Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Andrews did it then. Mandated the masks. Probably the best thing right now, hey?

Probably.. iv been wearing one for months i don't want this virus lol i am paranoid about getting it even though i am young, a trip on a ventilator sounds terrifying

but if we can get everyone wearing masks that would be good

“"One of the family members had lunch with an asymptomatic friend and then that's how it started," he added.

Bishop Abel Jimenez and his wife of 65 years, Noemi, were both hospitalized with COVID-19. Two of their daughters recently passed away.”

[...]

“Now, the family wants to send a message to others.

"COVID is real and we should take precautions. Especially if you know that you're feeling symptoms, stay home. Save lives," Perez said.”

Oh, Andrews did it then. Mandated the masks. Probably the best thing right now, hey?

That's it - right now and the near future. But so many people are irrationally afraid it will be forever. We had a Rhodes-Scholar senator get all dramatic and freaked out on tv yelling about how he didn't want to be forced to wear it in the shower. As though the rest of us just love wearing masks and wear them 24/7 and will decide it's our new cultural norm to wear them forever. Tip: If we get CoVid under control, get a vaccine, and manage to keep our air pollution down, we can take 'em off safely.

We are a people who survived a Depression, and wartime shortages of fuel, food, and fabric. We managed, eventually, with leadership that bound us together. We are still those strong, smart people. The rise of TV punditry maybe convinced us that we are fragile and in constant danger from each other's differences, but that's largely generational and only over the last 40 years or so. I see the strength, tolerance, and resourcefulness in the oldest and youngest people I know. We can be those strong, brave people again. JMO.

Last edited:
Partying Like There's No Pandemic: Hundreds Of Maskless Revellers Pack The Streets Of New York With Plastic Cups And No Social Distancing Until 4Am - And Cops Can't Do Anything

The streets of Astoria in Queens, New York, were packed on Friday night with people partying without a single face mask in sight.

Video shot and posted online shows throngs of revelers with drinks in hand and mingling closely with one another - with the coronavirus pandemic seemingly out of mind.

wth

I read a fair amount of stories here about people who disregard SD and usage of masks and wanted to share a quick observation. I checked worldometers today and noticed there were 10 cases here in Maine today. Later in the day I visited a small food store and all 11 people I saw were wearing masks. I thought - how odd - the number of masked people at this store exceed the daily case count in the whole state! Only 10 cases state wide yet 100% mask use in my small anecdotal observation. I think the national explosion of cases is impacting the behavior of people in somewhat remote (and less infected) areas - very interesting.

So here's a snapshot from my NY town, which is getting ready to bring back college kids.

Last week, it felt delightful to go shopping and see the Starbucks reopened in the store. People wearing masks, distancing, all that. This week, same good behaviors, but WAY more people, and the mall is open now.

Husband and I visited local restaurant to eat outside. We did see the indoor dining space - lots of plastic partitioning. It all should "feel" normal, but it's really a sense of dread.

Kiddo tells me about customers scoffing more and more about masks in the store. It's like we are victims of our own "success" in that our county has few cases. So people think it's not a problem, that it's all hype. What people fail to understand is exponential growth - you start slow and low, but when you get careless, it will skyrocket. All they see is the success. Then reality hits, seemingly out of nowhere. This seems to be happening in parts of CA right now. It will happen to us, too, I am sure.

So I bought some powdered milk and a little extra toilet paper and food while I was out. We have to be in this for the long haul, and plan for success (progress + safety) every step of the way.

I have been watching some friends chat about Cuomo's newer ruling that food must be served with a drink. You must be seated.

"Our area is good, that is not fair"
"The poor bartending staff, having to run around and serve drinks and food"
"What if they don't have a kitchen. My favourite bar is going to close"

They neglect to realise that anyone within NYS can (and do) travel to their pretty area for a weekend, drink right with them in a bar, perhaps get very friendly with them, and spread the virus.

I have been watching some friends chat about Cuomo's newer ruling that food must be served with a drink. You must be seated.

"Our area is good, that is not fair"
"The poor bartending staff, having to run around and serve drinks and food"
"What if they don't have a kitchen. My favourite bar is going to close"

They neglect to realise that anyone within NYS can (and do) travel to their pretty area for a weekend, drink right with them in a bar, perhaps get very friendly with them, and spread the virus.

Bowl of popcorn, bag of chips, or plate of bread and oil if it must be real food. Slide it across the bar. Done.
ETA - you can even have an attitude about it - it's all good :cool: Some Upstate NY bars selling snarky $1 food items in response to Cuomo alcohol rule

Still, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Thursday afternoon that the "Obama-Biden plan that has been referenced was insufficient" and eventually was "superseded by a President Trump-style pandemic preparedness response plan."

"Which was much better, which was much more complete and which was a lot tougher," Trump added Thursday before heading to Pennsylvania on the Marine One helicopter.

"We were — we were given very little when we came into this administration," Trump added Thursday. "... And I think we’re going to have a vaccine by the end of the year, and I think distribution will take place almost simultaneously because we’ve geared up the military."

Was this new playbook available before the game started?

We have a constitution, too.

And our states are responsible for their own decisions. Hence the closing of some states to other states. No-one told them to do that. It is their own directive.

However, what we are doing right .... all state leaders have been consulting together in National Cabinet (phone call meetings/online meetings/physical meetings when it is safe) where they plan strategy, work out their differences, and get on the same page.

This provides good cohesive leadership for us all to follow. It helps us reach a mutual goal that is good for the country.

Please remember that Australia is geographically as big as the US. People from different areas think in different ways, approach things in different ways, BUT cohesive leadership from all states are pulling the nation's approach together.

The Australian Constitution:
The Australian Constitution – Parliament of Australia

Exactly. And I can’t stress enough how important strong leadership is against a virus that cares nothing for constitutions or politics, but will simply spread wherever it has a host to spread to.

Our “national plan” consisted of our leaders of all political persuasions working together to beat this thing. The Prime Minister of Political Party A gives full support to my State Premier of Political Party B, and as a citizen I can say it provides much comfort, and more importantly, a HIGH level of public compliance with these temporary inconveniences. Nay-sayers are very few and far between. We are working as a nation to beat this thing and politics plays no part. The messaging is consistent and based on the latest science available.

That’s a “national plan” IMO. It’s not about one leader telling another leader what to do, and “enforcing” it, but about working together against a common enemy based on the best available guidelines at the time. And those guidelines should be encouraged by all levels of government to the people in those places where the risk level requires those guidelines be followed.

JMO

Was this new playbook available before the game started?
Yes. 2018, according to her.

"The Obama-Biden plan that has been referenced was insufficient; it wasn't going to work. So what our administration did, under the leadership of President Trump, is do an entire 2018 Pandemic Preparedness Report. Beyond that, we did a whole exercise on pandemic preparedness in August of last year and had an entire after-action report put together. In other words, the Obama-Biden paper packet was superseded by a President Trump-style Pandemic Preparedness Response plan."

Team Trump aims at Obama's pandemic playbook (but misses)

ETA: That was months ago and still no sign of this seemingly mystical plan.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/article244323892.html

As virus surges in some US states, emergency rooms swamped

“Dr. Robert Hancock, who works at multiple hospitals in Texas and Oklahoma and serves as president of the Texas College of Emergency Physicians, said some Texas emergency rooms are facing backups of patients awaiting ICU beds. And many of them are on ventilators, meaning they require more attention than other patients.

"Unfortunately, because of the increased demand for personnel, there typically isn’t anybody free to come down to the ER to help a lot of times from a nursing standpoint,” he said.”

[...]

““What’s really frustrating from my side of it is when a patient comes into the emergency department, and is not really having symptoms of COVID, but they feel like they need that testing,” said Hastings, who works at an area hospital and is president of the Emergency Nurses Association. “Sometimes we’re not able to test them because we don’t have enough test supplies, so we’re only testing a certain set of patients."”

Yes. 2018, according to her.

"The Obama-Biden plan that has been referenced was insufficient; it wasn't going to work. So what our administration did, under the leadership of President Trump, is do an entire 2018 Pandemic Preparedness Report. Beyond that, we did a whole exercise on pandemic preparedness in August of last year and had an entire after-action report put together. In other words, the Obama-Biden paper packet was superseded by a President Trump-style Pandemic Preparedness Response plan."

Team Trump aims at Obama's pandemic playbook (but misses)

ETA: That was months ago and still no sign of this seemingly mystical plan.

Whether or not this plan exists, the proof is in the pudding as to the actions to date. Actions (or lack thereof) and facts and stats and everything else that has happened to date speaks for itself. You can have the best plan in the world, but it’s useless if there is no implementation.

How anyone can justify our current state is just mind boggling to me.

Last edited:
The bowl of popcorn makes me nervous - they never go unshared
:) One can only do so much...I guess we'll all have to be just a little selfish on that count. The idea is as follows (from the article)

“The purpose of the requirement that food be sold with alcohol is to permit outside and limited indoor dining (outside of New York City), with alcoholic beverages, while restricting the congregating and mingling that arise in a bar service/drinking only environment,” the guidance says.

Today is my first time going out to have a cup of coffee since way back in very early March.
I never used to be nervous just going out for coffee. How times have changed!
People say the club is taking precautions.
I'm taking my homemade sanitising wipes with me. And a mask for if I start to feel unsafe. And will do the now usual, not touching face etc.
Literally no one is wearing a mask here, country New South Wales, Australia.
Saw only one person wearing one when I went for one of my rare ventures out last week.
Outing was to check my PO Box and pick up a click and collect from Big W, my lovely new purple fitted sheet.

We've had less than 12 cases in our town, no deaths. No cases for months now. I hope it stays like that.
The closest death was 45km away, that lady was on one of the cruise ships and died in a Sydney hospital.
I just heard on the radio about a church, I presume it's in Sydney, where a lady tested positive. She had gone to Mass three days running.
I hope you had a lovely coffee. Do you get many tourists where you are? Like you we've only had about 12 cases but have had a lot of holiday visitors before the border was closed (NSW north coast) which has me nervous.

I read a fair amount of stories here about people who disregard SD and usage of masks and wanted to share a quick observation. I checked worldometers today and noticed there were 10 cases here in Maine today. Later in the day I visited a small food store and all 11 people I saw were wearing masks. I thought - how odd - the number of masked people at this store exceed the daily case count in the whole state! Only 10 cases state wide yet 100% mask use in my small anecdotal observation. I think the national explosion of cases is impacting the behavior of people in somewhat remote (and less infected) areas - very interesting.

LOL New Englanders are famous for their common sense. If you want your economy to recover and stay good, you do the simple thing and mask up and keep your distance. It's not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288