Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHITING — The mayor of Whiting, Indiana is shutting down popular Whihala Beach on Lake Michigan.

Mayor Joe Stahura says it's a public safety decision. The beach has been attracting large crowds and Stahura says social distancing requirement are difficult to comply with. The amount of sand area is also reduced due to Lake Michigan's high water levels.

Popular Indiana beach ordered closed due to COVID-19 concerns

One in Three Young Adults at Risk of Severe Coronavirus Infections, Study Finds

Adults 18 to 44 years old made up just 2% of coronavirus deaths from February to May, while people 65 and above represented nearly 80%.

But certain factors that can put anyone at risk of serious illness, regardless of age. A new study determined that one in three young adults ages 18 to 25 are vulnerable to severe COVID-19 cases.

Patients were considered vulnerable if they had least one risk factor, including a smoking habit or chronic illness like heart disease, diabetes, asthma, obesity, autoimmune disease, or liver problems.

The researchers discovered that smoking was by far the most prevalent risk factor for people in their late teens and 20s. Of the roughly 8,400 young adults in the study, around 25% said they had smoked tobacco, e-cigarettes, or cigars in the last 30 days.

By contrast, only about 16% reported having a chronic illness. Asthma was by far the most common: Around 9% of young adults reported that they were asthmatic. That's compared to around 12% who said they'd smoked tobacco in the last 30 days and around 7% who said they'd used e-cigarettes.

The findings came just days after the World Health Organisation warned about the link between smoking and severe coronavirus cases.

People ages 18 to 29 make up more than four times as many coronavirus hospitalizations as they did a few months ago: around 38 hospitalizations out of every 100,000 people as of July 4, compared to nine hospitalizations out of every 100,000 people on April 18.

Baby boy infected with coronavirus in womb

Doctors in France have reported what they believe to be the first proven case of Covid-19 being passed on from a pregnant woman to her baby in the womb.

The newborn boy developed inflammation in the brain within days of being born, a condition brought on after the virus crossed the placenta and established an infection prior to birth. He has since made a good recovery.

The case study, published in Nature Communications, follows the birth of a number of babies with Covid-19 who doctors suspect contracted the virus in the womb. Until now, they have not been able to rule out the possibility that the babies were infected during or soon after delivery.
I guess as it is a respiratory infection, they can get infected as soon as they take their first breath. I remember seeing the newborn babies in China with their tiny face shields. Do we have similar pics of US and UK babies in maternity units?

43 coronavirus cases have been linked to one large house party in Michigan - CNN

(CNN)Forty-three new coronavirus cases have been linked to a large house party from early July in Washtenaw County, Michigan, according to health officials.

Most of the new cases are young people between the ages of 15 and 25, the Washtenaw County Health Department said in a press release Monday.
It is believed that the party took place between July 2 and 3, and health officials are now asking anyone who attended the party to self quarantine and monitor themselves for symptoms of the virus for 14 days.
There were an additional 66 people who are believed to have had face-to-face contact with a confirmed case. That number does not include family members who are immediate household contacts of the newly identified cases, the release said.

Very informative COVID-19 response assessment from world renowned doctor Larry Brilliant. He's the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox in the 1970s.

Larry Brilliant on How Well We Are Fighting Covid-19

(He was an advisor for the movie “Contagion”, and toured with the Grateful Dead it seems :) )

From the above link:

“It has happened, absent one player: the United States of America. We are not in these meetings.

Because we pulled out of the World Health Organization?

We haven’t pulled out of the World Health Organization. [laughs] It’s not even clear how you pull out of the World Health Organization. Distancing ourselves is probably a better word. It just makes us look like clowns. WHO is stronger than ever. The rest of the world has rallied to its side. The Trump Administration was not in the meetings where WHO was raising $8 to $12 billion just to help plan for the vaccination program. America’s money has been replaced by other countries donating it. And with it will come the inevitable soft power that comes with funding.“

Last edited:
Hong Kong braces for toughest ever coronavirus curbs: Live

12:45 GMT - Philippines to use police in house-to-house searches for COVID-19 cases
Philippine authorities and police will carry out house-to-house searches for COVID-19 patients to prevent wider transmission, a minister has said, amid soaring death and infection numbers and some areas returning to a stricter lockdown.

Interior Minister Eduardo Ano urged the public to report cases in their neighbourhoods, warning that anyone infected who refused to cooperate faced imprisonment.

