California Wildfires 2019

California fires: San Bernardino homes are burning, and strong winds threaten to stoke other blazes - CNN

Two more have broken out overnight. The Hillside Fire in San Bernardino and the 46 Fire in Jurupa Valley.

News just reported the 46 fire was started after a suspect drive into a field after a police chase early this morning and caught the field on fire. Also saying it isn't terrain driven but wind driven as it's in a heavily populated area and is being driven by embers being blown around.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of the new fire in SB...that's why it's SO smoky here this morning...I'm trying to stay inside with everything closed up because it's pretty bad.

Two fast-moving wildfires explode in Southern California - live updates

“Latest updates:

Kincade Fire in Northern California: 76,825 acres burned; 60% contained

Easy Fire in Southern California: 1,723 acres burned; 10% contained

Getty Fire in Southern California: 745 acres burned; 39% contained

The Hillside Fire and the 46 Fire broke out early Thursday morning

About 53,000 homes and businesses are still affected by Pacific Gas & Electric's power shutoff after it cut electricity to millions of people in an effort to prevent new blazes”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/31/us...es-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/
Prison inmates are fighting California's fires, but are often denied firefighting jobs after their release

“Prisoners on the front lines

California employs about 3,100 inmates as part of the state's Conservation Camp program, which provides critical support to state and federal agencies responding to emergencies such as wildfires, floods and other disasters. About 2,150 of those inmates are authorized to fight fires.“

—-

No rain in sight for L.A. area for next few weeks; critical fire weather warnings extended

“The unusually long Santa Ana wind event is expected to ease Thursday evening. And with it, the fire risk will be reduced as well.

But there is little good news on the horizon, with with forecasters seeing little chance of rain in the next few weeks.”

—-

California fires: Health tips for residents who are escaping the flames

—-

For Some California Residents, Latest Wildfires Are A Tipping Point

“Tens of thousands of people are still under mandatory evacuation in Northern California. Some have endured wildfires, smoke, floods, blackouts and evacuations many times before. Even though the state's population is predicted to top 40 million this year, some wonder whether California is the dream they had hoped for.“

Last edited:
California air quality map: Fires impacting air quality in SoCal

——

Wildfire smoke hovers, then clears, over Southern California. Expect more of the same Friday

—-

Fires rage as Southern California grapples with ‘extreme red flag’ weather conditions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/31/california-fires-map-adds-san-bernardino-hill-fire/

“Several fires burned across Southern California on Thursday, forcing evacuations and torching homes, while forecasters warned of more dangerously dry and windy weather.”

——

California wildfires: Homes burn in San Bernardino and strong winds threaten to stoke other blazes
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/31/us/california-fires-thursday/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

“With gusts stronger than 50 mph expected in some areas, more than 17 million people in the state's southern half are under red flag warnings -- meaning wind, humidity and other conditions are ripe for fires.”

191031123605-02-california-fires-1031-san-bernardino-hillside-fire-medium-plus-169.jpg

A fire consumes a home Thursday in northern San Bernardino.

——

Kincade Fire: California wine country burns in couple's wedding photo

1db4d21e-6b33-4caa-a7b3-efeefe8f2d71-KMRphotography-Kincade_Fire.jpg

Curtis and Katie Ferland — who traveled from Chicago to have their dream destination wedding in Sonoma County, California — were photographed hand-in-hand with masks over their mouths to protect them from smoke as the Kincade Fire raged in the background.
KARNA ROA/KMR PHOTOGRAPHY

——

https://scvnews.com/2019/10/31/tick-fire-fully-contained/

“Four firefighters were injured, 45 structures damaged, 29 structures were destroyed, including 23 residences, one commercial/residential and five outbuildings. Approximately 40,000 residents were ordered to evacuate at the height of the fire. But all evacuations were lifted by Sunday, Oct. 27.”

