m

Today's search for Naya Rivera has concluded. The operation will continue Monday morning.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

In the video of Naya and Josey walking from the truck toward the dock, there are 2 people on the dock that she would have to walk by. The video cuts and we see nothing until it starts again when they are at the boat.

As Naya and Josey are at the boat, there are 2 people there who leave when Naya's boat leaves the dock. Those two people then walk back to the same spot they were on the dock earlier when Naya initially would have walked by them.

https://www.1011now.com/video/2020/07/10/security-video-glee-actress-naya-rivera-renting-boat-with-her-son-before-she-disappeared/

Good morning! I’ve been following this since day 1 and been hoping for a good outcome and initially thought she just drowned by accident but now I feel like there is a possibility that a worker decided to meet up with her on the water or a fan or someone that liked her decided to take her for themselves. You would assume she drowned if someone took her leaving just her son behind on the boat and since she has not yet been found after searching 5 days it is a possibility. It is possible a boat or jet ski came up to their boat and she has no choice but to go with that person or persons. The only good thing about this possibility is the hope that she is still alive. I recognize that this possibility is pretty slim glimmer of
hope but it is possible given who she was. I hope that there is some new updates today and they find her. I feel so bad for her family and her son.

I don't think anyone else is involved in this. The poor little boy saw his mum disappear into the water and not come back, I believe what he said. Hopefully she will be found soon to give her family some sort of closure.

Good morning! I’ve been following this since day 1 and been hoping for a good outcome and initially thought she just drowned by accident but now I feel like there is a possibility that a worker decided to meet up with her on the water or a fan or someone that liked her decided to take her for themselves. You would assume she drowned if someone took her leaving just her son behind on the boat and since she has not yet been found after searching 5 days it is a possibility. It is possible a boat or jet ski came up to their boat and she has no choice but to go with that person or persons. The only good thing about this possibility is the hope that she is still alive. I recognize that this possibility is pretty slim glimmer of
hope but it is possible given who she was. I hope that there is some new updates today and they find her. I feel so bad for her family and her son.

I think if this was the case little Josey would have said 'Mama got on a jetski/another boat' he's nearly 5 he was able to tell the police that she went in and didn't come back up.
My little girl is almost exactly the same age as Josey and I'm sure she'd have been able to tell exactly what happened in her own words.

Last edited:
From the article I posted above this is the divers theory of what happened which I'm pretty sure people on WS theorized too.

“What I suspect is that the winds kicked up,” he said. “Those pontoon boats are very light, and when you push them, it can get away from you. She might’ve tried to swim after the boat. But that’s all speculation. Once we do locate her, that’ll answer a lot more questions.”

Great article and a solid theory. For those mentioning the two different versions we’ve heard of Josey’s account - that me and mommy were swimming and that mommy jumped in the water and didn’t get back on the boat/ come back up, it’s possible both are true. Maybe Naya and Josey were swimming and both got back on the boat. At this point Naya removed her life jacket but then something made her jump back in the water - maybe she realised her necklace with Josey’s name on it had fallen off and she decided to try and quick dive under to find it. Naya forgets that the boat is unanchored now and jumps back in then either succumbs to an injury/ is trapped in the water by debris or swims after the boat but can’t make it back. Josey may have just thought mommy was swimming and didn’t pick up on any panic, as per previous posters who explained how drowning can be silent. These explanations are much more likely than making it to shore or foul play. I trust the divers knowledge.

That's a valid question for sure. I get the impression it is purely an accident, but like you mention, who knows yet! I do think it is an odd situation for a young mother to go on a boat with a toddler alone, and it didn't look like many people were around i.e. L.A. beach waters. But according to news reports, she often went to that lake as a peaceful place to go to, so it sounds like she had experience with boats. Tragic!
I wouldn't call a 5 year old a toddler. Encyclopedia Brittanica defines a toddler as a child who is between 12 and 36 months old (1 to 3 years old), as does the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC considers children who are ages 3 to 5 years old to be preschoolers.

