Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would they block funding for testing and tracing when that is the fundamental mechanism for tracking and containing the spread of cases? How are we supposed to get on track for opening businesses and schools without robust testing and tracing? I hope congress over rules the WH on this because it is folly. jmo

The article explains they are directly funding hundreds of in store test sites instead. The link was posted.

You don't make a distinction between someone being overly cautious and people endangering others?

I find that interesting. It's also interesting that you see the actions of certain congresspersons as largely signaling or symbolic behavior, whereas all I see are people who are endangering others in an enclosed space by not wearing masks. I really don't care if people wash their groceries, but I would really like to see an end or slowdown to CoVid.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

I'm just curious as to why you think either of these things is about making you do something. These are things that happen that have very little to do with signaling to the rest of us what we are supposed to do. Unless, of course, you think news is mostly about trying to shape your behavior - I've never looked at it that way.
You are now the second person who has mentioned members of Congress not following procedures but nobody wants to name them or provide a link for some reason. It is very difficult to comment if we cannot see all the information or know who posters are talking about.

On Friday, our K-12 school district announced its plans for the fall reopening.

Monday will be for cleaning/sanitizing, and space will be allocated for medically fragile students to come to the school campus, if needed.

Tuesday to Friday, elementary school students will attend classes.

Secondary school students will only attend 2 days a week.

Busing will only be provided for elementary school children. There will be no busing for high school students.

They are adopting a hybrid model for the high school kids. Not sure what parents will do with their younger children on Monday's when they are out of school.

ETA - But at least the parents only have to plan for child care for one day a week, rather than the full week. Maybe they can arrange to work remotely one day a week with their employers, if they have the kinds of jobs that allow for this.

BBM:

So, does this mean we will now see an end to these long long lines and long turnaround times? Have these critical issues been resolved now? I hope so.

I hope so. It is terrible how long it takes for testing turnaround in some parts of the US. How can a virus be contained and managed when some people have to wait days and days for their results?

That would include tests though wouldn't it, especially for those going to emergency? Other funding has been given for sites within stores and pharmacies. One poster yesterday mentioned a pop up test site in a store she was thinking of going back to today. It's better that queuing all night in a vehicle and dying while you are waiting for it.
No. This fund is tied to inpatient admission/treatment. Hospitals are paid a set amount for each patient admitted and treated. It's a completely different program and nothing to do with testing. Your original link explains all this pretty well.

People are holding onto media reports bashing the Trump administration. They just can't let it go for some reason.

I have my own assessments based on what we have learned and are still learning about this virus, what has been done to date, and what our current status is. I take every media report with a grain of salt and choose to believe what I do based on facts, data and science. I only wish I could say, “man we are nailing it, these reports are wrong!” I would be the first one to share this joy, and give credit where credit is due, as I have wrt other countries and other leaders who have taken a responsible and wholehearted active approach. So, since I can only speak for myself, the whole argument about bashing based on selective media reports doesn’t apply to me. If I truly found them to be untrue, I’d be the first one to say so. And stand up to unfair accusations. So, standing up to science and data doesn’t mean one has a political bias. I only wish I could express confidence, and satisfaction with what all has happened and is happening. The list of failures is too long to name, and this has nothing to do with bias. It’s a fact, and scientists and doctors and infinite others educated about this disease agree.

How many health care workers died today because they didn’t have adequate PPE? How many people died today because they were led to undermine the seriousness of this virus? How many people died today because of problems with testing and treatment in an overwhelmed and ill prepared system? The list goes on and on. There’s no denying this. Facts speak for themselves. And it makes zero sense to attribute these facts to a political bias.

Last edited:
I hope so. It is terrible how long it takes for testing turnaround in some parts of the US. How can a virus be contained and managed when some people have to wait days and days for their results?

Testing turnaround is 24-48 hours in my area.

As long as people isolate and follow CDC guidelines the virus shouldn’t spread due to testing turnaround times.

On Friday, our K-12 school district announced its plans for the fall reopening.

Monday will be for cleaning/sanitizing, and space will be allocated for medically fragile students to come to the school campus, if needed.

Tuesday to Friday, elementary school students will attend classes.

Secondary school students will only attend 2 days a week.

Busing will only be provided for elementary school children. There will be no busing for high school students.