Last edited:
Maria Fire: Blaze near Santa Paula jumps to 8,730 acres, evacuations remain

This one has exploded over night. Ventura County is just getting hammered so far this fire season. This is about 15 mins west of the Easy fire

Maria Fire: SCE says blaze began minutes after power restored

“California company says Maria Fire began minutes after power restored
Southern California Edison said it re-energized a 16,000-volt power line minutes before the Maria Fire erupted. But the power company says they don't know the cause of the fire.”
USA TODAY

——-

Evacuations Lifted, Containment Increases Around Maria Fire in Ventura County

“More than 1,500 firefighters were battling flames. The fire started about 6:15 p.m. Thursday on South Mountain. It grew to over 9,400 acres and was 30% contained as of Saturday evening, with positive conditions assisting firefighters.”

—-

Evacuation in place as Southern California blaze continues to burn

“The fire, which started Thursday, prompted evacuation orders for nearly 11,000 people. It first broke out on a hilltop northwest of Los Angeles. Flames could be seen for miles as the fire moved quickly through dry brush and trees, threatening a number of homes and forcing thousands to flee, CBS Los Angeles reported.

—-

Southern California braces for more fire weather after Maria fire torches over 9,000 acres

"We are not out of the woods yet. We still have 24 hours of critical fire weather ahead of us," one fire official said.

—-

Drones are grounding firefighting helicopters amid Maria fire battle in California
https://nypost.com/2019/11/02/drone...copters-amid-maria-fire-battle-in-california/

“Firefighters in Southern California are battling more than flames and smoke — they also have to worry about thrill-seeking drones that could collide with first responders’ helicopters.

The pilot flying a firefighting helicopter in Ventura County north of Los Angeles spotted a drone hovering above the flames at 3:19 a.m. Friday, apparently trying to take a photo or video of the fire below, forcing air operations to stop for at least 45 minutes. At 4:05 a.m., another drone appeared, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The drones grounded aerial firefighting for another hour while the Maria fire continued to spread.”

( @Hatfield )

And also this about drones:

Most California Fires Over 70% Contained As Ventura Firefighters Contend With Drones

“Two separate instances of drone flights disrupted water-dropping helicopters from attempting structure protection in the nearby city of Santa Paula, Ventura County Fire Department spokesman Mike DesForges said.

"The helicopters had to set down for 30 to 40 minutes each time," DesForges said. "The drones are difficult to see and they can be pushed by winds very easily. If they strike one of our helicopters, they could cause it to crash, and if not, we would still need to land that helicopter to perform repairs."”

mariafire-af2431dab1236ea08e0f8bd0a87f3dfe6cd8945c-s600-c85.jpg

An air tanker drops retardant as the Maria Fire approaches Santa Paula, Calif., on Friday.

Noah Berger/AP

—-

Number of Acres Burned by Maria Fire Creeps Toward 10,000
All mandatory evacuations and road closures ended Saturday afternoon. Darsha Philips reports for the NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019.
-video at link

—-

Firefighters finally getting a handle on wildfires burning across California

Inmate firefighters clear brush ahead of the Maria fire near Santa Paula on Friday.
(Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

“The cause of the fire is unknown. But Southern California Edison told regulators Friday that it had reenergized a 16,000-volt power line 13 minutes before the fire broke out. Edison had earlier turned off the line due to heavy winds.

Edison has also reported to regulators that its lines might have been involved in the Easy fire as well as the Saddleridge fire that swept the northern San Fernando Valley two weeks ago.”

Last edited:
California fire insurance premiums pricing out homeowners

@The Maria Fire in Southern California threatens thousands of structures and has forced almost 11,000 people to evacuate. There's no end in sight for firefighters, or for homeowners living in fire-prone areas. Many have had their insurance policies dropped and are desperate for coverage.

Frances Mann Craik is among at least 350,000 Californians whose fire insurance policieshave been canceled. She had the same coverage for 18 years.”

