AZ AZ - Adrienne Salinas, 19, Tempe, 15 Jun 2013 - #8

I can't believe its been over 6 years since she went missing. This is one case that's never left my mind, I think of Adrienne often. I hope her family has found some sense of peace and hope one day justice gets served. Adrienne, you have not been forgotten <3

nope, she absolutely has not been forgotten. She, too, was one of the first cases I got involved in here... We still see her beautiful face in news stories when they discuss unsolved cases here... I'd love to read a new interview with her BF. You never know what you might remember, or if things look differently in retrospect. This poor family and those who knew and loved her...

“According to a Tempe police report, investigators found a Blackberry cell phone and a notebook in the driver's seat of Adrienne's car. Police said they photographed the phone before turning the car over to Adrienne's family.

A full day later, a Tempe detective noticed the car had never been impounded. The police report says when they towed the car and searched it for evidence, the phone and the notebook were no longer there.

Adrienne’s mom had the notebook, but no one admitted to knowing where the phone was. So, the only information police have to verify where Adrienne was are her phone records.

Tempe police would not comment on the phone, saying that information is part of their ongoing investigation.”

Missing cell phone could provide clues in 2013 murder of Adrienne Salinas
May 3, 2019
Updated: May 17, 2019

Good catch. It would be nice to know whether the Blackberry was Adrienne's phone. I thought I recalled reading that her phone was a Motorola Android smartphone or the equivalent - not a Blackberry and nothing with a physical keyboard. But I just looked and couldn't find any indication that it was ever reported what kind of phone she used (there was an Instagram screencap posted that may have showed the back of her phone, but it wasn't identified).

If this was her phone and the one she was using the night she went missing, this would be a game changer. It would probably place her at her car at and/or after her last alleged contact with the cab driver. The fact her phone was found in her car could also have the potential to tell us more than that - as would the fact that it went missing after LE had found it. Someone with access to it apparently had incentive to see that it went missing.

Of course, if it wasn't her phone, whose phone was it? This feels like something that should have been made public if there was any chance that it had belonged to the perp.

^^ To list some of the new information presented in the channel 12 report:

- Lead detective claims that LE does not know when Adrienne was killed.

- Adrienne's roommate says they had sort of a sick joke between them - Adrienne knew she could be "stolen" into someone's car and they would joke about it. Detail is vague, but it sounds almost like she may have had a premonition, and the two would joke about it.

- The boyfriend has consistently been very cooperative and there is absolutely nothing suspicious about him.

- The report says Adrienne didn't call for a cab until about 4:45 am (this IMO is either a mistake or deliberate misinfo, it contradicts facts previously revealed).

- There is an entire chapter on "Who Killed Adrienne Salinas." It is solely about cabbie and his father.

- When investigators initially called cabbie to speak with him (conference call including his father), he was driving passengers in the Grand Canyon area. His passengers heard the conversation or at least part of it, and they felt uncomfortable because they thought the conversation seemed weird and the cabbie seemed odd. Then, later on in Sedona, cabbie popped his trunk and pulled a hacksaw out of his trunk. This is when his passengers officially became scared of him (and I am presuming that they proactively contacted police).

- There is a screen shot of part of a police report (?) about that phone call. It seems cabby (maybe his father) told the police that he did not remember making an arrangement to pick Adrienne up. Other content is clipped, but you can see that someone, possibly cabbie, before or after Adrienne's disappearance, had sent a text to a female (maybe Adrienne) saying it was "not nice to call a cab and then [clipped content]."

- Cabbie is shown refusing a polygraph (personally I think polygraphs are useless in this sort of context, no judgment here) - he says he 'doesn't trust those things' and then that his lawyer advised him to refuse, and to stop talking to police...because at this point they were just "hassling him." Then police got a warrant to take his DNA. Cabby is shown alone in an interrogation room, with a knocked over chair, kicking an empty water bottle like it was a soccer ball. When personnel enters, he is confrontational. He feels victimized because he was embarrassed in front of his neighbors. "How are you gonna fix my life after this."