They are adopting a hybrid model for the high school kids. Not sure what parents will do with their younger children on Monday's when they are out of school.

ETA - But at least the parents only have to plan for child care for one day a week, rather than the full week. Maybe they can arrange to work remotely one day a week with their employers, if they have the kinds of jobs that allow for this.
Yes, this is similar to many plans I've looked at. Some districts are providing childcare. I hope the parents in your area are getting support with that on those Mondays. Good luck, and may they all be able to return soon, full-time.

As long as people isolate and follow CDC guidelines the virus shouldn’t spread due to testing turnaround times.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in such a place. People in FL and TX are waiting a week or more. Sometimes two weeks. Where I live, it varies from 24 hours to 5 days. In Los Angeles County, they're working to get it back to 48 hours.

From what I'm observing, both the "sent home to quarantine" and the "awaiting test results" groups are not 100% staying isolated. In fact, the second group (waiting for tests) may actually be going to work, as some of my students are doing.

The article explains they are directly funding hundreds of in store test sites instead. The link was posted.
Yes, but we are discussing the provisions of the upcoming stimulus bill.

"The White House is trying to block billions of dollars for coronavirus testing and contact tracing in the upcoming stimulus relief bill, two Republican sources told NBC News, even as infections surge across the country and Americans face long wait times to receive test results amid high demand."

That is terrific. My area is not bad, from what I hear. I feel for people in this situation, though:Why is there a delay with some local coronavirus testing? In addition to trying quarantine themselves from loved one, people have to strike a balance between going back to work and waiting on those results. It's tough, for sure :(

ETA - Oh my gosh, there's a link on the right to a new store opening in Mishawaka, IN- Bundt cakes!!!! Cool and best of luck to them :cool:

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in such a place. People in FL and TX are waiting a week or more. Sometimes two weeks. Where I live, it varies from 24 hours to 5 days. In Los Angeles County, they're working to get it back to 48 hours.

From what I'm observing, both the "sent home to quarantine" and the "awaiting test results" groups are not 100% staying isolated. In fact, the second group (waiting for tests) may actually be going to work, as some of my students are doing.

If only everyone would follow the CDC guidelines.

Maybe that’s the turnaround time in your area, but not in many other places.

There are infinite reports on how slow turnaround times negatively impact contact tracing. This isn’t even a question.

Some masks are better than others.

And many thanks to @jjenny and @JaneEyre for their constant encouragement in understanding and making masks.

Thanks for the link. It's good to do a refresher on the different masks.

One thing that I noticed from reading about the masks worn during the 1918 Influenza pandemic, is that people were making their masks out of gauze. I expect this is the light, loosely woven fabric that is used in some bandaging material. Even when masks were made of gauze, they were effective enough that they immediately reduced the spread of influenza. As soon as mask wearing orders were lifted, cases rose. This was repeated a few times.

So, if gauze masks could make a difference, how much more will masks make a difference when they are made with better material.

This is mentioned in the wonderful pictoral link about the Spanish Flu that was posted yesterday. Photos show how San Francisco had to convince its 'mask slackers' to wear masks after many defied the law while the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic seized the city

But it does spread. Contact tracing commences immediately upon a positive result. Delays in test results means all the contacts of that positive case have 3, 5, 8 days to potentially infect others. It's a serious problem. jmo

That's reasonable. 10 days is certainly not. And people won't isolate for that long if they feel ok, so of course it'll carry on spreading.

CVS Covid-19 Test Results Are Taking Longer Than Customers Have Been Told

Covid-19 testing in the US is abysmal. Again.

U.S. bungles coronavirus testing again, this time with delayed results due to hotspots, lack of federal coordination

This is one of the worst things that could have ever happened to mankind, imo, not being able to gather with your own family.

There are so many things about this evil virus, sickening people severely, killing them, crushing our ability to make a living, affecting our children’s education, dividing our people.

There are not enough words for how terrible this virus is.

You are so right. Not being able to be with family (or staying 6 ft. away, with masks), is devastating.

But it does spread. Contact tracing commences immediately upon a positive result. Delays in test results means all the contacts of that positive case have 3, 5, 8 days to potentially infect others. It's a serious problem. jmo

I have faith that testing turnaround times will get better in all areas. Hopefully very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam