FL - Damion Tillman, Keven Springfield, & Brandon Rollins, massacred, Frostproof, 17 July 2020

Did they know their attackers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. I'm still learning the details of this ghastly case but I just don't find this weird. It's the middle of the night, a loved one calls you and says "help". You are now in full-on panic, you have a minor with you, you grab them and get to the where they are at ASAP. I would probably scoop up my dog in the panic, I can't even imagine what was going through his mind.

Sometimes we imagine things using our cooler heads. If only he had taken his cell phone, too.

But when you get a phone call like that? I'm surprised he didn't crash on the way.

MOO.

Completely agree with you that I don’t find Dad particularly unusual, doubt I would have reacted more “reasonably” in his shoes.

Just one correction: Sheriff GJ said in his press conference that Dad first arrived on scene and son was alive & talked to him. Dad then went to area convenience store to access phone. 17y/o was working at store (her parents) and accompanied Dad back to site. There could be a number of reasons for the youths accompaniment including fear for her safety.

Completely agree with you that I don’t find Dad particularly unusual, doubt I would have reacted more “reasonably” in his shoes.

Just one correction: Sheriff GJ said in his press conference that Dad first arrived on scene and son was alive & talked to him. Dad then went to area convenience store to access phone. 17y/o was working at store (her parents) and accompanied Dad back to site. There could be a number of reasons for the youths accompaniment including fear for her safety.

Ah, thank you much. I'm still in the early stages of learning about this. Really appreciate you setting the facts straight.

I think a little too much is being made of the victims being both shot & beaten. As if it implies this must have been a premeditated crime of intense passion. To me it just means that the assailants wanted to ensure the deaths of the victims. For all we know, the bodies could’ve been driven over after being shot.

My hunch is that the first victim, Tillman, was followed down Lake Streety Rd by someone wanting to harm him. The motive may have been a simple robbery, hate crime, something more personal, who knows... He is ultimately stopped and assaulted.

Soon after, Rollins and Springfield arrive, witness the commotion, try to intervene, but are quickly overpowered by gunfire.
I imagine Brandon Rollins called his father DURING the assault, limiting him to a brief cry for help and causing the suspects to take his phone. The scene was probably lit only by the car’s headlights so I’d guess Brandon never knew the identities of the attackers, but gave his dad all the info he could.

Lastly, given Sheriff Judd’s description of the victims as “these three young white men,” (somewhat odd to say) <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
or like someone else said maybe they pulled up on a dangerous individual (like one being sought), or maybe they were lured out there and set up? Maybe road rage that led to this?

Whoever beat these guys is/are full of rage and really wanted to hurt them vs shooting them because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. IMO at least one of these guys was a target.
The Sheriff is also supporting a targeted motive. He stated that the area was isolated to the extent that it is very unlikely that one just pulls up on the wrong person by happenstance. The isolated area would probably reduce a road rage scenario as well.

Other possibilities such as say, deranged individuals claiming a fishing spot don't seem very likely either. The victims were not commercial fishermen whose activities would have placed them in economic competition with another commercial fisher. Even with recreational fishing, there is nothing about the area that was exclusive or where individuals would incur great expense and effort to get there, only to see somebody going to "their spot".

As for being lured, it appears the victims knew the spot and had been there before, perhaps often. Likewise, they were clearly going there to fish, not have a meeting with someone. Though these aspects don't eliminate the lure possibility, they might reduce it.

Rather, I think the totality suggests somebody targeting learning of the target's intended destination (social media?), then inducing him, or forcing him to stop just short of it and attacking him. The attack continued when the other two victims arrived.

I noted Judd’s emphasis on racial descriptor too. Felt like it meant something, but Judd often stresses things oddly in communications. (IMO)

That strikes me as an odd way to put it too unless the sheriff was in an “official report” mode. I hope they may get some passer by video from homes on that road?

What a sad story.

I wonder what the victim spoke to his dad about on the phone call.

None of us have never been in a dying person’s shoes so I’m not sure what took priority for him in that moment. Probably he simply told his dad the location and that the loved him or much more about the crime, we don’t know.

Maybe it’s the true crime enthusiast in me but I feel like if I knew my killer(s) 100% , I would say even just their first name in some distress call to make my family have some sort of knowledge .

I feel like maybe he didn’t know the killer(s) and that’s why LE is appealing to the public for help.

I do find it weird that the dad showed up with a minor to the crime scene.
I think dad was probably in shock and maybe the store owner sent his daughter with the dad to drive him back to his dying son knowing LE would probably beat them back to the crime scene.

I'm going to guess it was just a violent robbery that escalated. I suspect the arrival of the two other guys in the separate truck was unexpected. Maybe the first victim was identified as a good target and followed, or maybe the criminals were actually prowling isolated areas looking for someone(s) alone to assault/rob.

I bet the police have a lot to go on and have a pretty good idea of what happened.

I’m sorry, why would a man bring a minor when returning to the scene of a grisly triple murder? Why was this even mentioned in a news story?
A 17-year-old girl, the daughter of the convenience store’s owner, jumped into the vehicle of Rollins’ father and the two drove back to Lake Streety Road, Judd said.
^^sbm
I think the store owner's daughter reacted to the emergency -- Dad may have not been capable of driving at this point. I think he was in shock.

