SC SC - John, 47, & Elizabeth Calvert, 45, Hilton Head, 3 March 2008

I just finished reading this thread. We used to spend 7-10 days on the Harbour Town basin over the 4th years ago (stayed in a condo, not on a boat). The last time we were there was July 2007. I would occasionally keep up with local news on Hilton Head via Internet. I saw the news about the Calvert's disappearance when it happened, was shocked. We spent our 4ths there over a 4-5 year period. I've always loved being around boats docked, it's beautiful & peaceful. I enjoyed just looking as we walked to shop & eat, always noticed the boat names & remember seeing the Yellow Jacket. As LE proceeded I kept up. Hard to believe the case just seemed to die so quickly. Gerwing killed himself not long after the Calvert's disappearing & that's as far as it went---LE continued to investigate but it just fizzled out.

This is is so sad. The Calverts were 'here to day, gone tomorrow', no trace no nothin'. IF Gerwing did in fact bury this couple in a swampy area it's very unlikely their remaims will ever be found. Yes, this could be one of those isolated cases where just one perp was involved. BUT there seems to be some things very questionable.... this one man overpowered this couple, circumstances surrounding his suicide & the fact Gerwing was stealing from other clients which his associates discovered.

After reading here I'm more informed of the aspects. Brings up lots of legitimate questions. I remember one of you here posting works for a firm that does forensic accounting---I think it was you who stated that embezzlement cases most always involve a single person as more participants increases risk of getting caught. That makes sense & is what you hear reported when such cases hit the news.

Hoping someday LE finds the truth of these circumstances for the Calvert's families & friends.

What a strange and tragic case. It caught my eye because we have vacationed yearly in Hilton for the last 13 or 14 years, until this year we weren't able to go. Im actually wondering if someone else was involved, if Gerwings death could have been a staged suicide.

Human remains found in Hilton Head woods

"The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating reports of skeletal human remains found on Hilton Head Island Saturday in a wooded area on Spanish Wells Rd., according to the sheriff’s office.

The remains were found by the landowner late Christmas Eve afternoon, said Sherriff’s Office spokesman Capt. Bob Bromage. Deputies arrived at the scene and confirmed the remains were human. The identity of the deceased as well as the cause and manner of death are still not known due to the condition of the remains, Bromage said. The age of the remains is also not yet determined..."

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article122886119.html

I thought this could be a possibility

Human remains found in Hilton Head woods

"The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating reports of skeletal human remains found on Hilton Head Island Saturday in a wooded area on Spanish Wells Rd., according to the sheriff’s office.

The remains were found by the landowner late Christmas Eve afternoon, said Sherriff’s Office spokesman Capt. Bob Bromage. Deputies arrived at the scene and confirmed the remains were human. The identity of the deceased as well as the cause and manner of death are still not known due to the condition of the remains, Bromage said. The age of the remains is also not yet determined..."

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article122886119.html

I thought this could be a possibility

Looks like a good possibility. Only 7 miles from the Harbour Town Yacht Club where they were expected for a business meeting: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Har...8cb613bbc0d0e1!2m2!1d-80.7611818!2d32.1969854

Calvert couple’s case still unsolved 9 years later

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article136469518.html

It has been nine years since John and Elizabeth Calvert went missing on Hilton Head Island.

The couple was reported missing by Elizabeth Calvert’s brother on March 4, 2008, after the pair was supposed to confront their accountant who they believed had been embezzling money from the couple’s business interests, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office news release.

The couple’s accountant, Dennis Gerwing, told investigators that he met with the Calverts on March 3 around 5:30 p.m., but his tale “revealed major inconsistencies and substantiated suspicion of his involvement in the disappearance of the Calverts,” according to the release. Investigators found out that Gerwing cut his hand on the night of the couple’s disappearance and also bought bandages, latex gloves and commercial grade drop cloths, according to the release.

Gerwing committed suicide on March 11 before the Calverts’ disappearance could be solved. In Gerwing’s suicide note, he admitted to the embezzlement but neither admitted to nor denied being involved in the Calverts’ disappearance.

The Calverts were declared dead in 2009 but their bodies were never found. The gun believed to be the murder weapon was also never recovered. The investigation is now considered a cold case and remains unsolved.