Today marks 7 years that Cory Monteith passed away. I'd like to point out that Cory Monteith was on Glee. Naya was devastated when he passed away as they were good friends. Imagine if Naya is found on this day. Prayers up that today is the day they find her. Help us find her Cory. <3

I don't think anyone else is involved in this. The poor little boy saw his mum disappear into the water and not come back, I believe what he said. Hopefully she will be found soon to give her family some sort of closure.
BBM
Did he say she disappeared into the water?
I had only heard he said she didn't come back out of the water.
Poor little guy.

Let's go with your speculation there could have been foul play for a moment.
While my #1 speculation is exactly how it's been reported; (she went in the water and didn't come back up - likely tangled in something), I do think all possibilities should be considered.

As such, I would have taken a blood test on the little one to see if there were any sedatives in his system. While it makes sense to me that a little one out on the water might take a nap (warm weather makes us dozy and the water can lull us), it does peak my interest. I would certainly have looked for any signs of sedatives, and checked residue in any containers.

While this sounds a bit far fetched, it can quickly help eliminate any speculation about this being anything other than a tragic accident.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Also possible that the little dude was feeling queasy and mom gave him some gravol. That might also make him sleepy.

I assume you would both wear life jackets. I'm just saying that personally I would not feel comfortable enough to go out in a boat in deeper water with a young child, particularly since I am not a strong swimmer. I would feel better doing so from shore in shallow water.
Even when boating with my husband and our kids I always wear my life jacket. It's just good safety practice and it sets a good example for my kids.

No disrespect, but if you’re a parent of a kid aged anywhere from birth-10 years old, you pretty much go on any planned excursion with a bag weighing more than your own self. Towels, changes of clothing, a lunch bag, a cooler, a beach bag with toys, sunscreen, bug spray, phone charger, etc.

I don’t find the enormous bag suspicious at all...I find it relatable! I think she probably just arrived equipped for a day on the water with her son, plus extras of clothes and towels and lunch and plenty of snacks and fluids.
JMHO

When I was a nanny for my friend’s kids one summer, I would bring water and snacks just to take them to the playground. I would have packed the whole apartment if we went to the lake.

I've read that a few times, here's one source
"Naya Rivera's four-year-old son told police he saw his mother "disappear beneath the water" at the California lake where she is feared to have drowned."

Naya Rivera’s four-year-old son 'saw her disappear beneath the water'
When they find her body, not if but i pray when they find her it will tell the story. If she tied something around her self and told the little man she's going swimming to stay put or someone hit her, has her, or she accidently got tangled any and everything should come to light..

When I was a nanny for my friend’s kids one summer, I would bring water and snacks just to take them to the playground. I would have packed the whole apartment if we went to the lake.
Right? I always overpack. I think it's such a hassle when I get home and have to unpack all the extra stuff I packed. Lol. Then I do it again the next time!

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

In the video of Naya and Josey walking from the truck toward the dock, there are 2 people on the dock that she would have to walk by. The video cuts and we see nothing until it starts again when they are at the boat.

As Naya and Josey are at the boat, there are 2 people there who leave when Naya's boat leaves the dock. Those two people then walk back to the same spot they were on the dock earlier when Naya initially would have walked by them.

https://www.1011now.com/video/2020/07/10/security-video-glee-actress-naya-rivera-renting-boat-with-her-son-before-she-disappeared/

In the uncut video, it looks (to me) like a person with a dog is standing by the canopy/rental area.* As NR approaches the rental canopy, he walks off to the left, clearing the way for her. While NR is at the canopy, the man walks his dog farther down the pier, then, when NR and the marina employee* head that way, he again allows them room to pass. While the employee is getting NR &J set up with their boat, the man & dog leave the pier, get in a golf cart and drive away. The employee returns to the canopy, and NR's boat heads out to the lake.

It makes me think marina staff knew this man, or even if they didn't, he would've been easy to identify/track down by LE. MOO

*"Rental area" and "employee" are assumptions on my part based on the video; I don't know that they've been identified as such by LE.

https://twitter.com/VENTURASHERIFF/status/1281376337106616320.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back