Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Reuters) - The United States is preparing to issue guidance on reducing “unnecessary” testing for COVID-19 as it works to cut turnaround times for tests, a senior U.S. health official said on Thursday.

Details of the guidance are still being hammered out but it would be aimed partly at discouraging COVID-19 patients who have completed home quarantine from getting retested before returning to work or school, said Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Speaking on a call with reporters, he said such unnecessary tests were “clogging up the system.”

U.S. prepares push to reduce 'unnecessary' COVID-19 testing: official

I didn’t like it being called “unnecessary” to test before returning to work, but the last part of the article is important. A point-of-care test instead. Sounds hopeful.
The U.S. government is trying to facilitate a transition away from lab-based tests, which can have longer turnaround times, to point-of-care tests, which can provide results in minutes and be conducted in a wider variety of locations.

The U.S. government expects there will be 20 million point-of-care tests per month available by September, Girior said.

Becton Dickinson on Wednesday said the U.S. government agreed to buy 750,000 of its point-of-care tests.
U.S. prepares push to reduce 'unnecessary' COVID-19 testing: official

Please have you got some examples because others are saying the WH is not following what the CDC are saying. And if, as you say above, employers are making policy doing the opposite of what the WH are saying, is that because they are following CDC or just because they are making up their own policy? Otherwise your statement is meaningless with no examples.

My employer is following both CDC guidelines and state Health Department guidelines.

ETA - And our pandemic response team is also tracking recommendations and findings by Dr. Deborah Birx, chair of the White House Task Force. We look at all three, and then develop our own plan.

Last edited:
It’s okay to think whatever....I’m just surprised to see so much overwhelming negativity here.
I think/ thought washing groceries or leaving them in the garage was over the top. I didn’t feel the need to post nastiness about it though.
A person who does not wear a mask when they know they have been exposed to COVID and are awaiting tests results is no different from someone exposed to HIV having unprotected sex while waiting for results of an HIV test. Yeah, most people do feel pretty negative about people who are that irresponsible. It is not praiseworthy behavior.

A co-worker of mine came back to work full-time after testing positive & beating the virus. She had to have 2 negative tests within 24 hours prior to returning to work. Two and a half months later she lost her sense of smell and taste and tested positive for a second time. She is currently in quarantine.

This must be scary for her and everyone close to her. I hope she beats this awful thing for good and can enjoy the good smells and good food again soon.

Trump administration says insurers off the hook for back-to-work COVID-19 tests

"Testing conducted to screen for general workplace health and safety (such as employee "return to work" programs), for public health surveillance for SARS-CoV-2, or for any other purpose not primarily intended for individualized diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 or another health condition is beyond the scope of section 6001 of the [Families First Coronavirus Response Act]," the guidance from HHS, the Department of Labor, and Department of the Treasury states.

Employers can require employees to be tested before returning to work, but the Pacific Business Group on Health said it would be highly unusual for a large employer to require testing for employees without paying for the tests in full.

Coronavirus updates: Worldwide deaths pass 600,000 - BBC News

Summary

1. More than 600,000 people have died with the coronavirus around the world
  2. Nearly a quarter of them were in the US
  3. The world has seen the largest single-day increase in cases, the WHO says
  4. The number of new cases of coronavirus rose by almost 260,000 in 24 hours
  5. The EU is in its third day of talks to try to agree a rescue package for virus-hit countries
  6. Millions of people have been told to stay at home amid an outbreak in the Spanish region of Catalonia
  7. The global number of infections now stands at 14.3 million - Johns Hopkins University

From the link - (makes sense to me)
Federal officials say the sites have been closing or transferring to state or local control because it's more efficient to run testing that way. In other instances they argue there are readily available testing sites nearby.
Trump administration defends defunding COVID testing in Texas, four other states

The Trump administration said on Wednesday that it would no longer directly fund 13 of its original coronavirus testing sites in five states, saying states were allocated money for testing by the federal government last month.