Well the 17 year old was pretty brave to go with the father of one of the victims to a crime scene !
I'm guessing the reason the father had to go to the convenience store was that one of the assailant's took the victim's phone ?
Which might make it easier to apprehend them.
I'm assuming there could have been more than one attacker ?

The poor families of these young men, my utmost condolences !
What a scary and shocking thing to be headed out for a peaceful evening of fishing only to be brutally murdered.

PCSO: Manhunt underway in Frostproof triple homicide - News - The Ledger - Lakeland, FL

I also wonder if they inadvertently stumbled upon something nefarious that the killers were engaged in ?

Well the 17 year old was pretty brave to go with the father of one of the victims to a crime scene !
I'm guessing the reason the father had to go to the convenience store was that one of the assailant's took the victim's phone ?
Which might make it easier to apprehend them.
I'm assuming there could have been more than one attacker ?

The poor families of these young men, my utmost condolences !
What a scary and shocking thing to be headed out for a peaceful evening of fishing only to be brutally murdered.

PCSO: Manhunt underway in Frostproof triple homicide - News - The Ledger - Lakeland, FL

I also wonder if they inadvertently stumbled upon something nefarious that the killers were engaged in ?

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps when he arrived he saw something he shouldn't have seen. Perhaps he might have confronted them. I don't believe he was followed there. I believe the killers were already there.

<modsnip>
The Sheriff also stated that the totality of the circumstances point towards a targeted attack. In targeted attacks, the victim and the assailant usually are of the same ethnicity.

Targeted attacks are usually based on strong emotions. People, on average tend to form more close interactions with members of their own ethnicity. Thus, negative interactions tend to be between people of the same ethnicity.

Though there are plenty of exceptions to the above, statistically, my guess is that the assailants are not only white, but from the same social class and local culture as that of the victims.

Road Rage moves to the top of the list......

Suspected scenario based on image.

Light Bar on....High intensity as we can see it on in broad daylight in a photo.
Damion Tillman (Red truck) passenger from tire shows wet red clay from edge of road. Meaning he moved over to far right.
Brandon and Kevin (White Truck) parallel to Red truck indicates that the suspects vehicle was further ahead behind red truck
Verbal altercation leads to parties exiting vehicles staggering the initial vehicles position.

Escalation

Suspect(s) physical altercation escalated to shooting.
Suspect(s) anticipating possible CCW in white truck.

Suspect Profile
Makes suspect(s) felon or another CCW.
Ballistics will narrow search....

IMG_20200718_103616.jpg

Listen to dads comment 2:48. Dad hears arguing in back ground.
This means that call to dad was made before the shooting.

Last edited:
The Sheriff is also supporting a targeted motive. He stated that the area was isolated to the extent that it is very unlikely that one just pulls up on the wrong person by happenstance. The isolated area would probably reduce a road rage scenario as well.

Other possibilities such as say, deranged individuals claiming a fishing spot don't seem very likely either. The victims were not commercial fishermen whose activities would have placed them in economic competition with another commercial fisher. Even with recreational fishing, there is nothing about the area that was exclusive or where individuals would incur great expense and effort to get there, only to see somebody going to "their spot".

As for being lured, it appears the victims knew the spot and had been there before, perhaps often. Likewise, they were clearly going there to fish, not have a meeting with someone. Though these aspects don't eliminate the lure possibility, they might reduce it.

Rather, I think the totality suggests somebody targeting learning of the target's intended destination (social media?), then inducing him, or forcing him to stop just short of it and attacking him. The attack continued when the other two victims arrived.

I’m wanting to agree. I’m just finding it hard to believe that this is random. I know people “do things” in these isolated spots but this smells more like an ambush to me.

I haven't seen any media regarding a rebel flag. If there was one on any of the trucks they may have been removed by the perps or LE removed them. That isn't to say they don't exist. I've seen plenty when traveling to our place in Gulfport Fl. The climate in the US right is a tinderbox. So I can see confrontations regarding that issue at the moment.

However, the sheriff seems to think the victims may have known the killers. It appeared to be a musing based on the rural aspects of the location, rather than an actual fact. Rollins could have been followed by a vehicle and thought nothing of it since he was to meet two of his friends at the lake.

<modsnip: Discussing "comments" is not allowed. They are considered rumor.>

There could be multiple reasons why the father didn't use his son's phone: damaged, taken, covered in blood, security lock, etc. And straight up panic. As for the question so many ask about why he called his dad and not 911. If dying people call for their mommas then it's not too far outside the realm of possibilities that Rollins was calling for his dad. And I've heard a lot of 911 calls, sometimes the dispatcher's spend precious time asking for location, etc when all he wanted to do is tell his dad who did it because he knew he wasn't going to make it.

I think he called his dad on the land line because I believe the dad would have continued to keep his son on the line while he tried to get to him if he'd called a cell phone.

It could be quite possible that the people who owned the store where the father called 911 wanted to help anyway they could but didn't want to leave a 17 year old girl alone in the store and decided to close so they all accompanied the father to the crime scene.

I’m wanting to agree. I’m just finding it hard to believe that this is random. I know people “do things” in these isolated spots but this smells more like an ambush to me.
I think we have the same views.

I meant only to state that a random act of aggression based on a fuzzy motive is possible, but not likely. As with you, I am thinking the attack was an ambush by a person(s) who knew the victim's intended destination, arrived early and waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288