Here's another, for California that now has had most businesses shut down again today.
California has a population of over 39.5 million people.
As of today, according to The Los Angeles times, we have 333,356 people positive for COVID-19.
39.5 million people, divided by 333,356. equals a positive infection rate of 0.0084393924.
Assuming, the undiagnosed is at 2%, that would equate to 790,000.
Meaning that 98% of California's citizens still wouldn't have COVID-19.
Now, ask, how many people are going to lose their small businesses which make up 85% of revenue for this country?
I'm going to guess, minimally, 45% due to this latest shutdown announced today (with no end date given).
I am happy to engage in any personal discussions.

This has left me scratching my head.

Of the 333,356 positive cases in California, how many were a customer of yours in the past? How many of those that have died in California were a customer at one time or another?

I then thought of plane loads of people. Using 737 Max as an example, with a seating capacity of about 200 people, it would take 1,667 flights having an accident to injure 333,356 people. Yet after 2 flights with an accident, this type of plane was grounded worldwide. Only 346 souls were lost, leaving only 54 potentially injured.

The positive cases and injured people will leave many with debilitating health issues among other things for years to come. Those that died left behind loved ones possibly in dire financial straits. It's tough all around.

Jmo.

Hong Kong braces for toughest ever coronavirus curbs: Live

02:30 GMT - Mystery of Argentine sailors who caught virus while at sea
Argentina is trying to solve the mystery of how 57 sailors managed to come down with COVID-19 while they were at sea even though all had tested negative and spent 14 days in quarantine in a hotel before the voyage began.

The health ministry for the southern province of Tierra del Fuego says the fishing trawler is now back in port after 35 days at sea, with 57 of the 61 crew diagnosed with the virus after a new test. Two are now in hospital.

A team is trying to establish the "chronology of contagion" among the crew. "An incubation period this long has not been described anywhere," said Leandro Ballatore, head of the infectious diseases department at Ushuaia Regional Hospital.

WHO warns coronavirus crisis could worsen: Live updates

12:37 GMT - Sri Lanka shuts schools again
Just one week after Sri Lanka started easing restrictions, the government ordered the closure of schools across the nation due to a surge in new cases.

"Based on the direction of health authorities, it is decided to close schools this week," the education ministry said in a statement, adding that private colleges were also encouraged to shut their doors.

"We will review the situation next week."

Quarantine loopholes bring fresh efforts to fight outbreaks | Xfinity

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — An Australian state is toughening its punishments for anyone caught violating coronavirus quarantines, including jailing rule breakers for up to six months — a warning that follows rising virus cases worldwide and violations of restrictions that are now being further tightened.

The current set of fines for breaking a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine for some visitors or lying about their whereabouts “appears not to be enough" in some cases, Queensland state Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.

With higher fines and a threat of six months’ imprisonment, "I hope that will demonstrate to the public just how serious we are about enforcing these measures,” Miles said...

Delta posts massive Q2 earnings loss, crushed by 'truly staggering' coronavirus crisis

Delta Air Lines (DAL) reported a steep plunge in second quarter revenues and profit, as the COVID-19 pandemic hammering the travel industry ravaged the company’s bottom line.

With worldwide travel demand crushed by the coronavirus pandemic, Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in a statement that the quarter’s results “illustrates the truly staggering impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business.”

Over the last year, the company lost over $11 billion in revenue, but raised nearly $15 billion in financing — which includes $5.4 billion in loans and grants from the U.S. Treasury under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. In return, Delta agreed not to furlough employees, if necessary, until October 1.

The air carrier posted total adjusted revenue of $1.2 billion, representing a staggering 91% dive from the comparable year-ago period, as Delta was forced to shave capacity by 85%. Even still, the company intends to join other air carriers by spending more on anti-coronavirus cleaning protocols.

Meanwhile, passenger traffic was down 93% in Q2 versus the comparable year-ago period. As a result, Delta intends to retire its fleet of MD 88, MD 90, 777 and 737-700 aircraft.

Baby boy infected with coronavirus in womb

Doctors in France have reported what they believe to be the first proven case of Covid-19 being passed on from a pregnant woman to her baby in the womb.

The newborn boy developed inflammation in the brain within days of being born, a condition brought on after the virus crossed the placenta and established an infection prior to birth. He has since made a good recovery.

The case study, published in Nature Communications, follows the birth of a number of babies with Covid-19 who doctors suspect contracted the virus in the womb. Until now, they have not been able to rule out the possibility that the babies were infected during or soon after delivery.

Nothing should surprise us anymore about this evil virus--- nothing.

6 Places You’re Most Likely to Catch Coronavirus

6 places you are most likely to catch coronavirus--
of note, hair salons are not on this list and yet one of the first things governors close are hair salons and i don't get it

My hairdresser is SO good with the hygeine of her salon. Sterilises all surfaces between clients. No overlapping of clients. She is likely not making a huge profit, but her intention is to stay in business and not catch the virus. She has two little children and wants the best for them. It is a very safe and secure feeling being attended by her.

Last edited:
Quarantine loopholes bring fresh efforts to fight outbreaks | Xfinity

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — An Australian state is toughening its punishments for anyone caught violating coronavirus quarantines, including jailing rule breakers for up to six months — a warning that follows rising virus cases worldwide and violations of restrictions that are now being further tightened.

The current set of fines for breaking a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine for some visitors or lying about their whereabouts “appears not to be enough" in some cases, Queensland state Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.

With higher fines and a threat of six months’ imprisonment, "I hope that will demonstrate to the public just how serious we are about enforcing these measures,” Miles said...

Perhaps people in Michigan who call the governor Hitler should read this --- all the governor has done is mandate/order people wear masks when they are in places like a supermarket----of course the reason she has to mandate this is because morons refuse to wear masks, thereby putting us all at risk.

Philly canceling all large events until 2021, including the Mummers; Pa. warns pattern of coronavirus infections is repeating

Philadelphia officials will announce today that all large, public events through the end of February will not be permitted.

The expected announcement means officials will not allow some of the city’s most iconic events to proceed, including the Mummers Parade, the Thanksgiving Day parade and fall races like the Broad Street Run, which had already been rescheduled to October.

A city spokesperson said more details will be shared at a 1 p.m. news conference about mitigating the spread of COVID-19.

Philly canceling all large events until 2021, including the Mummers; Pa. warns pattern of coronavirus infections is repeating

Philadelphia officials will announce today that all large, public events through the end of February will not be permitted.

The expected announcement means officials will not allow some of the city’s most iconic events to proceed, including the Mummers Parade, the Thanksgiving Day parade and fall races like the Broad Street Run, which had already been rescheduled to October.

A city spokesperson said more details will be shared at a 1 p.m. news conference about mitigating the spread of COVID-19.

I think officials are being somewhat proactive: they don't want Philly to turn into Florida, Texas or Arizona.

This has left me scratching my head.

Of the 333,356 positive cases in California, how many were a customer of yours in the past? How many of those that have died in California were a customer at one time or another?

I then thought of plane loads of people. Using 737 Max as an example, with a seating capacity of about 200 people, it would take 1,667 flights having an accident to injure 333,356 people. Yet after 2 flights with an accident, this type of plane was grounded worldwide. Only 346 souls were lost, leaving only 54 potentially injured.

The positive cases and injured people will leave many with debilitating health issues among other things for years to come. Those that died left behind loved ones possibly in dire financial straits. It's tough all around.

Jmo.
I seriously think it comes down to one basic thought – how much are you willing to jeopardize another human’s life to serve your own needs?

As many of you have deducted, I am very “hard core” about each of our own responsibility. The only way to protect others is to stay home unless essential travel is needed, keep your distance, stay masked outside of your own home, wash hands obsessively and sanitize anything with possibility of bringing in the virus. Playing the odds, doing math to negate the risk is all self-serving in my opinion.

Once we emerge, life will have changed as we knew it before this pandemic. Hopes, dreams, financial plans will have been destroyed for many. Businesses will need to re-brand and rebuild from the ground up. To me – that is one place governmental aid should prioritize. In helping businesses rebuild after we’ve emerged. Why isn’t this being discussed and promoted? Instead of pussy footing around and tip toeing on too many political issues, why aren’t we subsidizing and supporting and offering $ to businesses that will shut down for a period of time to slow the spread? To me in my simple reasoning – it would be cost effective and save lives.

Obviously, the trial of momentarily shutting down and re-opening in phases hasn’t succeeded for most areas. IF we want to emerge and rebuild – we must backtrack and try another approach. Putting others lives at risk for our own purpose and often, our own pleasure, doesn’t seem to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288