Snip

“But as wildfires in California get worse, insurance companies are limiting their exposure in fire-prone areas. They've paid over $24 billion in claims in the past two years. Fire insurance is available but at an exorbitant price. O'Coffey said she used to pay $3,800 a year. Now, she said it's up to $19,000.”

—-

California Fires Bring On Traffic Nightmares

“Traffic long has been a cause of dread for Californians. But when wildfires hit, the gridlock can be unbearable, if not deadly.

Already this fire season, major highways were shut, causing severe disruptions for commuters and businesses along major arteries where, in normal conditions, traffic can slog like a snail. A portion of Interstate 405, among the nation’s busiest freeways, was shut down for several hours this week as a fire tore through the hills near the Getty Center. Route 101, another busy artery, was also closed near Calabasas because of the Mureau fire.”

——

Illegal drones ground water-dropping helicopters at critical moment in Maria fire battle

“The interruption of the aerial firefighting underscores growing concerns about how drones can bring added dangers to pilots battling major fires.”

A helicopter flies over the Maria fire in Santa Paula early Friday.
(Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

Last edited:
Last edited:

JMO
I do too.

Actually I am not sure if this is the fire where I saw someone had actual pictures of their equipment sparking and throwing sparks before the fire broke out. From what I remember, people even reported the sparks and called PGE and reported the problem. It sounds like they did not come out in time or at all to check the reports. They even provided pictures of the equipment sparking before the fire erupted into a major blaze.

I cant remember which particular fire it was but I definitely blame them for that one wichever one it was. There has been so many fires, I lost track of which one that was where I saw all that information.

Its so crazy because its bad enough when lightning or something unforeseen causes these fires, but when you have the electric company itself causing it, then its a hard pill to swallow.

"The Kincade fire, the worst of several blazes raging throughout California last year, had erupted near the base of a damaged high-voltage transmission tower owned by PG&E, the utility and fire officials had said."

California blames PG&E for Kincade wildfire in wine country

Maria Fire: SCE says blaze began minutes after power restored

“California company says Maria Fire began minutes after power restored
Southern California Edison said it re-energized a 16,000-volt power line minutes before the Maria Fire erupted. But the power company says they don't know the cause of the fire.”
USA TODAY

“The cause of the fire is unknown. But Southern California Edison told regulators Friday that it had reenergized a 16,000-volt power line 13 minutes before the fire broke out. Edison had earlier turned off the line due to heavy winds.

Edison has also reported to regulators that its lines might have been involved in the Easy fire as well as the Saddleridge fire that swept the northern San Fernando Valley two weeks ago.”

This is a post from awhile back that I am replying to and just wanted to give an example how stupid they must have been to not have someone watching the danger points as soon as they turn the power back on. It seems to me if they had the right personnel in place then as soon as they flipped the switch they should have realized something was wrong and then turn it right back off.

Instead, its like they flipped the switch and did not have the right people watching in the right areas and just waited around until 911 reports came in about a fire. Crazy and irresponsible IMO.

JMO
I do too.

Actually I am not sure if this is the fire where I saw someone had actual pictures of their equipment sparking and throwing sparks before the fire broke out. From what I remember, people even reported the sparks and called PGE and reported the problem. It sounds like they did not come out in time or at all to check the reports. They even provided pictures of the equipment sparking before the fire erupted into a major blaze.

I cant remember which particular fire it was but I definitely blame them for that one wichever one it was. There has been so many fires, I lost track of which one that was where I saw all that information.

Its so crazy because its bad enough when lightning or something unforeseen causes these fires, but when you have the electric company itself causing it, then its a hard pill to swallow.

"The Kincade fire, the worst of several blazes raging throughout California last year, had erupted near the base of a damaged high-voltage transmission tower owned by PG&E, the utility and fire officials had said."

California blames PG&E for Kincade wildfire in wine country
PG&E have been the cause of 1500+ fires in the state over the last six years, including the Camp Fire. I don't understand how they can still be in business

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back