- They go to take buccal swabs, and he becomes more confrontational, asking why they need to do it. He seems self righteous about being a taxi driver who works hard and does his job. At some point he goes on a rant about how, as a taxi driver, all he does is help people, he has probably helped more people as a taxi driver than [the police personnel present] have ever helped in their entire lives. He seems to think he was a victim to begin with because he received a call from a lady, went to pick her up, and she wasn't there. Before this stuff, regarding the buccal swabs, he says in a confrontational tone "Does this mean you found her? I hope you found her."

- A week or two after this, police received a call from a woman who said that her cousin had heard a woman screaming in distress at cabbie's apartment on July 8th (about a month before Adrienne's body was found). Police "investigated" but weren't let in to his residence and didn't have a warrant because they were not able to get in touch with the woman's cousin. A screenshot of a police report suggests that the woman's cousin was not willing to come forward because he/she feared deportation.

- Lead detective thought that cabbie Sr's Youtube video (showing Adrienne's path to AMPM) was odd. Detective infers that cabbie Sr was never as cooperative as it may have seemed, and could even be a potential suspect.

- Cabbie Sr. is shown in a video proposing that Adrienne could have been picked up by a competing cab company - not because the driver was a predator on the prowl per se but because the industry is highly competitive and another company could have been trying to steal his business at 5 AM on a Saturday morning. Also, he was arrested fairly recently after a girlfriend claimed that he extorted sex from her.

- Finally, there is a chapter on Bryan Patrick Miller. He is under investigation but police have not spoken to him regarding Adrienne. I don't think anything new is revealed, but former friend Keen Azariah claims that about a year before Adrienne's disappearance, him and BPM were participating in this scavenger/treasure hunt sort of thing, and based on a clue BPM suggested they go look around Weekes Wash. Weekes Wash was where Adrienne's body was dumped and/or found.

That is interesting. It’s certainly possible that another cab came by and picked her up. In her state she might not have known which company she called and actually got into a different cab. I wonder if there were any other calls for cabs in the area that morning or if someone had been dropped off around that time in the same area? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What is his relationship to Adrienne?

I'm not aware that there is a relationship, beyond that he may be a serial killer and she may have fallen victim to a serial killer.

Of course, same last name, so who knows?

He went by Gerrardo Barraza on FB. The Salinas side of his family seems to be split between the Tucson metro, and Mexico.

What is the story with her phone? Supposedly it was in her car when car was initially found, and returned to family but phone was not in car when impounded? Police say they have a photo of the phone in her car? Was just reading old articles. Anyway, what could phone tell them they could not obtain from records?

What is the story with her phone? Supposedly it was in her car when car was initially found, and returned to family but phone was not in car when impounded? Police say they have a photo of the phone in her car? Was just reading old articles. Anyway, what could phone tell them they could not obtain from records?
I don’t think the phone can tell us any more than the phone records can tell us.

For text messages, the records might give LE the phone numbers but I'm guessing they need the phone for the actual content of the text messages. Other than that LE would likely have to get the phones of whoever was texting with Adrienne.

This is 7 years now and it doesn't appear to be closer to being solved. I wonder, if while waiting for a cab, someone Adrienne knew offered her a ride. Someone she trusted. I imagine LE has tried to check the other cab companies or at least I hope so.

It may not be about what was on the phone but why it's gone missing, who disposed of it? nervous about what was on there perhaps.
Right and if the implication is that the phone was there when they returned it to the family, then someone within the family or close to the family took it. I wonder who they released it to? And the obvious question is why would anyone close to her take the phone in the first place and not turn it over in the hopes that it might hold some clue. I wonder if there was anyone in her family that had it out for her.

“When you have a case like this there will be nights and nights and nights that you don’t sleep. You only think about the case. What we have done, what we could do, and what should we have done,” Detective Alan Akey, told News 15 in an exclusive interview, “Adrienne Salinas found dead 4 years ago, case remains unsolved.”

“Was it a crime of opportunity or was it something a little more where somebody who had a little more interest in her, was paying a little more attention to her and took that opportunity?” asked Detective Akey.
Crossing Paths with Evil: The Murder of Adrienne Salinas

That is interesting. It’s certainly possible that another cab came by and picked her up. In her state she might not have known which company she called and actually got into a different cab. I wonder if there were any other calls for cabs in the area that morning or if someone had been dropped off around that time in the same area? Any thoughts?
Very creepy and I need to read way more on this case, but the cab driver makes me feel uneasy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back