FL - Damion Tillman, Keven Springfield, & Brandon Rollins, massacred, Frostproof, 17 July 2020

Did they know their attackers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were the trucks of the victims in opposite directions of all 3 we’re heading to the lake?
I see the red GMC facing forward and no longer see the white truck. What direction was the white ford facing? (Red and white trucks identified as belonging to the victims).

ETA: add photo from my news post upthread. Red truck exiting, white truck entering??

10abdc8b-beeb-450e-a857-3108af5055c5.jpg

Last edited:
Meth/drugs/illicit $ are definite possible variables.
Rollins and Springfield have extensive arrest records.

Thank you for this. I tried to research this myself but short of paying one of those “stalker-sites” I couldn’t find anything. But yes this is critical info.

It doesn’t mean these boys weren’t going out there to fish that night, but it increases the odds enormously that this attack was gang/drug related.

I don’t know enough about this part of Florida and which <modsnip> Death Cult claims Polk County as its turf, but now this could be any kind of dispute involving that criminal underworld.

And I don’t mean to impugn the character of the victims, but if these guys were somewhat hardened themselves yet were slaughtered in their trucks with relative ease, they must’ve been confronted by a force more dangerous than your average criminal.
My evolved theory is this was a planned gang murder. And perhaps the savagery that has been alluded to was a machete attack.

Still a big big bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's entirely possible that the father's actions in that situation were not logical. But leaving his critically injured and helpless son lying in the dark crime scene, not knowing where the attackers were, seems so unlikely it suggests the son was not alive when the father arrived. It makes me consider that the sheriff wants the perpetrators to believe a victim lived long enough to provide information critical to identifying them.

The sheriff 's hedge about one or more assailants suggests the son was not alive or was unable to communicate when his father arrived also. If the son could speak, the sheriff would have definitive information. The father would have been asking what happened when he discovered his son injured and his friends dead. If his son was able to speak, he'd have said the name(s) of the attackers if he recognized him/them. If it was a random attack, the pronouns would indicate whether they'd been attacked by one person or more than one.

All my opinion only.
I agree with what you’ve stated. I was also thinking earlier the same that the sheriff wants the killer(s) to think the dying man said something incriminating. JMO.

They were beaten and shot. No matter their past arrest records. JMO.

I don't think bringing up their past records is an indictment of who the victims were but it would be foolish not to investigate any lead, especially those drug related, even if that rolls back to the victims. The focus is on finding who did it and if that means there was a relationship between victim and perp, then so be it. MOO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8538645/Murder-three-friends-fishing-targeted-attack.html

July 19, 2020

Three best friends killed after being beaten and shot while out fishing in Florida may have been the victims of a targeted attack, police say.

Damion Tillman, 23; Keven Springfield, 30; and Brandon Rollins, 27, all died in the Friday night massacre. They were found by the father of one of the men who managed to call for help just before he died.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said: 'You don’t just stumble upon somebody out here.' He described the crime scene as 'the worst I have ever seen'.

The three men were fishing at a popular lake in Frostproof, 70 miles south of Orlando in central Florida.

30930844-8538645-Brandon_Rollins_27_was_murdered_on_Friday_night_on_a_fishing_tri-m-95_1595176695512.jpg

30946732-8538645-image-a-96_1595176710061.jpg

30946728-8538645-image-a-97_1595176711542.jpg

Brandon Rollins, 27, left, Damion Tillman, 23, center, Keven Springfield, 30, right, and all died in the Friday night massacre. They were found by the father of one of the men who managed to call for help just before he died

Tillman traveled to Lake Streety first and arrived by himself, according to sheriff Judd.

When Rollins and Springfield arrived soon after, Tillman was being beaten by unknown attackers, and the two friends intervened to help Tillman and were shot.

Rollins called his father at about 10pm Friday and managed to only say 'help.'

The father jumped into his car and went to where his son had said he was going fishing.

They were beaten and shot. No matter their past arrest records. JMO.
Nobody is suggesting murder is acceptable because a victim had a record for drug offenses and domestic violence. To solve a crime, you have to narrow down infinite possibilities to likely scenarios and start there. That starts with considerinng who the victims were, where they were, and what was happening at the scene at the time. That's not victim blaming; it is focusing the investigation.