10 years later, this couple’s disappearance remains Hilton Head’s greatest mystery

The couple, who lived part time in an Atlanta suburb and part time in Harbour Town on The Yellow Jacket, their 40-foot yacht, had discovered that money was missing from their businesses, which had been managed by The Club Group, Gerwing specifically.

They wanted to know why. If Gerwing gave them answers that day, we’ll likely never know.

Instead we are left with this: John and Liz were never seen or heard from again and eight days after their disappearance, Gerwing killed himself in the most hideous of ways, leaving behind two notes, both of which afforded him the perfect opportunity to articulate what he had known of the Calverts’ fate – to explain what he or what someone else had done to them.

Gerwing took a pass on that opportunity.

They wrote the book using sheriff’s office reports, written statements from witnesses, photos from the scene of Gerwing’s suicide and interviews with key figures in the case, including Bromage, Tanner, lead investigator Angela Viens, Gerwing’s brother Fred, co-workers of the Calverts, and Gerwing’s longtime but then-estranged girlfriend Nancy Barry, who was living in his million-dollar Wilmot Avenue home in Columbia.

The book goes into great detail about the facts of the case and explores the plausibility of popular theories on the whys, the whos and the wheres.

“My feeling was, if we wrote the book and got the information out there, then someone would be able to help finish this and discover the real truth,” Ovens said. “... I would really be happy if we could solve this for both families.”

Deceit, Disappearance & Death on Hilton Head Island is the name of the book recently published.

[h=1]Hilton Head couple still missing ten years later[/h]
“I lived here 39 years and I knew Dennis Gerwing, I knew John and Liz Calvert. I had worked with all of them in different ways. And so when the Calverts disappeared it was very interesting to try to figure out how to solve the mystery,” Ovens said.

Elizabeth Calvert was an attorney for UPS in Savannah. Her husband, John, handled boats in Sea Pines’ Harbour Town.
The couple disappeared the night they confronted their accountant Dennis Gerwing about stealing money from them.
“That was the last person to see them alive. And after that evening on the 3rd, the next day, Dennis was going around town saying, ‘I think I’m the last person to see them alive!'” Ovens said.
When interviewed by investigators, Gerwing’s story didn’t add up.

“There was a lot of suspicious activity on the part of Dennis Gerwing right around the time that he was supposed to meet with them on Monday, March 3 of 2008,” said Capt. Bob Bromage with the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office found Gerwing cut his hand that night and bought bandages, latex gloves, and three large drop cloths. Sheriff P.J. Tanner said in a press conference at the time that the drop cloths were big enough to wrap bodies.
A week later, Gerwing committed suicide.
http://wsav.com/2018/03/05/hilton-head-couple-still-missing-ten-years-later/

It's been a while since I read this thread, but I don't remember reading about the drop cloths before.

Thanks for the link Woofie. Self inflicted knife wounds to the chest? Why do that if you planned to make a single fatal cut to your thigh?

http://www.islandpacket.com/breaking_news/story/252868.html

An autopsy report said Gerwing had been dead about 12 hours when he was found. His body had a gash across his inner thigh, according to the Sheriff’s Office, and multiple knife wounds to the chest, a source told The State. Authorities are treating it as a self-inflicted death, though they acknowledge the circumstances of the apparent suicide are odd, The State reported.

Just got done watching their episode on disappeard. I can't believe or its very hard to believe that the POI not only slashed his inner thigh but multiple stamps in chest. Mho, someone(s) else stabbed him

FYI: Just now saw that the ID channel has a new documentary (this year, 2020) Called Hometown Homicide - “In Too Deep” about the Calverts.
Showing 12 - 1 AM tonight.. well actually early this Friday morning. And again 2-3 PM tomorrow (this Saturday).

FYI: Just now saw that the ID channel has a new documentary (this year, 2020) Called Hometown Homicide - “In Too Deep” about the Calverts.
Showing 12 - 1 AM tonight.. well actually early this Friday morning. And again 2-3 PM tomorrow (this Saturday).

Looks like anyone with a cable package can watch it on the ID website: Investigation Discovery - Official Site

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back