The federal government fully funds a newer testing program with 600 sites in pharmacies and other health care settings and also pays the test costs of a third program run with CVS Health Corp at 1,000 locations, he said.

Trump administration defends defunding COVID testing in Texas, four other states

A co-worker of mine came back to work full-time after testing positive & beating the virus. She had to have 2 negative tests within 24 hours prior to returning to work. Two and a half months later she lost her sense of smell and taste and tested positive for a second time. She is currently in quarantine.

Is this a healthcare employee?

Thanks. However the link is 4 weeks old and since then, billions have been sent to states to fund these tests themselves now.

If you have a link to billions from the feds in the last 4 weeks, that is great, because I hadn't seen that. We need more, as you know.

Top Democrats say Trump sitting on $14 billion for coronavirus testing, contact tracing

I don't know whether the $14 billion has been released yet (I looked), but I do know that I heard these quotes myself, on video:

"Testing is a double-edged sword," said Trump, who added that the U.S. has conducted 25 million tests. "When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases, so I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

Trump officials defended the president Sunday, including top White House trade adviser Peter Navarro who said on CNN's "State of the Union" that Trump's remark "was tongue-in-cheek."

During an interview with Scripps on Monday, Trump was pressed on whether there was any truth to his Saturday remark.

"If it did slow down, frankly I think we’re way ahead of ourselves if you want to know the truth," he said. "We’ve done too good a job. Because every time we go up, with 25 million tests you’re gonna find more people. So then they say, 'oh, we have more cases in the United States.' The reason we have more cases because we do more testing than any other country by far."

As far as negativity (not specific to your post at all, just the general conversation): It is important for politicians to understand that we can hear them when they speak to us. What they say matters, especially in a crisis. There is a reason for the negativity and lack of trust. I am sure people who think it's being handled perfectly have their reasons, too. We are better off listening to each other instead of just chalking it up to irrationality. People have reasons for their feelings, both optimistic and pessimistic, about how this crisis is being handled.

The Trump administration said on Wednesday that it would no longer directly fund 13 of its original coronavirus testing sites in five states, saying states were allocated money for testing by the federal government last month.

The federal government fully funds a newer testing program with 600 sites in pharmacies and other health care settings and also pays the test costs of a third program run with CVS Health Corp at 1,000 locations, he said.

Thank you for posting this. And yet the ‘critics’ are concerned about closing 7 testing sites.

Yet it is still not sufficient, because labs do not have the capacity to process these tests as fast they need to. Money might help. COVID testing delays worsen as labs struggle to keep pace with demand

I wonder why there is some disagreement between the WH and GOP in the senate over this in the newest proposed bill. They are usually on the same page. It's odd, but I'm sure they will resolve it. White House seeks to block funds for coronavirus testing and tracing in relief bill

Last edited:
That's interesting.

71% of those infected with the virus attended a family gathering

3% attended a religious service

3% attended a protest

So it makes me wonder about the other 23%. Work or a care home perhaps?.

A person who does not wear a mask when they know they have been exposed to COVID and are awaiting tests results is no different from someone exposed to HIV having unprotected sex while waiting for results of an HIV test. Yeah, most people do feel pretty negative about people who are that irresponsible. It is not praiseworthy behavior.

So who in particular are you referencing? Chris Cuomo is one I can think of off the top of my head so who do you have in mind?

If you have a link to billions from the feds in the last 4 weeks, that is great, because I hadn't seen that. We need more, as you know.

Top Democrats say Trump sitting on $14 billion for coronavirus testing, contact tracing

I don't know whether the $14 billion has been released yet (I looked), but I do know that I heard these quotes myself, on video:

"Testing is a double-edged sword," said Trump, who added that the U.S. has conducted 25 million tests. "When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases, so I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

Trump officials defended the president Sunday, including top White House trade adviser Peter Navarro who said on CNN's "State of the Union" that Trump's remark "was tongue-in-cheek."

During an interview with Scripps on Monday, Trump was pressed on whether there was any truth to his Saturday remark.

"If it did slow down, frankly I think we’re way ahead of ourselves if you want to know the truth," he said. "We’ve done too good a job. Because every time we go up, with 25 million tests you’re gonna find more people. So then they say, 'oh, we have more cases in the United States.' The reason we have more cases because we do more testing than any other country by far."

As far as negativity (not specific to your post at all, just the general conversation): It is important for politicians to understand that we can hear them when they speak to us. What they say matters, especially in a crisis. There is a reason for the negativity and lack of trust. I am sure people who think it's being handled perfectly have their reasons, too. We are better off listening to each other instead of just chalking it up to irrationality. People have reasons for their feelings, both optimistic and pessimistic, about how this crisis is being handled.
I posted it yesterday but will find it for you. It was $179 billion total allocated with 12% spent so far IIRC.

ETA It is post 210. Here is a link to the post. It was only announced yesterday.

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Last edited:
So it makes me wonder about the other 23%. Work or a care home perhaps?.

So who in particular are you referencing? Chris Cuomo is one I can think of off the top of my head so who do you have in mind?
I was speaking directly about politicians, as you know, because you had said politicians are following the scientists’ recommendations. I pointed out that they are not all following scientific recommendations, as we have seen again and again.

If you have followed this thread closely, I’m sure you know of at least a handful of these folks who have behaved this way. It is common knowledge at this point. I’m not going to repeat links that have been provided and discussed again and again in this thread.

I’m also not going to veer off into “regular folks” who have done similar. We know a lot of people have. But no one claimed that these people are following the scientists’ recommendations. And that is my point.

Yet it is still not sufficient, because labs do not have the capacity to process these tests. Money might help. COVID testing delays worsen as labs struggle to keep pace with demand

I wonder why there is some disagreement between the WH and GOP in the senate over this in the newest proposed bill. They are usually on the same page. It's odd, but I'm sure they will resolve it.
White House seeks to block funds for coronavirus testing and tracing in relief bill
Why on earth would they block funding for testing and tracing when that is the fundamental mechanism for tracking and containing the spread of cases? How are we supposed to get on track for opening businesses and schools without robust testing and tracing? I hope congress over rules the WH on this because it is folly. jmo

I posted it yesterday but will find it for you. It was $179 billion total allocated with 12% spent so far IIRC.
I remember that post, and I'm sorry - no need to bother if it's just for me because I can find it. I'll look at it again, thanks!

That's interesting.

71% of those infected with the virus attended a family gathering

3% attended a religious service

3% attended a protest

That seemed to be the consensus from experts on the Sunday morning news shows and news reports yesterday. It's shifting. The large, unsafe gatherings when states "opened up" businesses sparked the increase. From there, people go home and infect family members. Everyone has a small bbq for July 4th or something similar and the younger family/friends spread it to the older folks. My kids are in the 19-40 range and I'm glad they chose not to go to bars or restaurants when they re-opened.

A friend was telling me this week that, in her area, its spreading among older kids and teens who are still participating in sports like football, soccer, etc. I was surprised these school and city teams were allowing practices. Maybe these sports fans just hold practices on their own. Anyone heard of, like, high school football teams starting summer practices?

Trump administration says insurers off the hook for back-to-work COVID-19 tests

"Testing conducted to screen for general workplace health and safety (such as employee "return to work" programs), for public health surveillance for SARS-CoV-2, or for any other purpose not primarily intended for individualized diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 or another health condition is beyond the scope of section 6001 of the [Families First Coronavirus Response Act]," the guidance from HHS, the Department of Labor, and Department of the Treasury states.

Employers can require employees to be tested before returning to work, but the Pacific Business Group on Health said it would be highly unusual for a large employer to require testing for employees without paying for the tests in full.

Employers should cover the cost if they require employee testing. It's only fair, especially if these are lower paying jobs that don't have real health insurance. Maybe someone can take it to court or the workers could consider starting a union.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member