Most likely the call was made as the white truck neared the scene and they exited the truck.
Not knowing the true level of the event the call could have been a subtle distress call.

Fussing is a southern term of quarreling back and forth. Opposed to arguing or fighting.
This is how the father could have left the phone as he was not alerted to a life threatening event and placed in a lower level of panic.

The father stated hearing the single word of "help" opposed to "I've been shot" could point to a pre-shooting call.

More info

Clearer picture can be visualized.

Prior Drug involvement changes the event, Road Rage drops down and Drug Robbery moves up......

"No record for Tillman -- innocent victim" would place he as a purchaser as no prior convictions makes him the safer buyer
from a "vise sting".

Potential drug robbery

In that Tillman was there first and alone. A potential Drug robbery was in progress by the dealer.
The white truck driving up on a single lane road causes the dealers to anticipate an ambush and the aggressive shooting starts.

The headlights of the white truck becomes an important indicator of intent.
The close proximity of time creates a question of who was ambushing who?

Call detail or text message to dealer should be present. In Dealer scenario.

Last edited:
I don't think bringing up their past records is an indictment of who the victims were but it would be foolish not to investigate any lead, especially those drug related, even if that rolls back to the victims. The focus is on finding who did it and if that means there was a relationship between victim and perp, then so be it. MOO
Of course LE will investigate all facts that could be relevant, like they always do. Perhaps I didn’t express my viewpoint clearly. I would hope that the general public will not think any less of these men if it is indeed determined this crime had a drug related connection. That’s all I meant.

I agree with what you’ve stated. I was also thinking earlier the same that the sheriff wants the killer(s) to think the dying man said something incriminating. JMO.
I can't imagine the grisly scene Brandon's father came upon. He said he couldn't make sense of what was happening, and understandably so. It seems more likely he would have taken any of the 3 when he went for help if they were alive. He might have tried. We don't know if he struggled to get Brandon into his vehicle and couldn't manage it, so he was forced to leave him to get help. Brandon was sleight, but his father may have physical limitations. It is wise of the sheriff to indicate Brandon spoke to his father. Whether he was able to convey anything of substance, it increases pressure on the killers. Maybe it will push someone with relevant information to call the tipline more quickly. If it seems police know more about the killers and you had information, you'd want to call it in before they get arrested so you get the reward.

Most likely the call was made as the white truck neared the scene and they exited the truck.
Not knowing the true level of the event the call could have been a subtle distress call.

Fussing is a southern term of quarreling back and forth. Opposed to arguing or fighting.
This is how the father could have left the phone as he was not alerted to a life threatening event and placed in a lower level of panic.

The father stated hearing the single word of "help" opposed to "I've been shot" could point to a pre-shooting call.

More info

Clearer picture can be visualized.

Prior Drug involvement changes the event, Road Rage drops down and Drug Robbery moves up......

"No record for Tillman -- innocent victim" would place he as a purchaser as no prior convictions makes him the safer buyer
from a "vise sting".

Potential drug robbery

In that Tillman was there first and alone. A potential Drug robbery was in progress by the dealer.
The white truck driving up on a single lane road causes the dealers to anticipate an ambush and the aggressive shooting starts.

The headlights of the white truck becomes an important indicator of intent.
The close proximity of time creates a question of who was ambushing who?

Call detail or text message to dealer should be present. In Dealer scenario.
Inobu, can you please explain what you mean about the headlights on the white truck? My knowledge of cars is limited to a few general categories and color. I think you are referencing special lights like spotlights mounted on top of the cab, like in the Ahmaud Arbery killing. But I don't see them in the photo of the white truck. Can you be more specific about what you see and why it is important? Thank you!

Son calls his dad in distress -- asking for help.
Dad races to the crime scene leaving his phone at home.
Dad finds his son barely alive, others dead, but leaves his son to drive to the convenience store to call 911.

Why didn't he use his son's phone?

Damion’s phone may well have had a passcode, which his father did not know.

Damion’s phone may well have had a passcode, which his father did not know.
You can dial the emergency number from a cell phone without the pass code. Most likely the father panicked and wasn't thinking straight, or possibly the battery had gone flat or the killers took the phone after he'd called his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks