Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unopened canned foods don't need to be refrigerated but with some once you open them they do need to be refrigerated if you don't eat them within a certain time.
Maybe especially in hot weather.

Yes, that's how you get around any power outages. Canned food doesn't have to be refrigerated. I stocked up on canned soups. It's both liquid and food at once. And I don't really want to eat them, so they are perfectly safe until the need arises to eat them. Because if you stock up on good things you actually want to eat, they are gone sooner rather than later.

3rd party suppliers cost more and charge more
many of them also price gouge

funny story - I ordered an 18-pack of wagon wheels cause I miss my childhood and never see them for sale anywhere
it was $20 - my husband told me it was overpriced - I said it's like $1 per piece - not bad?
they came in and were really small
and Walmart also now has the 18-pack for $5

Walmart is the place to shop: i just checked and their price is 7.97 vs. 16.82 for one freaking can of salmon - i decided to order some canned goods from Walmart- to include canned veggies, canned soups and some other canned food like Dinty Moore Stew (yuck) but in an emergency you will eat what ya got!!! Amazon is exploiting customers-- i have to admit being surprised.

Glad you got your wagon wheels though!!!!

Walmart is the place to shop: i just checked and their price is 7.97 vs. 16.82 for one freaking can of salmon - i decided to order some canned goods from Walmart- to include canned veggies, canned soups and some other canned food like Dinty Moore Stew (yuck) but in an emergency you will eat what ya got!!! Amazon is exploiting customers-- i have to admit being surprised.

Glad you got your wagon wheels though!!!!

One positive from all of this was discovering food shopping at Walmart. We'd always just go to our local chain, but started trying Walmart. Amazed at the price difference on the same items, and for whatever reason their cheap meat makes great burgers.

And I had my dream/nightmare where I saw a covid shape banging on my front door, I could see them through the frosted glass. I

We need a thread just for covid dreams lol.

Sadly mine have been scary, I saw a loved one’s feet hanging over the end of a hospital bed with a toe tag and I woke up screaming. I also have these dreams where people come close to me without a mask lol, which actually just happened while I was out walking, again people with no mask not respecting distancing. I turned my back, cut a new direction, held my breath hoping I got zero viral load.

Actually, my posting of the interview with Fauci on the Today Show on March 6th was part of a discussion here about the revisionist timeline that some in MSM were writing about again about the early days of COVID-19. You might understand it better if you read the post in its context on this thread. JMO.

Edited for spelling
thanks...i have been missing for a while...so definitely will go back.... I guess I am having some trouble with the various recounts of early statements taken soooo out of context. . Thanks for the comments.

I found an easy way to dry apple slices. I dry them in the microwave direct onto the glass tray. I used a spare tray that I rewashed and dried.
Sliced some apples and put them on the tray on the defrost setting. Took about 20 minutes and they came out perfect.

Don forget lots of online video of how to safely can. Its not hard. I still can "country"sausage in glass jars.

Also many vegetables can be "dried" and rehydrated before cooking.

Neat trick, at the end of summer I take all the GREEN tomatoes, can't have any red, wrap in newspaper and store in a cool spot in the basement. Come Christmas, I have sliced fresh homegrown tomatoes to serve.

Yum Yum...

Friends. I have posted the numbers, for the likelihood of us getting, and most importantly, dying from this horrible new disease.
The numbers show that it is very unlikely that you will die from this ugly, nasty disease.
I personally, do not take this disease lightly.
I am nearly obsessed with it. Everywhere I go, everything I do, this hateful disease is on my mind.
Especially, in regards to my employees and customers at our restaurant.
The news media, in my opinion, has not been honest with us.
They are pushing the worst cases in headlines daily
Why? They get people to click on their stories. Clicks equal advertisers paying money.
We really are getting better at learning how to control this virus and stop the death count.
Keep your eye on the number of deaths. Not. The number of cases.
:) wishing you all a safe, sleep.
Kali in crazy California...

worth repeating. I feel the exact same way.

Thanks, Kali

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 5.59.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 5.59.34 PM.png
    771.7 KB · Views: 5
White House blocks CDC from testifying on reopening schools next week - CNNPolitics

Why is the CDC being blocked from testifying to Congress on the safety of reopening schools?

Why is the public not being allowed to hear testimony from the Center of Disease Control.

This is not right. This shouldn't be acceptable.
The head of the CDC testified before Congress at least four times in the last three months. That’s a lot. Congress needs to get their act together. IMO

I press the buttons with my elbow.
It helps here in that it is winter and is quite cold so none of my skin touches the button.
When I get home I either wash what i'm wearing., but lately it's so cold so it's been teddy coats or a longer faux fur. Some that can only be dry cleaned.
I hang them in a spare room for a week or so before I even think of wearing them again.

I shocked myself when one day I took it a step further and abandoned wearing plastic gloves on my short excursions. I try to use my wrist to deal w/ the elevator buttons and such, but to get back in the building, as well as in some of the stores, I need to use my hands. I'm dealing with it.

Oh, lol. I don't live in hurricane areas. I was trying to tie it to Covid. Ha ha. Jmo

I think because they’re worried about the drain on the grid caused by people who used to ‘use’ the AC in their offices, movie theaters, etc.; and are now relegated to stressing out their homes and apartments on account of lockdown.

The head of the CDC testified before Congress at least four times in the last three months. That’s a lot. Congress needs to get their act together. IMO
The American public needs to hear from him and all of our health officials as often as possible. What was true a week ago is not true today, the situation is very fluid. Dr. Fauci isn't allowed to participate in t.v. interviews with major networks and Trump barely even mentions that we're in the middle of a crisis. I say the health officials need to address the public every single day and while doing so they are free to offer their professional opinions. Information is power.

Last edited:
I went to lunch today and took my wife's car. Got to the restaurant and realized I didn't have a mask. Car was loaded with kitchenware from someone we are helping move - I found an old dirty apron and wrapped that around my face. It got quite the reaction from the staff, so at least they are paying attention!

I do not have cable tv and have always been a first adapter, so way way back when I cut the cable, got one of the first roku's and an antenna for local channels (which I never watch unless we have a hurricane coming) and I also have an HDMI cable to tv hookup from my laptop- so can watch stuff that way too. whew! Only watch British tv or Scandi tv anyways...

Wanted to say that I see folks on fb showing off their "mesh masks" thinking they are so clever. We have a mask mandate here in VA and the guv has really come down on compliance lately...so this is how the anti-maskers "get around it"....ridiculous! If I ever see one in one, I will start a LOUD coughing fit (under my mask of course) and go all out with the show...coughing uncontrollably, saying OMG I dont feel too good..coughing more...lets see how brave they are.

This is expressly about schools reopening, a very important subject which needs addressing.

And as was pointed out in that article, they didn't ask for just Redfield. They said ANYONE from the CDC. There's no excuse for not letting a single official from the CDC testify about something so vital for public health.

"We asked for anyone at CDC who could testify at the hearing. The invite was not for Dr. Redfield or no one," the official said.
House Education and Labor Chairman Bobby Scott said the testimony from CDC officials is critical to understanding how scientists would manage the reopening of US schools.

It's their job to collect and disseminate information which is important for public safety. It's their job to make recommendations and public guidelines based on scientific consensus. And yet once again the CDC is being gagged. The guidelines for reopening schools is also being held back from being published. Why?

CDC officials have delayed the release of new recommendations for sending children back to classrooms.

The same thing happened in May when the CDC worked on a 17 page report for COVID-19 guidelines for reopening. Again, why?

AP report: Trump administration shelves CDC guide to reopening country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member